Kentucky football loses wide receiver commitment

gaskin

Kentucky’s next great football class lost one of its members with the new decommitment of Cadarius Gaskin. Ryan Bartow of 247Sports fame broke the news this morning:

Gaskin’s commitment wasn’t even a month old. The 113rd-ranked wide receiver out of Florida committed to Kentucky back on April 16 after receiving his offer in January. Now he’s back open to the recruiting world.

Article written by Drew Franklin

10 Comments for Kentucky football loses wide receiver commitment

1. Rod Crandler
    10:55 am May 8, 2017 Permalink

I think we need to come up with a new word for these decisions other than “commitment”.

• ^^^THIS^^^

Is there a word for “I think I’ll probably come there unless: 1) an offer I like better comes along, 2) another dude commits that I don’t want to compete with for playing time”?

• @GoCayts
      1:01 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

A lot of people already took the word out and just say “kentucky got a verbal”

2. ClutchCargo
    11:12 am May 8, 2017 Permalink

I’m not too broken up about this, quite honestly. A kid that changes his mind that quickly probably wouldn’t have ever made it to campus anyway.

3. Catdaddy987
    11:19 am May 8, 2017 Permalink

Agreed Rod, maybe call it “Perhapsments.” I think this generation of amateur athlete needs to make more informed, more thought out decisions before making such a commitment. It’s becoming more and more common. Not just in this program but all across the national landscape.

4. hal9944
    11:37 am May 8, 2017 Permalink

This is the thing with recruiting that bothers me the most…early commitments shouldnt even be allowed to commit early. Its pointless to commit that early when 80% of early commits seem to back out anyway. .there needs to be tougher rules on once you say your commited, you must stay commited. Thats what the word commitment means.

• UK Fan In Nashville
      12:20 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

The NCAA introduced a measure to have an early signing period starting next fall. It still needs to be voted into its bylaws, but if it passes Kentucky will benefit greatly. Obviously it wouldn’t have matter for this situation, but think of all of the “commitments” we’ve lost a couple weeks before the Spring National Signing Day. One thing I like about Stoops and Co. is they have an eye for talent and find a lot of gems before they blow up. Getting them signed in the Fall before the mass exoduses at powerhouse programs to the NFL, would be huge.

5. DelrayCat
    11:38 am May 8, 2017 Permalink

As my screen name implies…I know this area. Rest assured BBN, this is a blessing in disguise.

6. UK Fan In Nashville
    12:15 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

LOL 113rd.

7. WizardWCN
    2:09 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

I don’t think 80% of commitments change their minds, I think maybe 10-20 % more then likely, and even at that, we don’t know which ones changed their minds, and what ones were encouraged to look else where when better recruits, grades, off field issues, less then stiller play, and injuries come into play. Early signing period would stop some of the last min. swooping in on a player, and coaches who kick a commitment to the curb because they wanted room for some 5 star kicked off another team for drugs, fighting, grades, drugs, ect. It will help out the teams that can ID good players early, and hurt teams that don’t do homework. But then again, how much does a LOI bind a player to a college? seems basketball players are getting out of LOI all the time.