Jamal Murray and Karl Towns on KSR! (Thursday Show Thread)

Screen Shot 2015-06-25 at 8.08.15 AMScreen Shot 2015-06-25 at 8.10.37 AM

Good morning, and welcome to the DRAFT DAY EDITION of Kentucky Sports Radio. Matt was supposed to be in New York for tonight’s Draft, but had a last minute scheduling conflict, so today’s show is coming to you live from the trusty Louisville studios. And boy do we have a lot to talk about.

JAMAL MURRAY will call in to the show at some point to discuss his decision to become a Wildcat, and even though today’s probably the busiest day of his life, KARL TOWNS has agreed to come on the show at 10:30 a.m. Just another reason why we love him.

**POLL QUESTION OF THE DAY**

online survey

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Here’s an updated list of tour stops. We’re still finalizing a few, so be sure to check back as the week goes on.

June 29: Shelbyville — Stonecrest Family Medicine

August 7: Monticello — Conley Bottom Resort

August 10: Frankfort — Governor’s Mansion
August 11: Maysville — Laurel Oaks Golf Course
August 12: Danville — Sun Tropic Outdoors
August 13: Lexington — All Sports at Fayette Mall
August 14: Louisville gotc-ksr

GuyOnTheCornerTickets.com is giving away UK basketball and football tickets at every tour stop this summer. That’s 33 chances to win, and all you have to do is come out to listen to your favorite radio show. That’s so easy even Ryan Lemond could do it!

69 Comments for Jamal Murray and Karl Towns on KSR! (Thursday Show Thread)

1. Big Curt
    9:46 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

GO CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bring on # 9!!

• Big Curt
      9:48 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

I must say I am excited about Murray picking the Cats. I didn’t feel too confident after the show yesterday. Glad the crystal ball was wrong! lol

• Big Curt
      10:04 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

I also can’t believe I beat UK_JB today. haha
      Made my day. 😉

• UK_JB
      10:08 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

After 4 years of time being at 9:55 and I have Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver and After Effect going so I couldn’t do anything. I’ll get you tomorrow.

• Big Curt
      10:16 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

I don’t expect to repeat, just that it happened once….. haha

2. UK_JB
    9:49 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

Yesterday was a pretty good day for UK! I was really shocked. Uncle matt you had me thinking he wasn’t picking UK.

• Big Curt
      9:53 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

My sentiments exactly. This may be one of the “facts are optional” situations (lol) but really nobody knew for sure what he was going to do. But you’re right, Matt had me doubting yesterday as well. No worries now, though. 🙂

GO CATS!!

• UK_JB
      10:12 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

For sure man… it was worth it!

3. ukjaybrat
    9:57 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

So after losing out on what seemed like every recruit and some people starting to think Cal had lost “it” … whatever “it” was that helped him recruit that top talent and get every player every year. It’s the end of june and we once again have the nation’s #1 recruiting class and will entire next year as the pre-season number 1 team.

Why would anyone ever doubt Cal ?

10:10 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

We have the #1 recruiting class, all is right with the world.

• inside info2
      10:33 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

Let’s be careful with the “#1 recruiting class again” talk please. We DO NOT have the #1 recruiting class according to the top 2 recruiting analysis websites. I always ask myself, “would we make fun of UL if they did/said this?”. In this case I think the answer is yes, we would make fun of them for claiming the top class if the top 2 sites did not have us as 1st.

• ukjaybrat
      10:42 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

I dunno, I would consider 24/7 top 3 as far as recruiting sites go. We don’t have the “unanimous” #1 class, but we have ‘A’ #1 recruiting class. It’s not exactly a throw in your face kind of achievement. but it’s still worth mentioning.

in the end, i think we can agree that this class is a lot better than the doom and gloom that people were making it out to be up until yesterday.

10:43 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

At least one of those 2 sites hasn’t updated to include Murray. We now have 3 5-stars who are in the top 12 of the class.

• Mxyzptlk
      10:48 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

Who cares if our class is ranked # 1, when anyone can see that ours is objectively better than anyone else’s? The rankings are weighted in favor of having larger classes, so Duke might win on points because they have six recruits instead of five, but we still have the # 1 guys in three positions. No one can equal that.

4. realme
    10:02 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

All these comments that I agree with make me miss the Like button.

• realme
      10:03 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

Also: WOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate to hurry summer, but I am ready for the fb & bb seasons to start.

10:09 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

Weird, I still have the like button.

