Kentucky fan threatens to “divorce” program over Colin Kaepernick ad

The University of Kentucky has no connections to Colin Kaepernick, but that didn’t stop one fan from emailing Mitch Barnhart to threaten to start cheering to the University of Louisville if UK didn’t drop its partnership with Nike.

USA Today’s Dan Wolken collected emails from Nike schools across the country following Nike’s ad campaign featuring Kaepernick, whose protests of racial injustice and police brutality during the national anthem sparked a movement in the NFL. Among them was an email from Charles Schweinhart, a Kentucky fan, to Barnhart, the school’s athletic director.

“My life, therefore my family’s life, revolves around U of K athletics,” Schweinhart wrote. “The news from Nike is very troubling. I can not support a company that rewards un-American actions. Will this cause me to divorce Kentucky? Should I start pulling for the Adidas school in Jefferson County. Help me. To leave the (Big Blue Nation) would cause my father to roll over in his grave, as well as making me change 3/4 of my wardrobe. I love the Cats. HELP.”

Schweinhart wasn’t the only one. Lawrence Hayes, a UK graduate, wrote both Barnhart and UK President Eli Capilouto to say the school would hypocritical to stay with Nike after taking Papa John Schnatter’s name off the business school following his racially insensitive remark.

“Since Nike has decided to align itself with those who profess hatred of America, it’s incumbent upon our university to sever any ties to that company just as you did with Papa John’s,” Hayes wrote. “Failure to do so is a clear admission that the University of Kentucky agrees with those individuals and companies that spew hatred of the United States of America.”

Some people have a lot of time on their hands.

[USA Today]

[mobile_ad]

114 Comments for Kentucky fan threatens to “divorce” program over Colin Kaepernick ad

1. dylangeorge7988
    9:39 am October 4, 2018 Permalink

BYE BYE!!!!

• UK Fan In Nashville
      10:17 am October 4, 2018 Permalink

My goodness, some people are idiots. The only reason you would be mad is if you don’t understand race issues. I don’t want to call someone a racist, but these people are definitely insensitive to the problems of people of color. People who claim Kaep hates America have obviously never stopped to listen to what he has to say. And it’s really hard to see someone’s point when you come from a place of privilege. Please, leave our fanbase and never send another email that spews ignorance again. We do not need to look even more stupid than the rest of America already thinks we are. “dylangeorge7988” this is directed at the people in the article, not you. I could not get to the comments box because every time I scroll to it 6 more ads pop up. Some kind of glitch I hope KSR is looking into. Schweinhart and Hayes, if you have any UK gear in XL I’d gladly take it off your hands. Peace.

• big cat
      10:45 am October 4, 2018 Permalink

Let’s call it what it is……EXTREME LIBERALISM….hope Keapernick saves his money from Nike. Let’s see….he’s playing where now? Oh yeah….I remember now. He’s unemployed. Nike may never go bankrupt but they sure took a big hit. Great job, KSR! Keep stirring the pot. We love to mix sports and politics. As a US ARMY veteran, my thought is that most folks truly do not understand the sacrifices made by those that have served so we can live in a free society. Kaepernick has the freedom to “say” what he feels, but he should not have the freedom to “act” they way he wants by disrespecting the flag and what it represents. TOTAL DISGRACE!

• Cattington
      11:20 am October 4, 2018 Permalink

You know, you keep using words I don’t think you know the meaning of.

• Memphis UK Cat
      12:51 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

Mad respect to you and I am boycotting Nike. I have not forgotten his disrespect. It is the wrong venue Kap chose and Nike will not get my support.

There are other ways and means to discuss race but not our flag.

• Soylentbeans
      2:55 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

Nike stock rises to all time high…man they took a big hit o that kaep ad.

• timbo
      3:03 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

Soylentbeans: I don’t necessarily agree with either side of this argument, they both are wrong to some degree. But market capitalization is essentially what a buyer would pay to purchase a publicly traded company. Nike lost $3.5Bil IN ONE DAY. Again, I don’t agree or disagree with the driver behind that sentiment and Nike may have already recovered most of the lost…but they lost a TON of money over it initially. Time value of $3.5 billion even for a few days means it cost them more than that.

