On Monday night, John Calipari announced on his weekly call-in show that he was still looking for a “couple of kids” to finish out Kentucky’s class of 2018.

The key prospect on Coach Cal’s wish list: five-star power forward EJ Montgomery.

Montgomery is currently listed as the No. 11 overall recruit in Rivals’ rating system. 247 Sports lists him at No. 12 and ESPN has him at No. 16.

Despite holding offers from nearly 20 programs, most analysts believe Montgomery’s recruitment will come down to either Kentucky, Duke, or UNC.

If you ask Kentucky signee Keldon Johnson, the Cats are the runaway favorite to land the 6-foot-11 power forward.

“He’s keeping it close, but I think he’s going to come to Kentucky,” Johnson told Ben Roberts of the Lexington Herald-Leader. “So Big Blue Nation better get ready. I think he’s going to come.

Johnson told Roberts this week at the McDonald’s All-American events in Atlanta, GA that he has been recruiting Montgomery “pretty hard” in their time together at the prestigious high school All-Star game.

“We would love to have him,” he told Roberts.

Six of the interviewed prospects at the McDonald’s game predicted Montgomery to Kentucky, including Duke signee Tre Jones and Kansas commitments Devon Dotson and Quentin Grimes.

“I was hoping Duke but maybe Kentucky. I’m not sure. I don’t know. I haven’t heard anything and he hasn’t given any hints either,” Tre Jones told Woody Wommack of Rivals.com.

KSR’s Nick Roush was at the McDonald’s game this past week where he got the chance to interview Montgomery and break down his recruitment. He said he has a great relationship with the Kentucky coaching staff, he loved his visit to Lexington, and UK was one of his top schools.

Check it out:

Here is Montgomery’s most recent highlight tape:

Come on down, big fella.

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

18 Comments for Keldon Johnson: “Big Blue Nation better get ready. I think (EJ Montgomery) is going to come.”

1. Cmart0907
    8:36 pm March 30, 2018 Permalink

Cal will find a way to screw it up again. And then blame himself.

2. abevh5
    8:45 pm March 30, 2018 Permalink

It’s not cal it’s the duffle bag drops lol^

3. BBNDan7
    9:05 pm March 30, 2018 Permalink

Dear KSR. Please start removing these dumb comments

4. Jiminy Crickets
    9:07 pm March 30, 2018 Permalink

Didn’t Quickley pretty much say the same thing about Zion? “Big news coming soon” from his best friend.

5. jahanc2uky
    10:12 pm March 30, 2018 Permalink

Green, Knox, Baker, Hero, Quickley, Johnson, SKJ, Richards, Washington, Vandy, Montgomery, Wiseman, & GA pg…. Isnt that too many scholarship players?

• a21CATSfan
      10:38 pm March 30, 2018 Permalink

Nope. That’s 13 and that would be awesome! Even if Wenyen stays and Wiseman doesn’t reclassify.

• Ben27
      10:41 pm March 30, 2018 Permalink

Sounds like 13 to me! Can you not count?

6. Megan
    11:08 pm March 30, 2018 Permalink

Doesn’t sound like Keldon knows anything.

7. trumpetguy
    11:40 pm March 30, 2018 Permalink

Everybody looks at prospects differently. Some are awed by powerful dunkers (Zion), others enamored with quickness (Fox), some physical stature (Bam) etc. Thing about this kid that catches my eye is his confidence and ability to use his off hand (right) with jump hooks, etc., in traffic. We’ve all seen players who will shoot a jump hook with their off hand and never draw iron from within 4-6 feet. This kids footwork and ball skills look like he has worked on them diligently! He looks like a legitimate offensive threat a team can run some offense through.

8. KentuckyVSEveryone
    3:52 am March 31, 2018 Permalink

He is a must get in my eyes. After watching this young man play, he we would be a HUGE addition to round out our class. It would be nice to have a big man with great hands and really good foot work. Not to mention he has a consistent 15’-17’ jumper with even further range. And he is a very underrated defender. I know all this guys want to go places where they can shine and be “the man”…I just hope he realizes how big of a role he could have at Kentucky. Plus he’d be banging with future pros EVERY DAY in practice. BBN would love to have you EJ