Kentucky recruiting controversial 4-star wide receiver Roger Lewis

roger-lewis

According to Rivals’ Justin Rowland, Kentucky is now recruiting 4-star wide receiver Roger Lewis, who currently plays for Jirah Prep in North Carolina. Lewis, originally a 2012 recruit who was committed to Ohio State, was accused of two charges of rape and acquitted on the first, while the jury was deadlocked on the second, resulting in a mistrial. In order to avoid that charge going to a second trial later this month, Lewis plead guilty to falsification, a first-degree misdemeanor, a week ago.

Lewis tweets that he has been offered a scholarship by UK, and will attend the UK/Louisville game this weekend. He’s now considered at 2014 recruit. Back in 2012, Lewis was considered the 46th best wide receiver in the country. He’s 6’1″, 195 lbs. and runs a 4.42 40. UK already has four wide receivers in the 2014 class and has a few WR targets remaining in Dorian Baker and Braxton Berrios.

Should Stoops take a chance on Lewis? Watch him work:

80 Comments for Kentucky recruiting controversial 4-star wide receiver Roger Lewis

1. JoeMoney333
    11:19 am September 11, 2013 Permalink

I guess what is the situation of the charges. Was it a sexual assault or was it a senior/junior in HS having sexual relations with a freshman girl? Those are just interesting details that help paint a more detailed picture of the situation.

2. scUKfan22
    11:22 am September 11, 2013 Permalink

The kid got accused by a jealous girl who he had a sexual relationship with since they were 14, honestly if he truly raped her in december 2011 why was she with him again in her car in january? he was aquitted on the first charge and pled guilty to falsification because he lied to police about where he was. The whole reason the kid was offered the plea deal is because the girl whouldnt testify in the second trial.

3. I Sayy
    11:23 am September 11, 2013 Permalink

So where has he been this whole time? High School? Prep School? Juco? Jail?

4. Wedding Planner
    11:24 am September 11, 2013 Permalink

Good point by #2. Was a little surprised by the jump to judgement by KSR today

5. Deepblue
    11:24 am September 11, 2013 Permalink

KY football is not in a position to play the moral superiority card. If he’s cleared by the legal system and cleared by the NCAA, then I don’t care if he blew up a bus full of blind children on their way to cure cancer. Suit him up.

6. scUKfan22
    11:24 am September 11, 2013 Permalink

He is at a prep school in North Carolina

7. JoeMoney333
    11:25 am September 11, 2013 Permalink

2. I think that story (minus your obvious written bias) is the story that needs to be told. It gives a better idea of the situation.

8. Beau
    11:25 am September 11, 2013 Permalink

Everyone deserves a second chance, he obviously has physical talent, but needs to make the right choices for himself moving forward. I say bring him to Lex and give him a chance to succeed.

9. Dan Patrick
    11:26 am September 11, 2013 Permalink

I mentioned the following on my show yesterday. Wonder who he was talking about?

I hope I set this up correctly. Near the end of the first hour of the Dan Patrick show yesterday he was discussing the OSU SI article. He then tells the story a PAC-12 basketball coach told him about a recruit he was losing to an SEC BBall school. The coach specifically told the kid that another commit for the same SEC school was paid $250,000 so he hoped that he was receiving an equal or higher payment.

Dan said the coach knew for a fact that this kid was paid and the amount of the payment. Due to Dan wanting to protect the coach he did not offer any further details but this is crazy and shows that coaches know exactly what is going on. I guess for fear of being black-balled or the fact they also are shady nothing ever happens.

10. NorthernKYcatfan
    11:27 am September 11, 2013 Permalink

Is he still a 4 star or has his rankings fallen since then? I’ll wait to hear the whole story before I give my opinion.

11. Honky Kong
    11:27 am September 11, 2013 Permalink

If the glove doesn’t fit, you must acquit !!

12. RD
    11:28 am September 11, 2013 Permalink

Give the kid a chance, but I’d put him on notice. You screw up, and pack your bags.

13. Duuuuuude
    11:31 am September 11, 2013 Permalink

Yes, I agree with #1, that it depends on the circumstances.

Beyond his past, if he is a good guy in his present and shows potential for a bright future, I am in favor of forgiving his past, if he is not a thug.