• iCalledBank
      10:49 am October 4, 2018 Permalink

While I agree with the majority of the above statement, Kaep comes from a place of privilege… dude was adopted to the whitest, blondest family in America

• theWilkman
      10:51 am October 4, 2018 Permalink

By what measure did Nike take a big hit? If you’re going to use their stock price as an example, you are a bigger idiot than your post suggests.

• timbo
      3:04 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

See my post above

• blackmilk23
      11:58 am October 4, 2018 Permalink

That’s the same flag and song the United States had for 200 years of slavery and Jim Crow. It’s cool that the anthem represents “freedom” and “rights” to you… but I feel like it’s completely understandable that it wouldn’t necessarily represent that to other people.

I don’t see the big deal.

• southern thunder
      12:14 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

Luckily the rest of the state isn’t as ignorant as some in this comment section. It’s the reason Kentucky has voted red for the last two decades. If someone can please use statistics to back up their claims of police racism or systemic racism feel free but until then STFU and just enjoy football. Take your alt left politics someone where else because the common Wealth is red and full of Patriots baby! Kaepernick played all the libtards in thid country and has made a killing doing so. KSR already learned this, they took down their weekly progressive politics awhile ago because it was bad for business.

• tofreedom
      12:16 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

Bank just because he’s adopted to a white family doesn’t mean he still isn’t a black man in america

• UK Fan In Nashville
      1:13 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

God, some people just assume because you have a stance on a subject you must be a part of one political wing or the other. I was a registered Republican for 10 years before the party I trusted in elected Trump as its nominee for President. I’m an Independent now. If that makes me a “libtard” as you so eloquently put it, I guess I should take that as a compliment. I’m not a bigotted, mindless, Fox News, Rush Limbaugh troll. So I’ll take libtard over that.

• antiquefurnitureandmidgets
      2:29 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

“Kaepernick has the freedom to “say” what he feels, but he should not have the freedom to “act” they way he wants by disrespecting the flag and what it represents.”

big cat do you mean he shouldn’t be able to act as he wishes as an NFL player or as an American?

• crazycatfan65
      2:50 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

Uk Fan in Nashville, in 2016 when Colin started his protesting, police killed 783 people that year with 47% being white Americans and 24% being black American. Also that same year, police killed 43 unarmed people with 20 being white Americans and 16 being black Americans. You can name all of those unarmed blacks killed by police because of the never ending news coverage but how many of those 20 whites killed can you name? You cant because the liberal media only reported on 1 of those and that was the lady from Australia killed in Minnesota. Where is the racial justice e for those whites? What about 1July 4th 2017, the anti America Colin tweeted out his hatred for this country while wearing a Fidel Castro shirt. A man who oppressed man killed more black and brown people in recent history. Google Roland Fryer, he is a black Harvard professor who released a study that proves police are not killing blacks at a higher rate than whites. According to the FBI and DOJ, 33& of ALL crimes committed in this country are committed by OKLY 3% of the country’s population, blacks from the ages of 16 and 36. Why do blacks glorify thugs and gangsters? Why do they have such a hard time obeying law enforcement?

2. lexcatfan2367
    9:42 am October 4, 2018 Permalink

Good riddance!

3. BlueFrank
    9:43 am October 4, 2018 Permalink

While I HATE the Nike ad, I still bought a new Nike hat.

• UKPROF
      3:35 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

Wrong for buying it and you should be too embarrassed to wear it, you are an American, right?

4. Mathlete
    9:49 am October 4, 2018 Permalink

Why do people care so much what one guy in a commercial thinks? Does it in any way affect their life?
    Do they even understand what he’s trying to say or why he’s saying it?

