It’s Signing Day too (Wednesday Show Thread)

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Wednesday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today is Veterans Day, and it’s also Signing Day, meaning at least one current UK commit, Wenyen Gabriel, will put pen to paper and make it official this afternoon. Tune in to hear the latest basketball recruiting news, the situation at quarterback, and Friday’s tipoff to basketball season.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

WLSI (900am) Pikeville
WPRT (960am): Prestonsburg
WSFC (1240am): Somerset
WTCW (920am): Whitesburg
WHAY (98.3fm): Whitley City
WBTH (1400am): Williamson
PRTC TV Channels 209 & 409: Jackson & Owlsey Counties (Replayed at 1 and 6)

On Delay (ALL TIMES LISTED EASTERN)…

WVHI (1330am): Evansville, IN, 5-7pm
WMTL (870am): Leitchfield, 11am-1pm
WLBQ (1570am): Morgantown, 3-5pm
WRIL (106.3fm): Middlesboro, Thur 8-10pm
WWTF (1580am): Lexington, 4-6pm

111 Comments for It’s Signing Day too (Wednesday Show Thread)

1. UK_JB
    9:46 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

Thankful every day for those who have served our country, and especially today, thank you Veterans.

2. ukjaybrat
    10:03 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

signing day… when all those commitments become LOIs. UK basketball never really has a flip/flop problem. usually we’re on the good end of players changing minds (t jones). But it’s always nice to know that the players coming to UK are definitely coming here. the recruiting business is so scandalous with coaches out there up to no good trying to steal recruits left and right. I know the ncaa tries to regulate it, but they could do a much better job imo

• RealCatsFan
      10:17 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

Hell, stealing recruits starts all the way back in youth sports. Try coaching club ball! I’m amazed by some of the cloak and dagger stuff going on.

3. JerkStore
    10:12 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

24-10 Vandy

10:18 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

Louisville troll is trolling….

• JerkStore
      10:33 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

I have just learned that whenever we say a team can’t score, they put up numbers on us. I will be happy to say I am wrong if Kentucky’s defense can hold them. Sorry if someone saying things honestly comes across as trolling.

10:54 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

Both teams that had poor offenses all year (Florida and Missouri) failed to put up major points on us. So your assessment that “whenever we say a team can’t score, they put up numbers on us” is100% false… that is why it appears you are trolling…

11:04 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

….not to mention he predicts a two touchdown victory, even though the spread is 3.

4. Realme
    10:13 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

Start Towles, then replace him if/when he has 2 three and outs in a row.

10:39 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

At this point, go ahead and start Barker. Either he’ll be great and we’ll win, or he’ll be terrible and it will shut up that portion of our fan base so I don’t have to listen to them whine anymore.

• Realme
      10:44 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

I wish we’d been playing both all along. I get the whole if you have 2 QBs you don’t have any theory, but almost every team we’ve played this year has been putting more than one guy on the field. Towles would probably be vindicated as the better option that way, but our backup would not be sitting on almost no game experience.

10:52 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

For the record I think Barker will be good at some point, and that he is the future starting QB. I just trust the coaches that maybe he’s not ready yet. I also think the poor offensive line play and receiver inconsistency would set him up for failure, just like it does for Towles.

• Realme
      10:55 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

So what do you think about next year, if you had to pick the qb now? I don’t think Towles has improved over the last 2 years, but not knowing how much is on him, vs. the other positions you mentioned, I don’t know what to think about the future. What say you?

11:01 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

i still truly believe that our biggest concern is the offensive line. They need to get stronger and smarter in the off season. i would like to see the two quarterbacks split time next week in the charlotte game. but this week it should be towles job unless he has a bad performance out the gate. pull him early. we can’t afford to give up field position in a game where it will matter so much with several 3 and outs

11:07 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

We really need more/better linemen. I am excited about Drake Jackson and Landon Young. We also have some younger guys who are freshmen or redshirt freshmen who will continue to develop and get better. The QB (whoever it is) will play better, make better decisions, and be more accurate with throws when they have more than a half a second to make something happen before they’re scrambling for their life from multiple defenders.

