I’m surprised by Texas…

CharlieStrongGetsPaid

I must admit, I’m somewhat surprised the Charlie Strong is likely to be the next head coach of what is arguably the most powerful college football program in the country.  While I think Strong is a quality head coach who has obviously done a good job at Louisville, he has not proven–at least in my opinion–that he is the elite coach that most people expected Texas to hire.  When it was rumored yesterday that Texas was down to Strong and James Franklin, I expected that a decision would be made in favor of James Franklin. Franklin has done a tremendous job at a cellar-dwelling program while being (somewhat) shackled by the academic standards at Vanderbilt.  Before I go any further, I want to make clear to the Louisville folks that read this blog that I am not poo pooing what Charlie Strong has done at Louisville.  He took a team that hadn’t had a winning season in three years (surprise of Card Nation, you have not been a perennial powerhouse for years now), and immediately began winning.

With that being said, when you have an excellent quarterback, you have a chance to win games in college football.  Charlie Strong was 14-12 at Louisville prior to Teddy Bridgewater’s arrival in Louisville.  Before you point out that Charlie Strong secured Bridgewater’s commitment to the Cards, let me admit this is true and thus he deserves the credit for Bridgewater’s performance.  Still, an argument could be made (and indeed it is being made by quite a few wary Longhorn fans), that Strong’s astounding success at a traditionally unsuccessful school is directly correlated to the heroics of his star quarterback.  Would Strong have been able to duplicate this level of success with a Reggie Bonnafon or a Kyle Bolin? Would Strong have been able to compete week in and week out against a higher level of competition similar to that which would be afforded to him in the ACC, and now possibly the Big 12? These are huge unanswered questions that I am surprised the Texas Longhorns are willing to leave unanswered.

If I were a Texas fan, here are some tidbits that would make me cringe:

1. In four years as the head coach, Strong and the Cards have played THREE teams in the top 25–Strong’s record in those games is 2-1.  Look, I get that you can only beat who you play.  I’m truly not trying to knock Strong or Louisville for that matter. But this is Texas and I am surprised they wouldn’t set their sights on a more proven commodity.

2. The Texas job is similar to the Kentucky basketball coaching job.  The position is bigger than just coaching his team on Saturday’s.  Strong would not merely be a head coach but also an important state figure.  Even Card fans have knocked Strong’s ability to deal with the media. Being a public figure might not suit him.  In the end, winning football games would rectify that but as a result of this shortcoming, Strong’s shelf-life at Texas might not be as long if the success isn’t almost immediate.

3.  Game management has been an issue under Strong.  While he has undeniably compiled an impressive record in the past two years with Teddy Bridgewater at the reins, many supposedly ‘gimme’ games have been a lot closer than Louisville fans would have liked.

In the end, I’m assuming that the people running the Texas coaching search are smart.  Presumably, they have done their due diligence and have decided that Charlie Strong is the best man for the job. If he takes the job, I hope that Charlie Strong succeeds. He has carried himself well, seems likable and outside of the infamous five core values of Louisville football (no drugs, guns, hitting women, etc.), hasn’t given Kentucky bloggers much to make fun of.  These are all issues that Bobby Petrino would happily rectify–I hear Louisville’s basketball coach is already planning a welcome home party at Porcinis.

Article written by Matt Wheatley

73 Comments for I’m surprised by Texas…

1. Gavin S.
    9:42 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Since you were being so diplomatic about it, let me say it for you. Strong is going to exposed for the mediocre coach that he really is at Texas. I wish he were staying, personally. If Petrino comes back then the Cards will own us for many more years.

• Bull Filmer
      8:21 am January 5, 2014 Permalink

Gavin S., I agree.

2. Clint Hurtt
    9:42 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Wait a second I got Teddy B. to Louisville.

• Clint Hurtt
      9:47 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Along with a bunch of other kids that wouldn’t give UofL the time of day.

• Hurtt's Hooker's, Dealer's, and Money's Union Rep
      9:49 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Sure you did. Just like you got all those kids to Miami without our help. 😉

• Charlie Strong
      9:51 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Hush Clint I want that Texas money before the sanctions hit us both.