• Han
      11:38 am October 4, 2018 Permalink

No, they don’t understand because they believed Fox News when that propaganda station told them it’s a protest against the troops. SUPPORT THE TROOPS, FIGHT THE FILTHY FREEDOM-HATING LIBERALS and all that. As if the flag is a symbol of the military. Which it’s not, and it would be frightening if it became such.

The vast majority of those attacking Kap and Nike don’t even know that he began kneeling after a veteran recommended he do that.

• unbridled
      1:16 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

Hey Han….colon kepernik is a racist communist. That’s it and that’s all. When he began his childish temper tantrum, the media asked what he was protesting. He had no answer whatsoever. The guy is a moron and the communist left quickly flew to his defense. You communists are devoid of facts and logic.

• Mathlete
      1:47 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

@Unbridled – you might need to put your bridle back in… CK had an answer. A very blunt, direct answer.

“I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of colour,” Kaepernick said in a press conference after first sitting out during the anthem. “To me, this is bigger than football, and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.”

• unbridled
      3:37 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

Mathlete….again, you have clearly out kicked your coverage. Colon first disgraced himself on August 14, 2017. He didn’t make the comment you quoted until August 26. The media created his narrative for him and he ran with it. Sorry but you might want to do some research prior to just espousing nonsense.

5. macattack
    9:50 am October 4, 2018 Permalink

Dont let the door hit you where the good lord split you…

6. RackEmWillie
    9:52 am October 4, 2018 Permalink

If that guy is getting rid of 3/4 of his wardrobe, is he donating it to local shelters or a veterans organization? Just asking.

Also, if he has one of those 1/4 zip short sleeve pullovers, like Stoops and Co. wear on the sidelines, I’ll gladly take it off his hands. I can’t find one anywhere.

7. Stump
    9:54 am October 4, 2018 Permalink

U of K?

8. Parker_UKFanNC
    10:07 am October 4, 2018 Permalink

Nothing wrong with his message people just have issue with his method which took the attention away from the message he wanted to send. If he had protested at any other time of the week it wouldn’t be a major issue.

• Booby Petrino
      10:10 am October 4, 2018 Permalink

oh there was a lot wrong with his message, but to each their own.

• UK Fan In Nashville
      10:26 am October 4, 2018 Permalink

Really Booby Petrino? Please tell me exactly what his message is. And break down everything that is objectively wrong with it. Quotes would be nice.

• Mathlete
      10:45 am October 4, 2018 Permalink

Don’t listen to what the political ideologues are telling you, read what CK actually said himself. When you filter it through the people with an agenda, you just get their agenda. Here, at least this source is from a British news outlet so neither Republicans or Democrats can say it’s biased toward the other side:

If you know anything at all about history, you know that people of color have been treated so poorly by America that it’s amazing all with the means to do so haven’t already left. Between slavery, Jim Crow laws, redlining by HUD, persistent police brutality, and countless other violations of basic rights as citizens and human beings, there *should* have been an uprising somewhere.

• Booby Petrino
      10:46 am October 4, 2018 Permalink

Nashville, I owe you nothing. But by reading your other comments I think we are talking about different people. My comment was about the email, I thought that’s who Parker was talking about. Perhaps Parker was talking about Kap, and in that case I don’t have a problem w the kneeling. I do have a problem w the pig socks he wore, and the fact that he sucks at football but is acting like no one wants him just bc of his protest. Kap is a douche, but I don’t have a prob w kneeling.

• Parker_UKFanNC
      11:08 am October 4, 2018 Permalink

I was referring to also kneeling because it took away from his message. The pig socks were definitely not ok but what he was originally trying to say wasn’t wrong I just feel like there are better ways to protest it instead of doing it during the time that honors the men and women who fought to give you the right to protest.

• unbridled
      1:18 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

Has this idiot colon ever said what his moronic message actually is….or did the communists and their media brethren define it for him?

• unbridled
      5:03 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

Mathlete, all the social evils that you listed were brought to you by the democrat party. The same party that upholds social justice and communism….you know, what colon is advocating for.

