Jay Bilas blasts Duke AD’s statement on NLI Legislation

College athletes are getting closer and closer to the day they can profit off their own name and likeness. You know, the things unique to them, that they were born with. A pretty straight-forward and completely reasonable request.

Anyway, the NCAA is moving in that direction, but Duke athletic director Kevin White isn’t on board. White released a statement on Tuesday to make a stand against NLI legislation and says he and Duke share those concerns with UNC. You can read that entire statement here:

As a former Olympic sport coach and as the Director of Athletics at a number of NCAA institutions, I am deeply concerned about the potential consequences of legislation permitting student-athletes to profit from the use of their name, image, and likeness (NIL).  First of all, let me say that I got into college athletics because of my unadulterated admiration and affection for the young women and men who represent our colleges and universities.  It has been my honor to work with and for them for more than 45 years.  Moreover, as a member of the USOPC Board and chair of its College Advisory Council, my passion is the continued advancement of Olympic sports, especially at the collegiate level.

Along with my colleague and friend Bubba Cunningham, of the University of North Carolina, I am concerned about potential complications attendant upon the actual implementation of NIL legislation. How will it impact recruiting?  Will it create a wide-open marketplace in which institutions solicit businesses or boosters to offer ever-escalating endorsement deals to a star high school quarterback or point guard?  Will resources from equipment, apparel, and shoe companies be redirected to a relatively few individuals rather than being shared equally among the lesser known, but no less valuable, Olympic sports?  How will it affect the locker room in which the vast majority of student-athletes go uncompensated?  These are but a few of the questions for which we currently have no answers.

Bubba and I are concerned about the potential for abuse of NIL legislation; you can dismiss our concerns as those of athletics directors eager to preserve the status quo.  Much harder to dismiss is the voice of the student-athletes themselves.  The NCAA Student-Athlete Advisory Committee, made up entirely of undergraduate athletes, has expressed its concern that “there are a plethora of potential unintended consequences” to permitting the use of NIL.  Among them, they identify “unfair recruiting and competitive advantages, difficulty monitoring compensation and ethics, unequal treatment of female athletes, and exploiting of athletes.”  These are the legitimate issues raised by the athletes themselves.  This is their voice; it should be heard.

-Vice President & Director of Athletics Kevin White

Once White’s statement hit the worldwide web and Duke’s own Jay Bilas got wind of it, Bilas blasted his alma mater’s AD for being “tone deaf” and greedy:

“This is stunning in its tone deafness. It says, ‘the money is ours, to pay ourselves fair market value, and should not be re-directed’ to where clear value lies. We shall call for strict equality here only, as we fail to provide equal resources to each sport or athlete,’” Bilas tweeted.

“Further, ‘We are worried about recruiting, and know the most important key to winning and financial gain is procuring athletes. We point to a hand-picked ‘relative few’ that parrot us, but ask you to ignore the athletes that will benefit most. It’s OUR MONEY, not theirs.’”

Now seems like a great time to Google Duke Kevin White salary. Hang on…

Yep. Makes perfect sense…

Article written by Drew Franklin

16 Comments for Jay Bilas blasts Duke AD’s statement on NLI Legislation

1. snoopjdawg
    5:10 pm June 9, 2020 Permalink

Not surprised. He’s Mike White’s dad…. I am can’t wait to see what happens with the Zion lawsuit.

2. wildcats8
    5:17 pm June 9, 2020 Permalink

Only reason he is concerned is because then they will have more competition from their duffle bag drops to recruits

3. terwilliger
    5:18 pm June 9, 2020 Permalink

“Bubba and I are concerned”

LMAO… how can anybody even say that with a straight face? And how perfect is it that UNC’s athletic director is named BUBBA.

These men are complete and total frauds. Both of them. Their feigned concern is vomit-inducing given all they’ve gotten away with. The NCAA has enabled all of it. Not just allowed it, enabled it.

• tncatrn
      5:48 pm June 9, 2020 Permalink

EXACTLY!! should have been written as
      ..now the way Bubba n me figure it…its perfect the AD at UNC is named Bubba. Goes great with a HC named Roy…

4. blueballs80
    5:20 pm June 9, 2020 Permalink

Majority of the athletes are black in college sports esp football and basketball . This puts them at a disadvantage and not letting them have access to monetary compensation.

5. Ned T.
    5:23 pm June 9, 2020 Permalink

If you have ever hung around AAU/travel ball, you know there is some truth to the AD’s comments. The whole recruiting business is filled with opportunists and shady characters with bags of money. Making it a free-for-all will not end well. Trust me.

There is no easy answer.

• Bluebloodtoo
      7:38 pm June 9, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, I have to agree with you. This doesn’t seem like the right move to me. But none of the universities want to give up their cash, so….

6. BigBlueFoo42777
    6:08 pm June 9, 2020 Permalink

I’m not sure how this will do any harm but I’m certain schools with larger markets would have advantages over smaller schools. At uk even walk ons would benefit as well as unc and duke. Maybe all student athletes get equal. Idk

7. michaelb
    6:26 pm June 9, 2020 Permalink

I like how they put ads in when you exit the screen now .

• Bluehender
      7:15 pm June 9, 2020 Permalink

I don’t really care for it…

8. KyZoneBlitz
    6:52 pm June 9, 2020 Permalink

Duke started their rise in recruiting when mr money bags jeff capel came back on board after leaving the Sooners under investigation for paying players, then duke suddenly goes strictly one and dones getting every top player almost overnight…. I think it’s strange that people think they weren’t paying players, it’s almost too obvious, hopefully the Zion case is their nail in the coffin….

9. runningunnin.454
    7:16 pm June 9, 2020 Permalink

I wouldn’t worry about it there, Kevin; how much did you pay Zion?

• 4everUKBlue
      6:36 am June 10, 2020 Permalink

Don’t for get about Bagley and I’m sure there have been several others.

10. Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
    11:28 pm June 9, 2020 Permalink

Duke and UNC only care because this will take away their monetary recruiting advantage. Look at this year Duke lost their bag man and they take a recruiting hit.

11. 4everUKBlue
    6:34 am June 10, 2020 Permalink

Where are all the “every school pays players” idiots?

12. Megan
    6:43 pm June 11, 2020 Permalink

“Duke AD’s statement on NLI Legislation”
    “White released a statement on Tuesday to make a stand against NLI legislation”

What’s all this I hear about making a stand against legislation on national letters of intent?
    (That’s name, image and likeness. NIL. Not NLI.)
    Oh, well. That’s different.
    Never mind. : )