I can’t get over this bicyclist hit and run story from Nashville

Hit and runs happen everyday, but the one that happened on the Natchez Trace Parkway near Nashville this weekend might take the cake.

If you’re unfamiliar with the Nashville area, the Natchez Trace is a scenic parkway that starts in Williamson County outside the city and winds its way down to Natchez, Mississippi. It’s a beautiful road and, therefore, very popular with bicyclists, to the point that bicyclists are allowed to use a full lane of traffic to ride in when necessary (although federal regulations still require bicyclists to ride single file). On Saturday morning, a bicyclist, Tyler Noe, was hit on the parkway and the driver of the car fled the scene. Unbeknownst to him, the other bicyclist had a GoPro on his helmet, filming the entire incident:

Here’s where the story gets really crazy. The driver of the car is Marshall Neely, who, until very, very recently, was the dean of University School of Nashville (USN), one of the most prestigious private schools in Nashville. USN has since distanced themselves from Neely (smart), who has been taken into custody on multiple charges, including reckless endangerment, leaving the scene of an accident, failure to immediately notify of accident, and failure to render aid. In the arrest report, Neely claimed that “a man and a woman were stranding in the road and threw a bicycle at his car.” Clearly, he was not aware there was footage of the accident.

In the video, you can see Noe pop back up after getting hit, but he was taken to the hospital for several bruises and scrapes; thankfully, none of his injuries are life threatening. Meanwhile, Neely could face additional federal charges this week (the Natchez Trace is a national park). Should Noe have been riding single file? Absolutely. But in my opinion, Neely deserves all the charges coming to him.

[NC5]

46 Comments for I can’t get over this bicyclist hit and run story from Nashville

1. ukjaybrat
    12:52 pm July 10, 2017 Permalink

sounds like the case of “I’m rich so i’m a better human being than you and i deserve the right to run you off the road if you are slowing me down by driving a bike in my way. and i can lie about it because the authorities are going to believe my word over some stupid hippie like you. oh wait. you have video evidence that i’m a scumbag? oh well. i’m rich. i’ll just pay a fine and go back to being a worthless pile of crap human being.”

• Luether
      7:00 pm July 10, 2017 Permalink

This is what entitled Democrats do…

• LimousineLiberal
      7:21 pm July 10, 2017 Permalink

Here’s what entitled sounds like:

“I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody, okay, and I wouldn’t lose any voters, okay?

TwitterInChief

2. runningunnin.454
    12:58 pm July 10, 2017 Permalink

He’s going to need a trio of lawyers to help him with this one. Have you ever seen a jury watch a video tape?

3. JustUrAvg
    12:59 pm July 10, 2017 Permalink

Sounds like someone was driving under the influence. Gotta be a hard hearted person to leave someone laying after watching them go across your hood.

4. CarltonBanks
    1:03 pm July 10, 2017 Permalink

Here’s an idea for Mr. Noe:

Call T.J…. He’ll Make ‘Em Pay!

5. jaws2
    1:03 pm July 10, 2017 Permalink

Hmmm, guess he should’ve been riding single file. And yes, the guy that hit him was blind, stupid, or an asswipe. Or perhaps all three.

• UK Big Board Update
      1:05 pm July 10, 2017 Permalink

Its a road, not a trail, you moron.

Jesus Christ, you are an idiot, stupid, and an asswipe. All three.

• jaws2
      1:11 pm July 10, 2017 Permalink

So sorry to hurt your ‘feelings’ *uckhead! Oh, and who made you the conscience of the KSR boards? You stick your pricknose into every reply you don’t agree with. Yep, IT IS A ROAD and they should have been single file, Federal law. My God you’re such a loser. I’ll use your favorite word, ‘troll’ !

• UK Big Board Update
      1:17 pm July 10, 2017 Permalink

Nowhere does it say that’s a Federal law. You just made that up. My point is, a guy gets hit by a car in a completely visible stretch of open road, and your first comment is basically: “well, he deserved it I guess.”

As long as you keep posting negative bullshit every time you comment, I’m going to continue to call your ass out. Deal with it.

• TBW3011
      2:47 pm July 10, 2017 Permalink

You said that, not him. The driver should be prosecuted. Bicyclists should also stay the hell out of the middle of highways going 10 mph.

• brothermichigan
      1:23 pm July 10, 2017 Permalink

From the Tennessee code:

TCA 55-8-175 – Riding on Roadways and Bike Paths — Penalty

(a) (1) Any person operating a bicycle upon a roadway at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall ride as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, except under any of the following situations:
      (A) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction;
      (B) When preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway; or
      (C) When reasonably necessary to avoid conditions including, but not limited to, fixed or moving objects, parked or moving vehicles, pedestrians, animals, surface hazards, or substandard width lanes that make it unsafe to continue along the right-hand curb or edge. For purposes of this section, “substandard width lane” means a lane that is too narrow for a bicycle and another vehicle to travel safely side by side within the lane.
      (2) This subsection (a) does not apply to a certified police cyclist engaged in the lawful performance of duty relating to traffic control.

