The field is set for the 146th running of the Kentucky Oaks.
This Friday nine horses will load the gates at Churchill Downs as the best three-year-old fillies race for the garland of lilies. This 1 1/8 miles race pits two of the sport’s superstars head to head for the first time, Swiss Skydiver and Gamine.
Out of Bob Baffert’s barn, Gamine is the 1-1 ML favorite, just ahead of Swiss Skydiver at 8-5. Gamine has dominated competition to this point, with an asterisk: she was one of two Baffert horses that failed a drug test at Oaklawn Park after winning on the Arkansas Derby undercard on the first Saturday in May. Swiss Skydiver came in second to the boys in the Blue Grass Stakes before bouncing back with a 3 1/2-length win in the Alabama Stakes at Saratoga.
The purse for the Kentucky Oaks is $1.25 million. Post time is set for 5:45 pm on Friday, Sept. 4.
Kentucky Oaks 146 Morning Line Odds
1) Swiss Skydiver (8-5), Tyler Gaffalione, Kenny McPeek
2) Tempers Rising (50-1), Julien Leparoux, Dallas Stewart
3) Donna Veloce (15-1), Ricardo Santana, Simon Callaghan
4) Speech (5-1), Javier Castellano, Michael McCarthy
5) Gamine (1-1), John Velazquez, Bob Baffert
6) Bayerness (50-1) Rafael Bejarano, Cherie DeVaux
7) Shedaresthedevil (20-1), Florent Geroux, Brad Cox
8) Hopeful Growth (30-1), Manny Franco, Anthony Margotta Jr.
9) Dream Marie (50-1), Joe Talamo, Matthew Williams