Kentucky shuts down indoor dining and in-person school; limits indoor events

As expected, Governor Andy Beshear announced new restrictions for Kentucky, including the shutdown of indoor dining for three weeks.

In effect Friday, November 20 at 5 p.m., all restaurants and bars will be closed to indoor patrons, limiting service to only carry-out, delivery and outdoor dining (in late November). Indoor dining will resume Monday, December 14.

To help those local establishments that will be crushed by a second shutdown, the state set up a $40 million fund for locally-owned restaurants affected by the next three weeks.

Other new regulations for the three-week period include:

— Indoor social gatherings are limited to eight people or less.

— Indoor venues and events are limited to 25 participants per room.

— Gyms will be at 33% occupancy, masks will now be required, no group classes.

— All public and private schools (K-12) cease in-person instruction November 23. Middle and high schools will remain in remote instruction until January 4, 2021. Elementary schools may reopen on December 7 if their county is not in the red zone.

Updates coming as we get them…

Article written by Drew Franklin

89 Comments for Kentucky shuts down indoor dining and in-person school; limits indoor events

1. bigbowdennation
    4:29 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

I’m all for the shutdowns to control the spread, but the federal govt needs to step in and pay people at least a portion of their salary if they’re laid off during this pandemic, and to bail out businesses who have to close. I believe they’re doing the second part of that to an extent, but I haven’t heard of anything to individual people except for the small stimulus check from the beginning. It’s crazy to tell people they can’t work anymore without any sort of safety net.

• Han
      4:39 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

Truth.

Unfortunately, our Senator McConnell has stood in the way of additional stimulus bills, including those being worked on by both the Democrats and the White House together.

And if he’s worried about how we’re going to pay for it all, we could undo Trump’s “will pay for itself” tax cuts for the super rich. (Spoiler: They didn’t pay for themselves. At all.)

Bring back the Progressive Tax rates of the 40s thru early 80s when this country as a whole thrived. We can make it through the pandemic and then work on our infrastructure, renewable energy, and retraining people in depressed areas of the country (like Eastern Kentucky) who desperately need new industries.

• neat1ky
      5:24 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

Han!!!! Really Mitch holding up stimulus check is a joke, Pelosi is the problem because she wants other things added to the stimulus that would help illegals and the rich are always going to find ways around paying high taxes regardless of party

• peaches76
      5:42 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

Han, I had thought you were a reasonably sane person. Try looking at Pelosi and her merry band. Want money in stimulus for marijuana, illegals, Kennedy Center, etc. if they would agree to help us US citizens the bill would’ve already been passed.

• jack8291
      5:15 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

Taxes changed from yesteryear because everything is taxed now and there’s more to tax . Property , gas , capital gains , sales tax , car tags , utilities , internet , cell phone …everything . Almost everyone ends up paying 40-50% or more of their income in taxes in some form or another . That’s enough . Also , not all rich people sit around and inherit money …some are smarter , work harder , invent stuff , are better at things ,etc …don’t punish them too much.

• 4everUKBlue
      7:08 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

Truth is the governor does not have the jurisdiction to shut anything down except in case of an emergency and this is not an emergency and never was. Two months into the plandemic hospitals were empty all over the country and shut down to people who really needed healthcare and as a result many people died from all manner of causes, just not from covid and it’s easy to prove if you look anywhere but the government run news media. The United States is a corporation and the prez and all the so called govt officials are corporate employees, the Commonwealth of KY is also a corporation, The following is the Dun & Bradstreet D-U-N-S® number for Commonwealth of Kentucky:
      D-U-N-S number: 007002959. Andy is a corporate employee. Before you start the name calling do some damn research.

• Pensacola_Cat_Fan
      9:42 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

Glad I live in Florida where we still enjoy freedoms.

• satcheluk
      9:56 am November 19, 2020 Permalink

This is not freedom. DeSantis’ handling of COVID is an effing disaster.

2. mashman 93
    4:50 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

Little Hitler I mean Governor Andy is at again.

• Mr.Incognito
      4:56 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

He has to step up and lead because Herr Trump, I mean Big Hitler, has refused to.

We have failed as a country to put on our big boy pants and do the things we have to do to make this better. So he is doing what he can to help make this better.

Sorry if that pisses you off

• itsfootballtimeinthebluegrass
      5:27 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

The problem is that the restrictions aren’t making anything better.

