Photo: Jon Lopez/Nike

Photo: Jon Lopez/Nike

2021 No. 1 prospect Jonathan Kuminga made a new friend at the Champions Classic on Tuesday evening.

As highlighted by A Sea Of Blue’s Big Blue Drew last night, former Kentucky superstar John Wall greeted Kuminga in the stands during the UK’s 69-62 victory over Michigan State.

Aside from the mid-game dap up with Wall, Kuminga – a standout at The Patrick School in New Jersey – was also sitting in the stands near Kahlil Whitney’s family, four-star UK commit Lance Ware, and four-star Kentucky target Cliff Omoruyi.

And the fun didn’t stop there.

After the game, Kuminga made his way back around the Kentucky locker room, where he was again seen near Wall.

The image below shows Wall taking a picture with an individual, with Kuminga facing the opposite direction.

Less than 24 hours later, Kuminga announced he was cutting his list to ten, including the Wildcats in the process.

The finalists? Kentucky, Duke, Memphis, Texas Tech, Auburn, Michigan, Florida State, Georgia, Washington, and Maryland.

And what’s significant about the list cut? Not only did it come right after a massive night for the Kentucky basketball program, the five-star forward also cut LSU from his list, as one of the perceived top contenders in his recruitment.

Back in October, recruiting expert Andrew Slater submitted a Crystal Ball pick in favor of the Tigers, with other strong rumblings that an individual within Kuminga’s camp was very close with LSU coach Will Wade and was pushing him to Baton Rouge.

Sources tell KSR that Kuminga – the top prospect in the class of 2021 – is expected to reclassify to 2020, with a decision likely coming in the late signing period.

With LSU out of the picture, Kentucky, Auburn, and Duke are now seen as the favorites in the five-star wing’s recruitment.

With 2021 five-star guard and UK commit Devin Askew very likely reclassifying to the class of 2020 to run the Wildcat offense next year, along with five-star guards Terrence Clarke and BJ Boston already on board, Kentucky is recruiting Kuminga to play the four in a four-out, one-in small-ball lineup. Kuminga, a 6-foot-9, 220-pound forward, is versatile enough to play all five positions on the floor, with those close to the five-star forward’s recruitment saying he is interested in showing off a well-rounded game at the college level to ensure he goes No. 1 in the NBA Draft.

With Kentucky missing out on Cade Cunningham, a commitment from Kuminga in the spring would be quite the response for John Calipari and the UK coaching staff.

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

22 Comments for Jonathan Kuminga hangs out with John Wall around Kentucky locker room, includes UK in list cut

1. mashman 93
    7:05 pm November 6, 2019 Permalink

We’re loaded for next year man and losing out on Cunningham sucks but you move on. If we got a commitment from this kid is that enough? Lance Ware is our lone big but Cal should have some returning players. We know right now that Clarke, Boston and Askew will start. WOW!!!!

• UKBaker24
      7:14 pm November 6, 2019 Permalink

I feel like I’ve definitely heard the sources say guys say that Kuminga is the best player in high school regardless of class so yea I’d say it would be enough

• IrishCat
      7:31 pm November 6, 2019 Permalink

Still need a big or two for depth. A 5 like Omoruyi would be nice. I don’t see Nick coming back.

2. Bluebloodtoo
    7:05 pm November 6, 2019 Permalink

Sometimes I wonder if these things are NCAA violations that have to later be self reported. In which case, I’m not sure why they’d be reported here…. just saying.

• ukjaybrat
      8:01 pm November 6, 2019 Permalink

it’s fine. they just can’t be an agent or someone affiliated with an nba franchise (UNLESS they are an alum of your school) we got in trouble because jayz was part owner of the nets that one year. even though UNC had michael jordan in their locker room – but since he was an alum it was fine.

3. UKBaker24
    7:06 pm November 6, 2019 Permalink

I’d love for Kuminga to reclass and come here, be in the spotlight all year and take being the #1 pick away from Cunningham. And win a title obviously lol

• mashburnfan1
      10:38 pm November 6, 2019 Permalink

Not asking much are ya….lol…I will settle for the title and everything else will take care of itself.

4. Flan
    7:08 pm November 6, 2019 Permalink

Sources Say podcast this week?

5. WildcatNation
    7:24 pm November 6, 2019 Permalink

I can’t get my hopes up anymore

• ColoradoCatFan88
      9:59 pm November 6, 2019 Permalink

I’m with you. I’m over following “the recruiting process.”

6. Wildfelinebeeline
    7:33 pm November 6, 2019 Permalink

Anyone know who the Dukie was in the picture? I swear I’ve seen him before with other recruits.

7. coal miner
    7:58 pm November 6, 2019 Permalink

Why would a kid like Cunningham watch a game like last night and not want to be there.

8. MacAssassin123
    7:59 pm November 6, 2019 Permalink

Cunningham hasn’t signed a LOI yet. The are rumblings that suggest that his brother may not be on the OKST coaching staff for long if his brother is let go I would think Cunningham would strongly consider backing out of his commitment to OKST and sign with UK instead. Probably won’t happen but I don’t think we are done with Cade just yet. I would love for us to get Kuminga. He’s a player skill wise that Duke usually gets. If he reclassifies he probably doesn’t want to have his minutes reduced by play playing with other great players. He’s the type of player who wants to be the man day one. So I wouldn’t get our hopes up but would be huge if get him.

• b2h3slin
      9:53 pm November 6, 2019 Permalink

I doubt OK State will fire Boynton and Cade’s brother regardless of how their season goes. There’s still some guys out there who could follow Cade.

• mashburnfan1
      10:40 pm November 6, 2019 Permalink

They just got the commit, they will not fire him now. Only need to keep him for another year and a half or so. If he had picked UK then I am sure the rumblings would be there.

9. timwarren
    8:27 pm November 6, 2019 Permalink

Jack, Travis, and David please do a Sources Say podcast and tell us where Kuminga is going just like you did with Cunningham lol!! Experts lol!! You guys are jokes! Clowns!

• 4evrUKBlue
      8:36 pm November 6, 2019 Permalink

You”ll fit right in Bozo.

• timwarren
      8:58 pm November 6, 2019 Permalink

Do you listen to the podcast, Bozo?

• mashman 93
      9:44 pm November 6, 2019 Permalink

Then don’t listen smart ax

• timwarren
      11:21 pm November 6, 2019 Permalink

I have to now, smart ax! I love a good trainwreck and some crow eating!

10. shelby3605
    9:40 pm November 6, 2019 Permalink

He’s going to duke: call it the wenyon gabriel effect.

11. CahillsCrossingNT
    10:33 am November 7, 2019 Permalink

He will end up Duke, which undoubtedly is the nation’s preeminent program.