Kentucky has a Basketball Game Tonight (Wednesday Show Thread)

fox-ball

After the season started with a basketball game every other day, it feels like we’ve been waiting for an eternity to watch the Cats bounce back after their first lost of the season came Saturday against UCLA.  Tonight, they’ll retake the court against a tough Valpo team.

Matt and the KSR crew will preview the game, spend some time talking Kentucky football and discuss the ongoing dumpster fire at UofL.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

affiliate-list

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

48 Comments for Kentucky has a Basketball Game Tonight (Wednesday Show Thread)

1. ukjaybrat
    10:13 am December 7, 2016 Permalink

It always seems like an eternity after the loss before the next game. mostly because i pretty much avoid all sports for fear (anger?) of having to relive the loss over again in my head.
    The worst part is it never works. i inevitably see the final and replays and whatnot everywhere i look whether im trying or not. ugh

• Realme
      10:31 am December 7, 2016 Permalink

I always end up yelling at my radio because some well meaning expert is on the Leach Report explaining why we lost. I’m like you, I also prefer not to re-live losses.

• I don’t avoid all sports, but I do try to forget the loss. It’s impossible though, when I think of how many nattys we could have with a bounce of the ball (or a MADE SHOT) here or there.

This past Saturday when CBS was doing their tribute to Verne Lundquist, they replayed the Laettner shot again. I love Verne, but “Argggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!”

• And it caught me off guard because it was the SEC football championship pre-game. At least when it’s March Madness I know I’ll see it every 5 minutes.

• J-Dub421
      10:48 am December 7, 2016 Permalink

No one gets a loss shoved in their faces more than Kentucky fans. The Laettner shot, Texas Western, etc. Heck the Wattford shot in 2012 was made into an ESPN commercial and I had to see it about 2,000 times.

• ukjaybrat
      10:55 am December 7, 2016 Permalink

wattford shot – even though it meant absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. that’s what was so funny about it.

• ClutchCargo
      11:38 am December 7, 2016 Permalink

So, don’t let a guy named Christian have the ball in his hands at the end of the game. Duh!

Seriously, though. That buzzer beater literally didn’t bother me at all when it happened. In fact, I laughed out loud for some weird reason. I think it was the crazy reaction of all those Hoosier Daddy fans who acted like they had won the NCAAT or something. Also, I was just that confident that no one would stop our Cats when it mattered in the tourny.

2. Jiminy Crickets
    10:20 am December 7, 2016 Permalink

UL threatening to leave Yum is funny. Not only would they have to build a new on campus facility, which would be next to impossible without the Yum revenue, and they would have no place to play for 1-2 years, but moving to on-campus also prohibits them from alcohol sales in the ACC. If I was the city of Louisville board, I would call his bluff on primetime.

• RealCatsFan
      10:31 am December 7, 2016 Permalink

Jurich is behaving like a psychotic ex girlfriend I had. Any time we got in a fight (quite often) she would come over and repossess any gifts she had given me. I was never so glad to unload a VCR and DVD player. 🙂

• Realme
      10:33 am December 7, 2016 Permalink

Rick, Bobby and Tom are all basically still children in how they respond to things that don’t go their way.

• J-Dub421
      10:43 am December 7, 2016 Permalink

I am still laughing that they are on probation with their accrediting agency.

• That’s a crazy situation. I know things got a bit ugly between UK and the city over the Rupp renovation and the Capiluto letter, but Rupp is a 40 year old arena. Yum seems like they just took the shrink wrap off yesterday.

• ukjaybrat
      10:49 am December 7, 2016 Permalink

so if UL backs out of YUM, that will leave the burden of paying for it completely on the city, but at least the profits won’t go to the athletic department anymore… right? I would be up for an increase in taxes if it meant louisville didn’t get a dime of it. they are already basically having their athletic department funded by the taxpayers, half of which are kentucky fans. which is complete horse caca. said it when it happened it was an injustice to the taxpayers and it hasn’t been proven untrue yet.

• ukjaybrat
      10:50 am December 7, 2016 Permalink

plus then jurich couldn’t hold the city hostage against bringing in a pro team.

• J-Dub421
      10:51 am December 7, 2016 Permalink

You’re right Jiminy, the city should call their bluff. Also, where would Louisville put an on campus arena? They have less space than UK does.

• Maybe the Kings would finally pull the trigger and move there. The New Kentucky Colonels!

• Realme
      11:05 am December 7, 2016 Permalink

I hope that someday Boogie and Wall will be reunited, if that could happen as part of a returning Colonels team, my sports life would be complete. I know, but I can dream.

• Don’t forget they used to be the Cincinnati Royals. It would be nice to have an NBA team to root for. I kind of pull for the Hawks since I lived in GA for years, but I don’t have an attachment to them that I would with a Cincy or a Kentucky team.

• Realme
      11:15 am December 7, 2016 Permalink

I want to have an NBA attachment, but I just can’t get into any team since Detroit had Tayshaun, Billups and the Wallaces. Bring one close to here and I’m in, and it would almost certainly have former UK players, because they’re everywhere.