9. ClutchCargo
    10:09 am October 4, 2018 Permalink

I tend to watch games on DVR with a several minute delay to allow fast forwarding through commercials. I have learned how to ignore stuff I don’t want to see.

10. Realme
    10:10 am October 4, 2018 Permalink

People sure are weird about what change they personally expect to see.

Reasonable: sending back your hamburger because they overcooked it.

Unreasonable: asking an entire university athletics program to void their tens of millions of dollar contracts because you don’t like a commercial.

11. bluecat15
    10:20 am October 4, 2018 Permalink

Already stopped buying Nike, that is my individual choice. Go CATS!!!!

• UK Fan In Nashville
      10:27 am October 4, 2018 Permalink

I hope it wasn’t over this commercial.

• Mathlete
      10:47 am October 4, 2018 Permalink

Honestly, the child labor thing should’ve been enough. But now that they have a black guy with an opinion in their commercials it’s time to burn your gear?

• unbridled
      1:21 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

….a black guy who is a communist and a racist. Don’t let facts get in your way though.

• Mathlete
      1:55 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

@Unbridled – seriously… “don’t let facts get in your way though”?? I honestly can’t help but laugh at you. Have you actually done some homework on this subject, or are you just barfing back up what Fox News, Breitbart, and Drudge are feeding you?

A) His stance has nothing to do with communism. Literally nothing. In fact, “communism” has become a buzz word far-right bloviators use to scare people who don’t know what it actually is. Hint: it’s not a synonym for “librul.”

B) He’s protesting the institutional racism in this country, the existence of said racism is incontrovertible to anyone who has ever managed to look at a history book past its cover. Colonial Europeans (and in many cases modern Europeans) have been consistently inhumanely awful to non-white people worldwide for centuries.

• unbridled
      3:29 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

Mathelete, you clearly don’t understand what you are saying. In today’s political climate…yes “liberal” and “communist” are one and the same. Look at the Democratic Party? They are racing each other to see who can cater to and placate the communist useful idiots the fastest. If you think colon is protest “institutional racism” you clearly haven’t done your home work. Well, for starters, institutional racism does not exist. Secondly, colon is a child who failed to understand that he does not have the talent to play in the nfl. He is lashing out at any means of authority and “protesting” the founding principles of this free nation. Good for him, but it doesn’t change the fact that he is embarrassingly stupid, as are those that naively defend him.

• unbridled
      3:40 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

*democrat party. Not democratic. Big difference.

12. CombatMedic_98
    10:20 am October 4, 2018 Permalink

Weather we stand for the flag or kneel to pray…he did neither! They were protesting at his job of employment on National TV that improved NOTHING or CHANGED anything. Today’s issue in society is no one has respect for authority. EVERYONE IS IN CHARGE and “I” am more important because of what I think, say, believe…absolute ANARCHY!

• UK Fan In Nashville
      10:33 am October 4, 2018 Permalink

Wow! You really think it did nothing? Everyone who has eyeballs saw what was happening. It created conversations all across the country. Police officers have begun all kinds of racial sensitivity training, and community events where they meet with people of color to understand each other better. There are entire NFL football teams that during their bye weeks will team up with police officers and go into the inner city and bridge gaps that seemed unbridgeable. You need to get your head out of your “area that I can’t say on here” if you think nothing has changed. 2

• CombatMedic_98
      2:24 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

EXACTLY…

• Booby Petrino
      10:50 am October 4, 2018 Permalink

lol not much has changed. The convos are more about the flag than they are about race issues.

• ClutchCargo
      12:03 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

Newsflash: those gap bridging activities are more about damage control and pacifying NFL viewers than anything positive that Kaepernick did. What was stopping NFL teams from doing that before all of this? Community policing has been a thing for a lot of years now.

13. david8577
    10:26 am October 4, 2018 Permalink

WAY too many people in this country, regardless of political affiliation, have their underwear twisted up all day long. Quit your f-ing crying and just treat each other with respect.

