Justin Rogers is not done with official visits

@AllAmerican52JR

@AllAmerican52JR

The recruitment of Kentucky’s five-star commitment from Detroit, Michigan did not end when he put on a UK hat at a highly publicized ceremony.

Justin Rogers committed to UK May 20. Less than two weeks after announcing the decision at Oak Park High School, Rogers says he’ll take one more official visit.

If you like to read into cryptic Tweets from 17-year olds, he said this just 30 minutes before that Tweet.

The tenth-ranked player in the 2020 recruiting class, Rogers has already officially visited Kentucky, Georgia and Tennessee. Recruits can take up to five official visits. His other finalists were Michigan, LSU and Alabama.

The relationship between Rogers’ mother and Michigan’s coaching staff was not on the best terms two weeks ago. Based on the way Nick Saban reacted when Alabama was left off his list of finalists, I believe this mysterious official visit is to Tuscaloosa.

For those who are surprised by Rogers’ decision to take another official visit, you haven’t been paying attention to football recruiting for long. It’s a long six and a half months until the Early Signing Period. UK will be recruiting him against stout competition until he signs on the dotted line.

UPDATE

You better believe Vince Marrow was prepared to respond.

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

55 Comments for Justin Rogers is not done with official visits

1. TomEcaster
    3:31 pm June 1, 2019 Permalink

This why I don’t really care about football commitments. Totally meaningless until the ink is on the paper

• TonyMontana
      11:09 pm June 1, 2019 Permalink

I dont know about meaningless, it brings great exposure to our program when a big time recruit announces that he is coming to Kentucky. That’s a big deal and can lead to other kids taking a look at UK and of course we rise in the recruiting ranks. This kid and his family seemed quite sincere and all the way blue. Unfortunately the crimson tide is a lure that is hard to ignore. Hopefully he stays on track though.

2. Gus Chiggins
    3:42 pm June 1, 2019 Permalink

No one saw this coming…

3. Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
    3:47 pm June 1, 2019 Permalink

Like I said I wasn’t worried unless he went to visit Saban’s cash locker.

4. gacat123
    3:50 pm June 1, 2019 Permalink

Not good

5. ColoradoCatFan88
    4:01 pm June 1, 2019 Permalink

I just don’t understand why these kids “commit” if they aren’t 100% sure that’s the school they want to attend & the team they want to play for.. makes no sense at all. I’ll be real surprised if he’s in a Kentucky uniform next year..

6. jaws2
    4:03 pm June 1, 2019 Permalink

Stunned I tell you, STUNNED! NOT!!!!
    The word commit means ZERO to these kids; ZEEEERO!!!!

7. ukkatzfan
    4:04 pm June 1, 2019 Permalink

Isnt Mich green, like the check mark ?

8. oruacat2
    4:21 pm June 1, 2019 Permalink

I guess we’ll all have to learn the opposite of “yahtzee!”?

• UKinIN
      5:17 pm June 1, 2019 Permalink

“!EEZTHAY”?

• binarysolo
      5:57 pm June 1, 2019 Permalink

It’s not so much YAHTZEE as it’s more WAIT-N-SEE

• TonyMontana
      11:02 pm June 1, 2019 Permalink

When they decommit, its a scrabble.

9. KatsKlaws
    4:22 pm June 1, 2019 Permalink

I thought Stoops always wanted them to decommit if they were going to continue to take visits. Or is that rule just for the 3 stars and unders

10. jopo53
    4:25 pm June 1, 2019 Permalink

Dude ?

11. mashman 93
    4:31 pm June 1, 2019 Permalink

Football recruiting is a joke. That big production and now he’s taking another visit? Come on man!!!!

12. Catlogic15
    5:02 pm June 1, 2019 Permalink

Kids today. Sheesh.

13. UKinMKY
    5:22 pm June 1, 2019 Permalink

Granted there’s a long time left to go but I think he’d have committed to a big name already if he was going to. Not as if he wasn’t already being recruited heavily by them. Now if that last official is to Alabama ill be really worried.