11:42 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

Not to mention we don’t have ANY seniors on offense. so they will likely all be back with more experience. They can only improve right ?

11:58 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

Isn’t Swindle a senior? I’m sure he’s a nice kid, but I’m ready to replace him on the line…

12:29 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

sorry, i meant at skill positions. QB, RB, WR, TE

5. RealCatsFan
    10:25 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

If Friday’s game televised, or do we have to deal with the WatchESPN crap again?

• Realme
      10:30 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

Friday televised, Saturday internet.

10:55 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

is the watchespn thing just hard to figure out or do you have crappy internet service. i casted watchespn from my phone to the tv and it was in HD quality. but i live on the louisville/crestwood border, so i have pretty good service.

just curious

• RealCatsFan
      11:23 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

ukjaybrat, I when I try to access WatchESPN with my DIRECTV account, it returns an error code. Does not matter what kind of device I am using – same error on my android phone as well as on the TV thru AppleTV. I called DTV and had their tech people on the line, they couldn’t figure it out either. Saw another UK fan post on the thread for the game that they were having the same issue. I’m not technologically illiterate – I work in IT, so not a foreign concept. Guess I’m just hexed.

11:40 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

Hmmm, sounds like it’s a problem on DirecTV’s end….

11:44 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

That sucks. my biggest gripe was Time Warner Cable not streaming sec network through Watchespn. but that problem has been solved, so i am technologically and politically good to go. looks like Fake Lou Holtz needs to call direct tv and get that fixed

6. JerkStore
    10:31 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

Not a Louisville troll. Just not feeling good about this. Also, Shannon Dawson needs to pull a George Costanza and do the opposite.

• RealCatsFan
      10:38 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

I haven’t had a good feeling about a UK football game since before the EKU game. Lose to Vandy and the seat under Stoops is going to start getting pretty warm!

• Jaxson
      10:42 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

Barnhart’s seat will be hot too. There’s no way he can be trusted with another major hire if Stoops fails.

10:48 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

Barnhart was just named AD of the year. His seat will not be getting hot. We are bad at football historically, and trying to build our program from nothing in the toughest football conference. All our sports programs are better across the board under Barnhart and all our athletes do well academically.

10:49 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

HAHA! Mitch Barnhart was just voted AD of the Year, by his peers, and yet some dude on a comment board named Jaxson doesn’t think he’s cut out for the job!!

• Realme
      10:49 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

Agree, Barnhart is doing a really good job, and I would add that 3 years is not enough time to give Stoops, even if we lose out.

10:57 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

yeah the Barnhart haters have no idea what they are talking about. just because one sport isn’t up to YOUR expectations doesn’t mean the guy isn’t doing his job. everyone that knows what they’re talking about knows he’s the right man for the job.

• Jaxson
      11:02 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

Fine. Keep him for the non-revenue producing Olympic sports.

11:09 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

Thanks to the SEC Network deal, UK football produces more revenue than any sport – win or lose. It keeps those Olympic sports (that you seem to loathe) funded.

So again, whatever “point” you are trying to make, its wrong.

11:10 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

ok ok ok … let’s play your game. who would you replace him with ?
      Because anybody that is qualified to replace him is NOT going to leave their job unless they get fired. and the only person on that list is PROBABLY Jurich if/when he gets fired for hooker-gate… you would rather have him as your AD?

11:11 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

Jaxson, Barnhart hired Coach Cal for our flagship program….

• Jaxson
      11:27 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

Well, since you are all the same person this is a waste of time. Especially since big board was exposed for plagiarizing Kyle Tuckers twitter feed and posting it on here as his own yesterday. By the way, Calipari has said numerous times that he was expecting a call after Tubby left. But Mitch wanted Billy. Now, post some insulting replies and have a nice day. Don’t forget to “like” your numerous responses. Nah, you wouldn’t forget.

11:38 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

LMAO. U mad, bro?

I was “exposed” for copying and pasting a phrase that I could’ve easily said myself (hence why I used it), and now I’m some horrible person???

“The least surprising thing ever. Folks, never get too excited about a “commitment” from a kid three years out.”

