Jay Bilas Apologizes for Twitter Spat with Caliparis

The Jay Bilas-Calipari Daughters feud reached a crescendo with an apology from the ESPN analyst on Kentucky Sports Radio.

It all started when John Calipari was the featured photo for an article The Oregonian published about corruption in college basketball.  Once Bilas shared the article, Megan Calipari weighed in.  Bilas responded to someone who replied to Calipari’s daughter, sparking the firestorm.

Megan’s sister Erin came to her defense, and even Ellen Calipari got in on the action.

Bilas reached out to Matt Jones this morning to clear the air.

I definitely was not responding to Megan,” Bilas explained.  “Cal knows me.  The idea that I would respond to them, I would never do that.  I’m sorry that they were on that.  Maybe I need to be more vigilant on that or learn how to respond only to one person when I want to be snarky.  I was not implying that somebody couldn’t read or anything like that.”

One comment in particular struck a chord: “Or, have someone read it to you.”  Bilas’ snark fell on deaf ears.

“That was inartful.  I do think it’s kind of ridiculous that someone would think I was implying that (they couldn’t read) by responding to something in writing with something in writing, but I do see how that inartful way could be taken the wrong way by people who are looking to be insulted.  I think you had to be looking to be insulted on that one, but you’re right.  I apologize for not doing that the right way, but I didn’t mean to suggest that people in Kentucky can’t read or something like that.”

The snark he directed to the BBN masses is lingering from the “controversy” after the Kansas game.  When Bilas’ 94-feet segment featured Kansas’ Devon Dotson instead of a Wildcat, some fans were furious.  After receiving plenty of “unreasonable” online backlash, he was prepared to respond with snark.

“If I get reasonable, I respond reasonably.  If I get unreasonable, I respond snarkily, and that’s sort of what happened with @StBrock199.  By responding to what I considered a ridiculous notion that somehow my journalistic integrity was in question because I retweeted this article and I’m out to get John Calipari, and now I’ve shown my true colors as if those are Duke blue.

“You guys realize people could say I favor Kentucky because I have family members that went there, my brother lives in Kentucky and I host your show every summer.  Can you imagine the bias I’m showing towards Kentucky?  It’s kind of ridiculous this whole thing, so that’s why I pushed back mostly.”

Now that Bilas has cleared the air, hopefully this issue will be put to rest.

Matt Jones’ conversation with Jay Bilas begins around the 22:45 mark of Hour 1.

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

71 Comments for Jay Bilas Apologizes for Twitter Spat with Caliparis

1. Papaw
    11:29 am February 5, 2019 Permalink

Ehhhhh I doubt it

2. Peas and Carrots
    11:31 am February 5, 2019 Permalink

That’s a weak apology. “I’m sorry that you got offended” is not “I’m sorry”.

• BlueSteel
      11:45 am February 5, 2019 Permalink

That is a weak response on your part because that is not what he said!!

• Peas and Carrots
      12:38 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

“I do see how that inartful way could be taken the wrong way by people who are looking to be insulted.  I think you had to be looking to be insulted on that one” – Jay Bilas

• ritzter
      12:39 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

P&C is right. I like Jay, but that was definitely an “I’m sorry you’re mad at me” apology.

• antiquefurnitureandmidgets
      6:53 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

He was apologizing for not keeping Megan Calipari out of his response. It wasn’t directed at her so he apologized for not being more careful. He wasn’t apologizing to anyone else.

• BlueSteel
      9:49 am February 6, 2019 Permalink

Thank You Antique… He went on the show to say that he was not aiming anything at Megan. He made that perfectly clear.

3. nmichave
    11:33 am February 5, 2019 Permalink

Not good enough. What if the photo had Coach K pictured instead of Cal?? Would Bilas still be fine with it?? The photo implies something and was used as click-bait, and that’s not right.

• ritzter
      12:53 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

I agree that Bilas would have responded differently if it had been Coach K. Lots of comments say it doesn’t matter, and I respectfully disagree. UK Athletics works hard and spends a ridiculous amount of money to promote a positive image, and it’s a troll click-bait move for the Oregonian to use Cal’s picture. Jay said he doesn’t pick the picture, but he posted it, and by doing so he is endorsing it. Our image matters, and I think UK and our fans have a right to be upset.

The “have someone read it to you” was also trolling, but isn’t worth getting up in arms about, even though I think he knew exactly what he was saying.

4. abmorris27
    11:39 am February 5, 2019 Permalink

That’s a non-apology.

5. abmorris27
    11:40 am February 5, 2019 Permalink

He needs to own it or I might start to really dislike him. So weak!

6. Joe B. Y'all
    11:40 am February 5, 2019 Permalink

Sounds like Bilas was dancing. You don’t have to be looking to be insulted to interpret the suggestion that someone read it to you means you must not be able to. FOH Bilas.

7. ClutchCargo
    11:41 am February 5, 2019 Permalink

Do better, Jay.

8. BlueSteel
    11:47 am February 5, 2019 Permalink

Did any of you actually listen to the show and hear him?

