James Wiseman enrolled at Memphis East, where he went to school last year

UK target James Wiseman is currently enrolled at Memphis East High School where he attended school his junior season.

You may wonder why this is a big deal, and I’m not so sure it is at this point, but Wiseman had been rumored all summer as potentially transferring to a prep school for his senior year.

We’ve been saying at KSR that odds are Wiseman would stay in Memphis for his senior season, and we still expect that to happen, but just because he’s enrolled does not mean that a prep school is completely out of the picture. If he were still unsure of his plans the logical thing to do would be to enroll at Memphis East. There would be no punishment if he decided to leave and head to a prep school.

But if he were unsure and didn’t enroll for his senior season at Memphis East it would be a headache for him to return and make up the classes he missed depending how long it took him to make that decision. Memphis East started classes this week.

Currently Wiseman is playing in the SC30 Camp in the Bay Area with other 2019 UK targets like Cole Anthony, Scottie Lewis and Jaemyn Brakefield in 2020.

It would be a pretty big blow to Memphis if Wiseman did leave town for his senior year of high school, but if you remember his mom shot down reclassifying rumors because she wanted her son to be with her longer and enjoy the perks of being a senior. Let’s hope longer doesn’t also include a year in college at Memphis.

It’s obviously not great news for the Cats that he will be surrounded by Memphis fans for another eight months. Memphis has plenty of momentum and if Wiseman does indeed turn down the prep school option this won’t slow down the Memphis hype.

UK and John Calipari will have to pull out all the stops to try and secure a commitment.

[mobile_ad]

Article written by TJ Walker

15 Comments for James Wiseman enrolled at Memphis East, where he went to school last year

1. bigcat68
    6:07 pm August 7, 2018 Permalink

Who cares?

2. Chacosrule
    6:20 pm August 7, 2018 Permalink

The writing is on the wall. It’s not happening.

• recliner coach
      7:43 pm August 7, 2018 Permalink

Agree, no sense keeping this story going. The more we fret over him not playing for the C.A.T.S the more it plays into the Memphis non-sense.

• J. Did
      5:43 am August 8, 2018 Permalink

Agreed.

3. Kat4Life
    7:05 pm August 7, 2018 Permalink

If he comes, he comes……not sweating this kid.

4. binarysolo
    7:24 pm August 7, 2018 Permalink

Obviously would love to have him. But as Ben Simmons and Makelle Fultz have demonstrated, you can go play at a smaller program — not even make the tournament — and still get picked #1 in the draft. If playing for a national championship isn’t important, if playing against top competition every day in practice isn’t important, absolutely go to Memphis.

5. bigbluebanana
    8:02 pm August 7, 2018 Permalink

I’m not a recruiting guru. I don’t break down game film, I just enjoy the game. That being said, am I missing something with this kid? I can obviously see he’s good, but to be, this is Skal 2.0, and Skal looked better in high school in my opinion. I haven’t watched him play in person or anything, so I could be way off. Why is he such a huge deal for us when, IMO, he may not even be in the top 10 of bigs we’ve had since Cal got here? Top 10 bigs that actually put on a Kentucky uniform I mean, and I am including Ortin and Kanter.

• Bobbum Man
      8:30 pm August 7, 2018 Permalink

I’ve never really understood either hoenstly… like you said he’s clearly a good player but when I hear #1 recruit I expect something to jump out at me or for the kid to really be special. Who knows maybe he is maybe he’s Tim Duncanesque and just isn’t flashy but If we get him great but I won’t be crushed if we don’t…. id take Carey over wiseman if I had my pick tho

6. jimmer
    8:42 pm August 7, 2018 Permalink

I too would appreciate not hearing about JW every time he sneezes. If it’s big – let’s hear it. Otherwise pump the breaks for a while.

7. KYjellyRoll
    8:43 pm August 7, 2018 Permalink

If his heart isn’t with U.K. Then, by all means, go on elsewhere. Good luck

8. CoachCat
    9:28 pm August 7, 2018 Permalink

I agree. I’m not all in on this kid to begin with. Much less being interested in hearing his every move or thought.

9. satcheluk
    9:40 pm August 7, 2018 Permalink

Lol! So many break up with her before she dumps you chumps on here.

10. rlburd2
    9:51 pm August 7, 2018 Permalink

He gone folks

11. 4everUKblue
    10:01 pm August 7, 2018 Permalink

Of course you know they don’t care what any of us think. Truth is they must be struggling to put any effort into a real story so they just pick one that writes itself.

12. sardiscat
    1:39 pm August 8, 2018 Permalink

Wiseman and his mother have said all along he wanted to play his senior year with his friends in Memphis. Don’t understand why it should come as a surprise he’s going to do exactly what he said he was going to.