• runningunnin.454
      11:31 am December 7, 2016 Permalink

But North Carolina has NO problems with accreditation……go figure.

3. Realme
    10:28 am December 7, 2016 Permalink

Going to the game tonight y’alls. Got our tickets through the reply buy text thing that someone on here mentioned a few weeks ago and am pleased with how well it worked.

• Hold up a “Realme” sign so we can see you! 🙂
      Enjoy the game! I’ve only been to 1 game in Rupp, so at least I can say I’ve been.

• Realme
      10:56 am December 7, 2016 Permalink

I was going to borrow RCF’s mask from last game, but that would be bad mojo. 🙂

• RealCatsFan
      11:43 am December 7, 2016 Permalink

Yeah RealMe, I hope you bring the Cats better luck than we apparently did. To be fair, I have been to plenty of wins in Rupp, but Saturday I wore a blue Santa cap so my kids could easily spot me in the crowd. Needless to say, that stocking cap will be retired from Rupp duty.

• J-Dub421
      11:46 am December 7, 2016 Permalink

I can’t go live to a UK/U of L game anymore. I went to years in a row, once at Rupp and once at the then brand new Yum Center. We lost both. I haven’t gone to a UK/U of L game since. You’re welcome.

• J-Dub421
      11:47 am December 7, 2016 Permalink

*two, not to. Sheesh. It’s only Wednesday too.

• Realme
      11:50 am December 7, 2016 Permalink

Your sacrifice is appreciated JDub.

4. Whitesville Cat
    10:36 am December 7, 2016 Permalink

Did u give Bowling Green Kentucky’s Cage the Elephant a mention for best rock album Grammy nomination for Tell Me I’m Pretty. Their bass player Daniel Tichenor is a big Cat fan. However their drummer is a Cards fan.

• ukjaybrat
      10:53 am December 7, 2016 Permalink

i loved their first mainstream album, didn’t like their second. haven’t heard anything since really.

• RealCatsFan
      11:45 am December 7, 2016 Permalink

Have seen them live several times, and they put on a good show. “Back Against The Wall” doesn’t get as much airplay as their big single, but I think it might be their best song.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:47 am December 7, 2016 Permalink

There is just something so, so wrong hearing Matt talking about giving Ryan his big meat package.

• J-Dub421
      10:49 am December 7, 2016 Permalink

I find it hilarious. 🙂

6. J-Dub421
    10:53 am December 7, 2016 Permalink

Wayne Turner is still laughing over Wojo’s defensive player of the year award.

• He actually won that? Wow! Sorry I must have missed them talking about it.

I still can’t believe K didn’t put someone like William Avery on Turner at some point. Obvs I’m glad he didn’t though.

• J-Dub421
      11:13 am December 7, 2016 Permalink

Wojo for real won the defensive award for the NCAA tournament in 1998. It was laughable.

• I guess they thought slapping the floor was great defense. Turner spanked him so badly. It was beautiful.

• J-Dub421
      11:40 am December 7, 2016 Permalink

As one sportswriter put it, “Wojo got driven on more times that day than I-64.”

7. secrick
    10:56 am December 7, 2016 Permalink

Cats bowling , basketball, cards always in the news in a negative light, how can it get any better. VALPO is a good team they say.

8. Laker Cat 18
    10:56 am December 7, 2016 Permalink

If UCLA was our 2 seed? We may be UCLA’s 2 seed when it’s all said and done.

• ukjaybrat
      11:00 am December 7, 2016 Permalink

yeah the way they played against us, i don’t see them losing too many games in the pac12. west coast teams are largely a pile of garbage when it comes to basketball.

• secrick
      11:01 am December 7, 2016 Permalink

Would like to play them again but rather someone else knock them off.

• runningunnin.454
      11:23 am December 7, 2016 Permalink

UKjay, don’t you know Bill Walton calls he Pac-12 the conference of champions?
      Ha Ha Ha….he lives in the past.
      Actually, I’m not impressed with West Coast football either….I don’t expect ‘Bama to have any trouble with Washington.

• Sentient Third Eye
      11:32 am December 7, 2016 Permalink

Washington has skill position players every bit as good as Alabama, but the lines will be like men against boys. It could get ugly in the second half.

• RealCatsFan
      11:47 am December 7, 2016 Permalink

You just KNOW that they will put them in our bracket if they can. Any team that can be a bad matchup will always find their way into our bracket, it seems.

9. J-Dub421
    11:43 am December 7, 2016 Permalink

Ryan: “Sturgill is older, isn’t he like 40? This could be his only kid.”

Ummmm…. Men don’t actually have the babies Ryan. It doesn’t matter how old he is, only how old his wife is.

10. Realme
    11:54 am December 7, 2016 Permalink

Kind of amazing a hypothetical where Drew gets married and has kids is not met with a choking fit. He and Abby must be the real deal.