Harry Giles moves announcement to November 12, out of North Carolina

Gilesmock

More basketball recruiting news! According to Phenom Hoop Report’s Rick Lewis, Harry Giles has moved his announcement from November 14 to November 12, and instead of taking place at the Phenom National Showcase in Winston-Salem, the announcement will be broadcast live on ESPN from Turner Gymnasium at Oak Hill Academy in Virginia.

There’s a couple of ways to read this. First of all, moving the announcement out of Winston-Salem doesn’t look very promising for Wake Forest, who was hoping to convince Giles to be a hometown hero. If you want to see the switch from a Kentucky slant, the fact that Giles is announcing outside of the state of North Carolina could be a bonus, I guess. Calipari did visit Giles at Oak Hill yesterday; however, Duke’s still the heavy favorite, and you can pitch the switch from their perspective as well. Maybe Giles simply wants to avoid hurting Wake and their fans’ feelings by committing to Duke in their own backyard. Or, he just wanted it to be televised and Thursday night was the only available time.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

At least we’ll know a week from tomorrow.

24 Comments for Harry Giles moves announcement to November 12, out of North Carolina

1. Rajonrondo9
    4:23 pm November 4, 2015 Permalink

I would doody in my uk underwear if he chooses UK! Go cats!

• Mixxy
      4:26 pm November 4, 2015 Permalink

I he chooses UK, I will doody in your uk underwear also!

• Rajonrondo9
      4:41 pm November 4, 2015 Permalink

Mixxy your comment made me laugh for so long! lol

• Leuther
      10:27 pm November 4, 2015 Permalink

No chance of any doody since Giles has long been a lock for Dook…

2. WildcatNDallas
    4:27 pm November 4, 2015 Permalink

I would love Giles to come to UK. Would be an incredible last second steal. I am highly doubtful but hope I am wrong.

3. Sandwich
    4:28 pm November 4, 2015 Permalink

I think this just solidifies that he’s not going to Wake more than it means he’s coming to UK. If he did choose the CATS and we get Fox and Monk…forget about it.

• Will
      4:37 pm November 4, 2015 Permalink

Something has changed though. He’s known all along the date and venue.

4. Homer
    4:37 pm November 4, 2015 Permalink

Until we hear from someone with inside sources that He,s moving toward UK I won’t believe anything other than he’s headed to Duke

5. Randy
    4:45 pm November 4, 2015 Permalink

Why change the date and venue the day after Cal visits if it has nothing to do with Cal? Either Cal has got him and wants the usual hype over a UK pick or Kryshftedskey is worried and wants 2 less days for Cal to work his magic but if the latter is the case why not just announce tomorrow and get it over with.

• WildcatRay
      5:25 pm November 4, 2015 Permalink

I’m just impressed you spelled Kzyshadorksy’s name right! Nicely done

• tkg
      5:53 pm November 4, 2015 Permalink

Sheshefsky ain’t getting garry hiles you crazy!

6. leon singleton
    4:48 pm November 4, 2015 Permalink

If he wants TV time and fan love come to Kentucky.

7. Andrew
    5:00 pm November 4, 2015 Permalink

Think Cal is simply making his last pitch/sign of interest in Giles – believe he did the same with Andrew Wiggins before he picked Kansas. BUT, Wiggins was going up against a UK class that already had Harrison’s, James Young, Marcus Lee, Julius Randle and others. Cal’s class so far doesn’t have as nearly as many guys committed already nor are as many spots accounted for on the team. Still think Duke gets him, but you never know with Cal.

8. ArnoldthePig
    5:03 pm November 4, 2015 Permalink

Are you saying number 10 is automatic if we get Giles to UK?

• Ha!
      5:20 pm November 4, 2015 Permalink

No, but it means blasting Louisville by 40 at the Bum Center. For the second year in a row. 😉

• UKBlue1!
      5:21 pm November 4, 2015 Permalink

Who’s number 10?

• ukjaybrat
      5:39 pm November 4, 2015 Permalink

Think he means 10 championships. As in were Already getting 9 this year

9. Smitty
    5:20 pm November 4, 2015 Permalink

FYI, Giles got hurt 2 minutes into the game last night. Appears to be a knee injury, hopefully nothing serious. MRI results haven’t come back yet…

10. Megan
    5:24 pm November 4, 2015 Permalink

Oak Hill Academy is hardly outside the state of North Carolina.

• Umm..
      5:37 pm November 4, 2015 Permalink

Because it’s in Virginia, it’s not in North Carolina. So that means it’s outside North Carolina. Because it’s in Virginia. Get it?

11. Gi doc
    6:00 pm November 4, 2015 Permalink

I have been very positive about a Fox, Monk and Giles package deal. Coach Calipari has focused his attention on these three players. These three players were together at Kansas the week before before coming to Big Blue madness. In fact, we brought only the players we wanted to Big Blue madness.There were several articles by the recruiting specialists detailing a positive relationship between these players. Harry Giles himself said to his coach that Fox and Monk may play together. His coach also said that previously he thought Giles was leaning to Duke but after visiting Kentucky things had changed and he was not sure(ie His coach intimated that his favorite made no longer be Duke). Harry Giles has 30,000 followers on Twitter andis following more than 1600 people such as Coach Cal, Brad Calipari, lamb, Skal, humphries and the other day picked up two more Kentucky players. I believe because this is not rocket science, you can read the tea leaves to some degree and we are as close as we were with miles bridges. Coach Cal is visiting to close the deal and is becoming more proactive.(he is responding the negative recruiting) He said that other night” with what we have done everyone should come here, but some don’t”
    Regardless of these comments, I listen very closely to Coach Cal and if you listen to his words closely he says a lot in code. He lost Miles Brdges but is determined not to lose these three. I trust in Cal and so should the rest of Big Blue nation.

• UKfaninLou
      6:12 pm November 4, 2015 Permalink

Agree that we should just trust Coach Cal. I was remembering last fall and early spring when everyone was moaning and groaning because Cal was “whiffing” on all the great players. Did y’all see the team he put on the court Monday?! Lol.
      That said, it would be great to pull this guy out from under Krsyjhfykjfdhi’s pointy nose.

12. Ky_Tom
    9:21 pm November 4, 2015 Permalink

Not going to hold my breath on getting Giles….I don’t like it when Cal goes up against Duke in recruiting…But I got to think, that coach K, is on His way out in a couple years. He will turn 69 years old in 3 months, Feb 2016.
    I’m giving Him 3 years at best its my guess at age 72 at the end of that season in March 2019 Coach K will retire from coaching .I mean the man has every record out there, except the # of NCAA Championships. This is why Coach K is now recruiting the “‘One and Done types””…trying to catch Duke up with those in front like UK with 8..So I believe K wants nothing more than to catch UK, but if Coach Cal stays around a few more years as well, You have to think UK will win # 9, maybe even #10 in the next 5 to 7 years or so…….This is why I believe Duke wins this battle….I don’t like it…I hope like heck I’m wrong.

• jwa
      2:30 pm November 5, 2015 Permalink

Who knows what coach k will do? He might coach until he’s 80. Regardless, I do agree that Kentucky will win at least 2 more titles in the next 5 to 7 years.