Joker trying to poach a Kentucky commit?

joker-phillips-comeplaywrforthejoker

Joker Phillips did not get the offensive coordinator job at Texas, which means he’s back at Florida for at least another season as wide receivers coach.  And, with the dead period over, he’s on the recruiting trail.  On his list of recruits to see?  Three-star 2014 WR Garrett Johnson, a current UK commit.  ESPN’s Derek Tyson reports that Joker will visit Johnson, who lives in Winter Park, Florida, and committed to Kentucky back in July.  This is the first time Florida has shown interest in Johnson, who will receive a visit from Mark Stoops later this week.

#ComeStealWRsWithTheJoker

20 Comments for Joker trying to poach a Kentucky commit?

1. Waldcat
    1:41 pm January 16, 2014 Permalink

At first, I thought this read, “Joker trying to punch a Kentucky commit?”

Now that would be hilarious.

2. raccoon
    1:43 pm January 16, 2014 Permalink

As long as he still isn’t our coach, I don’t care what Joker does.

3. RealCatsFan
    1:45 pm January 16, 2014 Permalink

I know it’s his job, but if Joker pulls away another UK recruit, his UK card needs to be permanently revoked.

BTW, anyone think Joker staying at UF will ensure Muschamp getting fired after next season, which means they will come looking for Bobby P? Florida has deep enough pockets that $10 mil would not be an obstacle to them. If UL manages to beat Florida St next year, and UF loses to them again, watch out!

4. 2mites
    1:45 pm January 16, 2014 Permalink

Joker….. the name says it all. A horrible coach at any level and of questionable moral character also. I say this as he intentionally took UK football to the lowest level in it’s history. Any recruit who would play for him can say good bye to any career involving football.

• the_ghost_of_ronnie_lyons
      2:49 pm January 16, 2014 Permalink

“any recruit who would play”………… said Randal Cobb and others……. stupid, idiotic comment.

• Stupid comments
      5:27 pm January 16, 2014 Permalink

Lol, so I guess Curry, Mumme, Morriss and all the rest “intentionally” failed too? C’mon, after every single coach since Bear Bryant has left with a losing record, you still think it’s the coaches’ fault? Or is it the program itself? Duh. Stupid comment. Joker failed. He also tried as best he could to succeed. Plenty of good coaches failed here…he’s just the latest in a long line.

• Beavis
      6:19 pm January 16, 2014 Permalink

Watching Bill Curry’s teams was like getting a root canal however I don’t agree with you assessment of Mumme and Guy Morriss. Mumme’s teams were fun to watch and when Guy Morriss was here,,his teams looked like they had a coach. Talent level was not up to par but they looked coached. I am sure Joker tried his best but he was not the man for the job. The players did not even know where to lineup at times. And when you hear a coach say that he is just trying to put players in a position to help the team,with two games left on the schedule, well you should have done that in spring practice.

• Good instate recruits
      10:27 pm January 17, 2014 Permalink

I would have went to UK but Joker wouldn’t give me the time of day…..sad thing is I was better then some of the guys he had. Now I’m at WKU, UofL, UT, Vandy, UF, or some other school that plays Kentucky and I whooped up on that @ss and helped UK to a 2-10 record instead of a bowl game. Oh and guess what I’ve heard he blew Barker and several others off that Stoops picked up to, and Stoops would have got more if UK would have shown interest earlier in the process but Joker be like screw you. Now he’s at UF and all of a sudden we matter. Yep he wanted to ruin UK.

5. artist formally known as mousecop
    1:45 pm January 16, 2014 Permalink

I wish committed players wouldn’t entertain other schools. But it happens and sometimes it may even benefit us, just hope we hang on to what we got.

6. UKBlue
    2:09 pm January 16, 2014 Permalink

Everyone knows this is FL coach last year; their fan base is over him & wanted him fired after this season.

7. Joker's Pitch
    3:50 pm January 16, 2014 Permalink

“Son, you don’t want to go to Kentucky. I ran that program so far into the ground, it will take several years and a dragline excavator to bring it back up.”

• Stoops Counter
      10:36 pm January 17, 2014 Permalink

You’re a wide receiver right, not a tight end, or you sure? I hope you can run block like a lineman and at least 40 times in a game. Good luck catching more then 5 balls in a year as the #1 down there. Every-time you see a pass play the qb called an audible to it and will be doing pushups for it later.

8. Red Headed Stepchild
    4:06 pm January 16, 2014 Permalink

If Joker takes any football recruit, I will go “Kentucky Dirty” on his a$$ !
    Florida players need to look at his record at UK. Enough said.

9. seccats
    4:46 pm January 16, 2014 Permalink

Why would he want to go and drop bubble screens for The Joka? He sucked as an OC (minus the two Woodson years) and blew chunks as a head coach. Hope this kid sees through his B.S.

10. Lewibear0420
    5:20 pm January 16, 2014 Permalink

One wouldn’t think Garrett would go to Florida with Muschamp’s situation being so shaky and with Muschamp’s offensive schemes. I’m a huge lifelong UK fan and alumnus, but I am realistic. There are a lot of recruits that would like the warmer climates over our climate. Whether we like it or not, Florida also currently has a better tradition in football than we do. I have confidence in our coaches in keeping up with this potential development. Besides looking for the final 4 +/- recruits to round out the 2014 recruiting class, we need to also be “Guarding our Roost (Recruits)”.

11. Stupid comments
    5:23 pm January 16, 2014 Permalink

Love these comments from uneducated fans of a football program that has a losing record over its ENTIRE history! Lol, yeah sure Joker “took the program down”. UK has had about 5 good years over the past 60. Not one single coach since Bear Bryant has left the program with a winning record. Rich Brooks “glory years” were a record of 39-47 and 16-39 in the SEC, and bottom tier bowl games that were meaningless. Can’t wait to see what y’all say about Stoops when he is gone in a couple years! Good luck with that giant step to 3-9 next year, only because WKU is off the schedule.

• Wondering
      6:52 pm January 16, 2014 Permalink

Can’t argue with that.

• Joker Phillips
      10:41 pm January 17, 2014 Permalink

Hey stupid I know you’re my cuz and this is a race thing but back off man. You makin me look bad. People down here saying the reason we dropped off even more then last year was because they hired me. Come down here if you want to help out but don’t argue with these people I was trying to kill the program.

• Charlie Strong
      10:49 pm January 17, 2014 Permalink

You want a bad program try Louisville. If it wasn’t for me and Bobby and how bad the Big East is they’d still be nothing……..historically they still are. I’d tried to get them some where but that ain’t happening because they can’t play quality opponents and the sanctions are coming soon. I knew we’d never do nothing in the ACC so I’m about to make Texas a pit stop on my way to the NFL. For a program that’s so bad UK owns them all-time. Even Joker got me once with Brook’s guys…….makes you wonder if they would have won if he stayed.

12. Not True
    7:45 am January 17, 2014 Permalink

I see this inaccurate, untrue statement far too often. Bear Bryant is NOT the last UK head coach to leave the program with a winning record. Blanton Collier had an overall winning record during his tenure as the UK coach and he was fired.

The program has largely been cursed ever since . . . and rightfully so.