Kentucky is Not one of a America’s Greatest States

The state of Kentucky is the greatest place on Earth for many, but not according to U.S. News and World Report.

The organization compiled a report ranking each state by compiling thousands data points to determine how well the state performs for each citizen.  The primary categories are health care, education, crime and corrections, infrastructure opportunity, economy and government.  Kentucky is at the bottom of the (bourbon) barrel at No. 42.  Of the seven categories, Kentucky is 35th or worse in every metric except crime and corrections, which is based on “public safety and the quality and fairness of their prison systems, including racial bias.”

The Top Ten States

1. Massachusetts
2. New Hampshire
3. Minnesota
4. North Dakota
5. Washington
6. Iowa
7. Utah
8. Maryland
9. Colorado
10. Vermont

To see the rest of the rankings and exactly how they compiled them, click here.

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

54 Comments for Kentucky is Not one of a America’s Greatest States

1. BigBlueWest
    10:36 am February 28, 2017 Permalink

Wonder how those states rank if you add in the most important factor……..traffic.

• Eazy
      10:50 am February 28, 2017 Permalink

Kentucky has a lot more people than half of the states in the top 10.

• Mathlete
      10:53 am February 28, 2017 Permalink

If that’s your most important factor, North Dakota wins for you out of that list. Montana, Nebraska, South Dakota, and Alaska would round out the top five in some order.

• Sentient Third Eye
      10:57 am February 28, 2017 Permalink

They didn’t even have basketball as a category. How are they supposed to measure quality of life when they leave out the most important things in life?

2. CPACAT
    10:37 am February 28, 2017 Permalink

Interestingly, 4 of those states are places that I would not consider living under just about any circumstance.

3. nicky
    10:41 am February 28, 2017 Permalink

Mass at the top of the list squashes all credibility for this article….meaningless

• unbridled
      10:43 am February 28, 2017 Permalink

Exactly.

• Eazy
      10:52 am February 28, 2017 Permalink

The list looks about right. They used good metrics so it’s not biased. At least we are ahead of a good portion of the South.

• RackEmWillie
      11:13 am February 28, 2017 Permalink

FAKE METRICS!!!!

FAKE NUMBERS!!!!

• kvltclassic
      11:59 am February 28, 2017 Permalink

Massachusetts is absolutely one of the top states in the country as anyone who has been there would attest haha

• Luether
      9:39 pm February 28, 2017 Permalink

This is just typical left wing fake news…

4. unbridled
    10:43 am February 28, 2017 Permalink

I’m thinking a LOT of bias is used when quantifying each data point and metric. Oh well. Kentucky is my home and it appears to be improving each day. God bless the bluegrass!

• Eazy
      10:54 am February 28, 2017 Permalink

When you have Mass and North Dakota both in the top 5 I’d say it’s not biased at all. Polar opposite states but both do well by the metrics.

• unbridled
      11:07 am February 28, 2017 Permalink

North Dakota is an outlier. The economic phenomena happening there can’t numerically be denied.

• unbridled
      11:08 am February 28, 2017 Permalink

Utah’s economy is much the same.

• Mathlete
      11:14 am February 28, 2017 Permalink

ND’s entire economy is based on resource extraction. The few people who do live there are mostly in the oil and natural gas industry and make insane amounts of money compared to the cost of living (compensation for living in North Dakota I guess?). They’re dragging up the metrics as a result.

• Eazy
      11:30 am February 28, 2017 Permalink

I agree ND is an outlier. They have less than a million people. But Utah and Iowa are also up there. I don’t see how it’s biased. KY is a great state but we have a lot of problems. I’ve lived in 10 states and I always end up back here.

5. Booby Petrino
    10:50 am February 28, 2017 Permalink

I’m not even interested in visiting 8 out of the top 10, let alone live in any of them.

6. kentuckyrld
    10:52 am February 28, 2017 Permalink

I lived in Mass. for a year and if that is the best this country has to offer then we all need to find a different country.

7. Mathlete
    10:52 am February 28, 2017 Permalink

I’d consider moving to three, maybe four of their top ten (Colorado, Maryland, Washington, maybe Utah). To each their own on the rest, but I’m not sure why anyone would want to live in North Dakota unless they really hate living near other people.

• Eazy
      10:56 am February 28, 2017 Permalink

Agreed. ND only did well because they have less than a million people.

• Sentient Third Eye
      11:47 am February 28, 2017 Permalink

With ND it’s all about the shale oil boom. They have experienced “gold rush” conditions over the past few years, even while the rest of the economy struggled.

8. davget
    10:52 am February 28, 2017 Permalink

I lived in KY for 10 years. Also lived in two of the top ten. KY is still my favorite place to live. Most beautiful state. Easy access by car or plane to anywhere in the US. People are the BEST. Loved living in KY.

• Eazy
      10:58 am February 28, 2017 Permalink

Agreed. KY is a great place. And we are in a central location with a lot of big cities nearby. Also a very unique state.

9. Realme
    11:00 am February 28, 2017 Permalink

That’s bs. Factor in cultural diversity, weather, scenic beauty, the happiness of the people. My parents have lived all over, and there was no question here is where they wanted to live out their older years.

• RackEmWillie
      11:09 am February 28, 2017 Permalink

You can’t use subjective things as a means of ranking.

