Jaylen Brown says he could wait until the spring to sign

Image via 247Sports.com
Image via 247Sports.com

This summer, one of KSR’s recruiting crushes has been Jaylen Brown, the star of the AAU summer circuit. UK, UCLA, Kansas, and Georgia are considered the favorites for Brown, who recently vaulted to the top of Scout’s 2015 rankings. There were rumors that Brown wanted to commit on his birthday, October 24, but he told D1Circuit.com over the weekend that he’s “probably not going to sign or commit until after basketball season.”

This is good news for the Cats, who have been trying to get Brown on campus for a visit, specifically for Big Blue Madness on October 17. If Brown waits until the spring to commit, he’ll be able to see which Kentucky players go pro and which stay, which could greatly impact his decision. He’s already scheduled to visit Kansas on October 10 for the “Late Night at the Phog” festivities, and plans to release a Top 10 list after the Elite 24 game on August 23.

Here’s his latest mixtape:

9 Comments for Jaylen Brown says he could wait until the spring to sign

1. Tori Smelling
    2:37 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

Branding by a drama queen.

2. UK
    2:41 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

This is great news for Kentucky. The later he decides the better because he can see how he fits with the team.

3. Ty
    2:44 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

Translation: “I’m scared of the competition and I want to see if they lose 6 guys to the NBA so there is less competition and a better chance to get a starting spot from day 1. If a lot stay, I’ll take the easy way out and go elsewhere.” Can’t stand this.

• Parent
      3:58 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

Pretend you are the parent of this kid (or any top 10 recruit in a given year). Would you advise your son to commit somewhere early? I know I wouldn’t. What benefit to the kid is there in doing that? If you are a legitimate elite recruit, EVERY school on your list is going to keep a schollie open for you. You are better off to yes, see what players from the schools you are interested in are leaving, who else is coming in, if the coach is still going to be there, etc.. Makes no sense to commit early…its not about pleasing a fanbase, its about making sure you make the right choice.

4. arlo
    2:48 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

of course. why miss out on another 6-7 months face time.

5. ATB (Always True Blue)
    2:58 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

On this topic, why would a kid make an early decision who is a top 5 player. I know I wouldn’t for the reasons just mentioned and more. Has nothing to do with Kentucky. Only downside is injury and loss of a committed scholarship, which would happen anyway after the 1st year. I’m OK with it and I think it bodes well for Kentucky that he is doing this. Now after the trip, I am so pumped about this years team, it’s hard to think about the future. What does folks think Cal will do with the Platoon system. I think he will keep it up until late game situations. In fact, he can use Hawkins and Willis to fill foul trouble minutes and not affect the other guys intensity. What does everyone else think Cal will do?

6. KevinM
    3:15 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

No reason to commit earlier than you have to.

Lots of things can change over the season. Sounds like he has no idea where he wants to go or where he will benefit the most.

7. But has he taken the ice bucket challenge?

8. specialetta
    3:29 am August 20, 2014 Permalink

Don’t believe he will come to UK. Read where he was going to an Adidais school, UK is sponsored by Nike. Believe he will go to UCLA.