14. Duuuuuude
    5:22 pm June 1, 2019 Permalink

Eezthay!

15. UKinIN
    5:23 pm June 1, 2019 Permalink

Alabama should pick up part of the UK coaching staff’s salaries because it sure seems like UK is identifying talent for Saban.

• Vyce0789
      5:55 pm June 1, 2019 Permalink

Agreed…and we have been for a while (e.g., , Damien Harris, and Mac Jones was committed to us for almost a whole year until ‘bama called).

16. Teamhhc1
    5:27 pm June 1, 2019 Permalink

He hasn’t taken away his commitment, he is just taking another visit. I would hate for him to read this on KSR and get upset with the negative comments. It would also be a really big win for us if he does take a trip to Alabama and still sticks with the CATS.

17. Headhurts
    5:30 pm June 1, 2019 Permalink

Hope he stays with UK but when it comes to big uglies we’ll be ok

18. Collie
    5:53 pm June 1, 2019 Permalink

I have faith in our recruiters to sign the positions we need, and fight hard till signing day for the ones we must have. But I feel that recruiting for our football team is almost to the point where it can be said as it is in our basketball. “Kentucky is not for everyone.” In either sport at Kentucky you have to have a certain drive to rise above your peers. In basketball you can go anywhere else and be the man, in football you can elsewhere and ride the programs coat tails and hopefully have a chance to shine. We’ll get the players we need, we’ll get the ones who want to work and stand out from the rest. Be paitient BBN. Go Cats!

19. Iamheasyouarehe
    5:56 pm June 1, 2019 Permalink

I see the bad moon a-rising
    I see trouble on the way…

20. sprtphan
    5:57 pm June 1, 2019 Permalink

Well that didn’t take long.

21. binarysolo
    6:02 pm June 1, 2019 Permalink

I’ve learn to ignore 99% of the Yahtzee posts on KSR but this one was just such a low hanging fruit. Did anyone really think a top-10 player would commit to any school this early? Kids even flip from Bama on signing day, people.

22. krautdog
    6:10 pm June 1, 2019 Permalink

Oh no!

23. bigblue98
    6:31 pm June 1, 2019 Permalink

Coach Marrow is awesome. I love the fight. Hopefully Justin becomes a Cat but I trust in coach regardless. I remember sitting down in Florida on 1/1 watching our Citrus Bowl champs. This is a new day in football and kids better jump on the train or they’ll get left behind. Thanks to Coach Marrow, our other coaches, and leaders like Lynn, Kash, and Terry I’m pumped for football. Been waiting for a program like this for 30+ years. Go Big Blue!

24. kydrummer
    6:34 pm June 1, 2019 Permalink

It’s called recruiting, UK does it too. It’s all part of the game.

25. Han
    6:55 pm June 1, 2019 Permalink

Maybe it’s just me, but I feel like you shouldn’t commit if you’re gonna continue to take visits. Football recruiting is just stupid that way.

26. Smyrna_Cat
    7:01 pm June 1, 2019 Permalink

This is what almost all college football recruits do. Seems silly, but nature of the beast, I suppose. Schools steal for us, we steal from other schools.

27. bddfromcincy
    7:03 pm June 1, 2019 Permalink

We have lost some kids after verbally committing and taking other official visits. We have kept the overwhelming majority however. It’s a bidding war unfortunately and these kids know it.

28. goose2
    8:37 pm June 1, 2019 Permalink

Isnt Justin the one that was going to inroll in Jan.

29. gasman01
    9:30 pm June 1, 2019 Permalink

Why not go to Bama before committing to UK. That was total nonsense!!

• mashman 93
      10:28 am June 2, 2019 Permalink

I agree and he has this big elaborate announcement and two weeks later he wants to take another visit? Last week he announced he was enrolling at UK in January. I never get upset when kids do this in football recruiting but this bothers me. I know he’s just a kid. I get it.