• Clint Hurtt
      9:53 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Thank goodness for money!

• Tom Jurich's Guy
      9:54 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Don’t worry it won’t see the light of day. Just like Behan…..jailba….feti…..whoops.

3. james Franklin
    Title
    Head coach
    Team
    Vanderbilt
    Conference
    SEC
    Record
    24—15 (.615)
    Biographical details
    Born
    February 2, 1972 (age 41)
    Langhorne, Pennsylvania
    Maryland (WR)
    Green Bay Packers (WR)
    Kansas State (OC/QB)
    Maryland (OC)
    Vanderbilt

Head coaching record
    Overall
    24—15 (.615)

Bowls
    2—

4. Charlie Strong
    Head coach
    Team
    Louisville Cardinals
    Record
    37—15 (.712)
    Born
    August 2, 1960 (age 53)
    Batesville, Arkansas
    Playing career

1980—1983
    Central Arkansas

Coaching career (HC unless noted)

1983—1984
    1985
    1986—1987
    1988—1989
    1990
    1991—1994
    1995—1998
    1999—2001
    2002—2009

2010—present

Florida (Graduate asst)
    Texas A&M (Graduate asst)
    Southern Illinois (WR)
    Florida (OLB)
    Ole Miss (WR)
    Florida (Asst HC/DT)
    Notre Dame (DE / DT)
    South Carolina (DC)
    Florida (DC/DE)
    Florida (interim HC)
    Florida (Asst HC/co-DC/LB)
    Louisville<br

Head coaching record

5. Shelbyjoe
    9:44 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

If UL were to have played Vanderbilt in a bowl game, i would take the cards by about 21. Of course a coach is better if he has a great QB, that’s a no-brainer. Strong will do very well at texas.

6. I’m truly not trying to knock Strong or Louisville for that matter. But this is Texas and I am surprised they wouldn’t set their sights on a more proven commodity. James Franklin for instance

It’s obvious you don’t know what your talking about. Try writing with facts instead of your fandom and dislike of Louisville.

7. Shelbyjoe
    9:48 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Petrino is NOT coming back to UL. He burned every bridge imaginable when he left. Not even tom jurich would stoop that low..well, maybe he would.

• Louisville1Cal5
      10:00 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Tommy Turtleneck would strangle a kitten for a W in any sport regardless of the opponent.

• Tom Jurich's Guy
      10:05 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Shut your mouth. He only did that one time and he let the kitten go as soon as he got aroused.

8. Bobby P
    9:55 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Last I remember the BBN was clamoring for my hire, over fat ass Stoops and then guess what I whooped his ass. Athletic directors jobs are their to make money for their schools through athletic’s. not to be morality police, if that’s the case Calipari would have been out of coaching years ago. So I will probably be gracing the sidelines of papa johns soon. I know the BBN fears that shit.

• Ricky P
      9:58 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Exactly you and I could hit the gym together during the cheerleading practice. Speed date.

• Tom Jurich's Guy
      10:03 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

You two stop it. Petino you alone have keep me busy as hell with the bs excuses to why we are suspending players. Coming up with minor things, making sure the media bites, then letting them back on the team…that’s my job. If it doesn’t stick then we let them go for real and let the media swim and shovel their way to the horrendous truth we hid then deny everything. God it’s good to own the local news.

• Louisville1Cal5
      10:05 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Congratulations, you beat a team full of Jokers players, that’s definitely something you want to brag about LOL Oh & Pitino would be out of a job too if that was the case, killing unborn children is generally frowned upon in most places, except UofL apparently.

• ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      10:07 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Virus

• Blueneck
      10:17 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Virus? I use an iphone so I don’t know what that is. Played fine for me.

If their is a virus, my apologies. Copied from my browser after seeing it on twitter.

• ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      10:30 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

I don’t think it is.

9. Blueneck
    10:03 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Answer me this smart guys:
    If Vandy played the Cards schedule what would their record have been?

• Louisville1Cal5
      10:07 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

They would be playing FSU instead of Auburn.

• ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      10:08 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

12-0

10. Eidos the Prophet
    10:08 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

This is why Kentucky fans and sports writers should stick to basketball. They embarrass themselves at every stage when Football is the subject at hand.

• ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      10:09 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Unlike Louisville who just embarrasses themselves irregardless.

• Irregardless
      10:24 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Priceless…

11. Boomer Sooner
    10:14 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Too funny. The Big12 owns the SEC.

• Charlie Strong
      10:17 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

You should be happy with me there. We’ll never beat Oklahoma again.

• LOL
      10:21 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

I suppose that’s true since the Big12 has won soooo many Championships over the last few years.

• BBN
      10:26 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

They both have one win against each other in bowl games . Current bowl records – big 12 – 3 and 3, sec – 7 and 2. Come with substance – move along troll.

12. I doubt that.
    10:15 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

In order for Louisville people to embarrass themselves they actual have to have self worth. That is not possible because it is an unchangeable contradiction. Being pro Louisville in any way is in itself a proof of no dignity.

13. We have beat Florida
    10:19 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

I’m sure if we had vandys record it would not be 2-10 , we have beaten Florida go do that first then come holla back.

• Charlie Strong
      10:22 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

They didn’t even try in that game. Please stop. You’re giving me a headache. If anyone is wondering it’s people with this sheer lack of understanding of football that give me reason to go to Texas.

• Louisville1Cal5
      10:23 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Okay okay, 3-9. Last I checked UK has beaten Florida before, soooooo….

• Irregardless
      10:28 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Uk beat Florida? Did your grandpa tell you that?

• tiredOfHearingThis
      10:31 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Okay, why is it that people say Florida didn’t try in the Sugar Bowl against Louisville because it was not the national title game they wanted, but I’ve heard no one, this year, say that Alabama didn’t try against Oklahoma when it was the same exact situation (not the national title game) ?

• Clint Hurtt
      10:32 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Louisville couldn’t beat UK till I got there. So I must be the good coach not Charlie.

• Clint Hurtt
      10:36 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Louisville beat them and you won a trophy against a ok team that’s won a conference that shouldn’t even be AQ. OU beat them and you won a trophy and beat a good team that deserved to be there and actually counts for something.

• Tony
      12:37 pm January 5, 2014 Permalink

At least us UK fans know who are fathers and grandfather are !!! Don’t see a lot of UK fans wondering the streets of the West end of Louisville asking each pimp and drug dealer…..u be my daddy’z?

14. ~ Hale * yeaH ~
    10:23 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

geez dude…you F’d up your first sentence. hard to read the rest..

15. JugWayne
    10:25 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Strong leaves, Louisville hires Cutliffe from Duke and then after Golden leaves for Penn State, Miami hires Bobby P and he turns them into a powerhouse

• Batting .500
      10:31 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Cutcliffe is about 10 years too old for Louisville and, will still be about 10 years too young for uk when Stupes gets canned in two years.

16. kramer
    10:40 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Strong = Petrino both have the wandering eye!! won’t change, Strong stays another job opens he has 1 foot out the door, Petrino comes, I SEC job opens bye bye!!!

17. kramer
    10:42 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

just roll with coaching changes nothing fans can do about them, it they don’t want to stick around……

18. L1C5
    11:03 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

The writting was on the wall the whole time with Musch Mouth. Last year he told you TARDS to be more like #BBN. He just wants to coach for a passionate Fan base. Can you blame him? Texas fans will show up to games any day of the week……..nevermind- Texas doesn’t play during the week.
    Good luck Chawly, you were able to succeed without actually ever having to work that hard.

19. hooters
    11:03 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Whas TV reporting cholly has accepted Texas job wow

20. hooters
    11:09 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Wonder if card fans will poop in chollys pool:-) 🙂 h

• Circle Jerk
      11:18 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

It’ll be a lot worse then that. Louis fans sister won’t be getting any for awhile because their brother’s will be all dried up.

21. Hal
    11:39 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

what is the point of this post??? maybe strong does well at UT or maybe not.
    the whole “i dont care about uofl, but if i were a UT fan i’d be really worried” is so dumb.
    its easy to recruit to texas and strong has a lot of FL recruiting ties. hes gonna get good talent there. it appears a few coaches turned UT down before charlie so he may not be the perfect fit for them. oh well.
    the “take away bridgewater and that easy schedule” is such a stupid and ignorant argument.

