Living in Kentucky is miserable, says study

Kentucky is a miserable place to live. It’s one of the most miserable places to live in the entire county, according to a study. (I respectfully disagree.)

Over 160,000 human beings were interviewed to determine the Gallup-Sharecare Well-Being Index, which reviews how people live their lives. The index consists of five categories: sense of purpose, social relationships, financial security, relationship to community and physical health.

24/7 Wall Street then broke down the index’s findings by state, and found that Kentucky is the 45th most miserable state in America.

Here’s what it says about the Bluegrass:

45. Kentucky

Residents who like what they do every day: 70.6% (2nd lowest)
Residents w/ a strong social relationship: 76.0% (12th highest)
Residents in near perfect physical health: 48.4% (3rd lowest)
Poverty rate: 18.5% (4th highest)
Violent crime rate: 232.3 per 100,000 (7th lowest)

Using your strengths and enjoying what you do every day can greatly contribute to a sense of purpose — one of the most important pillars of personal well-being. In Kentucky, just 70.6% of adults like what they do every day, and 63.3% use their strengths to maximize their potential every day — the second smallest and smallest shares of any state, respectively. The relatively weak sense of purpose may partially explain the prevalence of depression in the state. Some 23% of respondents in Kentucky have had a depression in their lifetime, the fourth largest share of any state.

In addition, many also likely suffer from poor physical health. Only 48.4% of respondents in Kentucky assess their own physical health as near-perfect, the third smallest share of any state. Suboptimal health, for many, may be attributable to unhealthy habits. For example, just 57.4% of adults in the state eat healthily all day, the third smallest share of any state.

South Dakota ranked first on the well-being list with the highest percentage of residents who like what they do everyday and residents in near perfect physical shape.

Only Oklahoma, Mississippi, Arkansas and West Virginia are worse than Kentucky.

[America most miserable? An analysis of well-being]

Article written by Drew Franklin

38 Comments for Living in Kentucky is miserable, says study

1. nschulte13
    11:04 am July 27, 2018 Permalink

That’s what they get for only interviewing Louisville fans.

• KyZoneBlitz
      2:55 pm July 27, 2018 Permalink

Hahahahaha, that’s great, and yet, so TRUE, lol

• runningunnin.454
      5:00 pm July 27, 2018 Permalink

Yep,UL fans have been in a lousy mood for three years, culminating this past February.

2. dismore
    11:11 am July 27, 2018 Permalink

Heading south as soon as my son graduates.

3. Ridge Runner
    11:12 am July 27, 2018 Permalink

That’s ridiculous. My home state that has all 4 seasons, horse farms, vacation spots from the mountains to Mammoth Cave. Just off top of my head. Crazy.

• Ridge Runner
      11:14 am July 27, 2018 Permalink

I understand about the financial portion. But still… I don’t know- I admit I’m bias and living in humid Georgia 8 months of the year taints my view.

4. Bluebloodtoo
    11:31 am July 27, 2018 Permalink

I don’t think this study is really measuring against regional culture and beliefs. They might be asking the same questions to everyone, but interpreting people’s answers and their own state of mind based on the beliefs determined by the study. Too much bias in this for my taste.

• ClutchCargo
      2:44 pm July 27, 2018 Permalink

Kind of like when they include “things to do” in a measurement of quality of life in a city/county/state. Those of us working and raising kids have plenty to do and don’t necessarily need to be entertained to have satisfaction in our lives.

5. Iamheasyouarehe
    11:40 am July 27, 2018 Permalink

I find it hard to believe that 70% like what they do every day.

• Wilfred Smith
      11:56 am July 27, 2018 Permalink

Anywhere. That’s Imagimation Land. It’s called work for a reason.

• Bluebloodtoo
      12:19 pm July 27, 2018 Permalink

Exactly my point, these questions are too to subjective.

• Bobbum Man
      12:42 pm July 27, 2018 Permalink

Stopped taking it seriously as soon as I saw that lol… no chance that’s close to accurate

• Iamheasyouarehe
      1:26 pm July 27, 2018 Permalink

Yeah after I thought about it I realized 69% were liars or the person who wrote this is 100% liar.

• plumloopy
      1:44 pm July 27, 2018 Permalink

Seriously, none of you like what you do for a living? And that’s okay with you?

• Iamheasyouarehe
      1:50 pm July 27, 2018 Permalink

You’re part of the 1% who loves what you do every day…..loopy

6. davget
    11:43 am July 27, 2018 Permalink

I lived in KY for 10 years and SD for 4 years. Based on those categories, I can’t disagree with the assessment. However, I’d still prefer KY or SD as a place to live.

7. runningunnin.454
    12:10 pm July 27, 2018 Permalink

Great, let’s all move to South Dakota and freeze. If you’re lucky enough to live in Kentucky, you’re lucky enough.

