It’s your favorite time of day! (Thursday Show Thread)

ksr-logo

Time to tune in to today’s edition of Kentucky Sports Radio! Today, Matt, Ryan, and Shannon will break down the news of the day, preview Saturday’s game at Texas A&M, and look ahead to the SEC Tournament, which is less than a week away (eek!). Also, did you hear Louisville lost?

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

affiliate-list

63 Comments for It’s your favorite time of day! (Thursday Show Thread)

1. ukjaybrat
    10:03 am March 2, 2017 Permalink

so i know all the details aren’t in place just yet but any idea when KSR will release a schedule of events for next weekend?

2. runningunnin.454
    10:16 am March 2, 2017 Permalink

Can’t say SEC or Final Four; ha ha.
    But did you know the NCAA has to pay the KHSAA to use the term, “Sweet Sixteen”.
    The Kentucky Boys State Basketball Tournament has been called the Sweet Sixteen since the ’20’s or 30’s.

3. RealCatsFan
    10:21 am March 2, 2017 Permalink

I get so sick of all the corporate protectionism gobbledygook. Bunch of old dudes in suits making life hard for regular people to keep their gravy train rolling.

OK, off my soapbox now!

• ukjaybrat
      10:37 am March 2, 2017 Permalink

it’s one thing if you created something special and other people are making money off of you. but god forbid someone say the word super bowl that doesn’t have rights to it that particular year

• runningunnin.454
      10:51 am March 2, 2017 Permalink

Don’t know if Cowherd listened to our “Coward of the County”; but did we have to pay Kenny Rogers?

4. RealCatsFan
    10:23 am March 2, 2017 Permalink

The first two weeks of the NCAA Tourney (can I say this?) will be even crazier than normal. Lots of surprises will come, lots of top teams will go down; hope the Cats manage to be immune from it all!

• J-Dub421
      10:35 am March 2, 2017 Permalink

I know we’re all going to be reaching for the bourbon or pepto bismol because our team loves to spot our opponents a lead and come from behind.

• RealCatsFan
      10:43 am March 2, 2017 Permalink

Or maybe both – at the same time! Like the detective in Cape Fear. ๐Ÿ™‚

Warning – ends with graphic violence!

• runningunnin.454
      10:45 am March 2, 2017 Permalink

Crazy year; no dominate teams, but a bunch of really good teams. I watched Marquette last night…wow, they are a match up nightmare for a lot of teams.

• J-Dub421
      10:51 am March 2, 2017 Permalink

There are quite a few teams that have a legit shot at winning the title this year. My list is: UCLA, Kansas, UNC, WVU, Villanova, and of course our fabulous team. That’s my short list of top contenders anyway. There are other teams that could win though.

• RealCatsFan
      10:55 am March 2, 2017 Permalink

If the Cats can’t win it, then I am all in behind one of the teams that hasn’t won many titles, like ‘Nova was last year. I could stomach someone like WVU winning it, but not UCLA, UNC, Kansas, and ESPECIALLY NOT DUKE!

• ^^^THIS RCF^^^

I don’t want ANYONE that has 5 or 11 winning it. I’m more okay with KU because they have 3 I think, and because they gave us Rupp. I was SO glad when Nova hit that shot last year. Just think how close UNC was to #6, and they’re within 2 of us.

5. UKrailbird
    10:24 am March 2, 2017 Permalink

Matt, you need to get over your “baseball phobia”. In your case, the phobia is manifesting itself because of your lack of technical understanding of the game and what is required to play it at the highest level.

• runningunnin.454
      10:31 am March 2, 2017 Permalink

Baseball has been around since the 1840’s. The guy credited with “inventing” the game, Abner Doublday, was a Civil War hero, firing the first shot in the defense of Fort Sumpter.
      I think baseball, like rock ‘n roll, is here to stay.

• I’m a Reds fan, but I admit I think the game is too slow. I’m glad they’re trying to speed the game up, but I don’t know about some of their moves. That pitch clock sounds kind of kooky, but maybe it’ll work.

• RealCatsFan
      10:57 am March 2, 2017 Permalink

I think you should be allowed to tackle a baserunner instead of tagging him out. ๐Ÿ™‚

• How about throwing at his head? Ha!

• runningunnin.454
      11:20 am March 2, 2017 Permalink

Saw a game once, don’t remember who, ….when the fielder tried to tag the runner; the ball stuck in the runner’s back pocket. The baserunner ran all the way home; but, they limited him to a ground rule double like when the ball disappears in the ivy at Wrigley.