14. Wade
    10:36 am October 4, 2018 Permalink

Don’t align us with that bs. That’s a nfl and Nike thing. this is uk and just make my sportswear and we’ll do the rest kinda thing. Don’t want to buy Nike shit neither but I’m buying uk which I support and there’s other small brands that make gear. Buy that. Kaep and uk have nothing in common and he won’t be on our campus. We stand for the anthem and the blue and white and each other. Let’s keep it that way. Cal teaches these young men right so don’t worry. And if you would even threaten to be a cards fan you are messed up.

• chardun20
      1:52 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

I respect what you are saying, but speak for yourself. I stand for the National Anthem only because I done so my entire life. Don’t really pay that much attention to it.

15. shepdog3720
    10:50 am October 4, 2018 Permalink

There is plenty of gear out there not made by Nike, so if you have a problem, don’t purchase the Nike gear. But to threaten your allegiance to the university, get the F out of here!

16. UKfanforlife
    10:51 am October 4, 2018 Permalink

Kap is a cop hater. Nike endorsing a cop hater is not a good deal for their stock holders. Any institution that backs Nike, backs a cop hater.

As liberal as Matt Jones is, it does not surprise me in the least that this site’s position is to back Kap, Nike, and anyone else who hates law enforcement and is unpatriotic..

• Han
      11:41 am October 4, 2018 Permalink

Having a problem with law enforcement is unpatriotic? Or are you saying you can’t be a patriot if you don’t stand for the flag? You know, the flag that represents American freedom from oppressive government.

• UKNUTZ
      1:44 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

The People who wear the flag the most, wake up in the morning and salute the flag, fight for the flag, use the flag as their symbol are the military. Police don’t represent the flag. That’s nonsense. The armed forces in America represent and take pride in our flag. Kneeling to the flag is very very unpatriotic

• unbridled
      5:04 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

Ham, being a communistlike colon is unpatriotic

• Wade
      11:03 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

He hates voting too…

• UKSeabee
      1:50 pm October 5, 2018 Permalink

I don’t get where people keep getting their military is insulted aan it unpatriotic. I served for almost 15 years and belong to several veterans organizations and it is not a big issue. Yes there are some that let the political affiliations fuel the anger but the flag doesn’t belong to us military active/veterans more anyone else in this country. It seems to me that there are way more citizens that didn’t serve that are angry over this issue.

17. BTownUKFan
    10:52 am October 4, 2018 Permalink

I find it extremely hypocritical for fans to cheer on black athletes playing for their school but hate a black man for taking a stand against the murdering of his brothers. If you think he hates America or is disrespecting the flag you don’t understand his issue. Should your racism become more popular you will stop getting the black athletes to come to your school, are you OK with that? Where would Kentucky sports be without the black athletes? As far as I’m concerned this racist POS can take his ‘loyalty’ to UL and adidas where they pay athletes to go to certain schools. Nothing wrong with that.
    GO CATS !!

• ukcamel
      12:00 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

Kaepernick has his right to express himself and everyone has their right to agree or disagree. I personally disagree with both his method of protest and the underlying argument (not that it’s totally without merit, but the issue is mischaracterized and sensationalized).

All that said, suggesting, as you did, that all black people or all black athletes are a monolith, is actually quite racist. Many black folks agree with Kaepernick, many don’t, many have conflicting views and many don’t care. No one needs you trying to infantalize and speak for an entire race. Check yourself.

• Luether
      12:23 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

“Taking a stand against the murdering of his brothers” – better make that “holding criminals accountable”…

• chardun20
      1:57 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

So the death penalty for traffic violation is ok? Just because a cop kill or abuse someone doesn’t make the cop right all the times.

• BTownUKFan
      12:30 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

You missed the point of my comment, get your dictionary back out and reread it.

18. UKfanforlife
    10:54 am October 4, 2018 Permalink

Nike isn’t the only company that has gone political and it hurt their bottom line. Dicks sporting goods sells hunting rifles and hired an anti gun lobbyist. They lost a ton of sales. No big deal? It is to those who hold stock in the company. Companies should stay out of politics. Those CEOs should be fired.