There is no requirement that bicycles ride single file; the cyclist that was hit was fully complying with the law when passing the person who took the video.

• brothermichigan
      1:24 pm July 10, 2017 Permalink

Also, before anyone tries to claim anything about the use of the word “vehicle” above, bicycles are legally classified as vehicles in Tennessee.

• UK Big Board Update
      1:26 pm July 10, 2017 Permalink

Looks like you were owned, jaws2. Again.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• jaws2
      1:32 pm July 10, 2017 Permalink

Thanks for the clarification brother.

UK Little Board Update, WaaaaaaaahWaaaaah! Negative in your head and up yours sir. Like I said, you sir are the one forever ‘trolling’ this board looking to stick your big pricknose into everything you don’t approve of. I’ll keep pointing your ass out. Deal with it.

• UK Big Board Update
      1:40 pm July 10, 2017 Permalink

….but was I wrong? 😉

• Parker_UKFanNC
      1:43 pm July 10, 2017 Permalink

Well the law does say that they should ride as close to the curb and that guy was on the far left side of the lane. Not saying he deserved it, but he put himself at a greater risk by being so far over. Personally, whenever I ride my bike I stay as far over as possible because I don’t want to be a pain to anyone else and I will pull over when a long line of traffic is piled up behind me. So it does bother me when other bikers take up more space than necessary. Also if you don’t like someone’s comment please just ignore it and keep whatever problem who have to yourself. You don’t have to reply to show your opinion. You don’t want his so he probably doesn’t want yours.

• TBW3011
      2:48 pm July 10, 2017 Permalink

Thank you. I’m not against cyclists, but if they all did what you do it would be much safer and far less annoying. Lol

• AllBlueAllDay
      1:44 pm July 10, 2017 Permalink

My narrative to what all was just said…

UKBBU – “oh come on guys, he’s not that great.”

Jaws2 – “what’d you say?”

BrotherMich – “HE SAID YOU’RE NOT THAT GREAT!”

UKBBU – “thanks brothermichigan”

6. 2Dogs
    1:13 pm July 10, 2017 Permalink

Bicycle throwers are an increasing risk on our nations’s roadways.

7. Mathlete
    1:13 pm July 10, 2017 Permalink

The guy’s a jerk for clipping a cyclist trying to pass in a no passing zone and driving off, but why do we care what he does for a living?

• Booby Petrino
      1:32 pm July 10, 2017 Permalink

Makes for better sensationalism. We wouldn’t be too surprised if someone like Katina Powell did this, but I guess we’re supposed to be surprised a man of this stature would. Although I wouldn’t put something like this past Tom Jurich 🙂

8. MikesWay
    1:16 pm July 10, 2017 Permalink

It is amazing to me that people can just outright lie about something like this. Very glad there is video evidence to incriminate. Punishment for lying should be equally as severe!

9. ukblue22
    1:20 pm July 10, 2017 Permalink

So a guy is going to throw a $1,500 bike at a passing car? Hmm not likely.

Also, it appears he may have been passing the other rider. since bikes can’t go over top each other to pass then I’d assume they’re still allowed to pass side by side.

10. BK
    1:21 pm July 10, 2017 Permalink

Hammer Time.

11. CvilleWildcat
    1:30 pm July 10, 2017 Permalink

This really doesn’t surprise me. I routinely cycle and I’ve learned that drivers pay zero attention to cyclists. I have had people ride up beside me to pass me only to scream or yell when they get beside me and just last week I had firecrackers thrown at me. I don’t think people understand the danger in all of this.

• UK Big Board Update
      1:31 pm July 10, 2017 Permalink

It was probably jaws2.

• jaws2
      1:34 pm July 10, 2017 Permalink

• UK Big Board Update
      1:39 pm July 10, 2017 Permalink

U mad you got owned. Take the ‘L’ and walk away. Maybe sit the next few out.

• jaws2
      2:37 pm July 10, 2017 Permalink

Nope, you sir are totally owned on this board and forever will be known as He Who Has a Pricknose that sticks it where he deems necessary. You’ll prove it by replying to this.

• ukblue22
      3:24 pm July 10, 2017 Permalink

When I was still able to ride, I just assumed all the drivers were trying to kill me at all times.

And I agree, UK Big Board seems to be a major tea-bagger.

12. Duff86
    1:48 pm July 10, 2017 Permalink

What Neely did was really terrible and he could have seriously injured someone. However, here’s my contention with cyclists. Cyclists who do not follow the proper etiquette really grind my gears. Stopping at stop sings and riding single file further ensures your safety as a cyclist. There are loads of motorists out there who don’t give a flip about cyclists. Additionally, with all the texting and driving that goes on I sure as hell would not ride on a national highway where motorists are forced to pass you in another lane. It may be a scenic byway, but it is irresponsible for cyclists to be on a road where a bike lane does not exist and they cannot maintain a safe speed limit.

