It’s Baseball Time in the Bluegrass (Friday Show Thread)

@UKBaseball

Before the BatCats take the field, Ryan Lemond and Matt Jones are taking over the airwaves.  Start this beautiful, baseball-filled weekend off the right way with Kentucky Sports Radio.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

affiliate-list

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

37 Comments for It’s Baseball Time in the Bluegrass (Friday Show Thread)

1. Realme
    9:51 am June 2, 2017 Permalink

Bad news. No one in my office got the memo about this being National Doughnut Day.

• Oh crud, I could have picked up a free Krispy Kreme!

• RealCatsFan
      10:17 am June 2, 2017 Permalink

Mine neither – and I’m hungry this morning! A couple “fat pills” would have gone well with my coffee.

• J-Dub421
      10:36 am June 2, 2017 Permalink

Sweet! My boss’s wife sent doughnuts in to our office.

• Realme
      10:37 am June 2, 2017 Permalink

Eat one for the rest of us, JDub.

• J-Dub421
      10:58 am June 2, 2017 Permalink

I ate half of a doughnut because these things are the size of hubcaps.

2. Show Thread was posted early today.

GO BATCATS!!!

And my alma mater plays for the NAIA baseball championship tonight. GO EAGLES!!!

3. Realme
    9:55 am June 2, 2017 Permalink

Good news, bball players start arriving Monday!

4. runningunnin.454
    10:10 am June 2, 2017 Permalink

Funny Indiana wants a rivalry…both teams have to be relevant for a rivalry; IU was not even relevant in their own conference last year…and for many years since Knight.
    Their wins in 2011 and 2016 notwithstanding, they are not at our level nationally. We play Kansas, Duke, UL, and NC; we don’t need games with a team that hit rock bottom last year.
    And, their fans were jerks last time we played at their crumbling arena.
    IU, your rival is Purdue…live with it.

• Realme
      10:18 am June 2, 2017 Permalink

I think the Ryans and the Oscars will be disappointed even if they do play again. The old home and home intensive rivalry is not coming back. It won’t be what they fondly remember.

• RealCatsFan
      10:18 am June 2, 2017 Permalink

Agree, but IMO that is likely to change with Miller at the helm. Quality hire by the Hoosiers, and I look forward to the possibility of dashing their hoops dreams again. 🙂

• RealCatsFan
      10:21 am June 2, 2017 Permalink

I would like to see a revival of the old “Big Four Classic”, with UK, IU, UL and possibly Purdue or ND. I would say alternate between Indy and YUM, but that would give UL a home game. But if they keep it just between UK and IU, alternating games at YUM and in Indy would be great. It would be the kind of NCAA tourney atmosphere that Cal likes.

• RealCatsFan
      10:23 am June 2, 2017 Permalink

UK gets plenty of the hostile road game “everybody’s Superbowl” treatment in the SEC as it is. No need to travel to that dump in Bloomington. Crowds at UF and SC are every bit as hostile as the one in Bloomington, but a little bit less redneck.

• DrSayre
      10:32 am June 2, 2017 Permalink

Id be alright if they played like every other year and always played at Lucas Oil Stadium. I think enough people would make trip that would make it a true neutral game, and playing every other year wouldnt impact the schedule as much.

• I agree with Nick Roush about our schedule. We should have been playing Bama twice with the class they have coming in. However, since they’re coming to Auburn, maybe I can finally see a Cal coached Cat team in person.

• J-Dub421
      10:35 am June 2, 2017 Permalink

Yeah, IU is going to have to drag themselves back to consistent relevance before I want to play them regularly again. Right now there’s no benefit to us if we play them.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:24 am June 2, 2017 Permalink

First Friday of the summer, and I have no attention span for anything work related at all. I am not likely to be very productive today.

6. ClutchCargo
    11:11 am June 2, 2017 Permalink

I would love to see a return of the UK/IU series on neutral courts. Those were some epic battles years ago.

7. J-Dub421
    11:12 am June 2, 2017 Permalink

Austin Rivers is terrible. The only reason he’s in the NBA is because he plays for his daddy.

• J-Dub421
      11:14 am June 2, 2017 Permalink

Also, the Clippers cut Darius Miller for Austin Rivers, so I dislike him even more. And that little schmuck was a Dukie.

• RealCatsFan
      11:19 am June 2, 2017 Permalink

He always seemed a bit like a spoiled punk to me.

8. secrick
    11:14 am June 2, 2017 Permalink

Go BATCATS beat Ohio. Can’t wiat to knock the cards out of the Super.

• J-Dub421
      11:21 am June 2, 2017 Permalink

That would be sweet.

• RealCatsFan
      11:24 am June 2, 2017 Permalink

Yep, would rank right up there with knocking their football team off at PJ’s last year, and also knocking their BB team out of the tourney multiple years. 🙂

• J-Dub421
      11:32 am June 2, 2017 Permalink

There are few things in life better than knocking Louisville out of a season ending tournament in anything.

• RealCatsFan
      11:53 am June 2, 2017 Permalink

Kind of along the same lines, got to meet an ex-UL volleyball player last night. Janelle Jenkins graduated from UofL last year, and she came to coach a few drills for our club team. Very nice young lady – I’m a Cats fan all the way, but it’s hard not to pull for Janelle.

9. RealCatsFan
    11:22 am June 2, 2017 Permalink

Chester playing golf sounds pretty epic. He probably plays like my brother. We were playing at Weisinger in Simpsonville one time and on the first tee he sliced a ball into someone’s back yard. The homeowner saw it happen and to discourage us playing the ball from his yard, he let this huge horse of a dog out into the back yard. Well, my bro tee’ed up for his mulligan and sliced another ball into the yard – striking the do squarely on the hindquarters. Fortunately the dog was not harmed – just got a quick yelp from him (reminds me of a Cal/Tipton incident), and the owner took him back inside.

That hole has forever been known as the “dogleg hole” in our circles ever since, even though the fairway is straight as an arrow. 🙂

10. Realme
    11:28 am June 2, 2017 Permalink

Cool story bro.

11. RealCatsFan
    11:28 am June 2, 2017 Permalink

What are the percentages of players going to the NBA out of HS who become superstars, versus the number of players who played college for at least one year? Pretty low. I don’t see how an extra year or two of exposure in college hurts the NBA model that much. If the colleges actually directed them to some business and money oriented courses that could actually help them in life, along with possibly some health / substance dependency courses to educate them about some of the pitfalls of stardom, it would serve the NBA (and the players) well.

• J-Dub421
      11:33 am June 2, 2017 Permalink

I can only think of three, Kemp, Kobe, and Lebron.

• J-Dub421
      11:36 am June 2, 2017 Permalink

The coaching and development in college is far superior to the D-League, especially at a program like Kentucky. Also, UK is really good about giving our players media training, teaching them about proper nutrition and weight training, money management, etc.

• Moses Malone, Tracy McGrady, and I think Daryl Dawkins (aka “Chocolate Thunder”), went straight out of high school. I remember UK was recruiting McGrady pretty heavily.

12. RealCatsFan
    11:31 am June 2, 2017 Permalink

Not a big fan of movie stars in general, but Gal Gadot is smooooking hot. She was Miss Israel several years ago, and has a couple of kids – which makes her more impressive to me. She also served in the military in her native Israel.

13. Realme
    11:37 am June 2, 2017 Permalink

Matt’s going to get this guy fired for snap-chatting obscenities on the clock.

14. 2thepoint
    11:47 am June 2, 2017 Permalink

I remember Moses Malone, Kevin Garnett, Tracy McGrady as great players that made the jump from high school to the pros.