John Petty sets decision date

Earlier today, word broke that five-star shooting guard John Petty will not visit Kentucky this weekend as originally planned, and now, we know his decision date. According to AL.com’s Daniel Boyette, Petty will announce his decision on November 10 during halftime of his first home game of the season in Huntsville. Petty is down to Kentucky and Alabama, and if you ask me, this seems like better news for Avery Johnson, especially since the announcement will take place in public in Alabama and there’s still no word on if/when Petty will make it to Lexington before November 10. (Petty did visit Lexington for Big Blue Madness in 2015.)

I managed to get Avery Johnson to talk about Petty indirectly last week at SEC Basketball Media Day by asking about his staff’s recruiting efforts in-state.

“We feel very strongly about the kids in our state,” Johnson said. “Our pitch, we don’t mention other schools on our recruiting visits. We just talk about Alabama. I talk about my resume. If it’s about NBA, I have a little bit of an idea what that’s all about. We tell them you can come to Alabama and be part of something different. You can be the first to help lead us to the Final Four. That’s our sell.”

Regardless, Kentucky maintains a lead in Petty’s 247 Sports Crystal Ball, with 79% of the predictions to Alabama’s 21%. Thankfully, we’ll know for certain soon enough.

John Petty
Shooting Guard/Small Forward | 6-7 | 180 lbs.
Huntsville, AL | J.O. Johnson
AAU: Team Penny
★★★★★
ESPN No. 25 | 7 SG Top247 No. 28 | 7 SF
Rivals No. 30 | — SG Scout No. 44 | 9 SG

15 Comments for John Petty sets decision date

1. jrdh13
    3:55 pm October 26, 2016 Permalink

Definitely not a good sign.. has bama written all over itt.. since when do they steal recruits from us? that’s like us stealing a football recruit from them..

2. John
    5:01 pm October 26, 2016 Permalink

Kentucky’s not for everyone. Avery Johnson probably promised him 60 shots a game or something. Move on down the road. Next recruit. In Cal We Trust.

3. damage_control
    5:04 pm October 26, 2016 Permalink

If the kid wants to be the next Malik Newman that’s his choice. I had to look up Newman’s name because I forgot it after just one year at MSU. This kid isn’t even as good as he was coming out of HS and would be just as quickly forgotten. I think he probably knows that UK’s spotlight is a bit too bright.

4. AllBall
    5:06 pm October 26, 2016 Permalink

Definitely not looking good given the recent developments. I for one was hoping we could get Petty along with Washington bc they played so well on AAU Team Penny. Our SG prospects for this class seem thin beyond Petty and Diallo. Maybe this creates the opportunity for a dual pg backcourt with Quade Green and Young. However, the cupboard will be bare and we need top notch players. Recruits have to see the chance for big minutes.

• Kyblue34
      6:10 pm October 26, 2016 Permalink

Agreed. I’m not the sky is falling type of person, but I am starting to worry about this recruiting class as we will literally have no scholarship guards returning, and there are very few elite guards remaining. I don’t think we have any shot at Diallo (UConn or NBA) and a very long shot to get Green (I don’t get the vibe he wants to play with Young). Maybe we can still get Walker, but who knows.

5. AllBall
    5:12 pm October 26, 2016 Permalink

Big minutes and big stage. Alpha dogs only need apply.

6. kentuck1
    5:41 pm October 26, 2016 Permalink

He’s good. No doubt about it. He would be gone in one year if he came here. He’ll probably spend at least a couple of years in Birmingham if he wants to get them to a Final Four. On the plus side for him, he will probably get an extra year or two of a good education.

Best of luck to him, whatever his decision may be. Basketball is still a team sport.

7. Megan
    6:23 pm October 26, 2016 Permalink

Don’t understand why we’re Debbie Downers about this. Petty’s still visiting UK before he signs. Just not this weekend.

8. UKBlueGreen
    6:24 pm October 26, 2016 Permalink

He’s a rising star and we’ll see him in the pros, but I’m not sold on Petty.

9. bosshogg24
    6:29 pm October 26, 2016 Permalink

Kyblue34, I am glad you are not in charge of recruiting! Please leave that to Cal and never doubt him!

10. BobNWeaver
    7:08 pm October 26, 2016 Permalink

Crystal Ball will be changing in the next few days. It definitely sounds like he is leaning to Alabama. On to the next one, Cal! Go Cats! BBN!

11. Tedington
    7:52 pm October 26, 2016 Permalink

Wasn’t there another Alabama kid that was believed to be a lock for UK a few years ago? He chose Bama but then transferred. …I can’t recall his name……….come to think of it…..most people won’t recall the names of kids that choose to hoop in Tuscaloosa rather than Lexington. ….cautionary tale???

• nybrasky
      8:17 pm October 26, 2016 Permalink

You’re thinking of Trevor Lacy. He was a late bloomer type recruit that would’ve been a nice addition, not quite a blue chipper like Petty.

Then there was Ja’Mychal Green who (wisely) spurned BCG for Bama but is only now really reaching his potential in the league.

Malik Newman is the biggest cautionary tale.

12. ekywildcat
    9:17 pm October 26, 2016 Permalink

Hope we get him, but John Pelphrey is at Alabama now. He’s a very good recruiter.

13. mapcatfan
    10:21 pm October 26, 2016 Permalink

The when, the where, and how he is making the announcement are the concerning details for me. Sounds like Bama.