Kentucky reaches out to 7-foot-2 five-star center

Photo: ADAM AYALEW

Kentucky is in contact with a huge recruit. Literally.

Hunter Dickinson, a 7-foot-2, 260-pound center in the class of 2020, is receiving interest from the Cats.

According to Rivals’ Justin Rowland, Dickinson has been in contact with Kentucky assistant coach Joel Justus, while John Calipari watched him play at Peach Jam.

The newest Kentucky target was named Second Team All-Peach Jam, leading Team Takeover to the Peach Jam title in the process.

Dickinson is considered the No. 17 player in the class of 2020, according to Rivals.com. 247 Sports has him ranked No. 20 in the nation, while ESPN lists him at No. 21.

The Hyattsville, MD native and DeMatha Catholic product currently holds offers from Virginia, Florida State, Maryland, Notre Dame, South Carolina, and USC, among others.

Here he was as a freshman last year:

And another short clip of his play at Peach Jam last week:

7-foot-2? Smooth shooting stroke? Lefty?

Sign me up.

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

10 Comments for Kentucky reaches out to 7-foot-2 five-star center

1. shelby
    11:00 pm July 23, 2018 Permalink

2 yrs, maybe 3. Then transfer. Show me he can guard the perimeter when caught in a pick.

• ClutchCargo
      8:59 am July 24, 2018 Permalink

The way he moves, I’m not worried that he can learn. Besides, he would be more of a rim protector, which is what we have lacked for the most part since WCS.

2. KYcats11
    11:16 pm July 23, 2018 Permalink

Class of 2020 and a freshman last year doesn’t add up to me…

• Jack Pilgrim
      12:38 am July 24, 2018 Permalink

The video was posted a year ago at the end of his freshman season, but yeah, I got you. Could’ve phrased it better. He’s going into his junior season.

3. KYcats11
    11:19 pm July 23, 2018 Permalink

I could be wrong though

4. E Cat
    11:47 pm July 23, 2018 Permalink

Agreed. Really liked what I saw of him at Peach Jam but does not fit Cal’s D system – bigs who can switch and/or block at rim. That said, Cal seems to be targeting more offensively talented players of late.

5. dismore
    7:37 am July 24, 2018 Permalink

What happened to the position-less recruiting? It’s all smoke and mirrors folks. Tell the kids what they want to hear to get them into your school.

6. BBNBRIAN
    8:34 am July 24, 2018 Permalink

I’m sure he’ll be an ok player somewhere, but not at UK. There is zero versatility to this kids game. He will be shut down by defenses forcing him to his “right”. Watch the clips again – I doubt this kid can pick his own nose with his right hand. Is he tall? Yes. Can he rebound? Yes. Does he have good court vision? Yes. Can he sink a hook shot? Yes. That’s about it… It takes more than being tall to make it at the next level. Watching this kid run is painful and reminds me of Shawn Bradly. Best of luck to him where ever he ends up.

• ClutchCargo
      9:04 am July 24, 2018 Permalink

It is WAY too early in this kid’s development to make those criticisms. It’s going to take a little time for any kid his age at 7-2 to grow into his body. And if all he ever does offensively is rebound, finish and find the open man, I’m completely fine with that.

7. michaelb
    11:44 am July 24, 2018 Permalink

It’s too early for these criticisms . Thon maker looked worse than this early in high school