On Friday, John Calipari extended a scholarship offer to 2021 five-star combo guard Hunter Sallis. Not surprisingly, Sallis followed up by including Kentucky in his top 12 last night along with Michigan, Oregon, Gonzaga, North Carolina, Auburn, Iowa State, Alabama, Creighton, Kansas, Louisville, and UCLA.
Top 12! pic.twitter.com/NuBzENpwI9
— Hunter Sallis (@HunterSallis_) August 23, 2020
If you were offline most of the weekend like yours truly, here’s what you need to know about Sallis:
- He plays for Millard North High School in Omaha, Nebraska
- He is 6’4″, 165 lbs. and considered the 2nd best combo guard in the 2021 class behind Jaden Hardy (also a UK target)
- Kentucky’s involvement picked up once Kennedy Chandler committed to Tennessee, with Joel Justus serving as lead recruiter
- Kansas and North Carolina were the perceived favorites until Kentucky came into the picture
- Even though Kentucky secured a commitment from four-star point guard Nolan Hickman on Saturday, Sallis is still high on the list and vice versa, according to Rivals’ Corey Evans.
- “I’m thinking that they have already discussed a situation with Hunter playing next to other guards,” Evans told the Herald-Leader’s Ben Roberts. “I don’t think it will play much of a factor. … They really, really, really want Hunter Sallis, and that was with Nolan Hickman in mind. So I still think Kentucky is probably 1 or 1A for Hunter Sallis already.”
- According to his Instagram story, he’s committing “sooner rather than later”:
Well then. All’s that’s left is to watch some highlights.
— QuadVisual (@AveryQuad) July 13, 2020