• realme
      10:16 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

Strange. I haven’t had it (on my work computer in Chrome) since the comment sections stopped working a couple weeks ago.

• ukjaybrat
      10:20 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

i never really liked the like button anyway. you can see how much other people have been liked, but you have no idea if anyone liked your comment aside form whether or not you’re getting positive comments. I could have dropped the best mic drop comment in the world and gotten a million likes and would never have known.

10:21 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

Do you login with a password like you did before? I still click login over in the column on the right.

10:23 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

@ukjaybrat, you could only tell if you got more than 5 “likes” because it would bold your comment, but I agree it’s annoying that you can’t see how many likes you get.

• Realme
      10:30 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

Can’t seem to log in, but oh well. Like you all pointed out, people don’t know I’m liking their comment unless 4 other people do to. 🙂

• ukjaybrat
      10:34 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

AH, i logged in, and there’s the like button. i had never logged in since the comments went back to the way they were.

5. KevinM
    10:13 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

Guys, the next KSR t-shirt…………….Chasing 9………drop the mic!

Today’s show could be ranked in the all time ratings for KSR.

6. Big Curt
    10:15 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

I just thought of something—-
    How fun is this team going to be considering the shot clock cut to 30 seconds?? Run ‘n gun anyone?

• ukjaybrat
      10:22 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

Depends on how athletic skal is. If he’s conditioned enough to keep up with the guards and still get back on defense, then yes, we can be a real run and gun team.
      (and/or if marcus lee off the bench is playing at a level where he can give skal substantial time to rest)

7. J-Dub421
    10:19 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

I have a topic for discussion, and I would love others opinions.

Why does it seem like injuries or prior injuries only affect the draft stock of UK players?

For example, Nerlens, Randle, and now Willie have all seen their draft stock dip because of “concerns” about some injury. Meanwhile Kyrie Irving (Duke) still went #1 even though he was injured most of his one season in college, Joel Embiid (Kansas) still went #3, Blake Griffin still went #1 despite being injured.

• Realme
      10:30 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

I’ve wondered that too. Makes no sense.

10:38 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

I read yesterday that Mudiay was injured for a fair chunk of his time in China, and it doesn’t seem to have hurt his draft stock either. I just don’t understand why this seems to only be an issue for our guys.

8. Blasphemy
    10:21 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

Matt, what do you think about a small ball “platoon” ?(question mark) 6 small guys, 4 big guys….. Ullis Murray, Matthews, Mulder, Briscoe, Hawkins and Poythress, Lee, Labisiere, Willis.

• ukjaybrat
      10:24 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

I don’t think anyone wants to hear the word platoon ever again. Hawkins and Willis will get very little time and Mulder and Lee will be contributing backup role players

• Blasphemy
      10:27 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

Notice the quotation marks around the word. Call it what you will. It also doesn’t have to be equal playing times. But mass substitutions is not a bad thing, and this team could do it, in theory. It is a valid question.

10:32 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

If we play as fast as I think we’re going to, we’ll have to sub a fair amount.

• Mxyzptlk
      10:49 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

DON’T USE THE “P” WORD ANYWHERE A RECRUIT MIGHT HEAR IT!!!!!!!!!

• Blasphemy
      10:53 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

LOUDDDDD

9. C Ray
    10:21 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

I haven’t been this excited about a Canadian signing since Sheray Thomas chose us over Winnipeg Prep School!!!!!

10. realme
    10:24 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

I hope the new football commit plays as scary as he looks. No one would mess with him.

11. Laker Cat 18
    10:25 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

Of course I’m looking forward to watching KAT go #1, but I voted for Aaron in the poll. He’s the only one that isn’t a lock to be drafted. I hope it happens for him.

• hater
      10:33 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

Yep ^^^^

10:34 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

Even if Aaron doesn’t get taken in the draft, I think a team will pick him up.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:54 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

That’s true, but it would have to suck to see all your buddies and your brother get drafted and you not get drafted too.

10:58 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

It would potentially give him a little control and the ability to choose a team/situation where he’ll fit best.

12. Ukbradstith
    10:34 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

My wife already bought tickets for the yum center next year, so they are out there for sale but I’m sure will be gone quickly.

10:39 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

Wait, for the regional in the tournament?

13. inside info2
    10:37 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

How exactly is “platoon” being used negatively by other schools in recruiting? We are going to have at least 5 players drafted, one of them likely being the #1 pick, 2 more in the lottery, and 2 more being drafted mainly because they went to UK and had exposure? Who at UK that is being drafted was negatively effected by being platooned?