14. umm...
    11:32 am September 11, 2013 Permalink

YEAH!

15. George
    11:33 am September 11, 2013 Permalink

If he’s not guilty then he’s not guilty. I hate that we live in a country where you’re guilty no matter what.

16. Tha Grif
    11:33 am September 11, 2013 Permalink

So after all is said and done, we UK fans can no longer make fun of Louisville and other schools giving players second chances… IJS

17. Seth in Huntington Beach
    11:35 am September 11, 2013 Permalink

I think the guy deserves a second chance and I like Stoops’ decision to offer him. The circumstances of the charges are hazy and could play out for or against his favor. In BBN we are La Familia. If we bring this guy in I expect the coaching staff to not only coach him to become a better player but to become a better person as well, just like Cal does for basketball. If Stoops thinks this guy deserves a chance to play for UK then we should trust Stoops that he’s examined the situation and weighed the options and made a calculated decision.

18. Boogie
    11:38 am September 11, 2013 Permalink

I didn’t see anything rare in his highlight tape. Seems like a very average receiver. We already have 4 committed next year plus timmons, javess blue, jeff badet. Why take a chance? Build the program the right way.

19. Clint Hurtt
    11:39 am September 11, 2013 Permalink

If you don’t sign him, I will! In fact, I’ll send a limo to pick him up. Michael Dyer will be his host…

20. RandyB
    11:40 am September 11, 2013 Permalink

What does his recruitment say about WR Dorian Baker, who will also be at the Louisville game?

21. Michael F. Jox
    11:41 am September 11, 2013 Permalink

I would love to see the comment thread if the kid was being recruited by Louisville instead of UK. Oh, the difference. SMH.

22. Lonzo
    11:42 am September 11, 2013 Permalink

Great. What better fodder to offer up a bunch of University of Loserville hoodlums than a recruit at the game who beat a rape charge. Poor kid is gonna have a target on his back for hecklers at the game.

23. seriously
    11:42 am September 11, 2013 Permalink

Deepblue, you made me laugh!

24. jpg
    11:58 am September 11, 2013 Permalink

I’d say pass on him. He might be innocent, but UK does not need the potential problems. The Cats are on the board for some great receivers, and already have quite a few WR in the fold. I’d say lets wish him the best and build the program cleanly.

25. kadizkat
    11:59 am September 11, 2013 Permalink

I have concerns but it does seems different, to me, that he hasn’t been found guilty of anything.

26. RICK
    12:03 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

Hell yes, get me some thugs. Some will make it and some won’t. All the good teams are full of them.

27. LOL!
    12:03 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

If Strong were recruiting him, we would have been all over him and the birds!

28. Chase
    12:10 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

Hungry, humble and horny!

29. Good times
    12:11 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

#15, it’s because guilt in our legal system is based on whether sufficient evidence was presented to return a guilty plea. In so many cases there is simply a lack of evidence; but it doesn’t mean they didn’t do the act in question. Furthermore, many cases are tossed out on technicalities, wrong veridcts handed out due to juries receiving unclear instructions or juries misinterpreting those instructions. If you think a not guilty plea means in all cases that a person has no culpability for thier actions I challenge you to leave your children, nieces/nephews or other young ones in your life to the care of Casey Anthony. Tirade over.

30. Story
    12:11 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

Here’s the latest. He’ll be retried on the rape charges. A majority of the jury found him guilty the first, but it was not unanimous.

31. michaelgray
    12:13 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

I think it is fine to recruit him. He was found not guilty, I don’t know what the problem is. And for jpg, I don’t see why getting this kid would not be building the program cleanly, it isn’t like he was accused of any NCAA violations.

32. Story
    12:14 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

33. UKBlue
    12:14 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

Anyone can accuse anyone of anything; if the kid wasn’t found guilty, then how are we his judge & jury? Hello, where’s the rape kit & physical evidence; find these things then we could talk.

Difference if this was UL, UL’s would have done it or already have done it ie Michael Dyer plus all the stuff that happened under Petrino.

