Jemarl Baker commits to Kentucky

jemarl-baker

John Calipari has a new guard from the Class of 2017 to help fill the huge vacancy left open in his backcourt.

According to Evan Daniels of Scout.com fame, Jemarl Baker has accepted his scholarship offer from Kentucky and will be a Wildcat next season.

Jemarl Baker
Shooting Guard | 6-4 | 180 lbs.
Eastvale, CA | Roosevelt High School
AAU: Earl Watson Elite
★★★★
ESPN No. 65 | 19 SG Top247 No. 119 | 22 SG
Rivals No. 80 Scout No. 87 | 20 SG

The former Cal-Berkeley signee told Daniels, “I’m honored and humbled by the experience and greatly appreciate coach Cal believing in my abilities. I work extremely hard and to see it paying off means the world to me. I know I’m going to be challenged and pushed every day by the coaching staff and it’s something I look forward to. I get to compete with some of the best players on a daily basis.”

Read the whole story here.

Article written by Drew Franklin

30 Comments for Jemarl Baker commits to Kentucky

1. cat fan stan
    1:00 pm April 11, 2017 Permalink

Welcome to the BBN Mr. Baker! You can’t have too many shooters. Great pick up by for the cats.

2. kenny
    1:05 pm April 11, 2017 Permalink

Nice, now for the finishing touches, Johnson, and Bamba. I’d hate to see Bamba anywhere else, but if Bam comes back the Cats will still be a contender.

• Jonathan40330
      1:09 pm April 11, 2017 Permalink

Very true … whether it is Adebayo or Bamba anchoring the frontcourt, I believe UK will be vastly improved on the interior. As for the perimeter, the last piece of the puzzle is Johnson as Baker’s commitment definitely pushes Smith to be a Sparty, which was probably going to occur regardless.

• ZRZynda
      4:44 pm April 11, 2017 Permalink

Bamba at the 5 and if Bam comes back he will move to the 4 to work on the skills needed for the NBA so he can work on his stock to be a top 5 pick next year.

3. thelexcat
    1:08 pm April 11, 2017 Permalink

Get ready to feel some love from the BBN Jemarl. Welcome aboard! Now let’s do this!!!

4. maximumscott
    1:17 pm April 11, 2017 Permalink

The thing is that he is a 4 star thats gonna be looked at provided quality minutes off the jump. Some of our 5stars cant do that. Im worried that he wont provide immediate depth but will be a good 2-3 year player. Johnson would be the one that would provide immediate impact with Jamarl providing 10-15 mins a game. If we get johnson, bam and bamba… this team will be scary good!

5. 8xchamp
    1:20 pm April 11, 2017 Permalink

Ya don’t need either, but would be nice for one or both bam or bamba. I’ll take a front court of Vanderbilt,humphreys, and johnson

• UKALLDAY1
      2:15 pm April 11, 2017 Permalink

That front court will get you DESTROYED! …… You need at least one Bam or Bamba in that mix at MINIMUM. Also like Vanderbilt at the 3 and Pj at the 4, then hopefully Bam or Bamba or best case scenerio would be both.

• fireants25
      2:23 pm April 11, 2017 Permalink

I want Johnson…experienced and good…2 years left and is 6’8 215 guard who can make 3’s….yes yes yes!!!

• CW
      2:37 pm April 11, 2017 Permalink

UKALLDAY1, a front court of Skal, Humphries, and Lee were good enough to be on a 27 win team. Would love to have Bam or Bamba next year, but DESTROYED? That’s a ridiculous comment.

• UKALLDAY1
      2:51 pm April 11, 2017 Permalink

CW, Yeah but that wasn’t the Front court though. I think you in the words of the great Roger Clemens misremembered that Skal was there with a SENIOR Alex Poythress as the other front court player and was the player who did the most damage up front on that 27 win, a team that needed the best back court in America to even be that good. Humphries barely saw any time that year so you stand corrected. The front court HE named has no go to guys, no ALPHA DOG! Bam and or Bamba gives you that, if you get both of them then you have 2 Alpha’s. I stand on my statement that a front court of Humphries, Vanderbilt and Johnson will get DESTROYED!

6. 8xchamp
    1:23 pm April 11, 2017 Permalink

Throw in wenyan, Richards and Washington gettin #9

7. BlueGrass
    1:27 pm April 11, 2017 Permalink

Is it just me or does anybody else think it’s odd we are using his Cal photo for his UK commit post, ha ha.

• pancakesfordinner
      6:48 pm April 11, 2017 Permalink

I’m pretty sure he didn’t have time to do a professional photo shoot for his UK announcement yet.

8. UKALLDAY1
    2:20 pm April 11, 2017 Permalink

I do not understand what Coaches scout these days. Saw Baker play twice and this guy wasn’t even the main man in his high school team. The other kid that did most of the damage doesn’t even have any D1 offers so go figure. Sure he can shoot but even the best shooters have off nights, so is he going to be a liability at everything else? If he is off then we are basically playing 4 on 5. I wish the kid the best, it’s just that I just haven’t seen him do much other than shoot the ball.

• secrick
      2:33 pm April 11, 2017 Permalink

There is no way we are going to get 10 5 star players. You have to have some players that are just good at a few things. If he could do it all he would be a 5 star.

• JusSayin
      2:48 pm April 11, 2017 Permalink

The other guy (Matt Mitchell) is a 6’5 PF. That’s why he doesn’t have high major offers. But he was still good enough to be listed as a 3 star recruit and go to Cal State Fullerton.

Baker is shooting specialist this team needed one so everyone wouldn’t pack it in. He might not be a 5 star recruit be there is a reason he’s considered top 100 by everyone.

• AllBlueAllDay
      3:22 pm April 11, 2017 Permalink

Devin Booker was a 4* SG too and look how he turned out. Don’t judge a book by his cover just because he doesn’t have that 5th *.

• catsarerunnin
      3:34 pm April 11, 2017 Permalink

Get 5 star players and their one and done. Get “only” 4 star and they may not be an impact player right away. There’s no pleasing some.

9. maximumscott
    3:14 pm April 11, 2017 Permalink

Quade, diallo, vanderbilt, bam, bamba

10. jaws2
    3:47 pm April 11, 2017 Permalink

Regardless, we go through this every year. Greatest recruiting class, crazy good, could go 40-0, yada yada yada. After 7 years I’ve become a we’ll see kind of guy. I think it’s great we get these kids but I’ll play the wait and see guy from now on.

• dballrb
      6:10 pm April 11, 2017 Permalink

Jaws2…Amen..

• catsarerunnin
      6:53 pm April 11, 2017 Permalink

Well I think every fan of every team of every sport is “we’ll see” when it comes to the next season. You need a bigger boat for your nonsense.

• pancakesfordinner
      6:55 pm April 11, 2017 Permalink

I love that this kid will likely stick around for a few years, but I’m not sure how this young team will gel next year. Our backcourt will have almost no NCAA experience, unless we get Johnson as well, but I’m not sure how there will be enough minutes to go around. Perhaps we return to the PLATOON!

11. dballrb
    6:11 pm April 11, 2017 Permalink

Well,at least the guy may stay for 2 and done…