Kennedy’s Bookstore is officially gone (R.I.P.)

The corner of South Limestone and Winslow, where Kennedy’s Bookstore stood for almost 70 years, is now a big pile of rubble.

A demolition crew flattened the building once known as Kennedy’s, a Lexington staple near UK’s campus since 1950, earlier this week. The bookstore closed its doors for the final time in 2017. A fancy new parking garage will soon take its place.

This is a sad sight for UK grads like myself:

Article written by Drew Franklin

19 Comments for Kennedy’s Bookstore is officially gone (R.I.P.)

1. Mathlete
    10:45 pm April 9, 2019 Permalink

70 years is a helluva run compared to the restaurant across the street that changes every 7 months

2. JATR4
    10:48 pm April 9, 2019 Permalink

Sometime in the late 40s or early 50s my Dad and I were in Lexington and we stopped for gas at what became the Kennedy Bookstore. We lived in Stearns and were filling up for the trip home. Dad introduced me to the largest two people I had ever met who happened to be at the station. Those “giants” were Bob Gain and Bill Spivey. I was only 9 or 10 so details are sketchyat best.

3. Matty Arbuckle
    11:17 pm April 9, 2019 Permalink

Good story ?

4. BigTimeOwen
    1:43 am April 10, 2019 Permalink

Good riddance. College bookstores/textbooks are one of absurd and egregious offenses against education. Kennedy was an awful place we had to deal with and spend far too much money at as students, nothing more. Maybe it was different in the past but I certainly won’t shed any tears over it.

• Based God
      7:11 am April 10, 2019 Permalink

Agreed.

• UK Fan In Nashville
      10:26 am April 10, 2019 Permalink

Thank you Owen! My thoughts exactly!

5. Ridge Runner
    1:59 am April 10, 2019 Permalink

Yes, sad to see a landmark and memories go by for sure Drew.

6. Bigsmooth88
    6:28 am April 10, 2019 Permalink

My wife was working there when we met.

• IndianaSucks
      3:42 pm April 10, 2019 Permalink

Since we’re sharing stories… in the late 2000’s I walked in to Kennedy’s and spent several hundred dollars on books that I barely touched that semester. I felt violated but I kept going back for more. I had to sit on a donut for 4 years until the pain finally stopped after I walked across that stage and received that shiny piece of paper.

• IndianaSucks
      3:57 pm April 10, 2019 Permalink

This wasn’t meant to be a response

7. DavidP19
    7:31 am April 10, 2019 Permalink

In the summer of 1967, on vacation from Toledo with my parents, we stopped at Kennedy’s. That day evolved into continuing decades of BB fanaticism. The biggest impression of that day was the black & white framed lithograph of Rupp’s Runts, that originally hung over the register at the foot of the stairs. I will miss the place and its back parking lot, that I would abuse for trips across the street to the UK bookstore, Memorial Coliseum and the Basketball offices. Gone but never forgotten !

8. Sentient Third Eye
    8:10 am April 10, 2019 Permalink

I got a lot of UK gear from there back in the day. First one was a t-shirt that said “First there was Superman…Then came Batman…Now we have CHAPMAN!”

• runningunnin.454
      8:19 am April 10, 2019 Permalink

Bought my first Eagles album there (Eagles), and my 2nd Eagles album (Desperado).

9. UK Fan In Nashville
    10:25 am April 10, 2019 Permalink

They tried to give me $3 for a $350 text book once.

10. michaelb
    11:54 am April 10, 2019 Permalink

That’s a shocking sight, I lived right across the street my fresh yr. @ Holmes Hall . Tolly ho represent