19. Han
    11:31 am October 4, 2018 Permalink

The number of idiots in this country (and this state as evidenced by comments here) who bought the lie that it was a protest against the military or unpatriotic is extremely unsettling. Keep on getting upset at people who aren’t hurting you (those protesting) while robber barons take more and more of your money. It’s exactly what they want.

• UKfanforlife
      11:37 am October 4, 2018 Permalink

Taking a knee during the National Anthem is not only unpatriotic, but it is insulting to those who have served in the military.

I am not against anyone voicing their political opinions. But, when you work for a company, you should do your political beliefs on your own time.

The kneeling has hurt the NFL. Ratings are down, because of the kneeling and the week owners letting the tail wag the dog.

Anyone who thinks it is cool to be unpatriotic is the real idiot.

• Han
      11:47 am October 4, 2018 Permalink

People in the military did not risk their lives for the flag. They did it for what the flag represents. And Kap believes that minorities, specifically African Americans, are being mistreated in the country. So he chooses to bring attention to this by kneeling to the flag. Kneeling is still a sign of respect, and kneeling was suggested to him by a veteran, one of those people he’s supposedly disrespecting.

Blind patriotism and pointless flag waving allows politicians to carry out unjust wars and oppress people. You can still love your country and want it to change. I mean, if not, isn’t the right’s push to Make America Great Again disrespectful? Are they saying it isn’t great?

Protest is the greatest tool of the oppressed in America, and it played a huge role in civil rights. And if you’re going to complain about someone protesting at their place of business, you should also complain about political displays being forced on them at their place of business. Same as there shouldn’t be prayers at a place of business. Separation of church and state on that one. What does football have to do with being patriotic anyway? National/Olympic games, ok, anthem makes sense. But doing it before every sports game does not make sense and doesn’t somehow glorify the nation and what it stands for. It politicizes the anthem and flag to try to use them to push nationalism.

• oruacat2
      11:55 am October 4, 2018 Permalink

I served in the military and I’m not insulted by it, so stop acting like you speak for all veterans.
      The only idiots are those who place the symbols and songs of this country above its Constitution.

• UKNUTZ
      1:35 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

Kneeling to the flag is F’d up. The same flag that I’ve saluted since I was in diapers, a flag I committed myself to defending when I swore in to the US Army which was in front of that flag, and it’s the same flag that me and my brothers in the Army fought for and put our lives on the line for in battle to defend that flag and everything it stood for. Kneeling to the flag is like spitting in my face. A total disrespect of all the men and women that are currently serving and disrespect to all men and women that have fought and died for their country in the past 200+ yeas Don’t tell me the flag represents police brutality. That’s garbage. And anyone who supports disrespecting the flag is garbage and should be thrown out of the country if they hate it here so much

• UKNUTZ
      1:38 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

I’m a Veteran and I’ve talked to at least 20 other Veterans at the VA, some old some younger, white and black and evreryone of us took it as total disrespect.

• Mathlete
      1:58 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

@UKN – I’m guessing all of them are somewhere right-of-center politically? Veterans actually span most of the political spectrum from left to right so you might want to expand your sample size.

• UKNUTZ
      2:29 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

Actually a 1/3 of them are black and open Democrats and yet they still believe it was total disrespect and think it belittles what they did for this country. I think all of us agree he has the right to protest black cruelty and injustices from the police. But to do so by kneeling to the flag is the wrong place and the wrong time to get his message out. Shows way more disrespect to the military and all the people who fought and died for this country than it does to police

• blackmilk23
      3:15 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

UKNUTZ,

That’s the same flag they had for 200 years of slavery and Jim Crow. The same song too.

On July 4th, 1776, the colonies declared their freedom from Britain. But many Founding Fathers were still arguing in favor of slavery… And the Civil Rights act didn’t come to almost 200 years later.

It makes sense that you would feel that passionately about the flag… It also makes sense that other people wouldn’t. It might represent freedom, rights and the military to you. But understandably it doesn’t to others.

