Jamal Murray will announce his decision tomorrow at 6 p.m. (For real)

JamalMurray
JamalMurray

JAMAL MURRAY NEWS! JAMAL MURRAY NEWS! JAMAL MURRAY NEWS!

According to the very reliable and not at all shady Paul Biancardi, Jamal Murray will announce his decision tomorrow at 6 p.m. on Canadian sports channel TSN. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me, right? Nope. Biancardi says the news is coming from Murray’s father, Roger.

For what it’s worth, on today’s show, Matt said June 24 was the original date he heard Murray would commit and he’s feeling better about UK’s chances after talking to some people. I’m feeling better knowing that this drama will all be over in about 29 hours.

42 Comments for Jamal Murray will announce his decision tomorrow at 6 p.m. (For real)

1. Jason
    1:30 pm June 23, 2015 Permalink

He’s not coming to Kentucky.

• J-Dub421
      1:34 pm June 23, 2015 Permalink

And you know this how?

• Dangers
      2:07 pm June 23, 2015 Permalink

Yes. We all know that the Crystal Ball is never wrong.

• J-Dub421
      2:20 pm June 23, 2015 Permalink

Yes, and Julius Randle and the Harrisons won’t play together either.

• Miggity Mike
      2:25 pm June 23, 2015 Permalink

• Dude
      2:49 pm June 23, 2015 Permalink

Our boy Jason here likes to show up once and a while, post some stupid shit, then crawl back into the shadows.

• J-Dub421
      2:56 pm June 23, 2015 Permalink

I do not think this means what you think it means.
      Your own link has Jaylen Brown’s crystal ball at 53% Michigan, 35% UK, 5% Cal, and 3% Kansas.

• Miggity Mike
      3:36 pm June 23, 2015 Permalink

Jason said JM isn’t going to UK because Oregon is ranked higher in his Crystal Ball………which would be like saying Jaylen Brown wasn’t going to Cal (which he is) because Michigan was rated highest in his. I don’t see the problem?!?!?

• J-Dub421
      3:46 pm June 23, 2015 Permalink

Sorry Mike, miscommunication. I think you and I are arguing the same point. Jamal Murray is the only one who knows where he’s going, and everyone else is just guessing.

• Miggity Mike
      3:54 pm June 23, 2015 Permalink

Yessir, J_Dub…….my point exactly.

2. SteveM
    1:32 pm June 23, 2015 Permalink

“Feeling better”. what is that supposed to mean?

3. Red River Saga
    1:37 pm June 23, 2015 Permalink

‘Feeling Better’ … I’ll take it.

4. JT
    1:45 pm June 23, 2015 Permalink

“I’m feeling better knowing that this drama will all be over in about 29 hours.”

Agreed. I refuse to chase optimism with any recruit at this stage of this unbelievably bizarre recruiting season. So I’m just going to sit back and let it happen. My assumption will remain that he is not coming. And if he somehow does, I will happily rejoice.

• RUPPS_rhetoric
      3:18 pm June 23, 2015 Permalink

My thoughts exactly

5. Dave
    1:50 pm June 23, 2015 Permalink

Unfortunately with all the recent declinations Im prepared for another 2nd place finish… comparing UK to Oregon is meaningless. All the other schools we lost out to didn’t compare to UK’s illustrious history, It seems as if we’ve had a temporary loss of carma. But we’ll get it back.

• doc
      1:52 pm June 23, 2015 Permalink

If a kid is planning on being in college for one year, does a school’s “illustrious history” matter at all?

• CatsBy80
      2:12 pm June 23, 2015 Permalink

if a kid is planning on being in college for one year, wouldn’t he want a legitimate shot at winning a championship?

6. asdf
    2:16 pm June 23, 2015 Permalink

If the kid is only planning on being in college one year, then he needs to understand that he is going to most likely lower where he is drafted this time next year if he does not go to Kentucky.

All he needs to do is compare draft results for various schools over the past five years. Then the choice will be easy.

