How Justin Rogers’ Commitment has Already Helped Kentucky

Allen Trieu | 247 Sports

Allen Trieu | 247 Sports

Justin Rogers’ commitment to Kentucky is already paying dividends.

Kentucky made a splash in the recruiting world when the tenth-ranked player in America donned a UK hat during a commitment ceremony at his high school. Less than two weeks later, Rogers said on Twitter he would take another official visit.

The Saturday afternoon news drew the ire of many fans. “Why do these kids even commit?” “It means nothing till the signature dries!”

Aside from the anger, many fans felt all hope for Rogers was lost, ripping away the good vibes following his commitment. It did nothing to change all the positive momentum on the recruiting front. While you were busy questioning the integrity of “kids these days,” two incredibly talented players from Detroit were scheduling official visits to Lexington.

This week UK will host Enzo Jennings and Makari Paige on official visits. Consensus four-star talents, Paige is the country’s No. 13 safety and Jennings is the fourth-ranked cornerback. The latter plays with Rogers at Oak Park High School.

Obviously, there are plenty of factors that went into each players’ decision to use one of their five official visits on UK. Rogers’ commitment played a significant part. It’s not so different than the impact Beau Allen’s commitment will have on Izayah Cummings. A great wide receiver wants to play with a great quarterback. Great defensive backs want to play with great pass rushers, especially ones from their hometown.

The recruitment of Justin Rogers will have plenty of peaks and valleys, hopefully ending with a peak in December. If that does not happen, Rogers will not leave UK entirely empty-handed.

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

14 Comments for How Justin Rogers’ Commitment has Already Helped Kentucky

1. StuckinLville
    11:35 am June 4, 2019 Permalink

I just don’t understand how a kid says he’s going to enroll early at the school he’s committed to but then wants to take more officials. and if they are wanting to play with him and he de-commits, you think they are gonna come here?

2. imabucket
    11:50 am June 4, 2019 Permalink

A lot of these kids have never left there state . I’d take a free trip as well. Let them enjoy the recruiting process . It only happens once .

• StuckinLville
      12:11 pm June 4, 2019 Permalink

Take all ur visits before u commit. It’s the common sense thing to do.

3. Cole28
    12:16 pm June 4, 2019 Permalink

Maybe if you’re already committed, the other schools make your visit even more extravagant, and you can go enjoy it full knowing that its not going to happen. I mean, its not like leading the school on that they are visiting, especially if that school knows the kids is already committed. Who knows.

4. bigcatrob227
    12:16 pm June 4, 2019 Permalink

Rivals have already dropped him out of their top 10

5. Gr8bigbruto
    12:39 pm June 4, 2019 Permalink

As a former d1 player, take all the visits. Its fun, its a free trip and zero stress to impress if hes already committed. Hes on top of the world right now. Wont be when he gets on campus. Enjoy it! If his hearts at UK he wont be going to another school anyway.

6. Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
    2:44 pm June 4, 2019 Permalink

Some one he highly looked up to must have been such a slut.

7. Halfway 2 BioHazard
    2:52 pm June 4, 2019 Permalink

After reading this, I’m going to tell my wife I’m going to take some official visits to other women.

• ClutchCargo
      3:09 pm June 4, 2019 Permalink

Don’t be surprised if your wife rescinds your scholarship offer as a result.

• Matt10
      4:08 pm June 4, 2019 Permalink

Thanks you two! Belly laughs!

8. joe_finebomb
    6:18 pm June 4, 2019 Permalink

I don’t understand why fans have to be so negative. We currently have a 5 star commitment from a football player. Whether he comes here or not that is something we couldn’t even say a few years ago. I’ll take each step as it comes. I hope he comes. I hope he does well if he plays for us or not. I want so bad for this football program to have success every year. I’ve watched every game I could since 97’. I’ll keep watching. I’ll keep cherishing the little victories this staff has accomplished and keep strong that we will get the players we are meant to get. And those players will give their best and that will be good enough for me.

• Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
      8:45 pm June 4, 2019 Permalink

Um Kentucky had Micah Johnson and Antonio Hall both considered 5* by at least 1 site.