• satcheluk
      10:13 am November 19, 2020 Permalink

The problem is people who don’t care about anyone but themselves. Lockdowns worked in many places around the world when those countries used the lockdown to develop comprehensive national strategies to suppress the spread. My friends and family are living relatively normally after extensive lockdowns, because they don’t have political BS and myopic “freedom fighters” complaining about transmission suppression methods. The vast majority wear masks, including all children over the age of two, so their transmission rates are a fraction of ours.

As a finance professional, I am routinely on companies’ Investment Earnings calls and the overwhelming consensus from CEOs and analyst is the number one headwind against our economy is the refusal of so many to wear masks and take proper protection against virus transmission. If you want the economy to get back on track, then wear an effing mask, social distance and avoid indoor gatherings. If all 48 states in the contiguous US did this for the months leading up to the vaccine, then we could back close to normal. Gyms in Japan require masks, so everyone wears them and they remain open. Because everyone wears masks, transmission rates are low, so Restaurants and bars can remain open. Morons refusing to listen to science are the reason for the draconian measures. Keep crying your free not to wear masks and you will ensure our numbers don’t improve enough for a return to normalcy.

• satcheluk
      10:14 am November 19, 2020 Permalink

My friends and family in Asia it should say.

• miggles
      4:59 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

Quick questions, mash. What will it take for you to take this situation seriously? Since it clearly isn’t the staggering loss of life. Do you have the mental capacity to consider things like that? Is it all about you and what you want? Genuine questions.

• mashman 93
      5:03 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

When Trump put the travel ban on China were you boys happy? Pelosi and Schumer were calling him names and telling everyone to come on down to Chinatown and for the record I have eaten out maybe five times since all this started but hey fellas there is a 99% recovery rate.

• Not Dan Issel
      5:05 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

Without a doubt, little andy is a despicable governor. No cares for individuals who are about to lose everything because of his overbearing obsession with following the dictates of his power obssessed democrat politariat. What a shame we elected this fool to office. I feel so sad for so many who are about to lose everything because of him.

• mashman 93
      5:30 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

Well said Dan Issel this doesn’t affect Andy Brashear’s life at all!!! The man is still working but the people in the restaurant business are all out of work for three weeks and get to go through the headache of filing unemployment.

• Bluehender
      10:21 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

Not Dan Issel…it sounds like you are talking about Trump..

• miggles
      5:06 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

So you’re just not gonna answer? I mean, I don’t like to assume, but … does this answer my “mental capacity” question? I’m not TRYING to call you dumb …

• mashman 93
      5:12 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

Dude I don’t give a damn what you think of me or my mental capacity.

• Ukcatlee
      9:40 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

You are now showing your stupidity.

• Ukcatlee
      9:42 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

I was referring to miggles.

• FinnaGoHAM
      5:21 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

Number 1, would everyone please – PLEASE – stop calling leaders of either party “Hitler.” Ask someone that survived a concentration camp what they think of calling modern-day leaders “Hitler.” Number 2, a study that began in April of 6,000 people from Denmark and had one side faithfully wear a mask for a month versus the other half, who were instructed to never wear a mask (Denmark had no mask mandate at the time), found that “After one month, 1.8% of the people wearing masks had been infected, while 2.1% of the people in the control group had tested positive”… Here’s the link: https://www.reuters.com/article/healthcoronavirus-facemasks/update-1-danish-study-finds-face-masks-provide-limited-protection-to-wearer-idUSL1N2I41IL – Truth is, we want to believe wearing masks work because it allows us to feel more in control. But again, grow up and stop with the Hitler crapola.

• mashman 93
      5:32 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

You’re right bad choice of words and I humbly apologize.

• satcheluk
      10:22 am November 19, 2020 Permalink

The overwhelming evidence is that masks dramatically lower the wearer from transmitting the virus and masks offer some protection against ingestion. So you wear the mask mostly as a courtesy to everyone else and you get a slight to moderate benefit to yourself. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/more/masking-science-sars-cov2.html

• miggles
      6:20 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

Mash, your statements above make clear how little you care for much of anything, let alone what people think of you. I’m just genuinely interested in an answer to any of my questions from people who think like you because I just can’t wrap my head around it. I mean, is it willful ignorance? Lack of education? Red vs Blue? I would think nine months of people dying while the federal government does next to nothing would make you a little more open-minded to a governor who is just trying to stop as many people from dying as he can.

• mashman 93
      6:52 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

The more you talk the more I begin to realize your mental capacity is lacking too.