• cracka
      2:20 pm June 23, 2015 Permalink

if you pick and choose the results, yeah … we’ve heard about negative recruiting, one thing that may have really hurt us is the twins’ drop over the past couple of years

• Mojo
      2:47 pm June 23, 2015 Permalink

I dunno. Even with the twins averaged in, Cal still gets top-ten players into the lottery at a better percentage than anyone else in college basketball. The twins are the only top-ten kids he’s had at Kentucky who won’t get drafted at a level similar to their high school recruiting ranking. Every other major coach has it happen a third to half the time when they get elite talent. How many of Duke’s 9 McDonald’s All-Americans this year will eventually play pro? Maybe four or five, and that’s about what Coach K averages, around half or a little better. The rest finish and never make the NBA or they transfer for more playing time. But Cal is getting all but one or maybe two of his McDonald’s All-Americans into the league even when he’s having his worst results!

• J-Dub421
      3:04 pm June 23, 2015 Permalink

All I know is Coach Cal is the ONLY current men’s college basketball coach who is averaging his players being lottery picks. (This is among the coaches who have had at least a few 5-stars in their careers, and excludes coaches who’ve only had 1 or so 5-stars which doesn’t provided enough of a sample size.)

• Dude
      3:35 pm June 23, 2015 Permalink

One word for you, asdf: Kansas.

7. C_Cov
    2:23 pm June 23, 2015 Permalink

8. Joe
    2:28 pm June 23, 2015 Permalink

I don’t get why this year’s kids are making crazy decisions. Unfortunately as the generations pass the selflessness that Cal asks for will be harder and harder to find. The interesting part for me is that the number 1 pick is not the guy that goes out and gets 20 a night like these kids think. History has proven the game is changing.

Also, what are the great players of the NBA doing right now? They’re scheming to package with each other. Ala Wade to Cleveland maybe or “the big three”. I don’t get these high school kids. It takes a special kid to come play here because of how we do it, hopefully we don’t start running out of options.

9. scott m
    2:41 pm June 23, 2015 Permalink

What I think people fail to understand is that most of these high school kids have won basketball games wherever they have gone. I can’t claim to know what they are thinking, but it wouldn’t surprise if many of these guys who chose to go to a big 5 conference school but isn’t one that is a traditional power, IE Mississippi state, UNLV, Cal, etc probably truly believe that they are talented enough that with some returning help or maybe another talented recruit they have the ability to win a national title, show case themselves, and get drafted highly. This doesn’t mean they are right or wrong, or even egotistical… they’ve just won their entire lives.

And I think people don’t truly understand how little high school BBall players watch of college. They are busy playing basketball, practicing, just busy with life. Genuinely I think very few players actually watch much if any college basketball. Really the only thing they know is the few blips they see on sportscenter every couple of days. So I think in general they just don’t often know what kind of roster or situation they are stepping into, whether thats at a big or small school. Really all they have to go off is what the coaches have told them.

IE, in this case I could totally see oregon’s pitch being, we nearly beat Wisconsin which went to the national title game… we’re one player away from being a title contender. Maybe Murray, or any other recruit watches a ton of college bball, but again I don’t think they do. So if they just saw a box score, heard a recruiting pitch its totally believable that they think they can win a title at oregon just as well as at UK.

I’m not saying I believe this… I obviously think murray in this case has a much better chance of winning a title at UK than Oregon, and its not even close. But I could see where he, or any other recruit myight think differently.

• Bleed Blue
      3:17 pm June 23, 2015 Permalink

You honestly don’t think that when these kids pick schools they don’t know who is still on the roster? Give me a break and quit trying to make excuses for these retarded kids. That’s the point in taking visits and why so many of the top players wait till late in the spring to decide. Murray knows damn well which team will be better next year.

• scott m
      6:07 pm June 23, 2015 Permalink

I hope he picks UK, but just because a 17 or 18yr old kid doesn’t pick 1 school out of 351 division 1 schools doesn’t make them retarded.

If they pick UK awesome, if they don’t thats fine. Wish them the best and be happy with the team we have. I hate to see UK fans especially, but any college fans bash kids for a school selection. Its absolutely unnecessary and absurd.

10. John
    3:13 pm June 23, 2015 Permalink

If you looked at the crystal ball yesterday AM you would realize that all of these people changed their vote to Oregon yesterday in attempt to be “right” based on the Canadian sportswriters incorrect information.

• Bleed Blue
      3:19 pm June 23, 2015 Permalink

Precisely. They can’t admit that they are wrong or don’t know, instead they still have to make it seem like they were in the know this whole time, bunch of losers is what they are.