Sorry, but I’m not gonna “quote” a Kyle Tucker tweet for use on a KSR comment thread….

Don’t get butthurt that your little anti-Mitch attempts were called out for being false and silly.

And contrary to your belief, I am me, J-Dub421 is her own woman, and ukjaybrat I also follow on Twitter – all different people. But nice conspiracy theory, though!! 😉

But seriously, don’t cry.

11:38 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

Dude, none of us are the same person. I know it’s hard for you to accept that multiple people disagree with you, but that is the case here.

Billy was a hot coaching prospect at the time. Hindsight is 20/20. We just happened to be the program to find out that Billy was a crazy alcoholic. That situation was remedied quickly.

You didn’t answer the question of who you think would be better as an AD. Who do you think we should hire instead of Mitch?

11:42 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

Jaxson, while I disagree with you about Barnhart, I applaud you for recognizing the troll with multiple usernames. I dealt with the same stuff, the other day. Who is warped enough to have so many names to try and validate themselves? Pathetic.

11:44 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

^^^ Cats Paw, is that you?? LOL

11:46 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

No, jackass, I’m just me. I don’t need multiple identities. I’m not off in the head, like you guys.

11:47 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

Good lord people. I do not care enough about what you think or say enough to waste my time repeatedly logging in and out of multiple accounts to argue with you, nor am I that desperate for validation. I’ve been a regular poster here for years, all under this login. So have jaybrat, big board, and multiple others. Get over yourselves.

11:48 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

Of course, because you are all the same person. I figured that out Monday. Now others see it, too

• Jaxson
      11:49 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

Thanks Long. I was just stating an opinion. And of course they are the same. Look at the times of his posts. Most of them are are within a minute of each other so it’s obvious. I think it’s sad that he has to follow himself on multiple twitter accounts. Him inventing a female character is weird, but to each his own. Go Cats

• CATandMONKEY
      11:50 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

Fckng idiots; they are not the same person. They just both have opinions that are far more lucid and credible than the nonsense you espouse. Dear lord…

11:50 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

@LDS and Jaxson
      Do you people really believe that EVEN IF any one person had the time to constantly log out and back in to several different accounts all day every day, that they would do so just to argue with a you ? please god give me a break.

Do you not think it is the slightest bit possible that out of the millions of UK fans that there are a handful of them on this blog that think you are just wrong. Or are you too narcissistic to accept that as a possibility ?

11:50 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

Anyway, you do your thing today. I’ll leave you alone. I’ve got errands to run. Have a good day.

11:53 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

LMAO. This is hilarious.

I think Long Dong Silver and Jaxson are the same person, actually…..

11:54 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

Clearly Jaxson and Long Dong Silver are the same person. LDS didn’t post all day except just now to back up “Jaxson.”

11:57 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

The troll got owned… HAHA!!

11:58 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

Nice try. No. I was sincere in wishing you a good day. I take that back. Lets do this. If you are all different people lets prove it. I’ll be glad to meet you somewhere. Put up or shut up.

11:58 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

Careful, CATandMONKEY, this lunatic is gonna think you are the same guy as all of us, too!!! LOL

11:59 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

Whats your twitter, LDS???

12:01 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

Of course I do. Cow and chicken is just anothwr alias…put up or shut up.

12:03 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

I dont have twitter. I’m not narcissistic.

• CATandMONKEY
      12:04 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

No fear man, Jdub and Jaybrat are more knowledgeable posters than me. I have only been a fan since moving here in my early 20’s back around 1993…My first great UK memory was a 40 point beatdown of TN in the SEC tourney, I believe.

12:06 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

I don’t have a twitter account and I’m not going to meet some belligerent weirdo from an online forum in person. What’s your facebook? I’ll message you. I’m a girl, so it should be obvious. that I’m not one of these dudes.

12:06 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

So I guess I have no takers to meet. I thought as much.

12:07 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

Whatever you say, troll….

12:07 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

And I’m not posting my facebook account here either. I don’t even have my last name on my facebook account because I do not want to be found.