• 4everUKBlue
      7:11 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

Grow up and do some research miggles, people are not dying from covid, with it maybe but not from it. This is all nonsense.

• ComfortablyNumb94
      9:38 am November 19, 2020 Permalink

I just lost a parent to COVID with no preexisting conditions so you can take that line and shove it. It’s not a myth, and now you don’t get to eat inside a restaurant. How awful. Yes the businesses suffering are awful, that’s why the federal government needs to provide assistance. Andy is clearly not going to be re-elected in this state so I commend him for sticking by his convictions.

• miggles
      7:26 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

I keep forgetting you morons can’t be reasoned with or answer simple questions. My bad. Go Cats.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      7:30 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

miggles, see my statement further down. If the politicians believe these measures save lives, why do they keep getting caught breaking their own edicts from on high? Try to reason with them.

3. ThankfulCat
    4:53 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

Why is my comment being moderated?

It’s the truth. People can’t get UI and Andy is worried about who can eat out

4. FinnaGoHAM
    5:04 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

Han, you say progressive tax cuts of the 40s thru early 80s are when this country thrived, but when Carter left office in January of 1981, the inflation rate was 13.5%, the unemployment rate was 7.2% (higher than when he went into office) and banks had just raised the prime lending rate to 21%. Not exactly thriving.

5. ThankfulCat
    5:07 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

Trump did everything he could. He got crucified by the left for “the slow response”.
    Ok, we have masks now and social distancing yet the cases continue to rise. Masks aren’t the answer! So Trump did all he could but still gets blamed. I’m still waiting to hear Biden’s plan which will be a big bunch of nothing. Just like his 47 year career

• miggles
      5:10 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

Define “everything he could” please.

• bigbowdennation
      5:26 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

I don’t think Biden or Trump have the answers. The mask mandates don’t seem to work because people don’t follow it, it’s that simple. Like people should wear them because they want to help protect the vulnerable people in their community not because their governor told them they had to. Same goes for just practicing social distancing and everything, people need to buy in and do these things because THEY believe it and I don’t see that happening anytime soon.

Regardless of whose in charge, half the population won’t believe anything they say so I don’t see how we get out of this before the vaccine comes. And hopefully that’s soon.

• 4everUKBlue
      7:12 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

Here’s a history lessen for you.

March 4, 1933 FDR sworn into office
      March 6, 1933
      President Roosevelt declares a national emergency (Proclamation 2039) which gives the president unlimited executive power, same effect as going to war. President takes control of the states, almost everything, including all registered property. Proclamation 2039 can ONLY be rescinded by the POTUS and has to be renewed by every incoming POTUS and has been by every POTUS since FDR.

What this means is we have been under martial law since 1933 and no president has descended it.

• 4everUKBlue
      7:14 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

So no politician is coming to save us from either side! Someone please prove me wrong.

• Robert
      7:37 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

I tested positive 2 weeks ago. Both parents, who are 85 also tested positive. Mine was like any regular 24 hour flu. Same with my dad. Sent my mom to hospital because she has some serious lung issue. After 2nd day of Remdesivir, and Decadron (sp?) she was was feeling great. Never even needed oxygen. Believe me it’s real. Believe me when I say, we should not be shutting the economy down! If I had to chose, have 24 hour flu, or possibly lose my business..I think you know the answer. The therapies work. The death rates have not increased. If you are vulnerable, you should take necessary precautions. The rest, need to get back to work. Lord knows we will all have to work harder, and longer to pay for all the freebies the government loves to hand out.

• cats646
      7:26 am November 19, 2020 Permalink

Robert, notice how no one responded to you? It’s because these screaming libs shut completely down when they see a fact present. They want to believe that Covid is deadly just because their leaders tell them. Sad little sheep.

• satcheluk
      10:26 am November 19, 2020 Permalink

Did everything he could to ignore, obfuscate and pass the buck. There fixed it for you.

6. VilleCat11
    5:07 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

I dont disagree that this is a serious situation but I have lost ALL faith in media that it is reporting the truth at any point from any side… Agendas are being pushed one direction or the other… I am sorry but dont believe the death counts being reported, if I get hit by a car and die. I get tested and if I have any signs of the virus they call it a covid death.. I am sorry but that’s wrong and again pushing an agenda..

7. WKY Cat
    5:12 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

$40 million? Lol Where was the arbitrary number pulled from??