• CaliparisCats
      12:52 pm February 7, 2019 Permalink

Yep. I listened to every word of his fake apology. Maybe you need to be the one that goes back and listens to it.

9. catsarerunnin
    11:48 am February 5, 2019 Permalink

Not to be political but the half hearted apology by Bilas reminded me of some of the Hollywood types who “apologized” to the CovCath kids a couple of weeks ago after branding them as being racist. Regardless of who the comment made by Bilas was intended for,to say to anyone that somebody should “read it to them” was implying he didn’t feel they had the ability to read or comprehend his comments. And it wasn’t being “snarky. He was being judgmental. Just own up to it instead of issuing a half assed apology.

• StuckinLville
      11:59 am February 5, 2019 Permalink

There’s a big difference between the two because people like you are assuming what he meant.

• catsarerunnin
      1:02 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

Ohhhh ok. So who are people like me?

• StuckinLville
      2:18 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

Do you not comprehend English? I said people like you who are assuming what he meant.

• catsarerunnin
      4:39 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

I don’t have to assume. I know what he meant.

10. StuckinLville
    11:49 am February 5, 2019 Permalink

I think people have blown nothing into something. Bilas has always given praise to UK and Cal and people should just shut up. Be mad at the Oregonian for using the picture, not at a journalist for retweeting journalism. Quite frankly, he has nothing to apologize for because it says who he was responding too. The Calipari sisters are grown so maybe they should act like it. Especially the one that’s a doctor.

• rabblerabblerabble
      11:54 am February 5, 2019 Permalink

She’d be happy to tell us all about her multitude of degrees and commendations!

• StuckinLville
      11:56 am February 5, 2019 Permalink

Good for her. Which means she’s too intelligent for ignorant ass twitter wars.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      1:04 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

So neither of you would take up for your father? Sounds about right.

• StuckinLville
      2:19 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

Bilas wasn’t saying anything about Calipari. Nor was he even responding to her.

• jahanc2uky
      2:33 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

Any forum where I can voice this complaint, that Bias is an awful commentary, I will take. He is boring, complains too much, talks about his thoughts WAY too much, and is caught up in watching the game more than being a color commentary. He is awful for college basketball and should not be allowed to do Primetime games, until he gains more experience. He sucks at broadcasting, period.

• Memphis UK Cat
      5:48 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

I totally disagree. We have our own opinions

• 4everUKblue
      4:33 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

Do you realize how bad this looked? Whether he meant to or not it looked like he was responding to her. Cal has been accuse of cheating for how many yrs now? And to have his picture attached to that story, which I know was not Bilas’ fault but he could have addressed it.

11. cats646
    11:53 am February 5, 2019 Permalink

Bilas is right, you have to be looking to be offended to actually be offended by this. Nothing to see here. Move along.

12. bwise
    12:04 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

Bilas is a good guy lol cal is fine, his daughters are fine, Ellen is fine, brad is fine. Everyone got emotional about a picture. Moving on. Saying “that’s not enough” is crazy.

• sprtphan
      12:10 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

Agree.

13. BigBlue4Three
    12:06 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

Screw Jay Bilas and screw his fellow dookie apologist Matt Jones. Two peas in a pod. The ego war between those two would be EPIC.

14. Wade
    12:10 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

He said you! Who jay?

• pumpkin
      12:35 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

Ok. Lot to cover here. Bilas linked to an article (fine). He had no control over pic (fine). His followers flamed him for not distancing Cal when he posted (personally don’t think he needed to). Megan defended dad in response to a tweet (fine in action and tone). Bilas responded directly to Megan (BAD) with intellectually demeaning snark (WORSE). After it blew up, he did a sorry not sorry (SERIOUSLY?) on home radio show (WTF dude) and used the “you know me” defense.

A real apology (shouldn’t have said that) and explanation that he did not direct his reading comment to Megan would have ended it. Now cal ladies will be all over him for implying they are to soft to be on Twitter (as they should be). Bilas handled this as poorly as he possibly could.

• ibescootch
      12:44 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

This comment was painful to read, not just because of its ignorant rambling, but because of the overuse of parentheses. Goodness, relax with the subtext.

• Catcasey1
      12:50 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

Matt Jones showed his real side this morning. I thought Matt was a real loser this morning sure thought he was better than that . Glad Jay wasn’t in person ain’t know telling what Matt would have done for him disgusting

15. abmorris27
    12:40 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

pumpkin, that is a perfect summary

16. Han
    12:43 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

So his defense is that he wasn’t trying to be snarky to a famous person’s daughters, but rather he was being snarky to someone unimportant.

• catsarerunnin
      1:03 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

Exactly!

• mapcatfan
      1:22 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

Yep, you beat me to it.
      His comment was condescending. What difference does it make at whom it was directed? In addition, there was name calling. Point is, people who blamed Jay for the picture were wrong. Just as Jay’s take on UK fans being upset with the picture is wrong.

17. sp
    12:51 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

All the while the Oregonian article gets more clicks and more clicks. Yeah there’s no reason to put Cal in the picture.

