Grab your khakis and sweater vest and get ready for KSR (Thursday Show Thread)

The Kentucky Basketball season ticket holder uniform, as captured by the beautiful and talented Abby Leonard

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Thursday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang will recap Kentucky’s win over Ole Miss, SEC Tournament scenarios, and the latest on UK’s potential seed in the big dance. Tune in or miss out.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

96 Comments for Grab your khakis and sweater vest and get ready for KSR (Thursday Show Thread)

1. Realme
    10:03 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

Hey, at least they’re wearing blue.

10:11 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

And standing.

• RealCatsFan
      10:21 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, but they have their arms folded like they are about to yell “get off my lawn!” 😀

10:23 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

Funny how they’re all standing from tallest to shortest too.

• Their arms are folded like Walter.

• runningunnin.454
      10:24 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

LOL, those guys are older than me. Snow on the roof…but maybe fire in the furnace?
      UK referee monitors?

• ClutchCargo
      10:30 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

I’m just glad to see some lower arena people standing. Even if it does appear to be before the game or during halftime.

2. Realme
    10:06 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

New favorite Cal quote, in case anyone missed it:

“I’m a fighter, not a lover… You hit one of mine, I kill two of yours.”

Kind of like RG, Jdub and BP managing trolls on KSR.

• runningunnin.454
      10:20 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

Hah, no trolls last night; like a graveyard at midnight. Just the BBNdude talking to himself. He really needs professional help.

10:24 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

Yeah he was trying to act all positive, I made a comment on an earlier post about him having never made even one positive comment.

• RealCatsFan
      10:26 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, it’s less annoying when we win, but in a way less entertaining. I get almost bored not having any trolls to whack.

10:29 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

On one thread 27 of the 38 comments were BBNDude/Slater talking to himself like RG said.

• ClutchCargo
      10:32 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

I was 100% convinced at one point that someone had taken over the BiBlueNationDude handle and was trolling the hell out of him.

• RealCatsFan
      10:34 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

Didn’t he come out of the closet as being a dook fan, or was that a different troll?

• ClutchCargo
      10:36 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

I think that was Brad Calipari’s stalker that admitted to being a dook fan.

• ClutchCargo
      10:37 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

Whoever that idiot is who goes by BBNDude, he can’t possibly be watching the game while posting rapid fire like he does.

10:43 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

I think BBNDude came out of the closet as Slater and I agree. How can he possibly be watching the game.

• RealCatsFan
      10:49 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

I often wonder the same thing about people on the live blog during games.

• Hey, I’m on there sometimes. 🙂

• J-Dub421
      11:17 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

I do my best to smack down trolls.

• J-Dub421
      11:29 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

It’s both hilarious and sad to watch BBNDude sit there by himself being negative in the echo chamber of a thread sometimes.

• Booby Petrino
      12:44 pm March 1, 2018 Permalink

Big fan of that quote too, Real!

• Booby Petrino
      12:46 pm March 1, 2018 Permalink

Sorry was in work meeting so I missed the show thread fun. BBN dude did out himself as Slater, and BradCal was the Duke fan. However I’m not 100% convinced that they aren’t the same person. Also, I’m pretty sure someone did take over dude’s handle and I enjoyed it thoroughly!

• UK BigBoardUpdate
      7:37 pm March 1, 2018 Permalink

Not all heroes wear capes…. 😉

3. 4everUKblue
    10:06 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

I hope all the haters were listening when Dakich was praising Cal’s coaching and our program.

10:09 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

He’s a heel on the radio, and a troll on Twitter, but Dakich is my favorite color announcer. So weird.

10:11 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

I thought he called it pretty good last night, couldn’t disagree with him on anything I remember.

• Especially about the “Let’s go to the monitor”.

BTW, I only saw the first few minutes before heading to church. I recorded it but haven’t gone back to watch it yet. Once again I say, RIP ukbasketballlive.com, RIP. *sniff*

10:16 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

Yeah CG I really miss ukbasketballlive.com. I was downloading and watching the games I missed, since I cut the cord and use the internet and an antenna I don’t have a way to catch the games I miss.

10:20 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

I’m cutting the cord as soon as the tourney is over. Figure I’ll have until September to figure out some sort of DVR option.

10:22 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

Real, I have a couple of websites to help you out, but not sure about the DVR issue.

• Realme, I’ve seen an RCA brand standalone DVR at Walmart that says it can be used without cable. I think it said you have to supply an external hard drive for storage. I can’t seem to find it on their site (it’s probably there, assuming they still sell it, but their site is not search friendly).