34. Ned von Zant
    12:15 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

Short leash and zero tolerance. If he rapes on campus he is off the team.
    Go Cats

35. Jacob Brooks
    12:16 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

Wrong. If he was recruited by uofl I’d say it was a savvy attempt to add a talented kid who is being tossed aside by many colleges because of charges he was acquitted of.

Everyday wrongly accused people are acquitted or released from prison. I refuse to judge someone simply because a he said she said situation, especially if he was acquitted.

If he can make a difference and we can pick him up cheap I say go for it.

36. Verderber
    12:16 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

He is a four star WR but the girls gave him one star

37. Chea
    12:17 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

I want to know who the qb is. That guy has a cannon!

38. Linda Taylor
    12:18 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

I don’t know anything about his court case except what I’ve read on these threads so I won’t make a comment on that, I don’t have enough information. My comment is solely based on this video. What impressed me most about his play is his blocking for his teammates. You don’t always see that from a wide receiver in high school. If our wide receivers had done a better job of blocking in the Western game we might have had a better outcome. Also, he would seem to be a good addition in the special teams area. He did a good job receiving punts and kicks in the video. I also like that he brought the ball down in double coverage and broke tackles.

39. C.Scott
    12:18 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

The kid had no previous character issues, nor has he had any since. He’s not a thug, he’s from Pickerington,Ohio for goodness sakes. Have you ever been there ? It’s whitebread, middle-america. He was falsely accused and acquitted, then received 3yrs probation by pleading guilty to a 1st degree misdemeanor for lying to police about where he was……which almost 100% of scared teenagers would do who were falsely accused of raping someone. The prosecutors only cared about getting a guilty plea for their stats, he and his family just wanted to get on with their lives and not have to go back for a re-trial. The kid is a good athlete and deserves a opportunity. The strong support staff and coaches that UK has now would help him reach his goals. I doubt Stoops would ok trying to bring in a player that he was eventually going to have to dismiss anyway. People love to sit high on their moral high horse….

40. Skaggs
    12:20 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

Mel Ignatov was found not guilty

41. gottodoit
    12:29 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

No thanks.

42. KevinM
    12:40 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

2 words: Brian Banks

Facts aren’t always the facts.

43. Pot and Kettle
    12:42 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

I personally think there is no reason to take a chance on the kid. That being said if Stoops wants to give the kid a chance i will trust his judgement. However, for all the people saying the kid deserves a 2nd chance etc., when a rival school decides to take a chance on a kid with a troubled past, don’t be a hypocrite or throw stones.

44. Stoops?
    12:46 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

I think I’m gonna leave the character decision making up to Stoops. He has already shown he won’t put up with any BS from players, and I’d imagine the coaching staff has looked into this guy before they decided to offer…

45. MarkyMark
    12:48 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

I wonder where that QB ended up playing? He has a cannon and seemed like he was able to make multiple reads…to lighten the mood.

46. Jeremy
    1:04 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

If Dyer at UL can get a FIFTH chance, this kid at least deserves a SECOND chance

47. NO Absolutely NO
    1:14 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

Where there is smoke there is usually fire. We should not be the Team to entitle this kid. I would suspect this recruit has had many second chances.

48. Bertway
    1:28 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

C.Scott— I’m pretty sure that most teenagers wouldn’t lie about where they were if they were falsely accused of rape. I know I wouldn’t, I would tell the police exactly where I was and what I was doing if I was falsely accused of anything. UKBLUE—- you’re right, anyone can accuse anybody of anything, BUT that is why cases go to a grand jury before they go to trial. There must be enough evidence presented by the prosecution to prove that a crime was committed and that it should go to trial.
    I don’t really care if we take the kid or not, although I don’t want to become a program that is so desperate for good players that we take kids with very questionable backgrounds/character issues.

49. WesternKYCatChick
    1:28 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

After reading up on this, I’m totally confused. The alleged victim said he raped her in Dec, then again in Jan when she drove to his house for a school book. She said he got in her car and forced her to drive to a remote location where he raped her the 2nd time. I’m a female who has (thankfully) never been raped. But if I were raped once by a person, why the hell would I go to his house for a text book a month later? If she needed the book, why not go to the door and get it instead of letting him in her car? And how can he force her to drive to a remote location? Didn’t say he had a weapon. If he did rape her twice, she certainly didn’t deserve it either time. But her story is sketchy. Very sketchy.

