KHSAA Commissioner prepares “Doomsday” contingency plan for fall sports

(Photo: © @IzayahCummings)

(Photo: © @IzayahCummings)

Decision-makers across the state are formulating plans to move forward out of the coronavirus lockdown. As options become clearer, one worst case scenario would radically change the high school sports calendar.

Friday morning the athletics subcommittee of Lexington Mayor Linda Gorton’s economic response committee met virtually to discuss recommended procedures and guidelines for the return of youth sports. UK deputy athletics director DeWayne Peevy and KHSAA commissioner Julian Tackett were included in the meeting.

Most of the details focused on how participants would enter and exit athletic facilities while social distancing. When youth sports return kids may have to wait in cars while others completed their time on the field.

As their discussion neared a close, Tackett briefly addressed what could be the KHAA’s worst case scenario for high school athletic events in the 2020-21 calendar year.

“I’m calling it the ‘Doomsday Plan’ that I’ve been working on which would take our fall sports and play them in-between winter and spring if we didn’t get a fall.” Tackett’s remarks were met with a sigh from the audience, “But you gotta have a doomsday plan.”

There is already an overlap between the winter and spring sports. If a basketball player makes a deep run in the postseason, it conflicts with baseball and track and field events. In this scenario, football, field hockey, cross country, golf, soccer and volleyball would also take place in the spring.

Obviously, the logistics and specific details of this “doomsday plan” are currently unknown. One can only hope the KHSAA does not have to break glass in case of emergency, but if coronavirus prevents high school athletic events from happening this fall, there is a working plan in place.

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

9 Comments for KHSAA Commissioner prepares “Doomsday” contingency plan for fall sports

1. espn8122
    2:45 pm May 15, 2020 Permalink

Well….he will have to see what our extra cautious lord and savior Andy Beshear sais-he is the almighty lord. I am getting my COVID test so when I bow as Beshear’s feet, he will say job well done my good and faithful servant.

• JASUN74
      4:03 pm May 15, 2020 Permalink

I know you’re board and trying to be the cool guy in class, but that’s getting old. It may have been funny the first time but it’s time to get some new material my friend. Lol

Andy is just doing what he has to do and he takes his orders like every one else. I think he’s done an outstanding job to be honest, especially in a time where there’s no way he could win everyone over.

I think he’s deserves a lot of credit myself. Just one mans opinion. Thanks, I’m seriously not trying to be an ass, but I don’t think anyone else could have done any better than he has. Some messed up times right now for sure.

• espn8122
      4:20 pm May 15, 2020 Permalink

JASUN you told me it’s getting old. Guess what I will continue to be a bigger horses backside at whoever and whomever until this is done. Yea Im bored and would love to smack you upside the head.

2. UKFaninCO
    2:56 pm May 15, 2020 Permalink

Get out of the dang foxhole people!

3. Mr.Incognito
    3:04 pm May 15, 2020 Permalink

Sorry the safety of other people requires you to be inconvenienced.

Lives only matter when you don’t have to do anything to help protect them apparently.

Wear a mask?!?! Postpone football?!?!

It’s barbaric!!! SMH, put your big boy pants on and get some perspective of the bigger picture, you petulant overgrown children.

/end rant/

• espn8122
      3:16 pm May 15, 2020 Permalink

Well said. You are a good servant of master Beshear Mr. Incognito. You are the end all be all and life should stop.

4. UKrailbird
    4:11 pm May 15, 2020 Permalink

“When youth sports return kids may have to wait in cars while others completed their time on the field.”

Dumbest statement I have seen regarding this topic. You literally have players exchanging blood, sweat, and saliva on the football field, yet you feel it necessary to relegate others to their cars. So much for common sense and logic. Besides, “Little Andy” will most likely still have the entire state in lockdown #1 when fall sports season arrives anyway.

• rickat
      5:36 pm May 15, 2020 Permalink

Simple math makes it obvious that the more folks a person interacts with increases their chance to contract the virus. Maybe you should have spent less time watching competition and more time in math class.

• jpgfile
      5:40 pm May 15, 2020 Permalink

I’m afraid that is going to be the rule this summer in the state where I live now. Parents have to stay in the car during practice (no helping out) and before their kid’s game, no players sharing water fountains, no use of the bleachers for fans, no attendees who don’t live in the same house as the player, no post-game handshakes or coach’s pep talks.