Kentucky visiting Tyus Jones today

The fantasy camp and alumni game made for a long and eventful three days for John Calipari, but he’s not taking Tuesday off to catch his breath. Oh no, Coach Cal is hitting the recruiting trail to find his next star point guard.

Calipari will visit Tyus Jones today at his home in Apple Valley, Minnesota, one day after housing Jones’ good friend Jahlil Okafor during his official visit to Kentucky. Jones and Okafor continue to say they’ll be a package deal in college and Duke is still the presumed leader for their services.

Okafor did enjoy this time in Lexington, though, so making a strong impression with Jones today is crucial. If Calipari is going to steal him away from Krysewzsyswsuski, now is the time. Jones said he plans to announce his final decision in early November.

Article written by Drew Franklin

15 Comments for Kentucky visiting Tyus Jones today

1. Somervillain
    11:03 am September 10, 2013 Permalink

Let’s please avoid the embarrassing comments about the way the kid looks this time around. We all look how we look. I’m all for him leading our Cats. If he goes elsewhere, then that would be a better time to rag on him.

Go Cats!

2. jezz
    11:05 am September 10, 2013 Permalink

I would absolutely love to have him at UK. And Okafor as well. Thus said I’m not sure even Cal can pull this one off.

3. Yeah Huh
    11:07 am September 10, 2013 Permalink

Isn’t there an important football game around here this weekend? 9 of the last 10 posts have been basketball related, the 10th has been about a football team on the other side of the country.
    ********************************
    Take notice recruits!

4. Bob
    11:08 am September 10, 2013 Permalink

“Okafor did enjoy this time in Lexington”

Citation, please.

5. football?
    11:14 am September 10, 2013 Permalink

#3. Please remember this is a basketball state 1st and always will be!!!!!

6. SteveA
    11:34 am September 10, 2013 Permalink

I love it that you attempted to spell coach K’s name Drew. lol. It looks wrong but I can’t even tell. I appreciate the effort.

7. KevinM
    11:35 am September 10, 2013 Permalink

Jones says he will decide in November. Can we expect a PC from Okafor at the same time?
    If Cal gets Jones, will this turn the recruiting world inside out waiting on Okafor to decide?

Can’t count Cal out.

8. BBN_in_Iowa
    11:50 am September 10, 2013 Permalink

I pray we don’t get this kid, he is as soft a hot butter and will melt under the lights in Lex.

On a side note I just had a Hawkeye fan walk up to me and say “Keep ur Wildcat paws off Ullis!”. I kinda wanted to pat him on the head and say “Bless Ur Heart”. It’s precious that they think he would choose Iowa City over Lexington……..Lansing, maybe, but Iowa City ain’t never gonna happen.

9. Rockfield, KY
    11:55 am September 10, 2013 Permalink

If Cal is able to get these 2 guys to UK, it may be his most impressive recruiting job ever. These 2 were a lock to Duke not so long ago and now Okafor is seriously wavering and Cal is turning his magic on toward Jones.

10. Dusty
    11:55 am September 10, 2013 Permalink

I’m a little concerned with our PG situation for 2014. Getting Jones would be huge! We saw the struggles of our team last year due mainly to this. I think Ullis will be a good PG in his 3rd and 4th year and would love to have him but we will need an impact guy coming in. A couple guys will stay (Poythress, Johnson, Young, Lee are all possible) and we have Towns coming for sure and I think we will get Johnson and Booker as well. We must have a solid PG!

11. Mike Phillips
    11:57 am September 10, 2013 Permalink

I’d bet my lifes savings, all $5.25 of it on Jones and Okafor going to Duke. Did I mention how much I hate Puke?

12. Known Unknown
    12:06 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

Getting both would be great, but Tyler impressed more in this head to head.

Tyler Ulis #8 PG Vs Tyus Jones #1 PG Epic Battle at Peach Jam 2013

13. Free Bradley Manning
    12:17 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

Every time this guy is mentioned some people feel compelled to tap on their keyboards and repeat the conventional wisdom. While people like that are doing their little waltz with mediocrity people like Cal are out making things happen. The world belongs to the dreamers.

14. Megan
    1:00 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

“Duke is still the presumed leader for their services.” According to whom? Here’s what Jahlil tweeted last month: “I don’t have a leader. Stop the rumors.”

Jahlil’s father voiced his frustration regarding this rumor to ESPNChicago.com: “It’s disappointing. It’s taking the fun out of the process for the two boys. That’s a shame. Let the kids go through the process. I just want them to enjoy it, not the media, not Twitter, not the coaches, not the AAU coaches. Those kids are highly intelligent. They know what to do. Let it play out, and I think the world is in for something special.”

Let’s listen to the kid and his father and stop republishing the gossip of a couple of sportswriters. Why can’t we respect their wishes?

15. Turner the Burner
    3:26 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

3 – I hope the recruits also take notice that no matter the sport, other fans love to hang all over UK’s nuts.