10:40 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

Other coaches are dangling playing time in front of recruits and telling them they won’t have to sacrifice minutes like they will at UK.

• ukjaybrat
      10:52 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

j-dub, which is kind of a dumb argument if you ask me. i don’t remember being that ignorant in high school… why would they care how much playing time they get as long as they have a shot at a title and get drafted. most of our recruits had just that every just about year.

• Mxyzptlk
      10:53 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

From what I’ve seen on some other team’s message boards, they’ve been using the twin’s slippage in the draft projections to argue that they suffered because they had to split playing time with Ulis and Booker, which I think is crazy because Andrew is about where he was last season, maybe a little better, and Aaron only slipped because he went into a shooting slump late and still hasn’t recovered, apparently. But anyway, that’s what other teams are supposedly saying…

10:54 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

Agreed, I think it’s stupid and short-sighted, but it’s worked for at least a few recruits. I think they’ll regret it later, but some people want instant gratification and want to be a big fish in a small pond and take all the shots. Quite frankly, if that’s how they think, we don’t really want them anyway.

14. Jd
    10:41 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

I kept waiting for Julie from Minnesota to say “Don’t ya know?” like the mom from Bobby’s World.

15. PatGLex
    10:49 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

Do you really think that the “macaroni and cheese cupcakes” are a cake-y cupcake??? Come on. It’s just going to be macaroni & cheese in a cupcake liner with breadcrumbs on top, and baked in the oven until it’s bonded enough to keep its shape.

As a former Minnesota resident — don’t diss the state fair. It is awesome. It beats the KY State Fair hands down.

16. Blasphemy
    10:49 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

I was thinking Jamal Murray would be on line 3 for a moment……

17. Tomas
    10:52 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

I got nervous at about 6:10 yesterday and decided to follow Matt’s lead and jumped in the shower and followed along on twitter. Does the mean I need to be in the shower for every recruiting announcement now?

• ukjaybrat
      10:53 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

• Big Curt
      10:54 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

As Matt would say, you have answered your own question, considering the outcome. lol

18. Mxyzptlk
    10:57 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

Next year’s team will be impossible to press because three guys can handle it like a PG, and teams will have to pick their poison in guarding us! The lineup will be reminiscent of the 1997 team with Mercer and Anderson on opposite wings. Defenses couldn’t cheat to either side, and this will be the same way. And both wings will be able to hit the jumper or drive. I wouldn’t want to have to defend this bunch!

11:01 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

3? Try 5-6! Hawkins and Matthews can handle the ball and pass well. I’m betting Mulder will too. We are going to be guard rich this season. I can’t wait!

• Mxyzptlk
      1:17 pm June 25, 2015 Permalink

One of our weaknesses last season was that although we had unprecedented size for a college team, that made us a step slot at times defensively when certain lineups were in. That won’t be an issue next season!

• ukjaybrat
      1:45 pm June 25, 2015 Permalink

THIS !!! one hundred times, THIS … it’s been said a lot in the last few years that guards win championships. we saw it with duke, we saw it with uconn the year before, uconn in 2011, etc etc… we are HEAVY at the guard position this year. hopefully that translates well toward the trend

19. Big Curt
    11:11 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

I have to say this is probably the most comments we’ve had on here in a while. A welcome change……

20. tombanjo
    11:17 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

did murray say cal told him he would play point? thought he told ulis he was designing the team around him?

• Realme
      11:20 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

Cal’s big theme right now is “positionless players”. They and Briscoe will all be handling the ball. Hopefully Ulis is still the General, because I’d like to see his bulldog attitude be taken on by the whole team.

• tombanjo
      11:36 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

will be interesting.

21. Big Curt
    11:20 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

The iHeart feed on 1080 made me laugh out loud with the commercial they just ran. Matt’s voice was sped up and he almost sounded like a chipmunk. hahaha

• Big Curt
      11:37 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

Shannon the Dude’s spot, too. haha
      too funny…….

22. J-Dub421
    11:50 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

Is it bad that I’m giggling at the thought of U of L getting in trouble with the state auditor?

• realme
      11:56 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

You are far from the only one.

23. realme
    11:57 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

Karl is such a beautiful human it makes you want to cry.

24. Matt
    4:51 pm June 25, 2015 Permalink

I still wonder why Aaron Harrison thinks it was a good idea for him to declare for the NBA D-League?