Kentucky’s craft beer ranked fourth best in the SEC

A top five finish in the SEC would be major cause for celebration for the UK Football team, but according to one poll, the Cats are already there…when it comes to craft beer. SEC Country’s Nubyjas Wilborn ranked each SEC school/town by its craft beer, and Kentucky came in fourth behind Georgia, Florida, and Alabama:

4. Kentucky – Even beginning craft beer drinkers likely are familiar with Alltech’s Kentucky Bourbon Ale. It is sold in more than 20 states around the country. The beer has helped popularize the barrel age movement. While that is a good beer, the more advanced connoisseurs are sipping on West 6th Street’s beers.

Given the rate craft breweries are popping up across the country, Wilborn had a difficult — yet enviable — task, but as a beer lover, I should point out that he forget some of Lexington’s best breweries, like Ethereal and Country Boy. Also, I’m no Vandy fan, but he did shortchange Nashville by leaving out Smith & Lentz, Black Abbey, Little Harpeth, and Bearded Iris. And while we’re at it, if we’re talking Alabama beers, you have to include nearby Birmingham’s Good People, whose IPA is my favorite beer in existence. But, again, you can’t include every beer, I guess.

Check out the rest of the list for yourself, and remember, it’s five o’clock somewhere.

[SEC Country]

9 Comments for Kentucky’s craft beer ranked fourth best in the SEC

1. BigTimeOwen
    1:16 pm July 19, 2016 Permalink

That’s absolute BS. Athens, Georgia and Lexington are far and away the two best beer cities in the SEC and it’s not even close. This guy clearly didn’t do his research.

2. UKevan27
    2:17 pm July 19, 2016 Permalink

We made it in at #4 with Alltech? I’ll take it but like TT said, not mentioning CB or Ethereal (sorry Blue Stallion) is criminal. I’m assuming that since CB only cans Cougar Bait for now, that held them back but hopefully once the new brewery is up and going, they can begin gaining regional attention.

Oh, also, Good People IPA sucks. In fact, I’ve never had anything by them I like, then again I’ve never been to the brewery.

• Mrs. Tyler Thompson
      2:21 pm July 19, 2016 Permalink

You know what, Evan? You suck!

(Sorry, not really. I get really defensive when it comes to Good People IPA.)

• Jaybrown13
      3:28 pm July 19, 2016 Permalink

Country Boy also cans Shotgun Wedding, but you can only get it at the taproom. And yes, it’s truly sad if all he had here was Alltech’s beer. CB is vastly superior than that corporate beer, and Ethereal is better, as well. Not to mention some fine beers out of Louisville.

• UKevan27
      7:44 am July 20, 2016 Permalink

It’s ok Tyler, we can still be friends. Maybe.

3. Kernel Sanders
    2:22 pm July 19, 2016 Permalink

Ditto the above comment. Alltech beer is about the worst craft beer in Lexington. I like my bourbon, and I like my beer, but the combination of the two in the Bourbon Ale is yuk. West Sixth is a great location, and with Smithtown Seafood there, its a great place to have a couple brews and fish tacos. Having said that, I don’t think their brews measure up to Country Boy, Ethereal or Blue Stallion. Blue Stallion has some really good Dunkel, Helles and Country Boy’s Amos Moses may be my favorite beer ever. Ethereal/s stouts are good too….

4. Mantis_Tobaggon
    3:35 pm July 19, 2016 Permalink

At least he got Athens being #1 correct, but definitely not because of Terrapin. Creature Comforts in Athens is by far the best brewery in any SEC city. Cigar City, Westbrook, and Jester King are really the only others close to them in the entire southeast.

5. CATandMONKEY
    3:52 pm July 19, 2016 Permalink

When I die, pickle me in West 6th IPA.
    Or better yet, burn me with wet wood ( the funeral of a cowardly viking?) hopefully the 5 or 6 attendees will consume the IPA…to excess.

I say this as a 21 year devotee of Sierra Nevada.
    Alltech was ok, back when even Sam Adams was scarce but these days the local competition has far surpassed.

6. UKevan27
    7:45 am July 20, 2016 Permalink

Guess we found the beer snobs of KSR