6. RealCatsFan
    10:27 am March 2, 2017 Permalink

I need to find some footage of Derek not being able to punch through his hoop. Bet the guys were razzing him about it in the locker room! Reminds me of the “space pod” scene from the movie “Spinal Tap”. ๐Ÿ˜€

• 2Dogs
      1:14 pm March 2, 2017 Permalink

Props to any Spinal Tap reference.

7. Realme
    10:32 am March 2, 2017 Permalink

If you DON’T hate Louisville, I question your Ky fandom.

• runningunnin.454
      10:35 am March 2, 2017 Permalink

Dan Dakich: “bunch of crazy people hating each other”. Yep, Dan, that’s what a rivalry is.

• J-Dub421
      10:38 am March 2, 2017 Permalink

I am so sick of supposed fans sticking up for Pitino. Did he or did he not flip off our fan base? Pitino throws shade at UK all the time and got a U of L tattoo; he’s fully gone over to the dark side now.

• ukjaybrat
      10:41 am March 2, 2017 Permalink

thank you. those “fans” are all like “remember what he did for us in the 90s?”
      well yeah, but remember what he’s done to us lately? get out of your time machine and let reality sink in. pitino despises uk and their fans as much as we despise him.

• Wimp Sanderson was on one of the local sports programs down here in Bama recently and he mentioned that Rick flipped off the Bama fans once. It’s not quite the same as flipping off your own former fans, but I had never heard that.

• Realme
      10:44 am March 2, 2017 Permalink

It’s fine to make the argument that we should appreciate what he did for UK. He’s not the same guy now, so no likability points there.
      But many of the fans, and the program and much of the Louisville media is insufferable with or without Pitino. If you wish them well, you can only be a casual UK fan, imo. Not a genuine “bleeds blue” BBN member.

• J-Dub421
      10:46 am March 2, 2017 Permalink

Not only that, but people act like we’re the only fan base to hate a former coach now. We’re not. Ask a Memphis fan how they feel about Coach Cal. Or ask a Kansas fan how they feel about Roy Williams, or ask an LSU fan how they feel about Nick Saban.

• You’re right J-Dub & ukjay. I don’t hate the man, and I do still appreciate what he did for UK, but I’ve typed this a million times here:

If, when he took the UL job, he had simply said “I know some UK fans won’t like this, and I can understand why, but I have to do what’s best for my family”, instead of saying “A bunch of small minded people won’t like it” like he did, he would have mitigated a lot of ill feelings, even if he didn’t mean it.

• RealCatsFan
      10:47 am March 2, 2017 Permalink

I respect Pitino as a coach, and I am glad that he brought UK back to prominence. I don’t “hate” him or UofL, but I’ll put it this way – I sure don’t get upset at a UofL loss like I do after UK drops one. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I think Pitino just kind of “tolerated” the UK fans, while Cal truly embraces them, even the crazy ones. Pitino kind of looked down on a lot of the fan base, IMO.

• RCF, that is EXACTLY why he said what he did when he took the UL job IMO.

• J-Dub421
      10:57 am March 2, 2017 Permalink

Pitino has had multiple opportunities to be gracious and mitigate some of the venom between him and UK, he hasn’t taken a single one of those opportunities unless there was some benefit to him (like when he went on Cal’s podcast).

• Laker Cat 18
      11:16 am March 2, 2017 Permalink

Just because you respect someone, doesn’t mean you have to like them as a person.

• 2Dogs
      1:21 pm March 2, 2017 Permalink

What is this “fan base” I keep reading about? I love UK and I hate Louisville but to my dying day I will appreciate what Pitino did for UK. And if I saw Pitino I wouldn’t act like a jerk toward him. I may be in the minority but a few bitter UK fans don’t speak for everyone.

• 2Dogs, as I indicated, he (very) unnecessarily (and purposely IMO) alienated numerous UK fans when he took the UL job with his statements. If I met him I would be respectful, but that doesn’t mean I have to like what he did and said.

• BluKudzu
      3:01 pm March 2, 2017 Permalink

I do not dislike Laetner as much as I dislike Pitino, and I dislike Laetner, a lot. Laetner should thank Pitino ( and Pelphrey for that matter, who also coached against UK, on numerous occasions) for not guarding the inbound pass, and not having Pelphrey stick a hand in Christian’s face, that allowed him to make an uncontested shot from around the freethrow line which cost UK a chance to advance. That play made Laetner famous, added to Duke’s great win list and made Coach K more famous than he had ever been, before or since. You want to thank Rick for that, go ahead. The whole time he was here, he treated this stint as a stepping stone to something greater, with rumours swirling all the time.
      Now he is at Louisville, I expected no less.