• UKiyaoyas
      9:22 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

WKY Cat that money was probably borrowed from the teacher retirement fund…

8. ThankfulCat
    5:12 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

Everything he could short of a vaccine which is the only way to stop this.

The biggest and greatest thing he did was the China travel ban which saved lives.

Masks don’t work. If they did the case numbers would drop.

9. wildcat1515
    5:24 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

Trump could cure cancer and he would still get impeached or blamed for something else. No one can do anything different and fix the covid problem. It’s not going away. So locking us up in our houses is not going to help!! They just want the power.

10. Ryan Lemonds Toupee
    5:24 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

The Kung-Flu Part Deux (that’s 2.0 for Mashman)

11. Southky
    5:28 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

How do you dumba$$es who scream for massive shutdowns think this country can survive, much less pay everyone’s way who they put out of a job? This is a bad situation that has no real answer. Protect the most vulnerable and everyone else is gonna have to work to pay the bills. Sorry, that’s what it’s gonna take to get past this, not lock up for a year and starve to death.

12. big cat
    5:35 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

Ah. Gotta love dictator BEEFEAR. His decision making model is WEAK. He says limit in home gatgerings to 8, BUT weddings can have (brace yourself) 8 people!!!!! LMMFAO. Suck it, Andy!

13. big cat
    5:35 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

Weddings 25. Oops

14. big cat
    5:38 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

Legislature meets in JAN. They will strip this fool of all his dumb ass decision making power. Several legislators have already pre-filed bills.

• mashman 93
      6:04 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

I hope it happens big cat.

• Bluehender
      10:28 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

Are you talking about Trump big cat?

15. cllikeky
    5:47 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

Apparently no one here has lost someone to COVID. I have. All of the politics means nothing. Losing a loved one is what really matters. That is what we need to remember. Andy is trying to save lives. Maybe it isn’t working well enough for any of us to be satisfied. I get that but you can’t do nothing and allow more people to die in great numbers.

• ThankfulCat
      5:59 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

Im sorry for your loss but the masks and SD isn’t working and a shut down won’t either. Andy needs to get off his ?!$& and get the UI claims paid

• itsfootballtimeinthebluegrass
      6:10 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

I’m sorry for your loss. Please also remember the millions of babies aborted each and every day. That number far outweighs the number of folks who have parishes from covid.

• 4everUKBlue
      7:23 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

Maybe you lost someone to covid or maybe they had underlying health issues and it was blamed on covid. Andy is a corporate employee working or the corporation known as The Commonwealth of KY, Dunn and Bradstreet D-U-N-S number: 007002959. Corporations and their employees are not working for the people, the main objective of a corporation is to do commerce….look it up. Oh and 40,000 children go missing EVERY year due to human trafficking and pedophilia. What is anyone doing about that? You would think that those of you who are parents would care about that instead of the covid agenda that is being pushed.

16. Not Dan Issel
    5:52 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

Does this apply to Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, Krogers, etc.? Or just to restaurants? And if not, why?

• michaelb
      11:52 am November 19, 2020 Permalink

Don’t try to make sense of it , it won’t

17. Not Dan Issel
    5:54 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

There is absolutely nothing essential about going to Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, Target, Etc. Krogers you can do pickup outside of your order, but for the others. If restaurants are shut down, then shut them down as well, little adolph.

• bluecat15
      6:09 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

97.7% survive

• miggles
      6:30 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

And 2.3% don’t. But please, continue to diminish their lives and those who love them. Since you’re gonna anyway.

• Not Dan Issel
      7:25 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

And virtually all of them were old and ill, and likely to die soon anyway. The fact is that most people face no danger what so ever from covid-19.

• 4everUKBlue
      7:25 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

miggles, let’s just say 2.3% don’t survive. Do those numbers equal the definition of a pandemic? No, there is no pandemic and there never was a covid pandemic.

18. Lip Man 1
    6:43 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

A wise decision on the Governors part but if you think they’ll be opening up again in mid-December, you are nuts. Virus is only going to get worse because of idiot people who refuse to follow simple requests.

• mashman 93
      6:56 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

What simple requests? Like wearing a mask which every where I go people are wearing them!!! This isn’t going away until the vaccines get here so live with it or live in fear.

• 4everUKBlue
      7:27 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

I will not wear a mask and I will not take the vaccine and anyone who does take the vaccine will regret it somewhere down the line.

• Bluehender
      7:30 am November 19, 2020 Permalink

4ever, you are one guy I wish would stick to sports. I get a flu shot every year. So far, no regrets. Why would anyone regret getting a vaccine for anything? I got vaccinations when I was young. As far as I know they’ve not caused me any problems.

