John Calipari speaks out on George Floyd protests

Kentucky Men’s Basketball head coach John Calipari took to Twitter on Friday evening to address the events that have transpired over the last several days in the United States.

Here is what he had to say:

This past Monday, a video surfaced of a black man named George Floyd being suffocated to death by a white police officer in Minneapolis. Since the incident was posted online, protests have erupted throughout parts of the nation, not limited to just the Minneapolis area. In Kentucky, the city of Louisville is seeing a recent spike in protests after it was discovered by the general public that Breonna Taylor was murdered inside her own home by police back in March.

Be safe, everyone.

Article written by Zack Geoghegan

Covering all things NBA and UK Hoops. Follow me on Twitter: @ZGeogheganKSR

23 Comments for John Calipari speaks out on George Floyd protests

1. blueballs80
    9:52 pm May 29, 2020 Permalink

That officer needs to do life in prison. Its disgusting . To all the looters breaking and destroying property, that is not the way to handle this. Riots are unacceptable! Peaceful protests please. There is a way to get your point across without damaging other peoples property.

• KaliforniaKat
      8:46 am May 30, 2020 Permalink

Not that I’d be one to riot by looting and burning down buildings, but what have peaceful protest done to help these scenarios in the past?! Collin Kap’ started a peaceful movement and our brilliant President condemned him and the movement by name calling and getting him blackballed by the league… which by the way was a racist act as well… And there’s plenty of other peaceful movements, and yet here we are with the same problems… someone mentioned below that this can’t be political… you’re right, it shouldn’t be, but once again our brilliant President has the communication skills of a 3rd grader and makes everything about him and his chance at becoming President again… He’s a breeder of hate, and that hate is starting to seep at the pores… Change starts at the top and that ain’t ever going to happen with this President… Leaders unite, not divide…

2. lexattorney
    10:07 pm May 29, 2020 Permalink

It may be an unpopular opinion on here but I REALLY don’t think we need Calipari’s opinion on this (or any other person without direct knowledge of the situation). I’ll listen to his spiels during basketball season but I could really give no less f’s what he thinks about this or any other nonbasketball situation.

• BlueSteel
      10:22 pm May 29, 2020 Permalink

As if we REALLY need your opinion at all lexattorney!! Keep your f’s to yourself and don’t listen to him then. As a high profile coach and leader of young African-American men, Coach Calipari’s opinion is very important… But that may just be my opinion.

• lexattorney
      10:24 pm May 29, 2020 Permalink

It is your opinion, just like my opinion is mine. I’ll make a deal with you….I won’t listen to Cal’s and you don’t listen to mine.

• lexattorney
      10:27 pm May 29, 2020 Permalink

Also, serious question: Madonna posted a video of her son dancing in support of Floyd. Does her opinion on this matter to you as well?

• BlueSteel
      11:07 pm May 29, 2020 Permalink

The point is that it doesn’t matter what I think. Why do you think you get to decide what everyone else does, thinks or should do or think? Everyone has different life experiences – And of course that shapes how we view things and react to situations.

• friendsofcoal
      10:32 pm May 29, 2020 Permalink

I agree! The worst thing any famous coach, athlete, or entertainer can do is chime in on anything outside of what he/she does for a living…nothing good can come of it.

Listen folks, I’m a conservative republican Christian who supports our President and this deal does not need to be shoved into a political issue like the media will try to do. What happened to this poor man in Minnesota is so sad and I’m praying for him and his family. The cop deserves the max punishment allowed by law in MN and the three other officers that were standing there watching it happen need punished as much as possible as well. I just hate seeing the far left liberals and most media turning it into something political. It is NOT political!!

• BlueSteel
      11:13 pm May 29, 2020 Permalink

This “deal” has been going on for far longer than this one situation which is part of the problem. Some people don’t want to admit that because it does not affect them. Anymore it does seem that everything is turned into a political stance on one side or the other. I think Cal was just trying to show support for the young men who are the ones who have helped put him in the position he has.

• TPACAT
      9:18 am May 30, 2020 Permalink

Totally agree, lex. Shut up and dribble, Cal, LeBron, et. al…

3. dcforuk
    11:14 pm May 29, 2020 Permalink

Many things are hidden and not able to be understood. We all, therefore, lean in to what we know to avoid being too concerned about what we don’t know. That’s called being human. But, as we lean in and speak we should all remember that our words really do matter. Choose them carefully and wisely. They can build people up. They can break people down.

4. First of all, I almost always side with the police if there is any doubt about their safety. They are often put in very difficult positions. Having said that, this case is unbelievable and unacceptable in every way especially on heels of other similarly unacceptable uses of force. I am white and it is time to face the fact that black people face an unfair bias from law enforcement and put an end to this. Police need to be held accountable for this. People like Coach Cal have a platform and good on him taking a stand on this important social justice issue. In addition, This is part of teaching, servant leadership and helping to raise young men which if you pay attention is his real mission in life. Do I wish we won 1-2 more natties, especially 2015. Damn right I do. Painful. Does his opinion count more than anyone else’s? No, but I certainly respect it and am more interested in his take than I am in Lexattorney and friends of coal. Both of your are an embarrassment to BBN.

• friendsofcoal
      11:42 pm May 29, 2020 Permalink

I can respect that…no issues here big guy.

• Bluehender
      11:45 pm May 29, 2020 Permalink

Well said…thank you

• lexattorney
      11:47 pm May 29, 2020 Permalink

Resorting to namecalling = throwing up the white flag because I have no valid argument.

• friendsofcoal
      11:50 pm May 29, 2020 Permalink

Also, I want to apologize for being such an embarrassment to BBN.

• lexattorney
      12:07 am May 30, 2020 Permalink

LOL

• Cletis75
      12:13 am May 30, 2020 Permalink

I think it’s situational more times than not. I have been slapped upside the head with an extendable baton, choked by police officers numerous times and had multiple cops gang up on me numerous times, and in Fredericksburg VA had an officer kneel on the back of my neck till I started fading in and out. When he started to realize I was going out he started trying to shake me back awake. These officers know what that does and that it can be lethal. Yes if you can talk you can breathe but you’re not getting enough oxygen to survive. You’re being slowly smothered. I was only 22 and a very fit Marine at the time. I can only guess what it does to an average 40-50 year old. Those cops should be punished harshly. I think a lot of police officers are just power crazy no matter what color you are. I am white and most everything I have seen done to black people by police, I have experienced myself, so I can’t say there’s a double standard. Black or white, those officers were in the wrong, and I have told many officers I am friends with that if they lie to cover up other officers crimes than they are no different than the people they are arresting.

5. BlueByYou
    8:53 am May 30, 2020 Permalink

The hipocrasy on this site is sometimes laughable! In one breath, concerning our non-fan, Mashbutt, we are told to ignore him…..and when someone voices an opinion like Cal did, we get up in arms. Suggest those of you eager to slew your advice, take your own.

6. BlueByYou
    8:54 am May 30, 2020 Permalink

Spew

7. BigBluSoTru
    11:00 am May 30, 2020 Permalink

If their is anybody that can stop this rioting is Calipari.I guarantee if Mayor Fisher wold allow him to speak to his city Cal can make the riotors stop.

8. Ned T.
    9:53 am May 31, 2020 Permalink

I do not give a damn what John Calipari thinks about “injustices.” He’s pandering to blacks so he can keep 5 stars coming to Lexington.

You know it is true.

9. Ned T.
    9:56 am May 31, 2020 Permalink

Calipari has now become part of the problem, not part of a solution. He is encouraging riots and looting.

Shame on him.