• oruacat2
      3:24 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

UKNUTZ – you can complain about the “disrespect” all you want, but when you enlisted you swore an oath to defend the Constitution, which includes the 1st Amendment – NOT the flag, or the anthem, or the Pledge, or any of the symbols of this country. When you intentionally ignore that fact, it’s YOU who are showing disrespect for the military and all who fought and died for this country.

• UKSeabee
      1:57 pm October 5, 2018 Permalink

UKfanforlife: I served for 15 years and fought in Somalia, Kosovo & Iraq. I have no issue with it. I guess I’ll have to be an idiot. Thank God you were here to set me straight.

• UKNUTZ
      8:31 pm October 5, 2018 Permalink

I’m not saying they don’t have the right to take a knee. They absolutely have that right. But if ur gonna protest against the flag and the national anthem, don’t pretend it’s against police violence. Pick a different symbol to disrespect. None of those rich entitled athletes ever lived through slavery or Jim Crow so don’t even bring that crap up. It’s politically driven from the far left that want to tear this country and all its values apart. I never said he didn’t have a right to act like an idiot and disrespect the flag, but I can’t pretend it’s something it’s not.

20. Kat4Life
    11:49 am October 4, 2018 Permalink

The political wisdom on this thread is inspirational, my only regret is that fate placed these great minds in today’s time and place rather than allowing them to be available to Washington and Jefferson when our nation was formed.

21. davis2319
    12:01 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

I am a conservative, white male and I still think that police brutality is an issue in this country. I don’t think it is specifically toward one race either. I do think there are good cops out there and I am thankful for their service. However, there are the not so good ones that I am concerned about. I just wish everyone could get along!

• davis2319
      12:09 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

And I’m also not abandoning Nike or burning my Nike apparel. I have invested too much money into it hahaha

• Mathlete
      1:59 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

Police brutality is not exclusive to one race or another, but it’s unquestionably disproportionately directed at people of color

• ukisgr8
      2:57 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

It is true it is as stats show disproportionate towards whites. And i support that. If anyone, no matter race disobeys a lawful order, beat the hell out of them. This whole wussy “respect criminals” stuff is new. Back in my day this was and rightfully so imo unquestioned. Now with the entitled elements, its anti cops, anti this and that, hell, anti jobs, just let the government send me a monthly paycheck. Policemen are human. They have families they want to go home to. So when an unruly person comes at them or disobeys orders, they have no choice but to use force. To the guy who said he was a vet and supports kap, i call BS. No one willing to die for that flag like myself or anyone else thinks disrespecting that flag and anthem is appropriate. There are 10,078 other minutes in the week to protest

• UKSeabee
      2:03 pm October 5, 2018 Permalink

uksigr8: You can call BS all you want but there are many active/veterans that have come public and disputed what you’ve stated. Now get off my grass.

22. sincitycat
    12:02 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

As a veteran I have never been offended by CK taking a knee. He is protesting social injustice and I support him.

• ukisgr8
      2:57 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

Sure

23. MadHatter
    12:13 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

Were clicks down that much to air this crap? With recent successes, I figured traffic would be pretty high. Oh well, whatever makes more money. I don’t blame y’all for that. I’ll help by clicking and commenting lol. For real though, Kaepernick couldn’t throw a ball in the ocean from the beach. After defenses adapted to the zone read, his services were no longer needed. He’s not good enough of a QB to play in the NFL anymore.

• oruacat2
      12:39 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

I agree with this 100%. I respect his protests, but he’s a shitty QB and I wouldn’t want him on my team for that reason alone.

24. drbigblue
    12:25 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

Wow, enough of ‘this topic. Bummed out just seeing his pic on the KSR app. is a bummer.
    So what if the fan wants to jump ship.

25. Mike Honcho
    1:13 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

All’s I no is Donald J Trump don’t like him and he’s a biblical man who lives in the Lords name and would never ever preach injustice, sexually assault women, steal from the poor, mock the disabled, separate innocent children from there parents, threaten nuculear holocost on innocent North Korean lives or ban people from entering the land of the free based on there religion. No no no not MY President. Not this man of God!

