I guess we should probably talk about it (Thursday Show Thread)

You all know what happened last night. I don’t need to tell you. I guess we’ll talk about it on today’s KSR. Or not. Regardless, tune in for our last show before Christmas.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

affiliate-list

57 Comments for I guess we should probably talk about it (Thursday Show Thread)

1. Sentient Third Eye
    10:01 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

Seriously, the loss did not bother me much. We saw the best Louisville had because they played out of their minds good, and that was basically equal to one of our worst performances of the year. After Camp Cal and the team’s gelling over the next two months, I cannot imagine Louisville being able to play the Cats within single digits if they see one another again.

2. Realme
    10:01 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

Congrats to Cats Paw and all of his troll friends. Your team outplayed ours.

3. ukjaybrat
    10:12 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

agree with you guys. i kept saying all night if monk was even a shell of his normal self that game would have been much different. louisville fans are pretending their defense completely shut him down (which yes, it was a factor) but man was missing wide open shots. the defense had nothing to do with those. Just had a bad shooting night and nobody else really stepped up.

I didn’t like that we forced way too many post possessions against one of the better shot blocking teams in the nation. what did you think was going to happen? the road officiating giving you those foul calls? not gonna happen. they’d be lucky to get those calls at home. I thought some of those were just bad decisions.

But whatever. it is what it is. ultimately, i’m not worried about losing a road game in december. just sucks it was to them. we will be fine. 4 days off then back to camp cal.

• Sentient Third Eye
      10:25 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

I do give Louisville credit for Monk’s bad game, mainly because they lured him into a lot of bad shots that were basically just one-on-one moves. Yes, he can make those on a on-night, but playing the odds, he’s going to have an “off-night” most times he selects his shots in that way. Basically, he played into the Cards’ hands. But, he’ll learn. We’ve seen this same thing every few years. They all learn.

4. Rod Crandler
    10:17 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

Q scoring 22 was not the issue. They only scored 73 points. Our issue was on the offensive end.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:54 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

This is the best analysis yet. UK not scoring 80+ was really the problem. Louisville did have some part in that.

5. runningunnin.454
    10:26 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

It’s OK, it’s December. Saw some good things, Bam being more assertive, some good minutes from Gabriel and Willis, who had 9 rebounds against a good rebounding team.
    Just an off shooting night and the old 1st true road game jinx.
    I had watched 4 UL games prior to last night, and they didn’t shoot like they did last night; it wasn’t our defense, they missed wide open looks in the earlier games.

6. Realme
    10:27 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

I predict that unless we meet in the tourney with different results, Pitino will retire. I think he’s been trying to hold on until he could finally win this game.

7. JC Ice
    10:30 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

At least we still have that L’s down picture.

• runningunnin.454
      10:32 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

And, we have the 32-16 overall series record.

• Booby Petrino
      10:51 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

L2C8 Ls down always

• Sentient Third Eye
      11:02 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

@runningunnin.454, you could say that the Cards were due, since their win make the series exactly 2-1 all-time in favor of the Cats. I would take winning two out of three into perpetuity.

8. J-Dub421
    10:45 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

If cats paw hasn’t shown up yet to gloat, then he probably did get banned. There’s no way he would miss this opportunity voluntarily.

• Realme
      10:47 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

#FREECATSPAW

• Booby Petrino
      10:51 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

He knows he’ll have to talk football and his man Bobby p if he comes back around

9. J-Dub421
    10:46 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

We did not shoot well last night. Some of it was poor shot selection, but some of it was just a bad shooting night. It sucked, but c’est la vie.

10. Realme
    10:47 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

I enjoyed the football win a lot more than I suffered from losing the basketball game.

• J-Dub421
      10:52 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

A couple of my cousins will talk smack to me at Christmas most likely, but other than that it will be fine.

• runningunnin.454
      10:59 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

I would just say…..41-38, and did you see that Heisman pose….Heisman fumble.

• ukkatzfan
      11:01 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

I will take the football game every year and give them the basketball game. Football game is last of season. While basketball game is 2 1/2 months before the basketball team needs to be playing good.

• J-Dub421
      11:03 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

I don’t like losing to U of L in anything ever.

• RealCatsFan
      11:23 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

I think with the football loss coupled with all of the scandals that have been going on over there, most UofL fans who are at least halfway sane know that winning the basketball game gives them very little to gloat over. If they had blown us out, maybe, but not for a close loss at their place. Now if they manage to go further than us in the tournament, you might hear more chirping from them. Hopefully that will not happen!

11. J-Dub421
    10:52 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

K only suspended Allen because he was shamed into it by the media.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:56 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

Truth there. The media blitz was pretty overwhelming. K’s character and integrity are both highly overrated.

• J-Dub421
      10:58 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

This is at least the third time Allen tripped someone. I can maybe see giving him a pass fr the first, but Allen should have been suspended after the second time. If K was going to do anything on his own, he wouldn’t have played Allen in the second half and defended him in the press conference after the game.

• Realme
      11:01 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

I hope the conference decides to define the indefinite suspension.

• J-Dub421
      11:03 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

It’s the ACC, they won’t.

12. Rod Crandler
    10:55 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

I have a kid that has panic attacks. Allen had a panic attack.

• J-Dub421
      10:56 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

Allen had a temper tantrum like a petulant toddler, not a panic attack.

