Ignore the yelling in College Station tonight, it’s normal

(Photo: Texas A&M)

Texas A&M fans are weird. They drink beer with their class rings in it, they say “Howdy” to all incoming freshmen, and they insist you call their cheerleaders “yell leaders.”

They also have a long tradition of meeting up at the stadium on Friday nights to yell like crazy people. So tonight at midnight, tens of thousands of A&M fans will meet at Kyle Field for their “Midnight Yell” tradition, also known as their “Yell Practice.”

The practice of yelling began way back in 1913 and they’ve been screaming at the top of their lungs ever since. The crowd will also sing “The Aggie War Hymn” and listen to the cheerleaders — I mean, yell leaders — tell how the Aggies are going to beat their opponent, which in this case, is Kentucky. The whole process lasts over an hour and then everyone goes home and goes to bed, only to get back up to go back to the stadium the next day.

We talkin’ about yell practice, man. Not a game, not a game, not a game. We talkin’ about yell practice. How silly is that, man? We talkin’ about yell practice. We talkin’ about yell practice. We ain’t even talkin’ about the game. We talkin’ about yell practice.

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Drew Franklin

28 Comments for Ignore the yelling in College Station tonight, it’s normal

1. BullittCoCat
    12:11 pm October 5, 2018 Permalink

Dorks

2. Bluebloodtoo
    12:20 pm October 5, 2018 Permalink

People say we are crazy for one bbm campout a year, but these guys get 10k people in the stadium at midnight before every home game to “practice yelling”!?

3. Iamheasyouarehe
    12:22 pm October 5, 2018 Permalink

I’m with Iverson on this one. Who practices yelling?

4. J-Dub421
    12:23 pm October 5, 2018 Permalink

We’re the BBN. We don’t have to practice being fans. It comes naturally.

• Bluebloodtoo
      9:09 pm October 5, 2018 Permalink

Idk…there definitely some fans that could use practice, or maybe just supercharge their seat warmers.

• satcheluk
      7:46 am October 6, 2018 Permalink

I disagree. We have a lot of fans, especially in basketball, who could use practice.

5. USMC5150
    12:26 pm October 5, 2018 Permalink

Sadly at the game vs South Carolina there were people all around me who wouldn’t stand or yell the entire game. I just don’t get why you’re going to go to the game and sit there with your arms crossed and look annoyed for fans cheering on the team.

6. ClutchCargo
    12:34 pm October 5, 2018 Permalink

I have always wished we had more “tradition” stuff we do at games, and still think the blue/white and c-a-t-s things leave something to be desired. But if yell practice is the alternative, then… nope, I’m good.

7. Larkin123
    12:36 pm October 5, 2018 Permalink

They have such great traditions there. I think they’re very unique.

• runningunnin.454
      1:08 pm October 5, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, once upon a time, when they beat Texas they were treated to a trip to the Chicken Ranch…for some, um, entertainment.
      Of course, we haven’t had anything like that…but UL does.

• jondrums
      1:26 pm October 5, 2018 Permalink

Yes they do. Don’t know why its dorky to sound louder and more organized than any top European soccer Ultras. they create a pretty amazing and intimidating atmosphere. Wish we could be half as organized. But we can be loud, and we can go win this one! Go Cats!

• Iamheasyouarehe
      1:33 pm October 5, 2018 Permalink

Nope it is totally dorky. I have always loved UK sports but at no time would I spend my Saturday night practicing yelling….unless it could be done from home or by phone. Ha Ha

8. Iamheasyouarehe
    1:02 pm October 5, 2018 Permalink

Just ran into Tony Barbee, that is a big man!

9. Kat4Life
    1:33 pm October 5, 2018 Permalink

Like watching 40000 people in a Village People video

10. jaws2
    2:17 pm October 5, 2018 Permalink

It’s called tradition. Something the under 30 crowd would have no idea about. If you don’t think this motivates a team, you’ve never worn a uniform. How about you geniuses give me ONE tradition we have that comes close to this in football. What, 2 bits?

• CoachCat
      3:29 pm October 5, 2018 Permalink

Cat Walk

• jaws2
      3:53 pm October 5, 2018 Permalink

Sure, no other schools do THAT!!! Seriously, that’s what you’ve got? C’mon MAN!!!

• runningunnin.454
      4:18 pm October 5, 2018 Permalink

Don’t the players touch the statues of the four African-American players that integrated SEC football?
      Don’t we still play My Old Kentucky Home before games?
      And, I liked filling the stadium with smoke so the TV announcers didn’t have a clue what was happening…Ha ha ha.

• CayutsBy90
      5:28 pm October 5, 2018 Permalink

A football uniform?

• jaws2
      5:40 pm October 5, 2018 Permalink

Sure, if we go to simple full blown Alabama or Penn St uniforms, except with the power K helmets. Oh, and in school colors only. Just like those guys. That my friends is TRADITION!

• Bluebloodtoo
      9:07 pm October 5, 2018 Permalink

Seriously though, why couldn’t they do a throwback uni with the power K helmets…they get like 15 sets every year.

11. jaws2
    5:36 pm October 5, 2018 Permalink

Playing My Old Kentucky Home has nothing to do with cheering, and there is ZERO motivating about it. Neither does touching the statues. If the statues were on the field, or they showed it on the jumbotron maybe. Like Clemson with the rock at the top of the stadium end zone coming down the hill. So far, you guys have got nothing remotely close to tradition. My suggestion has always been the same; singing the fight song right before the coin toss. No stinkn’ band playing. Just a loud chorus overcoming all else! I guarantee it ‘ll get there attention. The team LOVES singing it in the locker room after wins.
    Frankly, I doubt 30% of the Commonwealth crowd even knows the words! AND BRING HOME THE VICTORY!!!!!

12. UKrulesall
    8:17 pm October 5, 2018 Permalink

UK fan but that is amazing! The energy would be off the charts!!

13. Ranch
    9:18 am October 6, 2018 Permalink

That’s cute, now we kick their ass!