19. Not Dan Issel
    7:08 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

There is nothing that government can do to control this. Let each person exercise personal responsibility for their own conduct and well being. We are all fools if we think our governor is going to solve this problem.

20. KatsKlaws
    7:17 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

And to think that I thought this was a “stick to sports” and “shut up and dribble” type of crowd…lol

21. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    7:28 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

If you folks think this is about saving lives, just look up the ever growing list of statists who have broken their own edicts. Gavin Newsome is only the latest. There was also Gov. Pritzker’s wife, Lori Lightfoot (multiple times), Deblasio (multiple times), Pelosi, Gov Cuomo, also his bro (bro went to the Hamptons while he was Covid positive and has gotten in trouble because he wasn’t wearing a mask in his apartment bldg), Whitmer’s hubby (and she’s enacted the most severe restrictions and complained when the court took away “(her) power”, Feinstein (multiple times), and probably more I can’t remember, and no doubt a number who just haven’t been caught.

If they believed it was about saving lives, would they be doing this? Of course not. It is about control. WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      7:33 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

And BTW, this may be my mother’s last Thanksgiving ever due to her cancer. Think about that folks. The same may be your situation.

22. CahillsCrossingNT
    7:36 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

It’s for our own good. Now do as you’re told.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      7:52 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

Haha. Thanks for giving me a chuckle in all this.

23. zoupman
    7:44 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

So indoor is bad and outdoor ok? At UK and UL football games you can have 50% in $uites and only 20% outdoors? This type of hypocrisy is what drives people nuts. Andy is a con man.

24. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    8:01 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

Yes, there has been a ton of inconsistency in all these rules from on high from the beginning of the lockdowns.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      8:02 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

Reply fail. That was meant to be a reply to zoupman.

25. Grazilla
    8:46 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

ALL HAIL BENEVOLENT ANDY

26. sharpshooter81
    10:47 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

Does shutdowns reduce the spread? Possibly somewhat. But what shutdowns do for sure is cause depression, more suicides, financial loss, and loss of our basic freedom. It isn’t the government’s responsibility to think for us we are to think for ourselves.

What happens when the restrictions get reduced again? Simple, the virus will spike again. We must learn to live with it because you can’t keep shutting things down as it only slows the inevitable. That is people are going to get the virus and majority of people currently 99% are going to recover from it.

27. neat1ky
    11:22 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

Sorry I don’t think either party can stop what is happening until we have the vaccines to slow down the spread, check the rest of the world they haven’t figured it out yet either and we are lucky we have the flu shot because otherwise we would have a double whammy as well as other disease vaccines and being in the healthcare field 40 years I’ve seen a lot

28. friendsofcoal
    11:40 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

Come on up to EKY cause we ain’t gonna shut anything down!

29. UKFaninCO
    1:24 am November 19, 2020 Permalink

Really people? The Virus is going to do what it does…nothing will stop it… stop being so arrogant….live with it!

30. cats646
    7:35 am November 19, 2020 Permalink

This is America. If you’re scared, stay inside. If not, don’t. It’s supposed to be a free country but for some reason people keep voting these democrats into office to take away our freedoms. Congrats to all the people who voted blue, you’re signing away our freedom. If you can’t see that then I feel sorry for you.

• Bluehender
      9:57 am November 19, 2020 Permalink

I’m not scared of the virus. Ones thing that worries me about it though is you can be asypmtomatic, not know you have it and pass it along to an elderly person, such as my mom, for example. At least that is what they say..and why try to politicize everything? This has nothing to do with red or blue. At least it shouldn’t…you don’t have freedom to do any old thing you want. Such as wearing a seat belt..why aren’t freedom lovers complaining about that?? I like my freedom too but that doesn’t mean we can do whatever we want when we to..

• Bluehender
      9:58 am November 19, 2020 Permalink

..want to.

• cats646
      10:11 am November 19, 2020 Permalink

I actually do complain about the seatbelt law. Lol. I hardly ever wear mine and that should be my choice. Just like going to a restaurant should be. If I owned a restaurant I’d stay open until they came and forced me to shut down. It makes me so mad that we’re just destroying peoples lives and businesses over a virus with a 1% death rate.

• Bluehender
      10:54 am November 19, 2020 Permalink

I don’t like wearing one either 646. I don’t in my truck, it’s older but my new car forces me too..