18. puglover
    12:52 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

So did he apologize or attempt to justify his actions???

19. michaelb
    12:52 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

Jay use to be my fav commentator cause of his broad understanding of the game and the NCAA. Hate to say it but Dan Dakich is every bit the basketball mind of jay . Dan is just a hillbilly version of J bilas . Therefore I like dan better . It’s fun to listen to how accurate he describes situations in game . He should probably be indianas next coach . This is truth , sorry to the dakich haters

• J-Dub421
      1:21 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

Dakich was already head coach at Indiana and was a total failure.

• Jiminy Crickets
      1:46 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

Bilas is a politically correct Ahole, Dakich is politically incorrect Ahole. One grew up with etiquette the other is Dan Dakich. I like them both, mainly because I don’t honestly care about either, but I’m entertained by both.

• secrick
      1:40 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

I agree with you i like Dakich better than Bilas and coaching at Indiana doesn’t seem to be all that easy so maybe he didn’t do as bad as it looked. Maybe he had just a little to much Bobby Knight in him.

20. huehue
    1:17 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

I haven’t seen much backpedaling since last year’s quarterback academy. Classic politics these days. Everyone knows why that picture was used. Everyone knows why Bilas said what he said. So much spin.

21. Truman Claytor
    1:28 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

I am constantly amazed how thin skin many of my fellow Kentucky fans are. In this day where people live to be recreationally outraged, one must learn to not sweat the little things

• Iamheasyouarehe
      1:34 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

Maybe if your father had been accused of cheating as long as you can remember you would become a little thin skinned too.

• StuckinLville
      2:26 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

No one was accusing him of anything in this case. So stop whining. People and social media drama is such a waste of time.

• 4everUKblue
      4:35 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

You’re the whiner Lville, you rag on her for getting into twitter wars and look at you arguing for Bilas like a fanboy on KSR.

• 4everUKblue
      4:37 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

If you could stop whining long enough to see how it looks on the surface and get you nose out of Bilas’ butthole …. The fact that he’s been wrongfully accused of cheating for decades now and then to have that picture as the cover photo. Get a clue buddy roll.

22. MrPioneer
    1:35 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

Bilas doesn’t need to apologize for anything. Stop being so sensitive folks, he is not out to get Kentucky.

23. keriscaggs
    1:40 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

My experience with Mr. Bilas is this: you can be incredibly polite, and if he feels like being snarky, he will. This is a ridiculous trying-too-hard kind of response. He was rude to non-Caliparis, but did he respond to them? It takes an immature person to say “if I deem you unreasonable I will respond in kind.” Wow.

24. Jiminy Crickets
    1:43 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

I had to come on here to see all the back and forth. Have you guys not been paying attention? When the scandal broke, ESPN had a pic of Cal on its front page, numerous articles have come out since and Cal has been on a TON of them. BBN is loud and proud and will twitter fight all day, they know this and bait you to click the article, which is paid by click incentive advertising. The Oregonian made a bunch of money today off BBN, and a Bilas will go back to his mansion and laugh at everyone that has a problem with him. Keep clicking on his site, the Oregonian, and this site as well. Matt Jones went from no named middling lawyer to running for congress on the money he’s made by creating controversy and writing click bait articles just like this one.

• secrick
      2:05 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

We all know that but don’t care. We like a little back and forth. Sit around and agree with everyone is not that much fun.

25. Kat4Life
    3:39 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

He’s the best in the business and it’s not even close.

26. lexcatfan2367
    4:37 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

I didn’t believe any of his apology. As for his justification for 94’, just take the damned equipment to the craft center.

27. CoachCat
    6:15 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

Seems pretty simple to me. Bilas tweeted and added Megan, Erin responded to that tweet. The next tweet by Bilas should have went straight to Erin and Megan saying sorry to the confusion and that it wasn’t directed at them. That’s not what happened. Instead he waits until the next day, goes on a Kentucky talk show, and gives a half hearted apology. If you can even call it that lol. A “My bad, that wasn’t meat towards you girls” tweet would have ended this before it got started

28. mcp157
    6:42 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

The only thing out of line with it all was having Cal’s picture for the article. Calipari’s daughter claiming sexism was off the deep end, If you are male and dispute anything a female says these days it automatically sexism which is total BS.

29. Brad
    6:50 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

Who knew bilas would apologize in the same manner matt Bevin did. You took it the wrong way sorry you took it the wrong way…

30. Racerr11
    7:12 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

Looking to be insulted, you intended it to insult. Your a joke bilas , what a piece of work.

31. notFromhere
    7:50 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

No question he was insulting someone. None whatsoever. Everything he posted from linking the article and the picture was “inartful” and unprofessional.

32. Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
    9:06 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

Now we find out if KSR os actually Dookie central. First all the Duke obsession then they allow Jay to walk out without calling him on his bite me apology. If this is actually a Kentucky Wildcats site/radio station they’ll ban him until he really apologizes.

33. bbn606
    7:34 am February 6, 2019 Permalink

I had to read it twice and still haven’t seen the apology. I have lost all respect for Bilas.