• Blueneck
      2:47 am January 5, 2014 Permalink

How can the easy schedule NOT matter? Ask James Franklin if it matters. When you are favored in every game you play it’s a matter of just not screwing things up.

When people talk about how awesome a recruiter he is, how many top 25 classes does he have again? Not as many as Franklin even. Or maybe they are just saying he must be great if he can get kids to come to Louisville.

I’m not saying Strong is a bad coach (Joker was a bad coach). It’s just that Teddy is so good it often seemed like Teddy was bailing them out, often in games that should not have been close. I think 15 years from now people may be saying Teddy won in spite of his coaches because he was so good. It’s the reason people knew Strong was gone cause he would have a lot to prove in ACC with no Teddy. At UT he can hope to out talent other teams if he can recruit up to his rep.

22. Evan
    11:49 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Bashing a coach who has already won at a school yet praising a coach (Stoops) who has yet to win at a school. Seems legit. Keep up the good work! BTW, looks like that great recruiting class may not be as good and locked up as you thought. Elam not committing to UK yet isnt a good sign….and what about all those Ohio boys you all were going to get? Not sold on Stoops yet.

• Bull Filmer
      8:31 am January 5, 2014 Permalink

…………………….Evan, all that recruiting hype is all advertising press by KSR on behalf of 247sports (who owns them now).

23. Larry
    12:14 am January 5, 2014 Permalink

Louisville is, always was, and always will be, a stepping stone program.

• You should know
      7:33 am January 5, 2014 Permalink

Whereas Kentucky is, always was, and always will be – a headstone program.

• Bull Filmer
      8:41 am January 5, 2014 Permalink

………………………….Larry’s correct. Tulsa is like that in Basketball. However, since moving up in conferences (what preceded the Metro???) up and up to the ACC now, they appear to be more of a destination. However, Duke, in football, has had this issue; as has UNC. Even O’Leary left GA Tech for ND. This as opposed to the SEC, where every coach wants to be, and typically remains until fired or retired.

• Larry
      11:17 am January 5, 2014 Permalink

YouShouldKnow – You mad bro?

24. James
    12:45 am January 5, 2014 Permalink

I am surprised about this. Charlie does not have the speaking skills that are very important at a big time program like Texas. He will need to win fast and often. His leash will be very short.

• Prix Diction
      8:49 am January 5, 2014 Permalink

The guy that was fired as ELMO will be hired by TEXAS and will be doing voice overs for coach.

Once they learn he’s Gay, they’ll fire him because in Texas there’s steers and queers – and they can’t steer queer.

So, they will replace ELMO’s voice ‘queer’, they will replace him with the voice of the GEICO Gecko until he messes with Texas.

At which point, it won’t matter because Strong will have become Weak from the real Head Coach job in arguably thee most difficult football conference – and will be replaced.

• Graham Errr
      8:52 am January 5, 2014 Permalink

It don’t matter none – hail, most folk in Texas cain’t talk normal any who……unless they speak mexican…..and even the mexicans ain’t gat no speaking’ skeeils.

25. dewskilowe
    5:36 am January 5, 2014 Permalink

Com’on dude Strong was recommended extremely high ranking people!! Yeah he will have to touch up on some media skills, and I’m not comparing him to Nick Saban, but Saban is so cold rude to the media and you know why he can do this? You guessed it Saban wins! We all need a reality check, yeah Strong was 14-12 before Bridgewater so what at least he won with talent. Some coaches have all the talent it the world and still can’t win. Strong won 2 big bowl games against a very good Florida and Miami teams! Yes Franklin is a very very good coach there is no question and maybe down the road he may have been the choice rather than Strong! But think about his recruiting? He doesn’t have to leave the state! Could you imagine if the State of Kentucky had high school bball talent like Texas has football? I think the AD at Texas hired a very good coach, I also remember hearing many quotes from Louisville football players and some Gators saying Coach Strong is a father figure to them. He will get players to come there and they will believe and they will win some games! FYI just because you play in the toughest football conference you shouldn’t think you know it all about other schools. Did you know the last UK coach to leave UK Blanton Collier in 1961! For years U of L was a job where coaches went to die, but I think the tides has turned and UK is the place coaches die!! Best of Luck to Stoops but he has a long road ahead of him!