50. Blue To The Bone
    1:33 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

I say we use the CS theory on this…It didn’t happen at UK and every kid deserves a 2nd..3rd..4th>>>> chance…Seriously ..I trust this staff and if they think it is ok I’m fine with it…I’m sure they will cover all their bases…

51. AnthonyBBN
    1:36 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

Story, get an updated article, yours was from July 9th, Sept 4th article has updated info, kid plead to 1st degree misdemeanor in lieu of retrial. There are two sides to every story, but if the kid keeps his nose clean and stays out of trouble I see no reason not to suit him up.

52. Devil in the details
    1:37 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

It depends on what the circumstances are. Is this a case where they were a year or two apart and it’s a consensual statutory case where the girl got mad at him for something and decided to press charges. Me and my girl were 2 yrs apart. I was 16 when she was 18 and I was “technically” getting rapped but trust me I LOVED it everytime it happened.

53. Justice System
    1:39 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

Why is everyone saying this kid was found not guilty? He was acquitted on one charge. There was a mist-trial on the other charge. HE WILL BE TRIED AGAIN. The majority of jurors found him guilty, but it was not unanimous. There was a holdout that wouldn’t change their mind. Therefore a mistrial was called. There is a greater than 50% chance that he will be found guilty this next time around.

54. Story's story is old
    1:41 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

#30 – that story is old. He has since taken a plea deal giving probation for lying to a police officer and the 2nd rape charge was dropped.

55. Too Risky, Not Worth It
    1:43 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

I agree someone is not guilty of something just because they are accused but this guy was tried and was not found not guilty and then later pled guilty to lying to the police. Even if he did not rape the woman, he has character issues (lying to the police). I’m not saying he is a bad person or that he doesn’t merit forgiveness (I believe all people merit forgiveness) but Stoops is going out on a limb to make a scholarship offer to someone with this baggage. I think it makes the program look bad and it might scare off other recruits or parents of other recruits who read about it. For now, I will trust Stoops to make the right decision (he probably knows a lot more about what happened than we do) but it is very risky and, in my opinion, it does not look good for the program. I would pass and wish the kid all the best in life. NUMBER 5 “DEEP BLUE” I hope you are kidding. If not, you have serious problems and I recommend you see a psychologist and/or a priest as soon as possible.

56. AnthonyBBN
    1:44 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

WesternKYCatChick I would also like to add that right after the alleged rape they were pulled over by a police officer for a traffic stop and she didn’t say a word to the cop. I just find that odd.

57. And about that QB
    1:44 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

He plays baseball for Kent State. Doesn’t look like he got any football offers.

58. AnthonyBBN
    1:47 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

He has character issues because he told a lie? Damn, I wish we could all live up to your perfectly truthful standard about everything all the time.

59. Hahaha
    1:51 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

46. Jeremy- haha BEST comment on here!

60. Mack
    1:51 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

61. Correct facts
    2:00 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

First off everyone needs to read the reports about the case. The plea deal for falsification, was for lying to the police officer that pooled them over in her car for speeding the night they parked to have sex. The cop asked them what they were doing and he said they weren’t doing anything. Do you really expect a teenager to just tell the cop that they just got done having sex. I know I have lied to cops before about what I was doing, when I got pooled over for speeding after sneaking out of my house to meet up with a girl.

62. Hey, Anthony
    2:04 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

Lying to the police and being convicted for a crime, as a result, is a character issue in my book. Would you want to hire this person to work for you without doing a serious background check? You might but it would be risky. We all lie from time to time, some of us more than others. Still, lying is a character issue, especially when it is a serious lie under serious circumstances, like in connection with a criminal investigation. Not saying the kid isn’t a great guy or that he isn’t (possibly) a victim of circumstances but Stoops is going out on a limb to make an offer to a convict. I don’t like it. I see no good reason to do it. It will be used against UK by other schools.

63. Trust Stoops and his staff
    2:06 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

Good points made by all. We pay and trust Coach Stoops to make these decisions. I am content to let him do his job. It’s on him if it’s not the right decision and I am certain he will make sure it turns out well for the program.