• Jaxson
      12:07 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

That’s great champ. The simultaneous, hysterical meltdowns of your numerous personas mean I win. That was fun. Goodbye.

12:08 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

I’m not the weirdo. Schizophrenic people are the weirdos.

12:08 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

I haven’t lost a fight yet. You live in Lexington?

12:08 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

I’m a girl. I do not meet strange men places because I don’t feel like being murdered.

12:09 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

I didn’t know you could post simultaneously…. LOL

12:10 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

I guess I’ll go run my errands, now. It looks like Jaxson was down. So was I.

12:10 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

Seriously, though, KSR, its time to take out the trash……

• theSkinny81
      12:12 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

Well, if it wasn’t obvious before, Jaxson and Long Dong Silver are the same pathetic troll.

How sad…

12:12 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

Fine, Jaxon/LDS where do you want to meet? Your call.

12:13 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

No, Bardstown. And I wasn’t talking about murder or fights. You “people”, lol, really are nuts. Nuttier than Nuts.com

12:13 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

I don’t post personal info in online forums, so you can post your phone number and I’ll call you. You can come swing by my office while you’re out running errands.

12:14 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

I’ve always wanted to take a bat to the knees of an internet troll. Looks like I might be getting my chance!!! 😀

12:15 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

I took you up on your offer to meet, Put up or shut up. I’m in Louisville.

12:17 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

Let’s meet at the Lowe’s parking lot in Bardstown. I’ll be there by the lumber door at 5.

12:18 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

I’m at work in Louisville. You get to come to me since you’re out running errands.

12:20 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

How you, tough guy big board? Can you make it?

12:20 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

This is getting out of hand. LDS and Jaxson, you two are the ones claiming we are the same person… i couldn’t give a damn what you think. none of us are going to meet you to prove we aren’t because if i’m not mistaken, we all think you are a lunatic.

If you want to have an opinion, fine. have an opinion. If you are going to share that opinion on a public blog and have no evidence or reason to support your opinion AND your opinion appears to be stupid to a lot of other people, EXPECT to be ridiculed for said opinion. Take it like a man and move on. god knows I’ve done it. I am a very opinionated person and sometimes i am wrong.

This radio show is the biggest in the state and you think all of the regulars in the show thread are the same person. That is quite possibly the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

I really don’t know what to tell you. If you indeed are a UK fan, you are quite possibly the most ignorant one I’ve ever met in person or online. But if my suspicions are true and you are just a bored troll with nothing better to do with your afternoons than to login to a UK sports blog and talk shit and argue with everyone… well, that is just sad. i wish life was a little more fulfilling for you that trolling wasn’t such an important part of your day..

12:21 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

I think jaybrat lives in Louisville, so maybe you can meet him next while you’re here, but then you’ll apparently have to head to Lexington to meet big board.

12:24 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

Uh huh. Yep. As I thought. No takers. I’m done with the lot of “you”. Good day.

12:29 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

Anyone that goes by “Long Dong Silver” is a special piece of work….

And no, I’m not driving from Lexington to Bardstown on a bluff while you stay in your basement whacking off and eating cheetos.

Good day.

12:31 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

J-Dub421 November 11, 2015 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

J-Dub421 November 11, 2015 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

J-Dub421 November 11, 2015 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

How is this “no takers?” Post your info, or come to Louisville.

12:39 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

Make sure you bring “Jaxson” with you. I want proof you’re not the same person.

• CATandMONKEY
      12:41 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

As only a peripheral member of this discussion, I simply find it beyond imagination that LDS thinks Jdub and jaybrat are the same person. Had you, (LDS) spent a fair amount of time interfacing with either of these people you would know that they are both huge UK fans with strong opinions that both express in a reasonable and respectful manner. Their opinions. do NOT always agree and anyone with a modicum of sense could see they are not the same person.

Why would anyone go meet some random, anonymous person who schlepps the name of a third-rate seventies porn actor? Perhaps if your accusations hadn’t been expressed in such an obtuse manner, you might have some takers. I am always up for meeting with fellow UK fans to enjoy a few ales and some food, usually as my treat. Glad you like 70s music, so all is not lost but your unfounded and laughable accusations against jdub and Jaybrat outweigh any positive contributions to this board that you may have available.