10:28 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

Gonna start with hulu and sling free trials. And will have to get an antenna of course. Don’t understand why no one makes an antenna / dvr / roku type device in one machine.

10:29 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

I looked at Best Buy and Amazon, but that was a while ago. Hopefully the technology is still developing.

• RealCatsFan
      10:32 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

I hope to be jumping on the “cut the cord” train soon myself. Seems like there would be a huge demand for a good DVR solution. I have no less than ten TV’s in my house, so I need a whole house solution 🙂 – it’s like I am living in a sports bar or something.

10:33 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

I didn’t like that Hulu has all the commercials and my understanding is if you have internet only you still have to pay for channels, apps are free but you have to sign into your cable provider. Am I wrong?

• RealCatsFan
      10:35 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

I was taking a serious look at YouTube TV a few months ago, but then DTV coughed up a special deal for me that kept me with them, at least until it expires.

10:36 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

• RealCatsFan
      10:37 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

One of my wife’s friends gave her a jailbroken FireStick, but I haven’t had time to sit down and play with it very much.

10:37 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

gonna have to take some notes…

10:39 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

I jailbroke my Apple TV but still trying to figure it all out, technology things are getting harder for me as I get older.

• 4ever, the RCA one was about that same size it looks like. It wasn’t near as big as the DVR from the cable company since you have to provide storage. External hard drives are so cheap these days I thought it might be a good option.

• RealCatsFan
      10:48 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

Some interesting ideas, but the big issue that all of us Cats fans have is trying to watch and/or record the games, especially when they are not on OTA channels (most of the time). The leagues like the SEC making these big network deals and having their own channels (SEC Network) are making it less feasible for people who really want to cut the cord.

10:51 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

I think Sling and Hulu both offer the SEC Network, thank goodness.

• Wow! I just checked that one 4ever. It’s $250, but the RCA was only between $30-$40 I think. Of course I don’t know the quality, but you can get external hard drives dirt cheap, especially when you keep an eye on this cheapskate deals website on weekdays:

10:54 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

You can stream the UK games from the funchester site

10:56 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

Yeah I thought it was a little pricey CG. And is there really 4 programs on at any one time on OTA channels?

11:00 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

http://w1ldc4ts.wixsite.com/funchester3 UK games are all on here.

• TroyMcKinleysJumpShot
      11:07 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

@RealMe Cut the cord and try YouTube TV. I used Sling for a while. YouTube has local channels so no need for antenna (although I bought those before YouTube). Also has unlimited DVR and a good assortment of channels. Only $35 per month. Would highly suggest!!

11:12 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

Thanks, I will.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:55 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

We have the Play Station Vue. Price just jumped to $45 for our package though. I’d be open to trying a cheaper route. I had Sling TV before and it was reliable enough at $25 for our package that included SEC & all ESPN Networks.

• TroyMcKinleysJumpShot
      12:38 pm March 1, 2018 Permalink

The biggest issues with Sling, for me. You can’t pause, rewind live TV. You can’t DVR anything that is on the Disney Parent networks. No one told me this up front, so you can’t DVR UK games or anything else on ESPN, Disney Channel, etc. It also has a limit of space that you can DVR, YouTube TV does not. Not being able to DVR everything was a huge buzz kill. It can also get a huge monthly bill to get most things that you would like to have.

4. Realme
    10:33 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

Someone call in and ask Matt why he ended up in the hospital at the SEC tourney in (I think) 2004. They were acting like it’s a good story yesterday.

5. Realme
    10:42 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

Cool idea. Wonder if this is the building Matt casually referred to buying the other day…

• What was that about? A contest? I had to leave the office, and I didn’t catch all the chatter.

10:52 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

They’re opening their own sports bar in Lexington. So far called KSBar, but they’re holding a naming contest.

10:57 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

Will there be strippers on the UK vs UofL game night?

• J-Dub421
      11:27 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

All I know is the regular show thread people should all go to watch a game together at the KSR Bar at some point.

11:30 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

That would be fun. Or it would destroy the mystery, lol.

• J-Dub421
      11:38 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

I would love to put faces to names. 🙂

• ClutchCargo
      11:40 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, and hopefully the trolls wouldn’t show up and start a food fight.

6. spincr4hire72
    11:05 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

Orange Theory commercials suck balls. Make them stop someone !

11:07 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

I don’t know what that is, but I’ll trade you for Magic Vapor Shop commercials. I so want to punch that guy.