26. Rei
    6:58 am January 5, 2014 Permalink

UL and UK have pretty similar all time records overall. Regular season and bowl victories. UL has the Sugar Bowl, UK has the 1950 National Championship. Not sure how UL is a “powerhouse” in any way at all. They’re like the North Carolina or Duke of the AAC. Soon to be the Wake Forest of the ACC.

• You should know
      7:37 am January 5, 2014 Permalink

That NC isn’t recognized anywhere. Don’t even get me started on 4-5 of your faux basketball NCs.

• Larry
      11:16 am January 5, 2014 Permalink

Our national championships are only faux to Loserville fans. We own the basketball series with Loserville, and we have a national championship in football, whether you like it or not. You can’t change the criteria by which programs are measured just because you’re mad bro.

27. BluKudzu
    7:16 am January 5, 2014 Permalink

The Franklin vs. Strong as a coach for Texas is loaded with speculation. The Texas job is huge, expectations are ridiculous, and pressure will be more than anyone has ever experienced.
    Strong knows the game as well as anyone. It is about winning. To win you need to recruit. He will. He has the chance to do something extremely special, and ethics be damned, he will get the players. Another item Charlie knows is defense. Talk all day long about star QBs in college, defense wins championships. If they can’t score, they can’t win. Strong is as good a defensive strategy guy as there is. That is what Texas used to hang their hats on.
    The one issue he better be ready to handle is Texas Pride (Using Home grown Texas kids to win). If he does not get that very critical aspect of the job, it will be interesting to see how the coaching position works for Strong.
    Texas football is a bit of a different breed. Billionaires back the Longhorns, and they expect very much for their dollars. Texas pride folks. He learns to work it or he will not last long. I am betting he will.

28. John
    7:27 am January 5, 2014 Permalink

So Strong gets zero credit? The win/loss record before Teddy’s arrival cited above as evidence of Strong’s mediocrity is laughable. C’mon people. He inherited a Krapthorpe legacy. Let’s hope our record looks that good at the end of next year. Strong recruits talent and rights the ship. He did what we hope Stoops will do here after the Joker debacle. Only on this website could folks get by with this nonsense. Good gracious, it’s hard to even read the articles anymore on here.

The guy earned the job. He beat out the remaining talent after Mora, Saban, and the Baylor coach passed. Why do we give a sh*t what Texas does? I guess KSR wants anybody affiliated with UL at anytime to fail? We are pathetic.

29. John
    7:32 am January 5, 2014 Permalink

Questions remain whether Phil Jackson is a great coach…what would he have done without Jordan , Pippen, Kobe, Shaquille, etc.

30. Louisville Sports Radio???
    8:10 am January 5, 2014 Permalink

I must be at the wrong blog…. is this Louisville Sports Radio? I get that this is important news in the college sports world, but I don’t care who, what, when, where, why or how anything about Louisville Sports! I come here to read all things BBN!!!

31. statman
    11:35 am January 5, 2014 Permalink

To say that Strong is only a good coach when he has a good QB is a lame statement. ANY coach is only as a good as his players, and Strong should be able to recruit much better talent at Texas than UL. Heck, Coach Stoops will be a better coach once we get a pretty good QB on campus.

32. UKBlue1!
    2:14 pm January 5, 2014 Permalink

I admire the job he did at UL. I think it is career suicide going to Texas. He doesn’t like dealing with the media. He is going to have a whole lot of media obligations at Texas. The will put the butts in the seats that he wants but I expect in about year number two he will realize its not what he thought it would be. As far as as the new hire at UofL. I fully expect Jurich to hire Petrino. He is NOT stupid. He is the best available coach and will hire him. When it comes to morale aspect UL doesn’t care or Pitino wouldn’t be coaching.

33. jake
    4:30 pm January 5, 2014 Permalink

it goes well beyond just coaching. Yes, you have to be a good coach but Charlie Strong can recruit, Texas can now tap into states they haven’t been able to in a long time