Kentucky no longer an option for Jarrett Allen

As we continue to wait on Marques Bolden’s decision, it appears we can now mark Jarrett Allen off the list of backup/alternate options. Allen is one of the top targets left in the 2016 class and technically still had Kentucky on his list…until this morning. According to Jon Rothstein, Allen is down to Kansas, Houston, or Texas, and Kentucky and Notre Dame are “no longer options.”

If you’re the eternal optimist, I guess you could spin that phrase to mean Kentucky got some good news with Bolden that impacted Allen’s decision; however, if you’re a realist (which you should be), you would read it as Kentucky didn’t prioritize Allen enough early on and Allen simply dropped the Cats from his list. I’m going with the latter.

As for Bolden? He’s reportedly still “torn” over his decision; hopefully I won’t look like by the time it rolls around:

22 Comments for Kentucky no longer an option for Jarrett Allen

1. PuppArena
    1:01 pm April 28, 2016 Permalink

2. Booby Petrino
    1:18 pm April 28, 2016 Permalink

Or we could look at it like this: Saying KY is no longer an option for Allen makes it sound like we pulled the offer, so Bolden is coming. However, if it’s really that Allen is no longer an option for KY, we’re back to square one because that means he cut us out. Or you could just look at it as bad wording in a tweet 🙂

• PuppArena
      1:20 pm April 28, 2016 Permalink

Need aspirin

3. Mathlete
    1:26 pm April 28, 2016 Permalink

Why do elite bigs keep choosing Kansas? Have they noticed Self isn’t actually that great at developing players?

• PuppArena
      1:28 pm April 28, 2016 Permalink

Great tradition, state of the art facilities, automatic conference champion, easy classes…pretty simple

• Sarahvah
      3:04 pm April 28, 2016 Permalink

Terrible troll comment.

4. PuppArena
    1:29 pm April 28, 2016 Permalink

Also, UK is not cut out for everyone

5. thabeast
    1:36 pm April 28, 2016 Permalink

That afro is too much anyway

6. mapcatfan
    1:53 pm April 28, 2016 Permalink

I probably have a bit of a different take. I guess I sort of “get” that he or any player doesn’t particularly like being the second option, but someone has to be number one, right? Saying “If I’m not their top priority, I’m going elsewhere” seems akin to cutting your nose off to spite your own face…………..if he truly wants to come to UK that badly. If he doesn’t, and being the main guy is more important, then fine – don’t wait.

7. playmorezeppelin
    1:56 pm April 28, 2016 Permalink

Red woman is a babe

8. Larry Pratt
    1:56 pm April 28, 2016 Permalink

I think even missing on Allen and potentially Bolden isn’t the worst thing. I think our post play will be much improved next season, and I can’t wait for next season.

9. Larry Pratt
    1:57 pm April 28, 2016 Permalink

Though, I’m hopeful we get to experience a much better football season, first.

10. A_Blue_Wildcat
    1:58 pm April 28, 2016 Permalink

Makes sense why he wouldn’t want to go to UK considering how loaded our frontcourt will be next season, but I don’t really understand why Kansas is still on his list. KU is going to have a very loaded frontcourt next year as well and Bill Self rarely plays his bench. My best guess is he’s going to Texas, but it’s still just odd that he would have KU on his list.

• @GoCayts
      2:24 pm April 28, 2016 Permalink

KU doesn’t have a loaded frontcourt … Diallo’s trying to go pro even though Self didn’t play him … Ellis, Traylor and Mickelson are graduating (combined 50+ min/game) … It would be Allen & Bragg with Azubuike and Lucas backing them up. If Diallo decides to return, maybe, but not really. Azubuike isn’t going to play much his first year, dude needs to get in shape and is still very raw.

• PuppArena
      3:27 pm April 28, 2016 Permalink

Um.. does Frank Mason and Josh Jackson ring a bell?

• A_Blue_Wildcat
      4:22 pm April 28, 2016 Permalink

@GoCayts Lucas started most of last season and Bill Self loves him, he will start every game next season. Bragg will most likely start as well since he started to play better towards the end of last season and they need him out there for offensive purposes, because playing Lucas and Allen would be terrible offensively. Azubuike doesn’t look much worse than Allen, so I doubt that Allen would get much more minutes than him. Diallo hasn’t signed an agent yet, so there’s a decent chance he could come back, and if he does then he would certainly play over Allen. Also Josh Jackson can play the 4. So if Diallo comes back then that would be 4 All-Americans (not including Allen), and a senior that started most of last year, that can play in the frontcourt. That’s decently loaded, especially considering how little Bill Self uses his bench.

• @GoCayts
      5:21 pm April 28, 2016 Permalink

Lucas averaged 19 min/game last year, although played a lot in the tourney … I don’t know how much Self likes him, but I think Bragg starts and Allen/Lucas would share min regardless of who starts. Allen is only playing the 4 or 5 and there is no way Josh Jackson is playing the 4 … no way. Jackson is about 6’6″ or 6’7″ and weighs right at 200#, the dude played a lot of PG this past year. He can definitely play and guard 1-3, but will not play any higher than that. – here’s an article by Jerry Meyer from yesterday: http://247sports.com/Article/Why-Kansas-signee-Josh-Jackson-is-so-special-45034992

You’re right about Diallo, I keep forgetting people don’t always leave after a year at other schools, ha … but, I think he could jump up a few draft boards after scouts get a chance to see him at the combine.

11. gcat4496
    3:04 pm April 28, 2016 Permalink

If Bolden was 70% sure on Duke he would have committed by now. Duke’s roster is set so there is no remaining mystery at Duke. So why is he delaying. Maybe he is worried about playing time with Giles, Jefferson & Tatum up front, there are only so many minutes. Additionally, even if he gets the minutes, he has to be the 4th or 5th option on offense. Duke will use him as a rebounder, shot blocker, and screen setter because he is not going to be the main go to guy with Giles, Tatum and Grayson Allen and Luke Kennard on the floor. Just my take. When you have 8 or 9 5 starts someone’s stats will take a hit.

12. kjd
    3:12 pm April 28, 2016 Permalink

My understanding at this point, we’re out of scholarships. So we can’t sign anyone until there’s an opening.
    With that said, we don’t know what Calipari is getting from Bolden. Must be something encouraging, or, you would think, he’d go hard for Allen. Unless, he’s not that sold on Allen. We already have 3 backup centers.

• @GoCayts
      3:50 pm April 28, 2016 Permalink

depends on how you look at it … we kind of have 2 open spots right now as Lee and Briscoe are going through the draft process … if they both decide to return, then we’re full

13. 2thepoint
    3:58 pm April 28, 2016 Permalink

Everything is speculation because anyone that knows isn’t talking. If he wants to have a chance, a real chance, to head to the nba in one year he shouldn’t go to Duke. I could see him being shown that Allen, Kinnard and the 2 newbies all love to take a pass and shoot. Bolden saw that in the all star games.

14. Kyblue34
    4:39 pm April 28, 2016 Permalink

Allen wouldn’t wait this long to say that he’s no longer considering UK because they didn’t show enough love early on. That doesn’t make any sense. If that were the case, he would have dropped us early on, or at least not waited this late to pick between Kansas, Texas, & Houston. The only thing that does make sense is that he has been hoping and waiting for a true, committable UK offer, and recently learned that it’s not coming for whatever reason.