• runningunnin.454
      11:12 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

Nothing beats those commercials for the ballroom pants…Duluth trading, I think. I was studying that ad, and finally decided that it should be ball room. They like to push community standards it seems.

• “Magic Vapor Shop…DAT CAAAAAAAAM!”

11:13 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

UGH stop it Chris. 🙂

• RealCatsFan
      11:17 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

rg, my 13 year old daughter just gives me the “seriously?” look whenever the Duluth commercial comes on with the husky dude pole dancing in his underwear. 😉

• J-Dub421
      11:21 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

Conway Heaton commercials are still the most annoying for me.

7. RealCatsFan
    11:15 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

Mrs RCF and I were at the game last night. When we got there, we found a young mom and dad and their three young kids in our seats. Instead of making them get up and leave, we just took the two empty seats behind them and told them as long as the people didn’t claim those seats, they were fine to stay. They were very grateful to us. Glad to see the little ones get to experience a game relatively close, although they were probably too young to fully appreciate it.

Game itself was ok. Not a ton of exciting plays to really get the crowd into it, and the constant delays from the refs really took the air out of things. Can’t really blame the crowd for not being up for this one. When we made a big play people got up and yelled, but not real exciting other than that. I don’t think Rupp is the only place that has games / crowds like this.

• Link a pic of y’all if you get on TV!

• runningunnin.454
      11:19 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

If we respect a team, we play. If we don’t…meh. Other than Gabriel and Vanderbilt, there’s a little laziness involved.

• RealCatsFan
      11:19 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

Haven’t had a chance to watch the replay of the game yet. We are in the end zone on the visitor side, and too far up to be in most views on TV. Sometimes in the 2nd half when everyone is waving at the oppontents’ FT shooters you can see me jumping up and down in the aisle. 🙂

11:19 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

The announcers were destroying them for all the delays, rcf. That had to take a lot of air out of the building.

• Be honest RCF: were you one of those 2 guys doing the choreographed dance a couple years ago? Ha!

• J-Dub421
      11:23 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

Ole’ Miss came out trying to start fights. It destroyed the flow of the game.

8. Some are not guessing Matt. Teachers in Israel are armed. That’s all I have to say about that.

9. Realme
    11:23 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

Anyone else ever leave one earbud in for KSR while your co-workers are talking to you?

• J-Dub421
      11:23 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

Totally.

• RealCatsFan
      11:38 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

All the time! My coworkers sometimes assume I am talking on the phone, and sometimes I play it off.

10. J-Dub421
    11:26 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

Big win last night! Knox, Gabriel, and SGA all played well, and so did my boy Quade. (I like his moxie.) And another pretty good night for Hami. Vando’s shot was a little off, but he still rebounds like a champ.

11. 4everUKblue
    11:32 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

When is the last time winning the SEC tournament made a difference in our seeding? Remember the 8 seed after beating Texas A&M and they got a higher seed than us?

• J-Dub421
      11:37 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

The NCAA will never miss an opportunity to screw us over.

11:38 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

As I remember the brackets are already set before the SEC championship is decided. Am I wrong about that?

• J-Dub421
      11:40 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

They moved the NCAA tournament final up a few hours a couple of years ago so that it would count towards NCAA tournament seeding. The NCAA chooses to ignore it anyway.

11:41 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

Thanks JDub. I know the ACC tournament ends on Saturday night, or at least it used to.

• runningunnin.454
      11:41 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

I think it’s funny ESPN is still trying to figure out how to get Oklahoma in the tournament. “Oh woe is us, Trae may not get in”.

• J-Dub421
      11:54 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

Then Trae should have gone to a better program that would win more games. Missing the tournament is what happens when you want to be a big fish in a small pond. Simmons and Fulz missed the tournament too.

11:59 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

This is a little different situation but Bolden barely played even while Bagley was out. I love that but I am also very happy he chose dUKe over us.

12. RealCatsFan
    11:40 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

Speaking of Boise, wasn’t the movie “Napoleon Dynamite” set in Boise ID?

13. Realme
    11:56 am March 1, 2018 Permalink

In case anyone doesn’t know, Tops in Lex is a really stupid magazine full of random Lexingtonians drinking cocktails in faux candid photos.

12:00 pm March 1, 2018 Permalink

It is a really bad publication.

• J-Dub421
      12:07 pm March 1, 2018 Permalink

There are a couple of “social” magazines of a similar ilk in Louisville as well. I’m pretty sure they only exist so that rich people can pat themselves on the back about the parties they throw.