8. RealCatsFan
    10:53 am March 2, 2017 Permalink

OK, I’ll out myself right here – I graduated from Louisville, so I don’t have any deep seated hatred for them. When they play someone else, I don’t really cheer against them, but of course I don’t cheer for them either. I guess I’m kind of a neutral observer – I just like to watch college BB. I grew up a UK fan, so I am ALWAYS going to pull for the Cats.

I actually have more dislike for teams like Duke, UNC, Kansas, UCLA, even UConn than I do Louisville. The first four because I think they are a threat to overtake UK’s legacy as the greatest college BB program, and the last because I think Calhoun was a grumpy old scumbag and they have knocked us out of the tourney several times.

• Realme
      10:57 am March 2, 2017 Permalink

I thought about stating an exemption from my opinion for those with a personal tie like being a former student.
      So what do you think of what Elizabeth had to say?

• RealCatsFan
      10:58 am March 2, 2017 Permalink

I really didn’t get a chance to listen to her that closely because I had some work stuff going on at that particular moment. ๐Ÿ™ Give me a short version.

• Realme
      11:02 am March 2, 2017 Permalink

Basically that she can’t understand why Matt / Ky fans would hate Louisville & Pitino, because we used to like him. That we should root for them when they’re not playing us, like we would for other in state schools.

• J-Dub421
      11:05 am March 2, 2017 Permalink

Several years ago when my cousin was playing tennis for Marshall, they had a match at U of L. I totally rolled into U of L’s tennis center in my UK jacket. Their team gave me some dirty looks. I just smiled and proceeded to cheer loudly for my cousin and Marshall.

• BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO RCF. Just kidding.

• RealCatsFan
      11:24 am March 2, 2017 Permalink

Hey, let me amend my statement by saying that when they are doing REALLY well, I am ready for them to lose so that all of the, ahem, “chirping” will subside.

• RealCatsFan
      11:27 am March 2, 2017 Permalink

J-Dub, last year as a volleyball coach, I took my girls team to a UL VB game. I had to meet their head coach (who was a very friendly and gracious person), and I didn’t want to rub it in their faces that I am a UK fan, so we all wore the spirit wear for our club team. But I sure as hell had a UK tee-shirt on underneath! ๐Ÿ˜€

9. Realme
    11:08 am March 2, 2017 Permalink

I would add to the Louisville Hate Debate that those who hold the same opinion as Elizabeth the caller are missing out on the fun of being part of a strong rivalry. I enjoy “sports hating” them, and love when they hate us.

• RealCatsFan
      11:23 am March 2, 2017 Permalink

Yep – some people lose sight of the fact that this is a game, and it’s supposed to be all in fun. Seeing fans get in physical altercations over a game makes me shake my head.

10. J-Dub421
    11:16 am March 2, 2017 Permalink

Cronin is 100% right. It’s all about money and TV ratings.

• MJ makes a good point though. There are lots of match ups that have story lines to them.

• J-Dub421
      11:22 am March 2, 2017 Permalink

There are, but the continued insistence on “regional” seeding/placement, all they do is handicap the east coast teams because the west is weak.

11. RealCatsFan
    11:22 am March 2, 2017 Permalink

“How to start a fight with your spouse”…

How about, “Hey honey, those genes make your ass look as wide as a four-row corn-picker.” ๐Ÿ™‚

12. J-Dub421
    11:25 am March 2, 2017 Permalink

Dating you dead husband’s brother is creepy and weird. Dating your dead brother’s widow is creepy and weird.

• Realme
      11:29 am March 2, 2017 Permalink

100%

• ukjaybrat
      11:30 am March 2, 2017 Permalink

Dating you dead husbandโ€™s brother is creepy and weird.
      – yes
      Dating your dead brotherโ€™s widow is creepy and weird.
      – i dunno. is she hot?

… jk lol

• J-Dub421
      11:35 am March 2, 2017 Permalink

Lol.

• runningunnin.454
      11:42 am March 2, 2017 Permalink

Matt is sort of right; in the Bible, if a woman’s husband died, and she was childless…it was all up to the brother.
      Of course there was also the story about Lot and his daughters…..

• Realme
      11:45 am March 2, 2017 Permalink

There’s a lot of behavior in the Old Testament that is not easy to identify with now.

• J-Dub421
      11:53 am March 2, 2017 Permalink

THE BROTHER IS STILL MARRIED TO SOMEONE ELSE!!!!

• Realme
      11:54 am March 2, 2017 Permalink

Ryan just made be bust out laughing with “Uncle Daddy”.

13. runningunnin.454
    11:57 am March 2, 2017 Permalink

Think Ryan meant to say “Yes man”. That didn’t come out right, did it?

14. J-Dub421
    11:58 am March 2, 2017 Permalink

Ryan can’t be the as*-man. That’s Cosmo Kramer! Or really the proctologist whose license plate he accidentally got.