30. BLUEVADER
    11:35 pm June 1, 2019 Permalink

What a bunch of BULLSHIT! IS ANYONE TEACHING THESE KIDS TO BE SOLID!! THESE MELINIALS ARE SO FLAKY OR WISH WASHY!! WASN’T IT JUST 3 DAYS AGO HE COMMITTED TO US!?? I mean come here start as true freshman or go to BAMA AND PLAY BEHIND GOD KNOWS HOW MANY 4*-5* JR AND SENIORS?? YEAH HE WILL PLAY PRETTY EARLY AT BAMA BUT HE ISN’T STARTING THERE. HE STARTS DAY ONE AT UK PERIID!!

• mashburnfan1
      11:46 pm June 1, 2019 Permalink

Sorry, did I miss the part that said he is not coming here? Hey it’s a free trip to wherever with great lodging and meals for him and his family. Why not take them, does not mean he is leaving. In fact MOST of our early commits the last 4 to 5 years are in a UK uniform. By most I mean like more than 90%. Again this has happened in football for many years, just not to UK as usually we were the kids best offer. Now this staff finds talent that at some point ALL the big boys want so we will lose some here and there, IS A GREAT PROBLEM TO HAVE. Watch signing day, teams like UGA, Bama, OU and OSU lose guys that day, as well as gain guys that day.

• kydrummer
      8:38 am June 2, 2019 Permalink

Totally agree!

• 4everUKblue
      8:31 am June 2, 2019 Permalink

If only your comments could make sense when you talk about basketball…

• CATandMONKEY
      12:32 pm June 2, 2019 Permalink

It’s literally like two different people.

• runningunnin.454
      2:39 pm June 2, 2019 Permalink

Mash is Jekyll and Hyde. Dr. Jekyll is a UK fan, Mr. Hyde…uuummm.

31. Hancock73
    11:39 pm June 1, 2019 Permalink

It all means nada until that sign. I know they are kids, but this is getting more and more ridiculous. Our staff is unbelievable at finding talent and the “traditional football schools” continue to pick our po let’s and waste the talent just so we don’t get them.

• mashburnfan1
      11:47 pm June 1, 2019 Permalink

Is only new to UK, been happening to better football teams for a long time. Now we are one of those better teams, great problem to have. See post right above this.

32. TheAssman
    1:20 am June 2, 2019 Permalink

I am committing to the University of Kentucky but I will still listen to other coaches pitches and I will look at other schools and visit other schools and if I find a college I like better than UK, I will go there….but I’m committed to the University of Kentucky.

33. notFromhere
    1:49 am June 2, 2019 Permalink

Don’t care who he visits. I care that we’re recruiting at a great level and competing/winning on the field. It’s a journey that I’m going to enjoy rather than worry or fret over like an old hen.

Lets keep the momentum going and find some more good players to bring in. It’ll sort itself out

34. Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
    1:57 am June 2, 2019 Permalink

Kids today are like I’m getting engaged to you but I’m going to continue to bang other chicks till we are officially married to make sure I’m making the right decision. The main reason I got engaged to you is so you’ll quit looking.

35. channell
    9:33 am June 2, 2019 Permalink

It’s nice to have the problem now with other schools wanted your recruits too. Like Yogi said it ain’t over till it’s over. The success of a record season is a good recruiting tool. At least the program is competitive with the power houses in recruiting and they will win some. Some will win and some will lose when they roll the dice. I believe UK needs another good year or two on the field then look out as they add more players to the NFL drafts.

36. Urincatland
    4:07 am June 3, 2019 Permalink

I’d love to know how much those Alabama boosters are paying their kids?!?! Huuuge I would say!

• Urincatland
      4:11 am June 3, 2019 Permalink

And the same for Duke Basketball! I don’t believe for one second Zion went there to play for Duke and Coach K without receiving a huge amount of cash.

37. UKinmyblood
    1:52 pm June 3, 2019 Permalink

I’ll be shocked if this kid ends up in Lexington…..