Harry Giles is going to Duke

Screen Shot 2015-11-06 at 12.06.02 PM

As expected, Harry Giles, the nation’s best high school basketball player, will attend Duke University to play for Coach Kryskskskwksieski next fall. His commitment gives Duke the No. 1 recruiting class once again, at least for the time being.

Before announcing his decision live on ESPN, Giles said he didn’t make up his mind until this past weekend. I’m not saying the young man told a fib on national television, but it has been Duke for several months.

Giles’ best friend, Jayson Tatum, is a Duke commit; Giles is from nearby Winston-Salem, North Carolina; and his first ACL/MCL surgery was done at Duke two years ago. Tough to compete with all that.

Article written by Drew Franklin

18 Comments for Harry Giles is going to Duke

1. Bluebros
    12:21 pm November 6, 2015 Permalink

Seems like a good kid… Couldn’t go wrong with any of those schools. NEXT!!!!

2. UKALLDAY1
    12:22 pm November 6, 2015 Permalink

Shocker!! We will be just fine with Wenyen and Sacha Killeya. If we can get the 2 guards Monk and Fox and close things out with Jarret Allen then I think we should have the best class AGAIN! Of course ESPN is going to rank Duke ahead of us still.

3. Catsby80
    12:25 pm November 6, 2015 Permalink

Not worried about class ranking at all.. Let Cal get his guys and we’ll be fine. #1 class does not equal national championship… Wish the kid a healthy recovery from his knee injury and hope to play them in the final 4. Go cats.

4. RockyMountainWildcat
    12:28 pm November 6, 2015 Permalink

2 serious knee injuries including 3 separate torn ligaments by 18? Ouch. I’m a little surprised analysts and scouts don’t seem more concerned about that long term.

We all knew this was coming today, so best of luck to him at Duke. Fox, Monk, Killeya-Jones, and Gabriel would be a great class. I also wouldn’t be surprised if Cal once again pulls a rabbit out of the hat in this next group, a la Jamal Murray.

5. bbn4LIFE
    12:29 pm November 6, 2015 Permalink

If we get monk and fox it’s over. Give us number 10.

6. Cousins Fake Tooth
    12:37 pm November 6, 2015 Permalink

After tearing his knee for a second time I am fine with him.going to duke. Very injury prone and we don’t need a major injury in the middle of a season.

• JamalCurray
      1:39 pm November 6, 2015 Permalink

I agree 100%. After two major injuries I don’t think he will be the same type of player when he recovers.

7. Kevin C
    12:42 pm November 6, 2015 Permalink

Yeah, I’m not bothered by this at all. I’m sure he’s a good kid, but we need guys who can literally hit the ground running, when they get to campus, and contribute immediately. Also, you can’t tell me his injury history won’t affect him…just ask Alex.

8. BobTheBuilder
    12:49 pm November 6, 2015 Permalink

Anyone know why we haven’t heard of Cal going after Josh Jackson? #1 overall player on multiple recruiting services. Always trust Cal but just curious.

• bbnr3
      1:17 pm November 6, 2015 Permalink

I don’t know that we actually ever offered him. I think he is more of a me first player which Cal may think means he isn’t a fit for UK

• UKALLDAY1
      2:42 pm November 6, 2015 Permalink

I mentioned earlier this week that the guy has not taken one official visit and that usually means the kid is having academic issues, similar to Thon Maker. Typically Calipari recruits good students, all those 3.0 team GPA semesters don’t just happen by chance. So a offer might never come his way.

9. mollydoglikesUK
    1:59 pm November 6, 2015 Permalink

I predict he has the injury rate of Derek Rose.

10. 54Meeks
    2:02 pm November 6, 2015 Permalink

If Cal doesn’t already know how important that game is on Nov 17th to him and the program, he does now.

11. Megan
    2:27 pm November 6, 2015 Permalink

In other news, we have a game in a few hours.

12. poppycat
    2:44 pm November 6, 2015 Permalink

Can a Soph Humphries compete with a Fr Giles?

13. shelby
    3:05 pm November 6, 2015 Permalink

Best of luck to this young man–but I too was a little worried about getting a kid with a history of knee injuries. Hopefully, he’ll stay healthy at duke, but it would suck to get him and them have him blow out a knee, never play a full season, and then bolt for the nba.

14. symphonist41169
    3:29 pm November 6, 2015 Permalink

Sounds like the 2nd coming of Sam Bowie. All the great hype out of high school could never overcome the injuries and didn’t bring Joe B. a 2nd title.

15. Megan
    4:15 pm November 6, 2015 Permalink

Drew politely accuses Giles of lying when he said he didn’t make up his mind until this past weekend. This raises the question whether the young man has an issue with truthfulness that might be as important as his injured knees, or whether Drew (along with a lot of other people) is delusional in convincing himself that he knew for several months now what was inside of the young man’s mind.

I’m going with delusional. I think Drew ‘s making an unwarranted slur against the young man’s character. You can’t mistake the Crystal Ball for fact. It’s just the collective opinion/guesswork of outsiders. If the young man says he didn’t make up his mind until this past weekend, I’m inclined to believe him. I’m not going to assume he’s lying.

Something’s wrong when Drew is more certain than Calipari where a recruit is going to end up.