James Wiseman reclassification rumors heat up again

IG: bigticket_j13

IG: bigticket_j13

Just when you thought the 2018 recruiting class was complete and the staff was moving on to 2019, we have more reclassification rumors heating up again.

And they’re centered around a very familiar face.

The No. 1 recruit in the class of 2019, James Wiseman, has been adamant about staying in his original class and being just a kid for one more year. But according to Rivals’ Krysten Peek, whispers are still out there that the 7-footer is contemplating a move to 2018.

And it likely wouldn’t be good news for Kentucky fans.

“There have been some rumors that Wiseman could possibly still reclassify to the 2018 class by the end of the summer. If that’s the case, Penny Hardaway and Memphis have a real shot in landing one of the top forwards in the class. I know Hardaway is close with Wiseman and although Kentucky is still in the race, if the reclassification rumors are true, Memphis could come out on top,” Peek said.

With Reid Travis, PJ Washington, EJ Montgomery, and Nick Richards in the fold, Wiseman’s addition this offseason isn’t necessary for Kentucky anymore. He’d have to stay two years due to his age, and he’d obviously be the star of the show in the frontcourt next season, but the opportunity to play immediately for his former high school coach would likely be more appealing.

According to Peek, a final decision could come at the end of summer.

“Wiseman has done a good job keeping his recruitment under wraps this spring. There will be a lot of attention on him at Peach Jam this weekend and I’m sure we’ll get a better idea of where he stands after this weekend. My guess is he’ll make his choice either by the end of the summer or the start of his senior year if he decides to stay in the 2019 class,” she said.

If you ask Wiseman, however, he’s planning on taking official visits in the fall. And though Kentucky and Memphis are seen as 1A and 1B in his recruitment, the elite big man says other schools have a shot, too.

“Schools still have a chance to get me. It’s not just Kentucky and Memphis. Other schools still have a chance,” Wiseman said.

“During the fall I am going to take five official visits to schools I am interested in,” said Wiseman. “I’ll be looking at the relationship with the coach and teammates, the atmosphere, can I fit into the environment.”

If you’re a Kentucky fan, you hope Wiseman stays in 2019, where there’s a legitimate shot he becomes the anchor of the Wildcat frontcourt and possibly the No. 1 overall draft pick in 2020.

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

10 Comments for James Wiseman reclassification rumors heat up again

1. UKantstopus
    12:15 pm July 14, 2018 Permalink

Not trying to be negative nancy but I feel like this one is slowly slipping away.. hope to be proven wrong…

• Cokely53
      5:11 pm July 14, 2018 Permalink

Gonna have to agree. Things change like crazy in recruiting but out of all the top guys our current chances with all top guys. Sounds like we are in second with everyone. That being said I trust Cal to figure it all out in the end.

• Cincy Cayt
      8:09 pm July 14, 2018 Permalink

I mean, if we’re not getting him, then might as well let him be a one man show in Memphis for one year.

2. runningunnin.454
    12:45 pm July 14, 2018 Permalink

Momma won’t let him cross the street by himself…he’ll stay in Memphis.

3. Alex90
    1:17 pm July 14, 2018 Permalink

The story said there are rumors out there but he has said himself that he is staying put. I’m going to believe him and not a report of rumors about him maybe reclassifying.

4. FlatTopsAndBlockedShots
    1:28 pm July 14, 2018 Permalink

James Wiseman himself, even back in November said “it is not an option” when asked about reclassification. According to TSSAA since he transferred he wasn’t able to take on a larger work load or summer courses in order to be eligible at Memphis East, the NCAA also states that you need to have completed high school, those two things have prevented him from reclassifying. So thanks, I guess, Krysten Peek for being a total waste of time.

5. Headhurts
    2:10 pm July 14, 2018 Permalink

Think this season UK has vs the season Memphis has will slowly begin to make JW see things the UK way.

6. UKLugo
    2:23 pm July 14, 2018 Permalink

I think he reclasses. It just makes too much sense. He just can’t say it or he wouldn’t be able play with is AAU team this summer.. And if he does, he,ll go to Memphis. No problem though. One man can’t make a them contenders. I’d rather have Carey anyways. Just hope Carey doesn’t reclasses too and go to Duke.

7. jaws2
    3:26 pm July 14, 2018 Permalink

So what, Cal can’t get EVERY player; or can he?

8. You Can Call Me Cal
    5:20 pm July 14, 2018 Permalink

Wow bang up recruiting news break there. “Just my gut instinct here, not based on the only two options he has, which he absolutely has to choose from and nothing else, with a timeline that just says the decision will happen thissummer (aka he has to choose to reclassify before he starts senior year, not after that) but I think he’ll do it then.”