It’s Matt Jones Day in Middlesboro (Friday Show Thread)

Today’s show takes place in Middlesboro, where Matt Jones’ hometown is honoring him by giving him his very own day. Tune in to hear Matt, Ryan, and Drew celebrate “Matt Jones Day” on the downtown concert stage in Middlesboro.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

47 Comments for It’s Matt Jones Day in Middlesboro (Friday Show Thread)

1. runningunnin.454
    10:02 am September 15, 2017 Permalink

At work, can’t listen; still bummed about the news yesterday.
    Just dropped in to say, injuries are killing us.

• Realme
      10:05 am September 15, 2017 Permalink

Yeah. Hard to be optimistic about this game now. But at least it’s not a season-ending injury.

• ukjaybrat
      10:07 am September 15, 2017 Permalink

i halfway expected him to sit out though. no sense in getting him hurt in a road game that we “might” win. sit him, get healthy. come home, move on and beat florida.

• runningunnin.454
      10:15 am September 15, 2017 Permalink

Bennie probably won’t be 100%; and with every passing game, the loss of Mosier is becoming an elephant in the room.

• J-Dub421
      11:27 am September 15, 2017 Permalink

Losing Baker didn’t help either.

• RealCatsFan
      11:45 am September 15, 2017 Permalink

Or Badet. Hell, we should still have Boom. Kid got some bad advice from someone.

2. Realme
    10:19 am September 15, 2017 Permalink

I usually love the off topic stuff, but it feels like they’ve spent 12 shows talking about food.

• ukjaybrat
      10:26 am September 15, 2017 Permalink

i know right… i listened to the podcast yesterday and they were only at the sweet 16 and thought there’s no way, there’s been a 1000 matchups already. maybe because this is the third time they’ve done a fast food bracket…

3. Realme
    10:28 am September 15, 2017 Permalink

I support trying Bowden in the Wildcat. I know they say Benny can throw, but we haven’t seen any of that.

4. Hopefully Bowden can channel JoJo Kemp’s Wildcat wildcat (sic) vs. SC.

5. runningunnin.454
    10:30 am September 15, 2017 Permalink

AND, Cal needs to kick in high gear, we trail Duke for 2018…3-0.

• Realme
      10:33 am September 15, 2017 Permalink

I can be positive about that. Just play J.T.’s voice in your head: Heeeyyyy. Cal’s got this. He’ll be riding that hoverboard around his kitchen in n o time.

• RealCatsFan
      11:46 am September 15, 2017 Permalink

Yep, I will be jumping for joy when the vampire finally retires to his crypt.

6. Why do we always get the same news break twice, and immediately back to back it seems, at the bottom of the hour (at least on iHeart)?

7. runningunnin.454
    10:37 am September 15, 2017 Permalink

Watched New Mexico v Boise State last night. Start of 3rd quarter, NM was only trailing by a td, and went for it on 4th and one from their own 34 yard line. The announcers said they couldn’t criticize the coach for the call; what, I must have missed that day in football 101.

• RealCatsFan
      10:39 am September 15, 2017 Permalink

If their defense was awesome, I might be able to get behind that call. Otherwise, punt.

• And that defense better be on par with Bama’s or the 85 Bears.

• runningunnin.454
      11:10 am September 15, 2017 Permalink

They didn’t make it, and lost by 2 tds. I don’t think Saban would roll the dice on his own 34.

• RealCatsFan
      11:44 am September 15, 2017 Permalink

rg, did the OC say after the game “You would have liked it if it had worked!”?? πŸ˜€

• No, Saban wouldn’t be that stupid.

• runningunnin.454
      11:58 am September 15, 2017 Permalink

Ha Ha, I don’t know what the OC said; but they had already been successful on a fake punt…went to the well one too many times. And I don’t know any coaches that would go from the 34 in the 3rd quarter.

8. Realme
    10:41 am September 15, 2017 Permalink

Oh no! I hope Jeff isn’t paying by the minute.

9. RealCatsFan
    10:44 am September 15, 2017 Permalink

Going to the UK/UL volleyball match tonight. Will be there with wife and younger daughter, and her volleyball teammates. Should be a fun match. Expecting UK to prevail – they are ranked #12 currently. Cards are rebuilding under a new coach. She came in and told all the walk-ons to clear out their lockers and head elsewhere. One of them was the daughter of a friend – she had a full ride at South Florida, but got homesick and came home to walk on at UofL. Lifetime Cards fan. Another kid was a senior, had been a walk-on for her whole career under Ann Kordes, and she was let go a few weeks before season got rolling. I understand that you are trying to rebuild a program and attract better athletes, but walk-ons are walk-ons. They generally don’t play. Just kind of SMH over this, but I guess that’s life in division I sports.