26. AndTheDevil
    1:36 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, it’s definitely hurt Nike’s profit. I mean their sales only increased 31% after the ad began to run. http://time.com/5390884/nike-sales-go-up-kaepernick-ad/

27. ukisgr8
    2:02 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

As a veteran i agree 100% with their sentiment. Cheering for UL, not an option though. That’s crazy talk

28. BBNParkerCO
    2:32 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

It is you American right to appose NIKE for their ads and it is their right to support Kap for his stance on racial inequality and police brutality. Those of you that appose NIKE, need to educate yourselves about the cause. It is not unAmerian, it is standing up for the rights of all Americans and why this country was founded. I think the NIKE adds are great and am quite proud that UK is a NIKE school. As a former athlete and UK graduate I totally support NIKE and their support of the cause. Go support another school and continue to foster oppression and bigotry.

29. rickwhitetx
    2:47 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

I hate to sound like the old fart that I am … but … a lot of the commenters don’t know what racial inequality and police brutality is. When’s the last time you saw a cross burning in someone’s yard? What does the number 311 mean to you? Ever heard of Lester Maddox? Democratic governor of Georgia from 1967 to 1971. Look him up. Look up pickrick drumstick.

Can things get better? Yeah, probably. Are they horrible? Absolutely not!

30. oruacat2
    3:30 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

“I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.” (Title 10, US Code; Act of 5 May 1960 replacing the wording first adopted in 1789, with amendment effective 5 October 1962).

Does anyone, veteran or not, see any mention of the flag, the anthem, the Pledge, or any of our nation’s symbols?

• Nope, but he has also worn a Castro t shirt. Castro is a communist and a sworn enemy of the US, and he would just as soon cut Kap’s throat as look at him. That gives you some idea of his intelligence level, as well as his politics.

31. UKPROF
    3:41 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

A black man, protesting America while he is playing in the NFL. He should be sent to live on a deserted island, alone, for 5 years. And I bet when he comes back (if he lives through it) he will be VERY happy to live in American and play in the NFL. No kneeling and no protesting…wanna bet!?

32. You Can Call Me Cal
    4:24 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

Great click bait Mrs TT. Make mine the 94th comment

33. katfan33
    6:28 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

I’ll continue to support UK, Nike and Kaepernick!!

34. hay22cats
    6:52 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

Why are you putting a story about him up. This is what he wants! Attention, and your giving it to him!

35. Kat4Life
    10:41 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

And extremely volatile and divisive topic

36. Racerr11
    6:16 am October 5, 2018 Permalink

Never been a Nike fan but definitely will not buy there products now. If that has to be explained to anyone as to why that’s your problem.

37. Corsosucks
    9:37 am October 5, 2018 Permalink

This is all designed to divide us, while we’re making this so important more sinister business is being conducted behind the curtain. This is nothing more than distraction.

38. Corsosucks
    9:38 am October 5, 2018 Permalink

The United States is a corporation/business, totally different for The United States of America, do some damned research people. It makes no difference whether you vote Democrat or Republican, it’s all designed to make us believe we have a choice, the agenda is all the same in the long run.

39. Corsosucks
    9:39 am October 5, 2018 Permalink

Look into the five g smart grid, that no one is talking about.

40. Corsosucks
    9:39 am October 5, 2018 Permalink

41. Corsosucks
    9:40 am October 5, 2018 Permalink

Sorry I had to change my post to avoid the modbot

42. millertime98
    10:24 am October 5, 2018 Permalink

anyone that has a problem with the Kap (and subsequent protests) just be sure you walk around each game you attend and chastise all those that wear hats, talk, don’t cover their heart, etc as hard and with as much vitriol as you do him. Good luck.

43. Ninjashock
    1:30 pm October 5, 2018 Permalink

Well this is a nice discussion thread to make our fanbase look like a bunch of morons.