• UK Big Board Update
      1:56 pm July 10, 2017 Permalink

Yeah, but….

The right to the road
      The New York State Legislature took the first step toward resolving the conflict, with the passage in 1887 of “An Act in Relation to the Use of Bicycles and Tricycles.” This statute established for the first time that bicycles are “carriages,” and that cyclists are “entitled to the same rights and subject to the same restrictions” as drivers of carriages.

The statutory right to the road
      A basic statement of cyclists’ rights and responsibilities has been adopted in the vehicle codes of most American states, as well as in the Uniform Vehicle Code. It says that bicyclists have the same rights and responsibilities as operators of automobiles, except where the law specifies otherwise or where it can naturally have no applicability.

The constitutional right to the road
      While there are no sections in the United States Constitution explicitly mentioning bicycles, bicycles are recognized as [non-motorized] vehicles nationally, and several states align bicycles with the same rights and privileges as horses and/or horse carriages, which may be limited from state to state and from city to city. Bicycles can, and in some cases do, generally travel on basic streets and highways.

The right to the road by treaty
      Cyclists’ right to the road has also been enshrined in international law since 1968, with the accession of the Vienna Convention on Road Traffic. Under that treaty, bicycles have the legal status of vehicles, and cyclists enjoy the legal status of vehicle operators. There are over 150 contracting parties to the treaty, including the United States, Canada, Mexico, the United Kingdom, Ireland, almost all of Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, and China. In countries that are contracting parties, the treaty has the force of law, and its provisions have been incorporated into national law.

• jaws2
      2:38 pm July 10, 2017 Permalink

Annnnd there you go Pricknose!

• TBW3011
      2:52 pm July 10, 2017 Permalink

Exactly right. Too many cyclists want to be treated like any other vehicle. Yet when you stop at a red light they hop on the sidewalk and go right through it only to be in your way again after the light turns green. Make up your minds. You’re either like any other vehicle or your not.

• Duff86
      2:55 pm July 10, 2017 Permalink

I’m not talking about a right, statute, or a treaty. I’m talking about etiquette and safety. I’m saying cyclists put their lives at risk when traveling on highways that are not made for bicycle traffic.

13. kingave66
    2:03 pm July 10, 2017 Permalink

AHHHH!!! UK Big Board Update – You’re back!! I had honestly hoped you had killed yourself……

• Booby Petrino
      2:11 pm July 10, 2017 Permalink

Jeezus, what is wrong with people today? So much nastiness. Time for Matt to come back to the USA, people around here losing their minds without him.

• UK Big Board Update
      8:36 pm July 10, 2017 Permalink

Wish in one hand and shit in the other. I never left…. deal with it. 😉

14. david8577
    2:28 pm July 10, 2017 Permalink

That was inches away from being a homicide. Just remember folks, if you kill someone on a bicycle, you might be charged with manslaughter. If it turns out that they find evidence online of you spewing stuff about hating cyclists or hoping that they get hit online, that manslaughter charge might get changed to murder.

15. Blue Ender
    5:35 pm July 10, 2017 Permalink

My story has nothing to do with this one. That driver is at fault and should be charged.

About 2 months ago, my young daughter fell and broke her leg. She was screaming in pain as I put her in the back of my car and we headed for the hospital. Not long after we left, we met a group of cyclist (maybe 20) riding double in the lane…not on the right..but taking up the whole lane. The rider on the left was hugging the center line. We live on a rural road in Woodford Co. I tried to be patient, but my daughters screams made it difficult. The hilly terrain made it impossible to pass. I finally honked my horn and turned on my flashers and waved. One rider turned around and flipped me off. They refused to get over for the next 8 miles. I’ve never felt rage like I did that day. I’m glad that I was able to control it, but I’m not sure that some would be able to.

Needless to say I’m not a fan of cyclist clubs any more, and when I know they are out, I let my wife drive.

16. Aar
    6:25 pm July 10, 2017 Permalink

As a cyclist and motorist, I’d like to add that we all have opportunities to share the road more effectively.

Not to defend cyclists who roll through red lights and stop signs but some jurisdictions have a law that allows vehicles to proceed through red lights when the lights don’t turn green for 3 minutes.

17. BigBlueBass
    7:15 pm July 10, 2017 Permalink

Reminds me of that time I #lancearmstrong about cyclist in Lex getting in the roadway & no obeying traffic laws… the spandex twitter army cane after me… yup nothing happened just a bunch of keyboard bullies… & yes I hope they catch the Black Volvo SUV….

18. timbo
    8:49 pm July 10, 2017 Permalink

For those who haven’t actually read about this in the news (outside of the KSR blogosphere), the driver had also been reported just last week as having tried to hit another cyclist on that stretch of highway. It almost certainly was NOT an “accident”.