Is the Malik Newman/Diamond Stone package deal officially dead?

newman-stone-qm

At the UAA Finals in Atlanta, Malik Newman told reporters that the package deal between him and Diamond Stone was still on, only for Diamond Stone to say it was 50/50 about an hour later. This morning, Newman tweeted that Stone will announce his decision before he will, and for the first time, said they may not pick the same school:

Stone will announce his decision on National Signing Day in November, and it was expected all along that Newman will wait until the spring. Both players have offers from Kentucky, but it seems Stone is leaning more towards UConn these days. Hopefully, Newman implying that the package deal is pretty much over means he’s looking elsewhere…like Kentucky.

11 Comments for Is the Malik Newman/Diamond Stone package deal officially dead?

1. Ridge Runner
    1:18 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

Not sure ’bout you Ms T or others… but this on & off package deal is makin’ my head hurt.

2. Casper
    1:22 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

my head hurts worrying about the 2015 class. Cal must be worried too, he has thrown out a record number of offers.

• UKBlue1!
      2:01 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

Every time I start to worry about recruiting…..I remind myself, John Calipari is in control. We no longer have have to wait for Tubby to put together a last minute class of recruits.

3. cracka
    1:23 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

he’s announcing 11/12, that seems like forever away and who knows what will happen between now and then …

From another recent article “Newman plans to wait until the spring, though he would like to narrow his list to 5 or 6 six schools by the end of the summer.”

4. jr55
    2:10 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

Yep, this class will go down as one of the most wishy washy classes ever. I think we have offered 100 kids, so it seems. With this class being so critical with the two and thru looming, its a little scary at this point. But really who knows?? Only Cal I guess

• A21catsFAN
      2:44 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

No, only 12 not including Charles Matthews. We are not Kansas. This class will be just fine.

5. Big Blue Earl
    2:28 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

I think the possibility of all the bigs we have that could return next season (Lee, Lyles, Willis) might scare away a few, but Coach will add one or two more anyway. Wings will be the spot in the most need of incoming talent in this class. I look for a class that is guard/ wing heavy and maybe one big. I trust in Cal.

6. CPACAT
    2:51 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

I would think that college coaches, at any level, would do all they could to discourage this “package deal” idea that crops up occasionally. No coach, independent of level of coaching, should want the high school kids dictating who is on their team. When will the first 3 or 4 person “package deal” come about. What if that group gets on campus and says, “Fire the coach or we are all leaving.” This is just a real bad precedent to set.

7. James K
    5:04 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

Is it just me or there something slightly testy about that tweet?