Jamal Mashburn Jr. set to decide between Minnesota and California

PHOTO: @CityOfPalmsBKB

PHOTO: @CityOfPalmsBKB

Could another Mashburn be coached by another Pitino?

It’s certainly a possibility.

2020 four-star guard Jamal Mashburn Jr. is currently on an official visit to Minnesota and will decide between the Golden Gophers and the Cal-Berkeley Golden Bears in the coming weeks. Should he commit to Minnesota, Mashburn will play for Richard Pitino, son of former Kentucky head coach coach Rick Pitino.

“With Richard Pitino, there’s obviously a family-type bond to that,” Mashburn said, via StarTribune.com. “The first official visit was good. I saw everything I wanted to see and that I wanted to hear. The second official visit is I’m getting close to making my decision. I want to make sure I have everything in the right line. And make sure I’m making the right decision possible. If I have to take two visits to a specific university just to make sure, I’ll do that. It’s my future on the line.”

Former Kentucky star Jamal Mashburn Sr. played under Rick Pitino from 1990-93, where the 6-foot-8 forward averaged 18.8 points, 7.8 rebounds, and 2.2 assists per contest over three seasons. In 1993, Mashburn was a consensus First Team All-American and SEC Player of the Year, where he also helped lead the Wildcats to the Final Four of the NCAA Tournament.

Mashburn Jr., a 6-foot-2 senior from Brewster Academy, is considered a consensus top-100 prospect and the No. 84 overall recruit by 247Sports.

At the NBPA Top 100 Camp in Charlottesville, VA, the four-star 2020 prospect told KSR that neither Kentucky nor the new coaching staff at Louisville had reached out, though he would have been intrigued by both if they expressed serious interest.

In terms of Kentucky specifically, he said he appreciated Calipari’s ability to put players in the NBA.

“I mean, they’re a great program,” Mashburn Jr. said. “It’s SEC competition. Coach Calipari, he gets pros. He gets people in the NBA. Overall, it’s just a great program.”

Instead of playing at his father’s alma mater, it looks like there is a solid chance he ends up playing for the son of his father’s former coach.

(StarTribune.com)

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

11 Comments for Jamal Mashburn Jr. set to decide between Minnesota and California

1. mashman 93
    6:13 pm October 5, 2019 Permalink

Happy for the young man I do hope he chooses Minnesota and plays for Richard Pitino. Jamal Mashburn is and always will be my favorite Kentucky player and I still am confused as to why he didn’t attend the Utah game at Rupp last year when the 1993 final four team was honored. He sent no video either. GO CATS!!

• terwilliger
      6:50 pm October 5, 2019 Permalink

He loves RP.

• Elvis Is Alive
      8:37 pm October 5, 2019 Permalink

Mashburn, And Rick Pitino are business partners along with Rick Avar – in the company MAP. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Mash Jr plays for little Rick

2. JASUN74
    9:38 pm October 5, 2019 Permalink

It’s going to take a couple years, but this kid will be a hell of a player by the time he’s a junior and senior. We only have ten players every year anyway and I just don’t understand why Cal doesn’t try to get kids like this that can develop, become really good and contribute as they get older. It’s just hard to understand not filling the scholarships every year and give the top 50-100 kind of kids an opportunity to play for Kentucky. If nothing else but to have some experience and older guys who will have some excitement on the bench.

I’ve always been in the group who would love to get at least one Ky kid every year. At most you’d have four kids on the team who bleeds blue and white. We always have a few kids who turn out to be pretty dang good players and blah, blah, blah! Lol. I know I’m rambling, but I think it should be a state law!! I’m only joking about the law but I want more Kentucky on this team. I do love Dontaie and when he gets healthy, I really believe he’s going to help us this year. He’s a bucket, as the kids say nowadays!

• JASUN74
      9:41 pm October 5, 2019 Permalink

Oh. Yeah, To the azzholes, of course I know this kid isn’t from Kentucky. So no need to try and act like a big shot after you’ve waited all day to correct someone. My post stands

• DelrayCat
      11:03 pm October 5, 2019 Permalink

I’ve been saying this for years. It is absolutely indefensible to leave 2-3 unfilled scholarships EVERY SINGLE YEAR.

• JASUN74
      11:08 pm October 6, 2019 Permalink

Agree 100% Delray cat! Like I said just one Ky kid, ( mind you a really good basketball player), a year and we’d have a max of four players filled. He leaves that many sometimes. Lol. It could make a huge difference in practice and the overall positivity of the team. Just my opinion of course.

3. Trueblue44
    10:52 pm October 5, 2019 Permalink

Mash is my fave all-time, still bothers me he isn’t around the program much. Dude was an absolute monster and one of the greatest ever here, UK needs to bring him around the program

• mashburnfan1
      1:35 am October 6, 2019 Permalink

and he came here when all other top guys were running because of our probation. He helped Rick get UK back to elite quickly and we should all be forever thankful this guy played for UK. Nothing but class on and off the court. Shame he had so many injuries in the NBA as he would have been an all time great.

• 4everUKblue
      1:09 pm October 6, 2019 Permalink

The real shame is you using his name while criticizing and spewing lies about Cal and the program. You on the other hand show no class at any time the basketball threads.

4. CrystalBall
    5:24 pm October 6, 2019 Permalink

He is a 6’2″ shooting guard with limited point guard abilities.