• Rod Crandler
      10:57 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

Not making excuses for the tripping. Total punk move but the reaction on the bench looked like a panic attack to me.

• Realme
      10:58 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

If being held accountable by a referee makes him have a panic attack, he needs serious help.

• Rod Crandler
      11:00 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

I agree. He does need help. It’s a serious thing. I have had to deal with it and it does require therapy and teaching a person how to manage it.

• Rod Crandler
      11:01 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

And again…being a punk and tripping someone is not what I’m talking about. I’m talking about the reaction on the bench when a coach has to hold you down.

• Sticky Ceiling
      11:10 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

Sorry I disagree. This was an example of “having a fit because you were not getting what you wanted”. Seems to be a growing “disease” these days. My 33 year old sister-in-law also has panic attacks, every time she is told “no” or doesnt hear the answer she wants. Kids need to grow up and stop crying for mommy.

• RealCatsFan
      11:13 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

Reminded me of Joe Pesci in “GoodFellas”. “What do you mean, I’m funny?!?”

• RealCatsFan
      11:42 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

Matt talks about it hurting his draft stock. I hope that doesn’t mean that now he comes back for his senior year!

• J-Dub421
      11:50 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

Allen is another one of Duke’s guys who is a pretty good college player, but I can’t see him being successful as a pro.

13. Realme
    11:01 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

Maybe this will cause officials to stop giving Allen the benefit of the doubt on all of his flops. It was big that they t’d him up. Maybe seeing his meltdown will make them want to stop letting him get away with all the other nonsense.

14. runtsfan
    11:17 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

I think last night is an excellent example of the “Rick versus Cal” systems. Rick was trying to win the game, doing whatever it took. Cal showcases his NBA-bound recruits in front of the scouts present. He will not sit one of them when they are playing badly (foul trouble is different), because the next round of recruits are watching. Bench a star in a big, televised game, and the recruits stop coming. In Cal’s lingo, that’s part of being a program that is “about the players”. In that system, if the stars play well, you probably win, but if they don’t, well, sometimes you lose, but it maintains your commitment to your stars, which is why they are at UK. As Cal says, if he won a national title, but had no lottery picks (I don’t remember the exact quote, but you get the picture), the year would be to him “disappointment”. His system works from a financial and entertainment perspective, I just don’t find it very satisfying.

• Realme
      11:24 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

The Cal system wins more games than the Rick one. I’d call winning more games more satisfying.

• Realme
      11:26 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

Not to mention the Cal system beats the Rick system 80 percent of the time.

• J-Dub421
      11:33 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

If you think Cal isn’t trying to win every single game, then you’re crazy.

15. RealCatsFan
    11:26 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

Drew mentions Kyle Wiltcher’s inability to dunk, but I recall that he was measured with a higher vertical than several other UK players (Willie?) at the combine. Unless I have him confused with someone else.

• RealCatsFan
      11:26 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

Meant Jump, not dunk. Cold medicine hangover…

• J-Dub421
      11:32 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

How many times did you see Kyle dunk in a game? Also, Kyle’s vertical may have been higher than expected, but not higher than Willie’s.

• J-Dub421
      11:35 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

Kyle max vert – 35.5, standing – 28
      Willie max vert – 37, standing – 31

• RealCatsFan
      11:41 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

Biggest issue is that Kyle never seems to jump, even though he can. I have a couple of girls on the volleyball team that I coach like that. Drives me nuts! 🙂

16. Just popping in between Christmas shopping jaunts.

The game stunk, but hopefully the Cats learn from it.

About the Grayson Allen tirade: they should have lined up to thrash him like they did the lady in “Airplane” who was going nuts. 😉

• Just one question: why does KSR allow video ads here that stop their own iheart feed from playing on my ipad??? Rant over.

Oh, and Merry Christmas BBN!!!

• RealCatsFan
      11:39 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

“Get ahold of yourself” – SMACK!! I love it – you would have dudes lining up with bats and nunchucks. 🙂

Merry Christmas to you as well, CG!

• CatFanDu
      12:09 pm December 22, 2016 Permalink

Agreed 100% with you CG. Game was a bummer. Grayson Allen needs to feel the wrath of common sense, and Coach K has encouraged him by not reprimanding him promptly.

The video ads 110% – I can’t even log in on here within 5 minutes due to the video ads loading and crashing explorer. Too many ads in general.

17. RealCatsFan
    11:37 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

I rarely agree with Matt about music, but that version of “The Little Drummer Boy” is far superior to the pop version. I guess I am a traditionalist, but I like the old Christmas hymns and songs that actually sing about what this season is all about. I still like traditional Christmas songs like “Santa Clause is Coming to Town”, etc., but the old hymns are the most moving.

• Realme
      11:41 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

Little Drummer Boy, What Child is this, O Holy Night and We Three Kings. I’d like to hear each of these songs once in December and then never have to hear anything else.

• RealCatsFan
      11:44 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

Add “Silent Night” to that list, and also “O Come, O Come Emmanuel”, and it’s complete. 🙂

• RealCatsFan
      11:46 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

As far as the pop songs, I do like Elvis’ version of “Here Comes Santa Clause”, and Bruce Springsteen doing “Santa Clause is Coming to Town”.

18. CatFanDu
    12:11 pm December 22, 2016 Permalink

“Little Drummer Boy” Top of the list.