Julius Randle and James Young’s measurements are in

It’s measurement time at the NBA Draft Combine, and both Julius Randle and James Young’s numbers are in the books. According to Chad Ford, Julius measured 6’9″ in shoes, 6’7.75″ in socks, with a 7’0″ wingspan. He weighed in at 250 pounds with a 8’9.5″ standing reach. James measured 6’7.75″ in shoes, 6’5.25″ in socks, with a 7’0″ wingspan and 8’8″ standing reach.

(Update: Ford’s tweet was incorrect–James actually measured 6’6.75″ with shoes on. Man, Ford really loves James Young, doesn’t he?)

Just about what we thought. However, NBATV might want to double check Julius’ age…

BnpPcEsCYAEbgtl

26 Comments for Julius Randle and James Young’s measurements are in

1. Chad
    12:03 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

Julius Randle is 22??

• JPhelps
      12:28 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

Sure is. Except for the FT that he isn’t!

• JPhelps
      12:29 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

FT=fact**

2. McMatt
    12:08 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

That Randle wingspan looks a lot better than advertised. We all thought his short reach was in the 6’10 range. He clocks in at 7’0. Does this mean he rises above what most believe will be the fifth pick?

• yep
      12:12 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

Exactly what I was going to comment about. I remember the only early knock on him was that his wingspan was the same as his height, which for us is normal, but abnormal for a PF. That makes me happy because I thought about that all year.

• rockatao
      12:26 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

the wingspan is OK but the (more important) standing reach is not impressive at the NBA level

• Cals Cats 3.0 Check us out on Facebook!
      2:39 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

Of course Young makes Randle look bad by having the same wingspan but being a shooting guard. A power forward and a shooting guard with the same wingspan? Doesn’t make the power forward look good…

3. Ff
    12:13 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

James young must have been wearing high heals.

4. chad spalding
    12:36 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

I have always wondered why they would measure the heights with and without shoes. I have never seen an NBA game played without shoes for one thing. Barring that I guess I can understand them measuring for true height, however to post both only allows me to determine the thickness of the players soles.

5. Real talk
    12:42 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

James young almost 6’8 with a 7’0 span that can jump out the gym and can shoot? He’ll be a top 8 pick. I’m calling it

6. James K
    12:49 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

Oh, geez, his age like jumped off the screen at me. I was like ‘TWENTY-TWO?!?!’

7. Rex Who?
    12:59 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

Julius Randle (born November 29, 1994) is an American college basketball player.

8. schwing
    1:01 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

what were their wingspans in socks?

9. Freethrow
    1:06 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

There is a replay of today’s combine on ESPNU at 1am if you missed it. I only saw the last few minutes today so I will be watching if I can catch a nap beforehand.

10. Casper
    1:09 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

What about scrotal length with and without a jock.

11. Tony W.
    1:34 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

That’s crazy that people insist he’s undersized for his position. The NBA is just smaller now, and 6’9″, 250, very athletic, with a 7’0″ wingspan is perfect for what he does, making a living facing up and attacking the paint. He’s basically the size Terrence Jones is, and Jones is doing all right for himself.

12. amirite
    2:10 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

13. Nate Trump
    3:09 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

If we want NBA “owners” to stop acting like slave traders, then this kind of sizing-up of athletes must stop. Unbelievable that these biological measurements are legally permissible for a company that is considering a new hire. No other company gets away with this. Cal is changing the landscape of amateur and professional sports alike, and I’d love for him to influence a generational change with this embarrassment. Am I wrong?

• JBCat
      4:06 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

I think what you’re saying is coming from a good place, and it is respectful sentiment. However given that physical measurables effect the game of basketball so much–the target(rim) is 10 ft above the ground after all–they are always going to be highly scrutinized. Sort of how restaurant managers tend to hire attractive waitresses, construction jobs to stronger tougher types, or car dealerships going for the more outgoing personality types (which is mostly genetic). Physical/inherent traits are a real factor in nearly all workplaces. There isn’t any difference with white, Asian, or Latino players either. They are all measured similarly. I can sort of see the point that people are “bought and sold” like commodities, but these players are paid huge amounts of money. They are not slaves. Nowhere close to being. To me, it’s an insult to black ancestry to hear modern day players make any type of statement likening themselves to slaves or pro sports to slavery.

• The Dude
      4:10 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

You’re wrong, Walter.

14. Mack
    3:22 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

Chad Ford was talking down Randle this afternoon.

15. James Young
    3:50 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

Remember when Matt said “I have stood next to james young and he’s more like 6’4,” Imperically inaccurate….

16. haha
    4:03 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

13 that was sarcasm i’m assuming??? Slave mentality gets so overused…they’re paid

17. The Dude
    4:11 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

I’m white and I wanna be an NBA slave. Then, I can get my rug back.

18. Ron Jeremy
    4:23 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

My measurement is 12 inches. Top that.

19. me
    5:12 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

Undersized for position? That’s horse crap. The boy is a beast. Double double machine! I hope the Celtics take him. But I’m sure they will draft some body from another country who isn’t worth a crap as always.