Kerry Blackshear Jr. met with Calipari on Monday after all

Glenn Beil | USA TODAY Sports

Glenn Beil | USA TODAY Sports

On Monday, Rivals reported that John Calipari met with Kerry Blackshear Jr., the grad transfer from Virginia Tech. Later that night, Blackshear’s father told Adam Zagoria the visit didn’t happen, but was in the works. As we suspected, it turns out that meeting happened after all.

This morning, Zagoria tweeted that because EJ Montgomery and Nick Richards are testing the NBA Draft waters, Blackshear’s father tried to keep the meeting under wraps, presumably out of respect for Kentucky’s coaching staff.

Blackshear’s going to take his time with the decision — which may still include going to the NBA — but it’s good to see Kentucky’s making him a priority. If he does decide to come to Lexington, he’ll fill a crucial need inside with scoring and rebounding completely separate from Montgomery and Richards. Add in Johnny Juzang, who may reclassify, on the wing and that’s a mighty fine roster.

[mobile_ad]

22 Comments for Kerry Blackshear Jr. met with Calipari on Monday after all

1. Smyrna_Cat
    10:51 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

Interesting. Recruiting is weird and dishonest.

2. Smyrna_Cat
    10:52 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

Thank you for sharing.

3. StillBP
    10:52 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

basketball has become a soap opera with the drama it brings. I don’t get the reasoning for his dad being untruthful about the visit. I mean I read what he said, but it doesn’t seem to make a lot of sense.

• Realme
      10:56 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, that reasoning makes no sense.

• Maybe it’s because Cal didn’t want Nick or EJ to feel pressure to immediately make a final decision about leaving or staying.

• StillBP
      11:47 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

EJ had already declared over the weekend and Nick declared the same day the visit happened. Neither have to make a final decision about staying/leaving for weeks and the cat would be out of the bag about the visit before then anyway (clearly, as it is out of the bag now). Still doesn’t make sense to me. But the good news is that it doesn’t really have to make sense to me lol

• StillBP
      11:48 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

EJ declared before the weekend, not over the weekend, I meant to say

4. thomaswaynem
    10:52 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

If Cal asked the family to deny the report and they did…you have to assume that bodes well.

5. katmancsm
    11:15 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

KB, the BBN wants you. You could be the final piece of a Championship run. Practicing and playing in an environment that will develop your skills to full potential is priceless. We may be biased but our history of preparing players for the next level speaks for itself. ALL OUR PLAYERS are BMOC. Come on down. You won’t regret it.

• bosch8184
      10:36 pm April 24, 2019 Permalink

??? yeah we’re making a championship run with no experience, mediocre guard play, potentially 2 big men. LOL.

6. jasonclark1984
    11:21 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

I would love to see him join uk and ej and nick stay that plus Nate would be an awesome front court play each one about 15-20 each keeps em fresh and explosive plus limits injuries. I would have Nate at 4 nick at the 5 then switch out with jr at the 4 and ej 5. Plus hopefully that gives ej and nick enough confidence to stay another year if need be

7. 2015betterthan1996
    12:25 pm April 24, 2019 Permalink

IF we are fortunate and get both Juzang and Blackshear Jr. we may me in the (fortunate) position to have a squad worthy of platooning again. I know some people hated it (I didn’t) but we will 10 legitimate players who on paper deserve playing time:
    PG: Hagans, Quickley
    SG: Maxey, Juzang
    SF: Whitney, Brooks
    PF: EJ, Sestina
    C: Blackshear Jr, Richards

That would be an unbelievably deep roster.

• TonyMontana
      1:20 pm April 24, 2019 Permalink

I loved the platoon. It was a thing of beauty.

• UKBigBlueForever
      2:32 pm April 24, 2019 Permalink

I loved the platoon too. but I don’t even honestly like thinking about that year, I was depressed for like 2 weeks. “If they would’ve called the shot-clock violation on Wisconsin” would the game have turned out differently? I think if Ulis got more PT, we would’ve beat Wisconsin and ended up 40-0. But the Platoon was a GREAT problem to have and most definitely would welcome it once again! I just want an early loss, even if just 1 loss lol, so the heartbreak isn’t as bad if we don’t win the whole thing.

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      3:39 pm April 24, 2019 Permalink

The problem with the platoon then was we didn’t have a true SF type player. Maybe James Young but he played the 2. Poythress and Lyles weren’t good for those roles. This team wouldn’t have that problem at all. Give me
      C-Richards
      PF-Blackshear
      SF-Juzang
      SG-Maxey
      PG-Hagans

C-Montgomery
      PF-Sestina
      SF-Whitney
      SG-Brooks(Told by Cal he would be used like Knox was)
      PG-Quickley

• Skooms
      7:37 pm April 24, 2019 Permalink

James Young wasn’t on that team.

• Skooms
      7:38 pm April 24, 2019 Permalink

And Poythress sat out pretty much the entire year with a torn ACL. Come on man, step up your UK history game! Lol jk

8. UKBigBlueForever
    2:21 pm April 24, 2019 Permalink

He would be a HUGE get for us. He’s like an experienced EJ, or at least that’s kind of what I saw with the glimpses of him I have seen.

Who does everyone else think he compares to? Looks like he’s got great passing vision too.

9. BobbyBlue
    2:48 pm April 24, 2019 Permalink

Kid may have handlers that are not pro Ky for whatever reason and it was done secretly to block them getting involved.
    It has happened before over the years with cancelled,visits the result.

10. Ridge Runner
    2:54 pm April 24, 2019 Permalink

If we do get him, Hope his dad isn’t a weird-dad for distraction purposes only.

11. VirginiaCat
    4:37 pm April 24, 2019 Permalink

Suggest that we give the father the benefit of the doubt. Keep in mind that things that are relayed second and third hand often get jumbled. It sounds like his intent was to be respectful and that is good enough for me until it’s proven otherwise.

12. BackinBlue