2019 five-star power forward Jaden McDaniels has never been one to eat up attention or go out of his way to make headlines for anything outside of basketball. Even when it comes to basketball, he doesn’t like talking about his recruitment, he doesn’t goof off around his teammates, and he really doesn’t try to be flashy.

He goes about his business, makes as much of an impact on the court as he can, and moves on. Nothing more, nothing less.

At the Jordan Brand Classic Media Day, reporters huddled around McDaniels to ask the ever-popular question about his recruitment: When is a decision coming and where will that be?

Even with the signing period opening on April 17, the 6-foot-11 forward is still more than willing to push it all the way to the May 15 deadline in a little less than a month.

I’m still just taking my time and taking it slow,” he told KSR this afternoon.

Other than the obvious required signing deadline in May, is there any personal deadline or or specific timetable on the table to make a final decision?

“No, I really don’t…” he said.

A man of many words, he is not.

When asked if he had an update on his final five schools or wanted to cut his list even further before making a decision, McDaniels said he didn’t and that he was pretty content with those five.

The final schools in contention? Kentucky, Washington, San Diego State, Texas, and UCLA.

“Coach Cal, he’s a real good dude,” McDaniels said of his significant interest in Kentucky. “He doesn’t tell you what you want to hear, he just keeps it real.”

As for the hometown Washington Huskies, the perceived co-favorite with the Wildcats, the five-star forward said that playing in front of his friends and family is definitely a positive for him.

“With Washington, there’s nothing better than being at home,” he said. “I have a really good relationship with (assistant coach Will) Conroy, love the staff there.”

For Texas, the draw there is to play for head coach Shaka Smart.

“Texas, I had a real good time there on my visit,” he said. “(Shaka) Smart, he’s not going to tell you what you want to hear, he’s going to get on you too.”

With his brother, Jalen, playing for San Diego the last two years, he said that he’s very comfortable with the Aztecs because he has visited there so many times.

“San Diego State, it’s like a big family because my brother went there,” he said. “I always go down there to visit and stuff. I feel like I’m comfortable there too.”

While the first four schools McDaniels rattled off each seemed to be in solid position, his thoughts on UCLA really didn’t seem to indicate they had much of a shot at all.

“And then UCLA, I had a good relationship with Steve Alford, but he’s not there anymore unfortunately…” he said. “But they’re still in my five.”

After competing in the Jordan Brand Classic tomorrow, McDaniels will then head to Philadelphia next weekend to compete in the Iverson Classic, his final high school event of his career.

From there, McDaniels will head home and come up with a plan moving forward over the next few weeks. As much as he’s wanting to wait it out and make a decision at the last possible minute, the clock is ticking.

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

14 Comments for Jaden McDaniels remains patient with recruiting process, undecided on decision date

1. Bigblue7982
    8:07 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

Going to Washington wants to stay on the perimeter.

• Bobbum Man
      8:52 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

Source?

• nocode96
      9:19 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

Dude doesn’t have one, it’s just his opinion, though I’m sure he will jump on here and respond to your question so he can use it as an attack on Cal, and to throw praise at K. You already know the regurgitated points: Cal didn’t win it every year, some higher recruits pick dUKe, players leaving too soon, yada, yada, yada. Rinse, and repeat. They’re not even worth arguing anymore, their talking points have become boring. Yawn.

2. Nickerbocker05
    8:39 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

Man we really could make this kid a STAR!

3. Nickerbocker05
    8:40 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

6’11 forward that can handle AND shoot PLUS POST! Cal could make him the #1 pick of next years draft

4. dismore
    9:15 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

Washington

5. krautdog
    9:45 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

Now this kid looks & talks like Coach Cal’s kinda player. Come on board big fella.

6. NUM1UKFANFROMTHEVILLE
    9:53 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

I do believe it’s close, but ask me today and I believe he chooses Washington. He just said theirs nothing better than playing for the home team, they have a good recruiting class and finished the year in the top 25. He could make Washington the best team they ever had and idk if Cal can convince him he will be the centerpiece like Washington. He needs to be. #1 pick skillset that Cal thrives with

7. michaelb
    10:50 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

Cal doesn’t know what to do with big men that have a face up game . I’m not a cal hater but he litteraly doesn’t get the most out of that arch type of a player . There’s a list of guys as proof . He takes them out of their element because defense and rebounding are such huge items .

• BCO
      10:52 am April 20, 2019 Permalink

PJ Washington?

• michaelb
      2:43 pm April 20, 2019 Permalink

Kyle wiltjer, ej is face up but he’s making him play post. Ty winyard & so on

8. Wade
    11:50 am April 20, 2019 Permalink

Washington will be good with him Stewart and quade if they have a shooter and a lock down defender that can attack that’s gonna be a good team. I’d go there if I was in his shoes. I don’t think uk is for him but idk maybe he sees 1 yr with cal can make him a lottery pick.

9. Carcrook
    1:17 pm April 20, 2019 Permalink

Why? To be such a shy person, he’s eating this up!

10. BigJohnC
    1:36 pm April 20, 2019 Permalink

I believe he is too shy for UK. I hope he comes on but not expecting it. Best wishes either way