12:45 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

How about you Jaxson? Do you have a Twitter account?

7. RealCatsFan
    10:37 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

I hope Drew gets better protection from his teammates on the field than he got in the EKU dorm!

11:02 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

ooohh. burn 😉

11:47 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

Now that was funny

8. ajgrad
    11:20 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

DO NOT THROW AWAY BIG BIRTHA! Ryan is right (that’s rare), we should keep it and display it as an art piece. It was awesome looking, though the jumbotron that replaces it is needed and will be better that doesn’t mean we should throw away that history.

11:52 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

They could put it in a glass case on campus somewhere instead of someone’s attempt at “art” (It should be noted that I do not fancy the arts).

9. The Rest of the story
    11:23 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

The number one reason Barker will not start or maybe not even play is, if he does and his play wins the game Stoops and Dawson look like fools staying with Towles all season. Right now they already do but they do not want further embarrassment.

• Realme
      11:25 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

OR… They don’t want to start Barker, have him fail, and then they get the blame for deciding to go with him.

• RealCatsFan
      11:27 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

Now that is completely inane reasoning. So Stoops & Co would rather risk losing the rest of the games this season playing a QB who is less likely to get the win for fear of looking like fools to the fan base? Seriously? Wouldn’t losing make you look like a bigger fool?

• The Rest of the story
      11:28 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

What I am saying is bet the farm on Towles playing and Vandy winning.

11:31 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

What if they play Barker before he’s ready, he fails, and it wrecks his confidence?

Plus the coaches get bonuses for winning games, especially conference games. It doesn’t benefit them to lose games on purpose just for ego.

11:42 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

#9: That might be the most ridiculous thing I’ve read all day. If you truly believe any of that, there’s no helping you…

Kudos???

11:43 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

Okay, I just read your second comment, and I think at this point, it’s safe to say you are just trolling…..

• The Rest of the story
      1:44 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

NO not a troll been a UK football fan all my life. Looking at recent performances I am totally disgusted with how this team is prepared, coached, and how poorly the players are developed. If you are happy with 4 blowout losses in a row then keep on drinking the Kool-aid there Mr. Big.

2:04 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

Whatever you say, troll… 😉

10. Realme
    11:24 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

One of the best calls ever.

11. RealCatsFan
    11:25 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

Are they saying the broadcast is down on the 1080 radio station? I am listening thru I-Heart to 1080 right now and it is fine.

11:32 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

I couldn’t find it on an actual radio today, so maybe it’s up digitally through iheart, but not going out over the actual airwaves? I had to go through iheart today.

• Realme
      11:32 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

It’s not working over the air. Actual radio listeners.

12. houndstooth
    11:31 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

Ryan was born in west germany and was an army brat that traveled a lot but did graduate from lone oak high school. They did not go to swinger clubs- she stated in the the divorce it was S & M clubs (a little different than the swinger clubs I would think). Facts are optionals

13. houndstooth
    11:40 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

what would i do without Joanne’s update call. Maybe we need to hookup KY joe and Joanne- sounds like a match made in heaven.

• Realme
      11:48 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

Her calls were better when she was mad at Ryan.

14. RealCatsFan
    11:45 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

Music from the 70’s was no good? Seriously? Led Zeppelin put out most of their best stuff in the 70’s. The Who, Stones, etc. – some of their greatest hits were put out during this time.

11:55 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

We all know Matt has terrible taste in music…

• CATandMONKEY
      11:56 am November 11, 2015 Permalink

…Pink Floyd, Frampton, Black Sabbath, Aerosmith, Queen…

12:00 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

I guess Conway Twitty didn’t put out any music during the 70’s.

12:02 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

A subject I agree with you. 70’s music was the best.

15. bkirby99
    5:54 pm November 11, 2015 Permalink

Whoever suggested listening to the podcast at half-speed, THANK YOU! I listened to the remainder of today’s podcast (after the suggestion), and it was hilarious. Long-time reader, but registered today just to make this comment.