• runningunnin.454
      10:52 am September 15, 2017 Permalink

I would say….draconian.

• It’s just like a corporate manager that thinks they have to immediately put their footprint on the organization in a forceful way.

• RealCatsFan
      11:00 am September 15, 2017 Permalink

rg, since Coack K is a vampire, would you say that his coaching style is “Draculian”? πŸ™‚

• RealCatsFan
      11:02 am September 15, 2017 Permalink

cg, don’t they call those types of managers “seagull managers”? They fly in, make a lot of noise, crap all over everything, and then fly off.

• I think I’ve heard that term somewhere, but it’s been a while. I think you are correct sir.

• runningunnin.454
      11:05 am September 15, 2017 Permalink

I don’t think I’ve ever seen him in daylight; and he looks like Bela Lugosi.

• J-Dub421
      11:31 am September 15, 2017 Permalink

Wow, that is a jerk move.

• RealCatsFan
      11:41 am September 15, 2017 Permalink

Her parents told me that they met with the coach to ask why she had been let go. Only thing she had to say was that the walk-on’s didn’t fit the ‘team culture’ or some kind of rubbish. Now I am giving a second hand account, so take it with a grain of salt. She might be a great coach. But from the outside, not a great look. I don’t want to sound like a hypocrite because Cal let a lot of kids go when he came to UK. But walk on’s are different than scholarship players, IMO. Why not let them hang around for the year – they are not taking up someone’s scholly.

• J-Dub421
      11:44 am September 15, 2017 Permalink

Exactly. It’s especially cruel to the seniors because they can’t just go to another school.

• And Cal uses walk-ons.

10. Realme
    11:14 am September 15, 2017 Permalink

I hope Brad learns the key to a good sense of humor from his dad: you must be able to laugh at yourself.

• J-Dub421
      11:33 am September 15, 2017 Permalink

He made Ryan Lemond his twitter photo, so it seems like he has a pretty decent sense of humor. Plus his sister raz him all the time.

• Realme
      11:35 am September 15, 2017 Permalink

That’s what they thought yesterday, but apparently Brad has tweeted otherwise.

• Realme
      11:35 am September 15, 2017 Permalink

*that he didn’t change his profile pics that jokingly.

• RealCatsFan
      11:37 am September 15, 2017 Permalink

I think it is pretty common for younger guys to take themselves a little too seriously. I was kind of like that when I was in college. Didn’t go as far as getting something regrettable tattooed across my chest (thankfully), but like most young people, I wasn’t totally self secure. Now as an old codger, I really don’t care what people think about me. πŸ™‚

• Realme
      11:38 am September 15, 2017 Permalink

“I wasn’t meaning for it to be funny… but I guess since you all find it amusing it’s okay” plus an emoji I don’t understand.

• Realme
      11:40 am September 15, 2017 Permalink

One of the blessings of aging, rcf.

• RealCatsFan
      11:42 am September 15, 2017 Permalink

Realme, one of the few blessings. Otherwise, I go by the adage that “getting old ain’t for sissies”. πŸ™‚

• Realme
      11:45 am September 15, 2017 Permalink

lol, it’s certainly not a long list.

• J-Dub421
      11:45 am September 15, 2017 Permalink

My dad always says, “Getting old sucks, but it beats the alternative.”

11. Realme
    11:27 am September 15, 2017 Permalink

Oh crap. They are totally KSR cursing this lady. I hope she survives to see the gam ein question.

12. RANDOM BUT IMPORTANT NOTE: we may be getting some help from Google on the pop-up/fly-in ads on the mobile Chrome browser:

13. J-Dub421
    11:53 am September 15, 2017 Permalink

Rushing QB’s are out-rushing their blockers and get hit a lot more and are often hit harder. In the NFL you need a pocket passer and a good O-Line to protect them in order to succeed.

14. J-Dub421
    11:55 am September 15, 2017 Permalink

I stand by what I posted yesterday. Boogie at #23 was way too low on that list.