John Calipari posts tribute to Congressman John Lewis

On Friday, U.S. Congressman John Lewis passed away at the age of 80 after a six-month battle with cancer. This afternoon, John Calipari posted a tribute to Lewis, a civil rights leader who was one of the original Freedom Riders and spent more than three decades representing Georgia’s 5th Congressional District, during which he earned the nickname “The Conscience of the Congress.”

From Calipari’s Facebook page:

I never had the pleasure of meeting Congressman John Lewis, but his life was one I have admired since I first saw images of him on the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma. To know how young he was at the time & that he then spent a lifetime committing to do what is right should resonate with us all.

Congressman Lewis was persistently courageous, sustaining his beliefs through a lifetime of being told no, to being ignored and to being delayed!! That amazes me but I especially love what he said about getting in “good trouble” and the notion of “If not us, then who? If not now, then when?”

I always come back to this: Could I have been the coach who wasn’t afraid to have five African-American starters in the 60s and 70s? There’s a difference in doing it in the 30 years I’ve been coaching and the 30 years before. That took courage and that’s why I admire Dean Smith and C.M. Newton.

Coach Smith and Coach Newton were trailblazers for our sport.

Congressman Lewis was a trailblazer for us all.

RIP, Congressman. Thank you for your service to this country.

Tributes to Lewis have been everywhere over the past few days, but I encourage you to watch this one from CBS Sunday Morning.

This cartoon by Marc Murphy is also wonderful:

10 Comments for John Calipari posts tribute to Congressman John Lewis

1. rlee7932
    6:03 pm July 20, 2020 Permalink

You should just disable the comments right now, or at least lock up the dogs because there will be more dog whistles than a GOP rally.

2. 2andToodleLoo
    6:33 pm July 20, 2020 Permalink

How long until Coach K does one?

3. WKY Cat
    6:41 pm July 20, 2020 Permalink

Cal is just as brainwashed as most liberals. He has every right to post his personal political opinions just like I have the right to say he’s brainwashed. It’s all in free speech.

• ryang1234
      1:21 am July 21, 2020 Permalink

Good to know that acting against racist policies makes one a liberal.

4. psuegobigblue
    6:49 pm July 20, 2020 Permalink

Beautiful tribute to a true American.

5. lizard king
    8:24 pm July 20, 2020 Permalink

Sorry for his family

He will be replaced by someone a lot worse than him now. He may have been a liberal, but he at least had sense. The libs today hate America and want it destroyed

6. PensacolaCat
    9:27 pm July 20, 2020 Permalink

Just because a lot of people didn’t like the guy’s policies (including me), it doesn’t mean that we are going to disparage the guy after he dies or criticize Cal. I didn’t care for the guy and still don’t but to each his own.

7. UKFanSC
    10:47 pm July 20, 2020 Permalink

He was a product of his time and place. He represented his constituents to the best of his ability. That’s all you can ask from a politician. Liberal ? Yes. But by all accounts a good man.

8. BlueSteel
    12:31 am July 21, 2020 Permalink

Cal gets it!! He is able to appreciate a man dedicating his life (And on more than one occasion almost giving his life) for the betterment of situations for fellow human beings. Cal did this when really he has very little in common with Congressman Lewis but he is able to look past that. Thank you to several of you who are on the ‘other side’ of things but chose to be kind. For the rest of you – I don’t even know what to say except where is your humanity!?

• madarchitect
      8:44 am July 21, 2020 Permalink

What a classy tribute by coach to a civil rights hero.