64. bill
    2:16 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

Let me guess, an 18 yr old had sex w a 17 yr old and is accused of rape…non story

65. classof68
    2:21 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

In Stoops we trust.

66. Mike In The Wood
    2:36 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

I’m all for 4 and 5 star recruits but this sounds a bit to salty for my liking. How are we gonna make fun of Louisville for taking Dyer.

67. KG
    2:54 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

I can see no problem with Stoops decision wanting this young man.

68. El Guapo
    3:06 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

News flash: in order to get top quality recruits to the University of Kentucky, we are gonna have to take a chance on some questionable kids.

UofL certainly has no problem doing it. If you haven’t noticed, they’re also kicking our rectums up between our shoulder blades these days in pretty much every sport that anyone watches.

69. I'll Pass . . .
    3:19 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

He may have been acquitted of BOTH rape charges, or one and a mistrial on the other, or a not guilty on one and plea deal on the other BUT the University of Kentucky does not NEED this one receiver badly enough to risk what Stoops will be risking. The girl in the story seems to have all sorts of issues – especially given the fact that she continued to hang around with this guy. Nevertheless, the guy is a liability for the coaching staff . . . what happens when he rapes a UK student? Is Stoops complicit? I’m all for giving someone a break with a marijuana bust or alcohol but rape allegations are a violent crime. I wouldn’t risk my good will on such a kid to give him a break. Not a great move IMO.

70. Louisville1Cal4
    3:41 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

We need talent but Idt we need this kid. Rapist, drug dealers, gun carrying thugs & trash overall belong at UofL, not UK.

71. Makes me sick
    3:49 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

#68 your comment makes me sick. So basically we need to take kids of questionable character so we can win, and further we are holding up UofL as our standard. It’s okay to load up with punks because UofL does it and they beat us? Disgusting. I think you are of questionable character. Rise above it UK! Do NOT TAKE CHANCES ON THUGS!

72. Big Blue Coming At You
    3:53 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

I think it’s time Kentucky stop trying to be the nice guy and take a chance on some of these players. We’re always looking for the good guys and there’s nothing wrong with that but not every player can be that way. I don’t want us to be thug U like the dirty birds but it’s time we get in on some of these more questionable recruits.

73. Yup
    4:14 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

If Petrino should get a second chance, this kid should too…..

74. Bobbysueflay
    4:16 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

I’m wondering what site has him as a 4 star? Espn and scout are both 3?

75. JerryC
    6:12 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

If this is the kind of guys Coach Stoops is gonna recruit my opinion of him just changed.

76. Fuller O'prah
    6:30 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

Kentucky’s lucky that Coach Charlie Strong did not want him because he’s not criminal enough to suit up for the Cords.

77. Yep
    7:14 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

Here’s a novel idea. Let’s trust that our head coach knows what he’s doing.

78. James
    8:22 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

ROGER HAS NEVER BEEN IN TROUBLE BEFORE. THE GIRL LIED AND POLICE PRESSED CHARGES THE DAY BEFORE SIGNING DAY TO CREATE A CONTROVERSY. HE DATED THE GIRL FOR 3-4 YEARS AND ONCE HER ASIAN PARENTS FOUND OUT ABOUT HIM DRIVING THE VEHICLE AND THE SEXUAL RELATIONSHIP SHE FLIPPED THE SCRIPT. YOU WOULD BE GETTING THE BEST CHARACTER AND MORALLY GROUNDED RESPECTFUL KID IN THE CLASS OF 2014. TRUST ME HE IS A GREAT YOUNG MAN AND WHEN YOU MEET HIM YOU WILL BE ASTOUNDED. NO SLANG TALK,YES MA’AM YES SIR TYPE OF KID. AND LET ME TELL YOU HE IS GONNA BE A GREAT WR IN THE MODE OF STEVE SMITH.

79. James
    8:24 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

IF I ALREADY KNEW HIM LIKE I KNOW HIM KNOW I WOULD ALLOW HIM TO DATE MY DAUGHTER. FINE YOUNG MAN WHO WENT THRU A HELLISH SITUATION.

80. Jack Sims
    8:49 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

If we get him, we can’t say anything about loserville getting Dyer.