11. Mudslide
    3:39 pm June 23, 2015 Permalink

You guys and your egocentric whining should cease. You’re beginning to sound like grade schoolers who had their blanky taken away. Murray, and all recruits, have weighed their options and have their own individual GOOD reasons for going to the school of their choice. Kindly give the guys your best wishes wherever they choose to go…even if it’s not your school.

12. catman83
    4:17 pm June 23, 2015 Permalink

Don’t waste your time. I agree with Jason he’s not comin to Kentucky.

13. SteveM
    4:45 pm June 23, 2015 Permalink

Maybe it just comes down to the fact he’s rather live for a year in Oregon rather than Kentucky

14. Byron Schneider
    5:49 pm June 23, 2015 Permalink

The announcement time is posted on the website for TSN now

15. Stephen
    6:14 pm June 23, 2015 Permalink

His two most recent follows on Twitter are Dominique Hawkins and Dakari Johnson

• Mrs. Tyler Thompson
      6:22 pm June 23, 2015 Permalink

I wouldn’t read too much into that…he followed them back when he visited, so it’s not a recent development.

16. Insider
    6:20 pm June 23, 2015 Permalink

Since Cal has failed to deliver most of his high end talent to CAA, Wes has moved on. Wes is now sending top players to other Nike Schools. Coach K’s top players are signing with CAA left and right.

• UKALLDAY
      6:35 pm June 23, 2015 Permalink

Your logic is a little off base, I agree that World Wide might be sending talent to other Nike schools, dunno if it’s because UK players aren’t going to CAA. Karl Towns and Devin Booker just signed with them. It’s something with Coach Cal, there is something that they are saying about him that is steering these kids away. I doubt Murray comes as well.

17. Jbird
    7:17 pm June 23, 2015 Permalink

Maybe some of the recruits we have missed on read Cal’s comment about wanting to coach LeBron. That comment and the continual reports about the LeBron /Cavalier coach discord sure give our rivals some negative recruiting ammo. Cal was responsible for that material. If the Cavs finally resolve their Coach situation our recruiting success will return , unless Cal takes the Cavilier job.

18. jwild
    8:45 pm June 23, 2015 Permalink

Chris Fisher Chris Fisher Recruiting Insider CatsPause Follow on Twitter OregonORE 6/23/15 9:29AM
    Nick Burch Nick Burch Contributor InsideTheVille OregonORE 6/23/15 10:41AM
    Andrew Slater Andrew Slater Duke Insider BlueDevilLair Follow on Twitter OregonORE 6/23/15 12:57PM
    Alec Kinsky Alec Kinsky EYBL Recruiting Analyst D1 Circuit OregonORE 6/23/15 1:38PM
    Jack LeGwin Jack LeGwin Recruiting Writer Zags Blog OregonORE 6/23/15 7:29PM

19. Ky_Tom
    9:53 pm June 23, 2015 Permalink

I’d like to add my 2 cents worth in here…You have to think, if the kid is for real, and He is putting His best chance at making it to the NBA in where he plays….. Then You’d think the percentages for that plays into Kentucky signing the kid…However, sometime the percentages do not always play out like they should. I look at things like this.. Once the news got out there about…There was a slim chance in Coach Cal leaving, I think it really hurt in this years recruiting in my opinion. UK missed out a more than I can recall Cal losing in one recruiting season… .Also you have to think other coaches used this against Coach Cal in the recruiting wars.. That and Cal playing the platoon system , other coaches can use that as well, saying things like…”””If You “‘ go to Kentucky, Your playing time will be limited and lesser skilled player will get Your Playing Time on court…..All of these things add up to doubt in a young kids mind.. Its just takes a little bit of that doubt to send a kid looking at other places…I know Coach Cal tried to come out against His leaving, but let face the facts here..HE did not make a big deal out of that..Just saying stuff in a joking manor in just about every news cast I seen of him when He was questioned about leaving…Why…Because I believe Coach Cal really was giving it some serous thought, and I still have a little doubt in his answers..I just have to hope he stay for another few years, because I know and understand the day will come, When He does walk away…I just hate it that other schools use that issue against UK in the recruiting…They did this same stuff under Pitino , it was every year, or when a NBA coach was fired…So why should Cal be treated any different …