It’s Guilty Pleasure Day! (Tuesday Show Thread)

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Tuesday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, Matt, Ryan, and Shannon will discuss today’s Governor’s Cup festivities in Frankfort, the UK basketball team arriving on campus, and Muhammad Ali’s funeral. They’ll also share their favorite guilty pleasure songs, so start sharing yours in the comments!

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

affiliate-list

26 Comments for It’s Guilty Pleasure Day! (Tuesday Show Thread)

1. UK_JB
    9:51 am June 7, 2016 Permalink

We all know Shannon would like all buckcherry and nickelback.

2. Realme
    10:12 am June 7, 2016 Permalink

Fantastic. Took me all day to get that Backstreet Boys song out of my head yesterday.

3. J-Dub421
    10:17 am June 7, 2016 Permalink

Since it’s the summer slow period, I plan on throwing out topics for discussion, just because.

Random Topic for Discussion: Which of the incoming freshmen are you most excited about?

• Realme
      10:19 am June 7, 2016 Permalink

Hard to pick one, can I pick 5? 🙂 Probably Bam, but I have a really good feeling about the guards too, once they have time to develop.

• J-Dub421
      10:27 am June 7, 2016 Permalink

I’m excited about all of them as well, and I think there is a TON of potential in this group. I am most excited about De’Aaron Fox though. I’m sure he’ll have some growing pains early on because freshman point guards under Calipari always do, but once he puts it all together…..

I think Bam will be a fan favorite. He seems to have a huge personality. 🙂

• ukjaybrat
      10:33 am June 7, 2016 Permalink

bam – i just like the style of play a player his size and frame can provide. unfortunately, with the steph curry’s and klay thompson’s of the world, we are moving to a guard centric league and the slam jam basketball i loved to watch is slowly dying.

• J-Dub421
      10:44 am June 7, 2016 Permalink

There’s still room in the league for guys like Bam. Boogie, Davis, Towns, Randle, etc. are all doing well.

• ukjaybrat
      10:49 am June 7, 2016 Permalink

There’s still room now, but wait until more teams attempt to emulate golden state’s success. I’m not saying now or in the next couple of years, but eventually the three ball will become king and the bruisers down low won’t be as much of a commodity as they are now.

• ukjaybrat
      10:50 am June 7, 2016 Permalink

of all the players you mentioned, booker and murray will have better individual careers 15 years from now when it’s all said and done simply because they can shoot

(now will their teams be good? that’s completely different, takes more than just one player)

• Realme
      10:53 am June 7, 2016 Permalink

I don’t think that one style of play will completely take over, because it will only work for the teams that are the best at it. The fact that GS barely made it past OKC illustrates that there are multiple ways to be successful.

• J-Dub421
      11:01 am June 7, 2016 Permalink

I think as long as the bigs guys are athletic and relatively quick and agile, they will still play and be good. The NBA is definitely trending away from big bruising slow guys, but guys like AD, Towns, Boogie, or WCS are still valuable because they are so mobile at their size.

• RealCatsFan
      11:19 am June 7, 2016 Permalink

I think a lot of people are overlooking Sacha “I-KilleYa” Jones. Not only does he have a great last name, he already loves to bask in attention from the fans. I can see him becoming a fan favorite on and off the court.

• J-Dub421
      11:21 am June 7, 2016 Permalink

We haven’t mentioned Wenyen Gabriel yet, and he is going to be good.:)

• Don’t forget the rim protectors that guys like AD, Nerlens, KAT and WCS are. I hope Bam can be that at least to some degree. Who can forget the Kansas guard who turned around and dribbled out of the lane because he didn’t want any more Spalding (Wilson? Nike?) logos on his forehead at the hands of Karl & Willie? Guys like them literally change the game when they make players afraid to drive.

4. J-Dub421
    10:24 am June 7, 2016 Permalink

I have no problem with our players having lives outside of basketball; there is such a thing as overtraining. It’s important to rest your mind and body. But, there are some players who clearly put in work in the gym outside of practice and there are those who don’t. It’s not usually that difficult to tell which category guys fall into.

• RealCatsFan
      11:21 am June 7, 2016 Permalink

I am constantly telling my kids that if they want to excel in anything, even outside of athletics, they will have to put in a fair amount of work on their own time, outside of games and practice.

• J-Dub421
      11:22 am June 7, 2016 Permalink

I have long said that talent without work ethic is worthless.

5. Realme
    10:31 am June 7, 2016 Permalink

Ok, I’ll admit it. My gp song is Fergie Big Girls Don’t Cry. Normally all blues and rock/metal, but some of the girl singers make good treadmill soundtrack, Megan Trainor, etc.

6. J-Dub421
    10:42 am June 7, 2016 Permalink

Matt can’t judge anyone else’s musical taste. He loves Conway Twitty for crap’s sake.

7. RealCatsFan
    10:43 am June 7, 2016 Permalink

Being the dad of 14-yo and 12-yo daughters, I have suffered through the kind of stuff they are playing on a daily basis. Occasionally they put something on the radio that is simply so annoying that I am forced to boycott it in favor of some Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, or STP. 🙂

8. onsides
    10:57 am June 7, 2016 Permalink

Toms Diner by Suzanne Veda.

9. J-Dub421
    11:23 am June 7, 2016 Permalink

If you had Cousins, Towns, and Davis on the same team, who would you start, and who would you bring off the bench?

10. J-Dub421
    11:29 am June 7, 2016 Permalink

Singers who didn’t drink, smoke, and do a bunch of drugs when they were younger can still hit the notes. Ann Wilson (the lead singer of Heart) still sounds amazing.

• EXACTLY!!! I hate it that so many of these folks lose their voices so early because of that. I saw an interview with Gloria Estefan years ago where she said she doesn’t smoke or drink because they both dry out your throat. She said she drinks mostly, if not all, water.

11. CrazyCayts