Kentucky is “recruiting the heck out of” 5-Star DE Mykel Williams

Kentucky is a finalist for one of the most talented football players in America. As Mark Stoops applies more pressure, things appear to be breaking in the Wildcats’ favor.

Hailing from Columbus, Ga., Mykel Williams is a consensus top 50 football player in the 2022 recruiting class. A five-star prospect according to Rivals, he’s the top-ranked defensive end and No. 21 player overall.

Kentucky made the initial cut to ten schools. That number has dwindled to five finalists with the Wildcats featured alongside USC, Georgia, Georgia Tech and LSU.

Williams planned on announcing a commitment in March, leading many to believe the home state school of Georgia would be the choice. Now that it appears players will be able to take visits over the summer, Williams has delayed his decision until late June and scheduled officials to Georgia Tech and USC. By extending his recruitment, it leaves the door open for Kentucky to make a move.

“Coach Stoops has been recruiting the heck out of me,” Williams told Rivals. “When I come to Kentucky, he says he wants to better me and make sure I’m good.”

Williams is worth every ounce of Stoops’ recruiting energy. We saw what Kentucky’s defense looked like with a game-changer on the edge and Williams can be that guy. The Wildcats are a long way from securing a commitment over the home state schools, but if UK can win the Mykel Williams’ lottery, it will pay out in the form of scrumptious sack lunches.

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

13 Comments for Kentucky is “recruiting the heck out of” 5-Star DE Mykel Williams

1. UK Big Board Update
    2:52 pm March 24, 2021 Permalink

LMAO. Yall remember all those idiots who thought we should fire Stoops in his second year?

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      4:59 pm March 24, 2021 Permalink

Yep, but I think that was a vocal minority. Most of us (I think) knew the program was in shambles when he took over. I hate to say that because I liked Joker, but he just didn’t get it done.

• The Big Lebowski
      11:14 pm March 25, 2021 Permalink

No. I don’t.

I do remember idiots who say “remember all those idiots who thought we should fire Stoops in his second year”, though.

Give it a rest.

2. Duuuuuude
    2:56 pm March 24, 2021 Permalink

Yea, they wanted Bobby Patrino. lol

3. Brutal Hustler
    4:51 pm March 24, 2021 Permalink

Notice he says *WHEN* he comes to Kentucky, not IF he comes here. That’s the loudest silent verbal I’ve ever heard! (Lol jk, unless…)

• ClutchCargo
      6:01 pm March 24, 2021 Permalink

Nice catch! I first took that to mean what Stoops was telling him on visits to campus, but obviously that hasn’t been possible for awhile now.

4. ThankfulCat
    5:36 pm March 24, 2021 Permalink

He’s been a silent commit to UGA for awhile. Why do you do these articles?

5. Wade
    5:48 pm March 24, 2021 Permalink

We are going to give him the spotlight ga won’t guarantee that and will recruit his spot hard with no real loyalty. Stoops has that and tenure in the sec. think he goes to ga with Kentucky a close second. Hope I’m wrong. Keep crootin stoops go shock the world.