• Mathlete
      11:11 am February 28, 2017 Permalink

A state that’s about 85-90% white (~88% per the last census) doesn’t have a lot of room to brag about diversity… In Kentucky there’s white, whiter, neon white, and off-white, then there’s the 12% that everyone else makes up. Lexington and Louisville are fairly diverse compared to the rest of the state, but on the whole the commonwealth is about as pale as anywhere in the US can get.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:54 am February 28, 2017 Permalink

Scenic beauty: Utah, Colorado, VT, NH and Washington make KY look like a redheaded stepchild in that regard…and we have some beautiful scenery, most of it in the mountains. The man-made horse farm country is very pretty but is fairly limited in area and is…well, man-made. Driving the WK parkway can be a rather depressing experience.

• Realme
      12:06 pm February 28, 2017 Permalink

ii Diversity doesn’t have to be only about skin color. Which is why I said cultural. There is a great Eastern Ky cultural heritage that is absolutely nothing like the middle of the state. No reason not to celebrate that.
      i These and other subjective measures are better indicators of where a person would enjoy living. And the way to measure them is to survey people.

• CatManDo
      1:13 pm February 28, 2017 Permalink

Not sure you can objectively rank “happiness” but I was thinking the same thing. To me, one thing that helps determine my happiness is (mostly) good weather. No way I would live in most of those top 10 states based on their typical weather/winters. I realize they have a lot going for them but that is a deal breaker for me. Of course many would love to live there for skiing, etc.

10. CATandMONKEY
    11:02 am February 28, 2017 Permalink

VT and NH are both pretty great but are becoming overwhelmed by an influx of Massholes. Politics and culture has shifted dramatically over the past 25 years and not always to the benefit of the natives.
    I lived my first 23 years in VT or NH and spent a great deal of time in MA.

Food choices and scenery in the Northeast are worthwhile but the taxes and cost of living…

I miss winter sports but KY offers a lot more positives than can be captured on a list like this. The problems noted for KY are real and I hope we continue to make progress.

11. taylorsvillecat
    11:07 am February 28, 2017 Permalink

Where are the most important metrics – basketball and bourbon?

12. ukblue22
    11:50 am February 28, 2017 Permalink

Evidently you have to be a far left leaning state to crack the top ten.

• BluKudzu
      12:51 pm February 28, 2017 Permalink

Not really. 6 of the states voted blue in the last election, but of the 6, 5 have voted blue since 1992. NH, IA, UT and ND voted Red. Colorado voted Blue this past election, but in previous elections it has a bit of Red history.
      Out of that list though, 7 states are outdoor enthusiasts dreams.The AT goes through four, and Washington, Colorado along with Washington offer as beautiful scenery as you can possibly find for those that love skiing, camping, snowboarding, back packing. FWIW, Game bird hunting is as good as it gets in both IA and ND.
      Not that I would choose to live in any other location, just that there is some merit for them to be had.

• BluKudzu
      1:25 pm February 28, 2017 Permalink

Meant to Add Utah, added Washington twice in the beautiful scenery and skiing, DOH!

13. CATandMONKEY
    11:58 am February 28, 2017 Permalink

Colorado and Iowa are probably around 50/50 and ND is hardly a blue state but your observation rings true for the remainder of the list.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:59 am February 28, 2017 Permalink

Was a reply to 12. Dadgummit.

• kvltclassic
      12:01 pm February 28, 2017 Permalink

Utah is one of the most conservative states in the country.

• ukblue22
      12:18 pm February 28, 2017 Permalink

I assumed your response was to me. But Colorado is a fairly liberal state. And I agree on ND but the rest of the list are seriously Blue States.

• CATandMONKEY
      12:48 pm February 28, 2017 Permalink

Duh on my part for missing Utah.
      Re: Colorado outside of Denver, Boulder and a few smaller left-leaning enclaves, Colorado is fairly conservative. But population-wise, yes. I still wouldn’t classify it with Oregon and Mass though.

14. mccullou
    12:00 pm February 28, 2017 Permalink

These sorts of rankings miss one important thing. If you are wealthy, your life is nice, no matter the state. Demarcus Cousins and Anthony Davis are millionaires in the 50th-rated state. They probably would not realize much difference from living there than from living in Massachusetts.

15. runningunnin.454
    12:16 pm February 28, 2017 Permalink

Who ever made this list likes freezing their a$$ off. No, thank you.
    And, who draws the most Hollywood elite, world leaders, filthy rich, and overall genteel masses…they all come to the Derby.

16. sincitycat
    12:44 pm February 28, 2017 Permalink

Utah, Iowa and North Dakota are not left leaning states. Of those in this top ten only Colorado and Washington have “legal” recreational marijuana or at least we do at the moment.

• CATandMONKEY
      12:51 pm February 28, 2017 Permalink

It could be argued that freedom to smoke the poison of your choice, as a state’s right is as conservative as you can get…politically. 😛 Live and let live.

• Booby Petrino
      2:25 pm February 28, 2017 Permalink

you don’t have to smoke “the poison”…you can eat the herb.

• Mathlete
      3:40 pm February 28, 2017 Permalink

Massachusetts just passed legal recreational marijuana in November, just FYI

17. Angelo
    2:13 pm February 28, 2017 Permalink

Washington should be number one. Not cold (west of the Cascades) like 1-4.

18. catsarerunnin
    2:59 pm February 28, 2017 Permalink

I love Kentucky because when I cross into Tennessee I can say “nothing sucks like an orange”. If I go to Ohio I can say ” THE Ohio St. Suckeyes”. When going to Indiana I can ask “Hoosier daddy??”. What’s not to love?

19. AGSlater
    3:12 pm February 28, 2017 Permalink

If Kentucky didnt have Louisville fans it would be top 10.

20. rosquirto
    3:48 pm February 28, 2017 Permalink

I’ve been all over but love living in central ky. Nice people, weather and close to what I like. Retiring to South Carolina some day for warmer weather but will hopefully have a place to come back to here as well.

21. CatBlue in LR