8. Wade
    12:26 pm July 27, 2018 Permalink

We need to keep ky a secret… they don’t have a clue

9. Mc12
    12:47 pm July 27, 2018 Permalink

45th most miserable or 5th most miserable? My head hurts.

10. Alex90
    1:20 pm July 27, 2018 Permalink

Yea KY is a great secret. Honestly I’m glad we get a bad rep for being poor miserable hicks because it keeps most people away. On average KY people that are born and raised here are just good people most times and you don’t get that everywhere. Other than the Drug epidemic and West End of Lville murders Ky seems like a great place

11. Luether
    1:23 pm July 27, 2018 Permalink

This is just another bogus left wing “study” designed to throw shade on red states…

12. BluKudzu
    1:27 pm July 27, 2018 Permalink

Ok, that’s it. Moving out of the commonwealth, glad I saw this report, since it is all that matters.

13. My Dixie Wrecked
    1:34 pm July 27, 2018 Permalink

If Kentucky could sell off Eastern Kentucky to West Virginia, then Kentucky would be awesome!

• Sentient Third Eye
      2:17 pm July 27, 2018 Permalink

Our we could just get rid of all the losers who have such a low opinion of the absolute best Kentucky has to offer.

14. Iamheasyouarehe
    1:36 pm July 27, 2018 Permalink

I was raised in a very small rural town and people have been moving in from large cities for many years now, I hardly know any of the last names there now. So it’s not that big of a secret.

15. plumloopy
    1:43 pm July 27, 2018 Permalink

Well, if you like what you do every day, have a strong social relationship, are in near perfect physical health, not in poverty or been a crime victim, then you have nothing to worry about.

16. jaws2
    1:56 pm July 27, 2018 Permalink

I’ll say this, as soon as the opportunity arrives in the fall, I will for CERTAIN move out of Jefferson county.
    I am sick and tired of mayor McBikelane screwing up some of the most traveled streets for maybe 50 cyclists a day. On my friggin dime!!! This city is overrun with tax wastes and as long as it’s run by the Dem’s it’s always going to be.
    No more of my money after September!!!

• Iamheasyouarehe
      1:58 pm July 27, 2018 Permalink

Guessing you helped elect the non Kentuckian Republican Governor.

• jaws2
      2:21 pm July 27, 2018 Permalink

Yep and so far he hasn’t thrown my money out the window. The guys dealing with at least 6 decades of fiscal abuse, mostly democrats, and is doing all he can to make some semblance of fiscal responsibility. Yeah, it’s a damn shame he’s trying to correct this malfeasance by BOTH parties.

• Sentient Third Eye
      2:23 pm July 27, 2018 Permalink

I’m not a resident of Jefferson County, but I drive through about once a month. Speaking as an objective outsider, I think the roads there were laid out in the sixties by someone with a serious LSD problem.

• 4everUKblue
      7:24 pm July 27, 2018 Permalink

Wow! That’s how you see what Bevin is doing Jaws? Find yourself an AA meeting and get some help.

17. 8generationsblue
    2:05 pm July 27, 2018 Permalink

Kentucky is awesome! I wouldn’t want to live anywhere else!

18. silverado
    2:08 pm July 27, 2018 Permalink

Education, education, education. Work/lifestyle satisfaction, healthy diet and above-average income all relate directly to how well educated the population is. Our pockets of poverty throughout the state hurt us in a survey such as this.

19. Sentient Third Eye
    2:21 pm July 27, 2018 Permalink

Kentucky at its worst is still a million times superior to dystopian hellholes like New York, LA and Chicago.

20. KyZoneBlitz
    2:53 pm July 27, 2018 Permalink

If we are the 45th most miserable state, you know that puts us near the bottom of that category, correct? As in 45 back from the #1 Most miserable state (has to be tennessee). So if done by accident, and you flip it, not counting Alaska or Hawaii, then we are the 5th most miserable state? Not 45th. Plus assuming everyone told the truth, or we happened to tell the truth m oreso than other states. Too many possible variables to claim factual. Especially with only interviewing a very very very miniscule number of people from the state, where 5 times as many might feel differently, and put us lower on the list. Just a thought, Go Cats.

Oh, I love my job, love my state, don’t really care about community other than the BBN, and I’m in NEAR-perfect health, lol, other than the red-meat and salt, which is off-set by weekly workout plans and quality supplements plus a massive intake of Water and Electrolytes.

21. njcat54
    8:15 pm July 27, 2018 Permalink

There is a direct correlation in the results of this study with the results of studies about education, obesity and drug use. All the usual players – Miss, WVA, Ark. It would be good to see Kentuckians take surveys like this to heart instead of being defensive or challenging the results. That is just a vicious cycle of denial that leaves KY at the bottom of almost every ranking… save b-ball.

22. michaelb
    8:25 pm July 27, 2018 Permalink

I’ve learned that everything is what YOU make it , same shit is everywhere no matter where ya go