Kentucky will visit 2020 combo guard RJ Hampton tomorrow

@CourtsideFilms

@CourtsideFilms

John Calipari isn’t slowing down on the recruiting trail anytime soon.

According to Corey Evans of Rivals.com, the Kentucky head coach is expected to visit consensus top-five 2020 prospect RJ Hampton tomorrow.

Hampton, a 6-foot-5 combo guard out of Little Elm, TX, is down to Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, and Memphis, and there is significant talk out there that he’ll be joining one of those schools in the class of 2019.

This weekend, Kentucky signee Tyrese Maxey told KSR that he would “love” to play with Hampton, a fellow Texan and longtime friend, at Kentucky next season.

“I talk to RJ (Hampton) dang-near every week,” he said. “We live in the same area. Like I tell him all the time, he is absolutely welcome to join us. I would love to play with RJ.”

Part of the intrigue for Maxey is that after growing up and playing basketball his whole life in Texas, he’s never been able to team up with Hampton, a fellow Texan.

In his eyes, after playing against Hampton his entire life, it’s time to finally play together at the college level.

“I’ve been playing against RJ since I was yea high, but I’ve never actually been able to play with him,” he said. “He’s one of the only players in the (Dallas Fort-Worth) area that I’ve never gotten to play with, so I’d love to finally be able to play with him on the big stage like that. I think we would do really well together.”

As of right now, Memphis has received 44% of his Crystal Ball predictions on 247 Sports, followed by Duke with 33% and Kansas with 22%. Since April 7, the Tigers have received three consecutive picks, most notably from recruiting insider Andrew Slater.

Check out some of Hampton’s most recent highlights:

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

17 Comments for Kentucky will visit 2020 combo guard RJ Hampton tomorrow

1. Gnarly Wiggums
    9:16 pm April 23, 2019 Permalink

Get him!

2. Cokely53
    9:17 pm April 23, 2019 Permalink

Kid looks like an athletic freak with a knack for scoring the ball. Whoever gets him will get someone special. With all the Memphis buzz I wonder if Cal is putting on the full court press for Juzang. Memphis seems to be the logical choice right now tho, he would have other talent with Wiseman and get to play with penny. Plus Duke just grabbed their guard for next year.

3. VirginiaCat
    9:20 pm April 23, 2019 Permalink

If Memphis has 44% of the crystal ball picks, Duke 33%, and Kansas 22%, that would leave us with no more than 1%, With those odds, why are we maintaining the illusion that we are competitive for his services? I know, I know, never count Cal out, but recent history says otherwise. Hampton is not coming to Kentucky, folks. Would be nice to have him, but right now, if the crystal ball is half way accurate, we are not even in the picture.

• Carcrook
      11:53 pm April 23, 2019 Permalink

My thoughts exactly, but I think the kid goes to Duke in 2020 or of course Memphis 2019!

4. shelby
    9:56 pm April 23, 2019 Permalink

Cats do NOT needanother guard for next year. I hope he stays in the ‘20 class and cal gets him then!

• Cokely53
      10:41 pm April 23, 2019 Permalink

How do you figure? We have 3 scholarship guards on the roster. We 100% need at least one more.

5. BackinBlue
    10:04 pm April 23, 2019 Permalink

Who cares. Won’t remember him I. Two years I forgot about Vanderbilt and him being on our team last year…. 1 and. Done killed college basketball. Thanks Cal

• EastKY-BlueBlood
      10:16 pm April 23, 2019 Permalink

I agree!! I hate they allowed him to make that rule!!

• Cokely53
      10:43 pm April 23, 2019 Permalink

Who pissed in your Cheerios? Pretty sure it’s actually helped college. Brought much more attention to it than ever. The sport is doing much better than it was before one and done. Go back to playing kick the can and listening to every game on the radio

• henderblue
      10:43 pm April 23, 2019 Permalink

Congratulations. You two share the title of idiot of the day. Although I think EastKy MAY be engaging in a little sarcasm. If so BackinBlue takes the idiot title in a runaway. If that’s not sarcasm then I may have to give the edge to EastKy….well no, that’s a winner by a landslide. But BackinBlue is a clear second place..

• nocode96
      10:57 pm April 23, 2019 Permalink

I’m all in on eastky using sarcasm. However, to be fair, it’s really hard to tell on this site. Our stupid ones are so stupid, they blur the lines of the ones being overtly sarcastic. Like, mashburnfan will show up and tell us how while at one of his season ticket games over the years he personally heard from Mitch that Cal is only coaching now because aliens from distant time enforced it so Paula Abdul can teach secret Sunday school classes to Dominicans so that they they can enlighten the world as to why Cal is the worst coach in UK history, and then proceed to tell us he’s gonna give Adolf Rupp a magic handy j so he can rise from the dead and take UK back to greatness. Because….that’s what the stuff he says sounds like to me, just ridiculous drivel.

• nocode96
      10:50 pm April 23, 2019 Permalink

Says he forgot about Vanderbilt, goes out of his way to let us know. That’s not how forgetting works bruh. Before everyone goes all out on this brand new commentor, peep the username. Methinks this might be a new incarnation of our recently absent buddy, bigolblue, or…an account being overly sarcastic to poke fun at people like the before mentioned thing. Grab some popcorn, let’s see what happens.

• Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
      3:51 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

Nocode just killed me. That was funny and is exactly how mashturdfakekyfan4everslaterbigoblueballsmedic sounds in my head.

6. CahillsCrossingNT
    6:24 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

Hampton was in the 7th grade the last time Kentucky made the Final Four and was in the 4th grade the last time Kentucky won a title. The more Kentucky fails to get that far, the more kids won’t remember when Kentucky mattered. Teenagers don’t remember ancient history and are into what’s happening now.

• beckham14
      7:32 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

When was the last time Kansas made it anywhere? Hmmm…..I believe the time when Kentucky beat them in the championship game. And when was the last time Memphis made it anywhere? Hmmmm…….when coach cal was actually coaching there. You’re logic is befuddling.

• Wade
      9:32 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

Only schools relevant are uk duke and nc

• StillBP
      7:34 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

lol 7 years ago is ancient history? How often should one school win a championship? Duke has only won 1 in the last 7 years, are they irrelevant?